Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

BobTheJanitor posted:

That WH report seems to shy away from advocating any kind of basic income solution and only hints at vague things like 'increasing the social safety net' while mostly falling back on retraining as the solution. Which, of course, doesn't deal with the obvious question of what you're going to be retraining these people for as more and more jobs automate away, or how you're going to fit the millions of people in need of retraining into a system that's hardly built to contain them.

There are a few experiments in basic income going on in other countries, though. And past experiments in the area have shown that most of the assumptions people make about it are wrong. Most people receiving it don't stop working, they tend to be healthier and more productive, it helps the local economy and encourages entrepreneurs to try new business ideas. You'd think that would be a bipartisan win-win. But no, we live in a post-sanity society, so we'll probably soon be screaming BOOTSTRAPS at each other while we fight over the last scraps of rat meat.

Again, the current situation only requires that people get 2-year degrees in addition to a high school diploma. Maybe one day when 4-year degrees are obsolete it will be time to give up on education as the solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Why is two years a real solution and not four? Why not a PhD? The job market isn't demanding higher and higher academic credentials because a normally clever person who'd have been a machinist in 1960 couldn't figure out how to use Microsoft Outlook without an associates' in math. The job market demands degrees because it's contracting and employers can take their pick from the hundreds of applicants struggling to find work, so an otherwise intelligent accomplished person with a high school diploma is at a crushing competitive disadvantage against scores of equally desperate intelligent accomplished people who do have one. When everybody has a college degree, the goalpost for basic employability will shift to the next thing that makes a candidate stand out from a hundred others, and the next, indefinitely so long as there's substantially more people with the same baseline qualifications who need a job to live than there are jobs to help keep them alive.

UBI addresses this problem by exchanging the promise of a basic living (and, looking at what a 6+ month gap in your resume can do to you already, the promise you'll never again see better than that) for surrendering ownership of everything to the capitalist class and giving up the last bargaining chip the average worker has in negotiating with the rich - the economic value of their labor. It's a reversion to feudalism, except this time around the nobles don't actually need 99% of the serfs for anything at all, which through mysterious means translates to they'll happily underwrite them taking up a life of fingerpainting and playing DOTA indefinitely.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 23, 2016

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Why is two years a real solution and not four? Why not a PhD? The job market isn't demanding higher and higher academic credentials because a normally clever person who'd have been a machinist in 1960 couldn't figure out how to use Microsoft Outlook without an associates' in math. The job market demands degrees because it's contracting and employers can take their pick from the hundreds of applicants struggling to find work, so an otherwise intelligent accomplished person with a high school diploma is at a crushing competitive disadvantage against scores of equally desperate intelligent accomplished people who do have one. When everybody has a college degree, the goalpost for basic employability will shift to the next thing that makes a candidate stand out from a hundred others, and the next, indefinitely so long as there's substantially more people with the same baseline qualifications who need a job to live than there are jobs to help keep them alive.

UBI addresses this problem by exchanging the promise of a basic living for surrendering ownership of everything to the capitalist class and giving up the last bargaining chip the average worker has in negotiating with the rich - the economic value of their labor. It's a reversion to feudalism, except the nobles only actually need like one in one hundred serfs to grow all their food this time around, which through mysterious means translates to they'll happily underwrite the other 99 taking up a life of fingerpainting and playing DOTA instead indefinitely.

These aren't vanity degrees, it's the simple fact that there isn't time to teach CNC/medical specializations/etc in high school. Some day I'm sure you'll be correct and UBI will be a necessity, but it's not going to be for quite a while.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Not everyone's going to be a CNC operator or a radiologist, though. In fact, you couldn't employ even one in a hundred people doing that; there'd be nothing for them to do! An associates' degree won't help you get into those positions even now, and we've got no shortage of aspiring doctors and engineers with better qualifications than that who still can't get jobs.

And you're misreading me: UBI will never become "a necessity", it's a dead end predicated on the fantasy that if you let them have all the money and power in the world the Goldman Sachs board of directors will ask the government to redistribute it to you.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 23, 2016

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Not everyone's going to be a CNC operator or a radiologist, though. In fact, you couldn't employ even one in a hundred people doing that; there'd be nothing for them to do! An associates' degree won't help you get into those positions even now, and we've got no shortage of aspiring doctors and engineers with better qualifications than that who still can't get jobs.

And you're misreading me: UBI will never become "a necessity", it's a dead end. Literally, for lots of people.

That is currently not even remotely true. Employers are desperate for people with relevant 2-year degrees, and even more so for good doctors and engineers.

edit: and I'm sure the next argument will be "then they should pay more" and the circle will thus remain unbroken

SaTaMaS fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 23, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

It seems like UBI almost requires a functional economy in order to start it rolling. If we wait and try to implement it when it appears to be a necessity, after 50% of the population is out of a job and monetary circulation has flatlined, it would probably be too late. What transactions are you going to tax in order to fund it?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The ideal solution is probably socializing the means of production, not just giving everyone a paycheck. But that's never going to happen and neither will UBI.

Having said that, i'm skeptical that automation is really happening. Technology is moving more slowly these days. Things aren't rapidly advancing. AI is still a buzzword that doesn't mean anything. Selfdriving cars, for example, are pure hype. We're still decades and decades away from having the necessary technology. Robots are still dumb and slow. There are jobs that are threatened by automation but it's mostly stuff that can already be done over the internet. For things that require face-to-face communication, skilled labor, the trades, food service, etc., humans will still be doing those jobs. Maybe bank tellers are going the way of the dodo, but if you're a mechanic, electrician, plumber, teacher, doctor, nurse, caretaker, salesman, or work in food service at any level, you're safe. Delivery drivers and truck drivers are probably safe, too.

The problem is that many of us are going to be wage slaves for the rest of our lives.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BobTheJanitor posted:

It seems like UBI almost requires a functional economy in order to start it rolling. If we wait and try to implement it when it appears to be a necessity, after 50% of the population is out of a job and monetary circulation has flatlined, it would probably be too late. What transactions are you going to tax in order to fund it?

Yeah, but once you are living in the singularity to the point that 50% of all jobs are replaced by robots money as a concept is obsolete.

like you can't dream of living that far into a sci-fi story but pretend that wouldn't change anything else in society.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, the thing everyone is worried about is that the sci fi story we're going to end up with is Womack's Ambient/Random Acts of Senseless Violence.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Blue Star posted:

AI is still a buzzword that doesn't mean anything.
Every time we make computers smarter in a particular domain, the goalposts instantly move and people declare "well that's not AI, that's just an algorithm, [next thing] is AI" and the process repeats. Production services have made huge strides in natural language processing and computer vision the past few years. That's AI.

I work on Google Photos. When we had our 1.0 launch with automatic content search and face clustering, it was a big deal. Yes, those existed in some academic form or in a lower-quality consumer form (Flickr) a bit earlier, but AFAIK this was the first time in a major consumer service where the quality was generally good (my sister has identical twin boys, and it could tell them apart even in baby pictures, when even she struggled). Now this probably didn't eliminate any jobs, some AI advances will be like this where they're just a minor quality of life improvement. It's still machine intelligence though.

quote:

Selfdriving cars, for example, are pure hype. We're still decades and decades away from having the necessary technology.
Lol no they're not. I mean I know D&D likes to mindlessly hate on technology (and some projections like Musk's are clearly very aggressive/optimistic) but you can't possibly think they're actually several decades away for the general case. Basically every car manufacturer thinks it'll be ready at least by like 2030.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cicero posted:

(my sister has identical twin boys, and it could tell them apart even in baby pictures, when even she struggled).

Was info about this published anywhere becuase that is super interesting

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Nevvy Z posted:

Was info about this published anywhere becuase that is super interesting
I dunno that's just something she and her husband told me. As far as computer vision work in general I think Googlers publish some stuff yeah. I just work on the Android client myself so I'm not aware of most of the details, but there's more info if you google around: https://research.googleblog.com/2015/06/google-computer-vision-research-at-cvpr.html?m=1

Edit: looks like my sister isn't the only one with this story:

quote:

Google Photos is scary good in face recognition

u/clutchswag11m

In the plethora of pictures of my gallery, I have pictures with identical twins. I've never taken a picture with both of them together, but Google Photos can differentiate both of them as different people. Thats wicked crazy!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/40ozkh/google_photos_is_scary_good_in_face_recognition/

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 23, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blue Star posted:

The ideal solution is probably socializing the means of production, not just giving everyone a paycheck. But that's never going to happen and neither will UBI.

Having said that, i'm skeptical that automation is really happening. Technology is moving more slowly these days. Things aren't rapidly advancing. AI is still a buzzword that doesn't mean anything. Selfdriving cars, for example, are pure hype. We're still decades and decades away from having the necessary technology. Robots are still dumb and slow. There are jobs that are threatened by automation but it's mostly stuff that can already be done over the internet. For things that require face-to-face communication, skilled labor, the trades, food service, etc., humans will still be doing those jobs. Maybe bank tellers are going the way of the dodo, but if you're a mechanic, electrician, plumber, teacher, doctor, nurse, caretaker, salesman, or work in food service at any level, you're safe. Delivery drivers and truck drivers are probably safe, too.

The problem is that many of us are going to be wage slaves for the rest of our lives.

"technology" isn't a Sid Meier's Civilization score that's easy to quantify but there've been absolutely tremendous changes in how we relate to work and what work it is we do in the past three decades, prompted by technology. Networked computers are blowing steam engines out of the water, like imagine trying to explain this sentence

quote:

There are jobs that are threatened by automation but it's mostly stuff that can already be done over the internet.
to someone living thirty years ago (p.s. the internet is, itself, automation on a massive scale)

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Blue Star posted:

Selfdriving cars, for example, are pure hype. We're still decades and decades away from having the necessary technology.

:what:

I'm not even sure if I'm falling for troll bait, but... the basic technology is here, and it works. it's only a matter of regulations catching up at this point.

Like, yeah, if you want to get technical, we don't have anything that you can just punch in a destination and then take a nap while it drives you there through all weather conditions, yet. But normal city or highway driving are perfectly doable and have been done.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I know I'm mirroring the same exact thing that has been said a hundred times in this thread, but people going "lol self driving cars are a fantasy" forget that we already have cars in the market that have an auto-parking feature. It's not gonna be "BOOM self-driving cars overnight!", it's going to be more gradual, first you'll get a "highway mode", or "doze-off protection" - it's always in the form of stuff that helps take the load off tasks, until suddenly the transition from "car that -almost- drives itself" to "car that drives itself" is so blurry that you didn't even notice you had it.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Pochoclo posted:

I know I'm mirroring the same exact thing that has been said a hundred times in this thread, but people going "lol self driving cars are a fantasy" forget that we already have cars in the market that have an auto-parking feature. It's not gonna be "BOOM self-driving cars overnight!", it's going to be more gradual, first you'll get a "highway mode", or "doze-off protection" - it's always in the form of stuff that helps take the load off tasks, until suddenly the transition from "car that -almost- drives itself" to "car that drives itself" is so blurry that you didn't even notice you had it.

It's not even the cars that are the big thing for jobs in particular, it's trucks, and there's already at least half a dozen different groups with working rigs. Most of them expect the first self driving trucks to be on the highways in around 5 years.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Google photos thinks I am like twelve different people.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, but once you are living in the singularity to the point that 50% of all jobs are replaced by robots money as a concept is obsolete.

like you can't dream of living that far into a sci-fi story but pretend that wouldn't change anything else in society.

So at what point does the wizard wave his magic wand and instantly change society? When 20% of jobs are automated? 30%? 40%? Hell, who's even been counting how many jobs have been automated away over the past five or ten years? Social change isn't something that just magically happens - it's something that has to be pushed for. We can't just sit back and say "well, if the problem gets REAL bad I'm sure someone will solve it". Hell, look at how well that's worked for climate change.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

We can't just sit back and say "well, if the problem gets REAL bad I'm sure someone will solve it". Hell, look at how well that's worked for climate change.

I mean, if things get real bad and we don't have any plans in place, there will be a solution, but it's not going to be a good one. Once the riots and wars destroy all the technology along with half of the population, we'll no longer have the problem of joblessness to worry about! :v:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BobTheJanitor posted:

I mean, if things get real bad and we don't have any plans in place, there will be a solution, but it's not going to be a good one. Once the riots and wars destroy all the technology along with half of the population, we'll no longer have the problem of joblessness to worry about! :v:

Just remember to not blow up the automated food factories.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

So at what point does the wizard wave his magic wand and instantly change society? When 20% of jobs are automated? 30%? 40%? Hell, who's even been counting how many jobs have been automated away over the past five or ten years? Social change isn't something that just magically happens - it's something that has to be pushed for. We can't just sit back and say "well, if the problem gets REAL bad I'm sure someone will solve it". Hell, look at how well that's worked for climate change.

Do you understand the technological progress you are talking about to talk about a world where 40% of all the jobs in US can be done by computers?

Hey man, at least it's progress that I went from the only guy saying the singularity was near five years ago to all of D&D thinking that too but just deciding "but literally the only thing it might change is the unemployment rate"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do you understand the technological progress you are talking about to talk about a world where 40% of all the jobs in US can be done by computers?

Hey man, at least it's progress that I went from the only guy saying the singularity was near five years ago to all of D&D thinking that too but just deciding "but literally the only thing it might change is the unemployment rate"

That study is saying 40% of all jobs which exist right now are at risk of being automated, not that 40% of all jobs will be done by machines or software within two decades. Some of those jobs will be replaced as they're lost and some of the innovations that lead to jobs being lost will end up creating more work. These studies aren't saying anything about the number of people will be unemployed in the future. No one is seriously suggesting that half of all work will be automated in two decades, but there are still major issues to deal with:

1. How many jobs will be lost without being replaced? The WH report notes that the US economy can absorb about 6% annual job loss just as a result of normal business operations. It's possible automation will start causing an actual drain on total jobs at some point, but we'd still end up in an employment crisis if job growth just slows enough to no longer keep pace with population growth. Recession level (ie, 8% or more) unemployment over a long period would destroy the economy.

2. If automation has a constructive effect on the labor market, where will it create new jobs? If middle income jobs are lost to create high and low income jobs, that's going to be almost as bad as automation just destroying jobs outright. Arguably worse, because an unemployment crisis will force political action in a way that falling wages won't.

The issues with automation are way the gently caress more boring than some ridiculous idea that we're approaching the singularity and a third of all human labor will be unnecessary. The biggest threat is that the labor that we're socially willing to provide a living wage for will be automated and replaced (at least in part) by work that we value less and that no one will care or even notice.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

That study is saying 40% of all jobs which exist right now are at risk of being automated, not that 40% of all jobs will be done by machines or software within two decades. Some of those jobs will be replaced as they're lost and some of the innovations that lead to jobs being lost will end up creating more work. These studies aren't saying anything about the number of people will be unemployed in the future. No one is seriously suggesting that half of all work will be automated in two decades, but there are still major issues to deal with:

1. How many jobs will be lost without being replaced? The WH report notes that the US economy can absorb about 6% annual job loss just as a result of normal business operations. It's possible automation will start causing an actual drain on total jobs at some point, but we'd still end up in an employment crisis if job growth just slows enough to no longer keep pace with population growth. Recession level (ie, 8% or more) unemployment over a long period would destroy the economy.

2. If automation has a constructive effect on the labor market, where will it create new jobs? If middle income jobs are lost to create high and low income jobs, that's going to be almost as bad as automation just destroying jobs outright. Arguably worse, because an unemployment crisis will force political action in a way that falling wages won't.

The issues with automation are way the gently caress more boring than some ridiculous idea that we're approaching the singularity and a third of all human labor will be unnecessary. The biggest threat is that the labor that we're socially willing to provide a living wage for will be automated and replaced (at least in part) by work that we value less and that no one will care or even notice.

You are talking about advancements in technology to the point most human endeavors can be done by machines for less than the price of minimum wage. Do you get the level of sci fi fantasy world that is?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You are talking about advancements in technology to the point most human endeavors can be done by machines for less than the price of minimum wage. Do you get the level of sci fi fantasy world that is?

Yes, 2016

Like, this already happened

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I specifically said that one of the dangers of automation (a thing which is literally happening right now) is downward wage pressure. In other words, I was saying the exact opposite of what you're implying - that we'll probably see more jobs around the minimum wage level because it's a floor that automation is unlikely to breach for a while in most industries. This is a bad thing.

Edit-
I don't know how much clearer I can make this. Nobody is talking about all human jobs going away. That 47% figure is talking about jobs that exist right now. Even if that number is accurate, we have no idea how that will translate into future employment. Like, that isn't even an unprecedented number. Go back to a time when 90% of the population was engaged in agricultural labor and you would have been 100% correct to say that a huge portion of those jobs will be automated or simply no longer exist in the future.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 25, 2016

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Blue Star posted:

Having said that, i'm skeptical that automation is really happening. Technology is moving more slowly these days. Things aren't rapidly advancing.

Do yourself a favor and get an annual subscription to New Scientist. It's weekly, and will assuage any concerns that technology isn't moving at breakneck speeds.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

i am harry posted:

Do yourself a favor and get an annual subscription to New Scientist. It's weekly, and will assuage any concerns that technology isn't moving at breakneck speeds.

Or just head over to phys.org or similar websites. Sure, computation isn't moving as fast as it did during the last 30 years, but look at stuff like bioengineering, metamaterials, stuff like practical applications of graphene and DNA nanomachinery. Also the amazing range of luminal manipulation of organics that has been achieved lately - such as discrete neuronal stimulation via focused light beams.

If you're willing to dig a bit under the surface, it's frankly bloody amazing how much we're advancing on those fields lately.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

I don't know how much clearer I can make this. Nobody is talking about all human jobs going away. That 47% figure is talking about jobs that exist right now. Even if that number is accurate, we have no idea how that will translate into future employment. Like, that isn't even an unprecedented number. Go back to a time when 90% of the population was engaged in agricultural labor and you would have been 100% correct to say that a huge portion of those jobs will be automated or simply no longer exist in the future.

I don't know how simple I can make this: You don't get to circlejerk about the singularity but decide the only effect it has is changing the unemployment rate.

Like this is the worst D&D trend. Apparently levels of technology that approach unimaginable magic are going to appear in the next few years, able to do nearly anything a person can do and more. But apparently the only effect of this is job loss? It makes no other changes?

It's like those lovely fantasy books where magic and dragons exist and are common but everyone just lives in regular old medieval villages because the author didn't want to bother thinking about the effects magic would have on society beyond whatever stupid story they wanted.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

You're the only person in this thread talking about the singularity, unless you believe that computer spreadsheets and search engines are technology approaching unimaginable magic.

Do you understand that you could go back and write a report for the White House in 1880 saying that 30-40% of current jobs would be automated within the next fifty years and be right? We've lost absolutely massive numbers of jobs to automation over the last several centuries, but it just so happens that technology and economic growth have created more work and opportunity.

You seem to be under this really weird impression that 40% of all current jobs being automated would be some kind of unprecedented event in human history. It wouldn't be. Job loss due to automation has been a continuous process throughout modern history.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

You're the only person in this thread talking about the singularity, unless you believe that computer spreadsheets and search engines are technology approaching unimaginable magic.

Yeah, everyone else is talking about magical computers that can do literally anything a person can but also are just boring old spreadsheets that don't do anything. It's a weird sci-fi story we are supposed to fret about!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, everyone else is talking about magical computers that can do literally anything a person can but also are just boring old spreadsheets that don't do anything. It's a weird sci-fi story we are supposed to fret about!

I've been doing data entry for years and I'm definitely doing the work of ten people at all times. The thing you just said is literally my job and I only make 12/hr lmfao

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No, no one is talking about magical computers that can do literally anything a person can do, which is why it's so loving weird to respond to your posts. Automation has never meant replacing human workers with machines on a 1:1 basis and none of the articles or studies being talked about in this thread are coming at the issue from that angle. I have personally helped build and deploy software that was specifically intended to make an entire department redundant so that retiring workers didn't have to be replaced. There was nothing even remotely magical or special about it.

Automation almost always comes in the form of labor saving machines (or software) that eliminate jobs over the long term. I have no idea why you're so focused on this weird sci-fi bullshit instead of automation as it actually exists in the real world right now. Like, the whole point is that we don't need machines that can do anything a person can do, we just need machines that can do some of what a person does in highly specific contexts.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Increasing automation does not equal the singularity. Singularity is just the rapture/kingdom for the irreligious.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Let me try it this way: you have ten workers doing a job. You don't need a machine/software that can perform 100% of one of those workers' tasks, so that you can fire the four most expensive workers and replace them with androids. If you have a machine that can perform a series of tasks that each worker spends 40% of their time on, you can fire the four most expensive workers and have the remaining six do the same amount of work. A general purpose human replacement is not required.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BrandorKP posted:

Increasing automation does not equal the singularity. Singularity is just the rapture/kingdom for the irreligious.

And this thread is just the millennials version of the fear of the "robot apocalypse' but mashed into a weird place where instead of robots rising up to kill everyone as a civil rights metaphor or using nuclear bombs on us in a MAD metaphor now the robots are going to raise unemployment in a housing crash metaphor.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

Automation almost always comes in the form of labor saving machines (or software) that eliminate jobs over the long term. I have no idea why you're so focused on this weird sci-fi bullshit instead of automation as it actually exists in the real world right now. Like, the whole point is that we don't need machines that can do anything a person can do, we just need machines that can do some of what a person does in highly specific contexts.

Because the software exists right now? And we have like 5% unemployment.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Come on man, don't pretend you don't know how unreflective of long term unemployment and discouraged job seekers are.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes, but that 5% is anheavily manipulated number. Pretty much every job created during obama's presidency is low-paid and part time. Millions upon millions of people are stuck in poo poo jobs and are pretty much one accident, like losing their job, away from being homeless.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

9-Volt Assault posted:

Yes, but that 5% is anheavily manipulated number. Pretty much every job created during obama's presidency is low-paid and part time. Millions upon millions of people are stuck in poo poo jobs and are pretty much one accident, like losing their job, away from being homeless.

And what does this have to do with robots?

If the technology already exists to replace 40% of jobs with machines why hasn't it happened? Seems like the country is at full employment right now actually. Best it's been in a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You do realize the labor participation rate is lower right now than at any time since (white) women entered the workforce
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CIVPART

62.8% down from the peak of 67% right before the tech bubble popped the first time. The interesting thing to notice is that since the 2000 peak, the rate has been steady at best, with economic recessions shedding workers from the labor pool who are not replaced. The difference between the new "normal" of the post GFC recovery and bush's second term is about 3% or something like 4.5 million workers.

There are other reasons for the decline like the exit of baby boomers from the job market en masse but that only explains some of the decline. There are millions of people right now, in your environment of "full employment" who can not find a job.

rscott fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 26, 2016

• Locked thread