Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mycroft Holmes posted:

ISIS vs the Afrika Corps

Whoever loses, we win!

Didn't they have the SS beat the Viet Cong on that show? That seems bullshit to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What does SS have that VC doean't, besiedes reams of unearned worship for badassitude? VC is as ready to die as the SS and have better weapons.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

What does SS have that VC doean't, besiedes reams of unearned worship for badassitude? VC is as ready to die as the SS and have better weapons.

Deadliest Warrior tended to do really awful match-ups that just involve a handful of weapons chosen based on how distinct they are. The VC got punji stakes for their special weapon. The SS got a flamethrower.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yea if I recall it was one on one match ups. Not sure on that because I never watched more than five minutes of that hot garbage

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JcDent posted:

A total lack of tactical sense that got a lot of bad guys killed?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

There where some matchups that where really dumb because one side would get a weapon and the other side would pick a nonlethal or extremely situational weapon. The fights where really cool and decently choreographed though especially the modern ones where it was five vs five, other than that the show was really bad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FastestGunAlive posted:

Yea if I recall it was one on one match ups. Not sure on that because I never watched more than five minutes of that hot garbage

It was one-on-one for a lot of them, but any of the ones that didn't involve a single awesome warrior in combat was I think five-on-five. Literally the only good part of the show was seeing ballistic gel dummies get wrecked and splatter blood everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHSXZnxLZ0I

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
*stares at the wall remembering that German pioneers Warsaw Uprising recollections about the SS*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

It was one-on-one for a lot of them, but any of the ones that didn't involve a single awesome warrior in combat was I think five-on-five. Literally the only good part of the show was seeing ballistic gel dummies get wrecked and splatter blood everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHSXZnxLZ0I

The good part of the show was watching the literal "IRA vs Al Qaeda five a side murdermatch in a car park" episode.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Be happy the SS vs VC one wasn't Hitler vs. Ho Chi Min.

Because if it was a later season...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4znD_Qp_Y1Y

:shepface:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How does an insurgency fight another insurgency? It's like a game of hide and seek with no seekers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

How does an insurgency fight another insurgency? It's like a game of hide and seek with no seekers.

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7iYY-yV3So

It's science.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Mostly by competing at brutalising the civilian population.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Wasn't Deadliest Warrior's super awesome simulation calculations just literally comparing weapon specs and some bullshit numbers they came up with and then feeding them into a computer to see which came out with more kills?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHHitXxH-us

You bastards, we've been planning this for months!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlothfulCobra posted:

You know the IRA literally did that for most of the troubles, right? By the time the Good Friday Agreement was signed there were even multiple feuding factions nominally on the same side.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Argas posted:

Wasn't Deadliest Warrior's super awesome simulation calculations just literally comparing weapon specs and some bullshit numbers they came up with and then feeding them into a computer to see which came out with more kills?

Sounds like someone is upset that science has proven Washington a better general than Napoleon. :smug:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Argas posted:

I remember some show on Animal Planet that was the same thing but for animals (could a gorilla beat a leopard?) and about equally as dumb. I don't think they ever fought in a car park though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Sounds like someone is upset that science has proven Washington a better general than Napoleon. :smug:

Well to be fair, the same sort of tactics the guerrilla militia, freedom fighters and fragments of the Spanish armies did use kicked the poo poo out of the French behind their own lines during the war in Spain.

They needed to deploy armies constantly just for supplies and communications stretching their forces whilst fighting the Anglo-Portuguese forces at the same time as dealing with that. Ironically though, a lot of the Washington-esqe men of these operations didn't exactly have a good career after they got rid of Napoleon.

The American Revolution did trigger a lot of change in military thinking and tactics.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Syria.exe

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Argas posted:

This is how the vast majority of simulation or modelling is done :ssh:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Man, we should have sent IRA to fight the taliban with flamethrowers and bus bombs.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

OwlFancier posted:

The good part of the show was watching the literal "IRA vs Al Qaeda five a side murdermatch in a car park" episode.

I tabbed over from a pro wrestling thread and was momentarily confused.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Deadliest Warrior tended to do really awful match-ups that just involve a handful of weapons chosen based on how distinct they are. The VC got punji stakes for their special weapon. The SS got a flamethrower.

So... the SS guy staggered along under the weight of his weapon then fell into a pit and died?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I don't think that Panzer IV would fare that well against an RPG-2. On the other hand, VC probably didn't have much in the way of artillery support...

Lol @ the special weapon slot, do they get loadouts like in call of duty?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Speaking of SS, what were the units/formations that deservedly had the elite status, instead of being Dirlewangers or other people that only excelled against noncombatants?

Of course, since I'm now convinced that elite units are elite because of their higher willingness to die to a man and not because of any particular fighting skills, it's probably a pointless question.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think we should elevate Dirlewanger to a usable term, now :3

And yes, perseverance is actually a highly desirable trait in fighting men. It won't replace training, mind you, and particularly not when OKH East keeps ordering you to do bullshit things because Hitler thinks it would be swell.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Argas posted:

I'm pretty sure that much-vaunted :airquote:computer simulation:airquote: pretty much boiled down to a random number generator. Assign each weapon a certain chance to kill, run a hundred tests, and count the number of times that weapon scored a kill. Science!

The best/worst one I watched was Napoleon vs. George Washington. For that, they tested Washington's rifled muskets against Napoleonic smoothbore muskets. So you have one weapon that's quite accurate but takes long to reload versus one that's relatively quick to reload but not as accurate. So how do you fairly test those against each other? They gave both guns a set number of shots and counted the total hits, completely handwaving how long it took them to get those hits :downs:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5cBkhYBVt8

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Perestroika posted:

I'm pretty sure that much-vaunted :airquote:computer simulation:airquote: pretty much boiled down to a random number generator. Assign each weapon a certain chance to kill, run a hundred tests, and count the number of times that weapon scored a kill. Science!

The best/worst one I watched was Napoleon vs. George Washington. For that, they tested Washington's rifled muskets against Napoleonic smoothbore muskets. So you have one weapon that's quite accurate but takes long to reload versus one that's relatively quick to reload but not as accurate. So how do you fairly test those against each other? They gave both guns a set number of shots and counted the total hits, completely handwaving how long it took them to get those hits :downs:

Man that faith in the Kentucky Rifle is insane.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

JcDent posted:

Speaking of SS, what were the units/formations that deservedly had the elite status, instead of being Dirlewangers or other people that only excelled against noncombatants?

Of course, since I'm now convinced that elite units are elite because of their higher willingness to die to a man and not because of any particular fighting skills, it's probably a pointless question.

By the end of the war the first few divisions in the panzer corps were at least veteran. Their early debut actions were not good at all though, they took unnecessary losses during operation star and the backhand blow because they didn't properly recon although they did at least do a good job of keeping the Soviets off balance with continual pressure.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

SeanBeansShako posted:

Man that faith in the Kentucky Rifle is insane.

Don't you badmouth the American flintlock rifle, boy.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

it's a german gun, son

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Hogge Wild posted:

it's a german gun, son

So immigrants can't be American?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

So immigrants can't be American?

I dunno if you follow US politics but........

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

CoffeeBooze posted:

I dunno if you follow US politics but........

I'm gonna have to give up my Mameluke Sword, aren't I?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Faith in numbers, not the quality of the gun. It killed two pretty drat good British Army generals.

I'd pay good money to see all the Kentucky Rifle using Huntsmen against the elite of Napoleonic Light Infantry.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Thump! posted:

I'm gonna have to give up my Mameluke Sword, aren't I?

Call it a Marmaduke sword, you'll be okay.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

E: if you actually want to get a Soviet watch there are literally hundreds on ebay. Half the fun is identifying non-original watches made of spare parts in a Ukrainian basement!

Do you have any useful tips for doing this? There appears to be approximately one jillion such items on ebay and I am in way over my head here :/

Patrick Spens posted:

Couple questions about that: Does that include NCOs or just commissioned officers? And can't your superior shoot you for disobeying an order during wartime?

The "standards" if you will, for disobeying an order are different for enlisted than they are for officers; the oath of office is to "uphold the constitution", the oath of enlistment is to "obey the orders of those above me". That said, there is still an overriding precedent that illegal orders be countermanded or ignored, but in practice this is pretty tricky - the burden of proof is with the one who disobeyed the order, and the breadth of "legal" is pretty...wide.

In any case there isn't any mechanism for legally performing a summary execution of someone who disobeys an order nor has there been since....maybe the Civil War? Maybe not even then, I'm not sure. Due process still applies in the military; if you disobey an order you're arrested and then charged with whatever it is you violated (failure to obey order, misbehavior in front of the enemy, desertion, etc), and then you have a trial just like anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Anyone have an opinion about Rogan's The Fall of the Ottomans? It's right up my alley as far as subject matter and I'm looking at it on sale at the bookstore.