Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Looks like Phantom Squad on twitter took credit for steam being down.

https://twitter.com/PhantomRaids

What the hell is the point of shutting down a service for video games? Like, go after a target that is doing some harm, maybe.

Wasn't it Lizard Squad that shut down PSN for two days?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

They got doxxed a while ago and it's just a single teenager who doesn't do anything and simply claims they did. Ignore anything they say or do or try to say they did.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Mokinokaro posted:

They're a bunch of attention whores who claim every outage is them though.

Also a bunch of little kids. Someone doxxed them before apparently.

That's pretty funny that they are just some kids potentially seeking attention. Not realizing the wrath they can bring upon themselves for taking credit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

That German word for the embarrassment you feel on somebody else's behalf.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

What the hell is the point of shutting down a service for video games? Like, go after a target that is doing some harm, maybe.

Wasn't it Lizard Squad that shut down PSN for two days?

Phantom claims to be a remnant of defunct Lizard Squad (but as has been proven phantom's just some idiot kid)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

iGestalt posted:

They got doxxed a while ago and it's just a single teenager who doesn't do anything and simply claims they did. Ignore anything they say or do or try to say they did.

Even then it's funny cause it's just some dumb kid all like "I'm gonna keep steam down until I say otherwise!" "Ok I'm bored with steam now, gonna take on XBOX LIVE NEXT HAHAHA" lol

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

That's pretty funny that they are just some kids potentially seeking attention. Not realizing the wrath they can bring upon themselves for taking credit.

It's not quite as bad, but in the same zipcode as, taking credit for loving terrorism in today's climate

I'm going to laugh if all this kid gets for Christmas is a swat raid

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some off-steam deals.

Doom for $20CAD / $10GBP / $15USD on Gamersgate (the worst named site but otherwise pretty reputable)

Fallout 4 for $20CAD / $15USD on GameBillet

I think I'm going to grab Fallout 4. I would get Doom but my brother picked it up off steam and we have family sharing set up.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Panama Red posted:

Before I do a refund, what do people think of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? It was a critical success but flopped when it came out. Today I learned that it was the one and only creation of a video game company founded by famed pitcher Curt Schilling, and when the game failed to break even (apparently it would have taken 3 million copies sold) it became the property of Rhode Island taxpayers because the company took out a loan from the Rhode Island government. Were the positive reviews and buzz around the game created by the company in the hopes of getting the game to break even, or did it just flop because it was an action RPG that came out around the same time as Skyrim?

People have already mentioned the single player mmo aspect but I wanted to add that I actually think the class system in the game is quite well done, at first it doesn't look like there's a lot of different choices (basically the typical three trees, strength man, sneak man, magic man) but importantly is what happens when you put points in those trees. The game unlocks various class cards as you level in the trees in different ways and those class cards give you both flat stats that are obviously conducive to the playstyle you're going with but also unique effects or actives. For example I made a rogue/wizard and as I got higher in that particular class my dodgeroll button became a short blink and I basically became nightcrawler. You get skillpoints at a gradual enough drip that you're probably going to naturally narrow your build to focus on one form of melee, one form of ranged, and utilities that either complement those focuses or shore up other weaknesses and at the end of the day there's a lot of different ways you could build a character if you wanted.

I did eventually get bored of the combat but it was after putting plenty of hours in the game and playing through some dlc.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 23, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's not quite as bad, but in the same zipcode as, taking credit for loving terrorism in today's climate

:lol:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

People have already mentioned the single player mmo aspect but I wanted to add that I actually think the class system in the game is quite well done, at first it doesn't look like there's a lot of different choices (basically the typical three trees, strength man, sneak man, magic man) but importantly is what happens when you put points in those trees. The game unlocks various class cards as you level in the trees in different ways and those class cards give you both flat stats that are obviously conducive to the playstyle you're going with but also unique effects or actives. For example I made a rogue/wizard and as I got higher in that particular class my dodgeroll button became a short blink and I basically became nightcrawler. You get skillpoints at a gradual enough drip that you're probably going to naturally narrow your build to focus on one form of melee, one form of ranged, and utilities that either complement those focuses or shore up other weaknesses and at the end of the day there's a lot of different ways you could build a character if you wanted.

I did eventually get bored of the combat but it was after putting plenty of hours in the game and playing through some dlc.

Yeah this should've been mentioned. The class system is actually pretty drat good. Also, you can respec at any time for what shortly becomes a pittance in cost.

The combat is also pretty fun in general in a ARPG way.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah this should've been mentioned. The class system is actually pretty drat good. Also, you can respec at any time for what shortly becomes a pittance in cost.

I really wanted to like Amular but the location the Camera is fixated gave me extremely bad neck pain. Only gave that ever did this, too. I wonder if anybody else had this problem?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Panama Red posted:

Um, it is only like $7.50 through Bundle Stars, but do I want to be buying a buy-to-play MMO that's facing an imminent shutdown?

I just mean that it's been around a while, it was never hyper popular even at its peak, and content appears to be trickling out, if the emails I get are any indication. Almost everything I get notified about is new sales for new micro transactions, but not much about, you know, new zones and dungeons. Those seem painfully rare. Excepting, of course, the random rehashed holiday limited time content.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

now steamstat.us is getting hammered. lol

whoever is doing this is at least as bored as the phantom squad kid

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Hey guys I shut down the Steam.

Send me all your bitcoins.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

mike12345 posted:

Hey guys I shut down the Steam.

Send me all your bitcoins.

done

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Dear goons, is there any fat to trim here?
Going for the mainstream-indie-hits of 2016 (at least, those I didn't buy yet) and whatever I promised I'd buy years ago but I never did (Ori, LISA, Freedom Planet).

DOOM
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
LISA
LISA the Joyful
Kathy Rain
Gunpoint
Darkest Dungeon
Enter the Gungeon
Rabi-Ribi
Furi
CrossCode
Wuppo
Hyper Light Drifter
Freedom Planet

I'd sneak in Subnautica as well... dunno, it's starting to get a big haul.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

grrarg posted:

I'm in the mood for a turn-based dungeon crawler. Can anyone recommend one that isn't one of the usual suspects like Darkest Dungeon, Legend of Grimrock, Might & Magic X, or the Wizardries? I've played all of those.

You covered some of the good 3D ones there. Guild of Dungeoneering might be of interest to you. Super Dungeon Tactics came out the other day and might be worth a look. Both of these loosely fit your description, but I am struggling to think of other turn-based crawlers.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Char posted:

Going for the mainstream-indie-hits of 2016 (at least, those I didn't buy yet) and whatever I promised I'd buy years ago but I never did (Ori, LISA, Freedom Planet).

DOOM
LISA
LISA the Joyful
Kathy Rain
Gunpoint
Darkest Dungeon
Enter the Gungeon
Rabi-Ribi
Furi
CrossCode
Wuppo
Hyper Light Drifter
Freedom Planet

I'd cut LISA the Joyful for now but otherwise that's a drat solid least.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

It's an approach to classes that I'd like to see more rpgs take. Rather than "oh so you wanna be a wizard, here are some spells to choose from" the game just gives you all the options and when it sees you're focusing on staves and spells goes "you're a wizard 'arry". It really gives you the sense that you're becoming a unique champion.

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat

Blazing Ownager posted:

haha, what?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur was originally going to actually be an MMO, as mentioned R.A. Salvatore did the lore and Todd McFarlane did some artwork for it. That's how Curt Schilling managed to blow through many millions of dollars to make a mediocre single player action RPG. He also blames Lincoln Chafee (who was gov of Rhode Island at the time) calling it a failure for costing him a 35 million dollar deal with another publisher.

It is a single player MMO which I figured out a few hours in and I just started ignoring sidequests. I spent about 18 hours into it which I don't regret at all, but with so much other more recent stuff available at decent prices I'd probably say grab it if it's real cheap and bring it out when you're totally bored of the other games you have.

It's a weirder story than that. Schilling's studio was developing a big huge WoW-killer MMO or whatever, but the game we got was an unrelated, in-development one that they bought up and then retooled into some kind of prequel to the MMO.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Qvark posted:

haha, what?

Russian hacking just potentially influenced the world's largest democracy so, yeah, I'd say authorities aren't taking cyber-attacks very lightly these days

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

ArbitraryC posted:

It's an approach to classes that I'd like to see more rpgs take. Rather than "oh so you wanna be a wizard, here are some spells to choose from" the game just gives you all the options and when it sees you're focusing on staves and spells goes "you're a wizard 'arry". It really gives you the sense that you're becoming a unique champion.

TSW had a really nice strategy for it, as well: The skill tree was segmented by weapon, and further split by passive and active skills. You would eventually have learned every single skill in the game, but could only equip 2 weapons and could only use the active skills of those 2 weapons, although you could use the any passives. If nothing else it helped sidestep the usual "oh poo poo server has too many DPS, I can't find a group" poo poo, since with a bit of time and gear, anyone could swap out nearly instantly to fill any role necessary.

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat

Axel Serenity posted:

Russian hacking just potentially influenced the world's largest democracy so, yeah, I'd say authorities aren't taking cyber-attacks very lightly these days

It's not even in the same league. I'm fairly sure terrorist attacks were people die and a ddos attack on a gaming service have vastly different priorities for the CIA. Could be wrong though. Also, the worlds largest democracy is India.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Qvark posted:

It's not even in the same league. I'm fairly sure terrorist attacks were people die and a ddos attack on a gaming service have vastly different priorities for the CIA. Could be wrong though. Also, the worlds largest democracy is India.

I think the point was not that they are equitable but that they are both, "Assholes taking credit for something negative that they didn't do."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I don't mean it's as bad as it, but right now people are freaking the gently caress out about hackers and way, way, way overreacting

I mean I'm not comparing crashing steam to killing people, but I am saying you could end up with like a ridiculous multi-decade prison sentence for it at this point

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Char posted:

DOOM
LISA
LISA the Joyful
Kathy Rain
Gunpoint
Darkest Dungeon
Enter the Gungeon
Rabi-Ribi
Furi
CrossCode
Wuppo
Hyper Light Drifter
Freedom Planet

Mokinokaro posted:

I'd cut LISA the Joyful for now but otherwise that's a drat solid least.

That's tough, because although The Joyful is a pretty significant departure from the mechanics of The Painful, it seems like it helps explain aspects of the story that The Painful doesn't.

But yeah, if you're trying to (temporarily) trim the fat and pick up some of these games at a later date, you've got more than enough material here to keep you busy until next time. That's a really good list in my opinion, too.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
In response to some recent questions:
- I burned out on Kingdoms of Amalur after 10 hours or so and never went back. I found the plot really unengaging. I was completing all the quests in each area but it eventually became a chore. YMMV of course.
- While I haven't returned to Witcher 2 after playing 3, it was a really enjoyable and well regarded game. I'd certainly give it a try if it's cheap.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

So I'm thinking of getting Dark Souls 3. I loved the first one and Demon's Souls, but I could never finish DS2 because it just didn't grab me and I wasn't too big on the world design. Haven't had a chance to play Bloodborne.

Should I just say gently caress it and jump in with DS3?

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
I've been getting back into FPSes through TF2 but my laptop is pretty old and overheats if I play it for too long. Does Counter-Strike still have an active community of casual players?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Awesome Welles posted:

So I'm thinking of getting Dark Souls 3. I loved the first one and Demon's Souls, but I could never finish DS2 because it just didn't grab me and I wasn't too big on the world design. Haven't had a chance to play Bloodborne.

Yeah you may as well skip 2. A lot of the good parts of 2 carried over to 3 anyways.

3 is pretty much a greatest hits of the series overall, mind.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Awesome Welles posted:

DS3 is the best in the series so go for it!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I bit the bullet and bought Thumper. It's real good, y'all

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok, I'll also ask what should I maybe trim from this list. I added some notes:

Firewatch - I like good walking simulators
The Beginner's Guide - I enjoyed Stanley's Parable
Samorost 3 - I loved other Amanita games
The Witness - Braid was cool
That Dragon, Cancer - is this good as an actual game?
Grim Dawn - I'm a sucker for arpgs
Evil Within - I like a good horror game but I heard mixed things about this one
SOMA - how does it compare to Alien Isolation?
Hitman - I only heard good things about it
Owlboy - I know that the art is gorgeous but how does this actually play?
Far Cry Primal - is this game actually enjoyable or did Ubisoft make it too generic?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Firewatch is a totally linear walking simulator you play once, but it's longer than a movie and more entertaining than most so grab it cheap go for it.
Samorost 3 is a loving pro buy.
SOMA is more of a walking simulator but with a few stealth/oh gently caress don't catch me bits. It's super loving good and creepy and scify as poo poo. It's more of a virtual scify novel with great writing and plot.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jordan7hm posted:

Some off-steam deals.

Doom for $20CAD / $10GBP / $15USD on Gamersgate (the worst named site but otherwise pretty reputable)

Gamersgate is okay as long as you don't want to play the game right away. They do manual reviews of purchases that have taken up to eight hours for me.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I only just saw that the SEGA Megadrive classics have added a ton of games in the past few years I didn't know about.

Panic on Funkotron is a go. :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The witness is great, but not really anything like Braid. Totally different puzzle mechanic, no story and takes about 10 times as long to complete. Would highly recommend anyways though.

• Locked thread