Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I think those look perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arquinsiel posted:

Do the green after waxing maybe? Can you even paint over that stuff again?
Yeah, you can paint over it, but you have to hit it with a coat of matte finish first. That's how the metallic bits on the rifle are done (I do the black lining and metal after the MinWax, because otherwise it makes all the metallic look rusty). I'll try it with this guy and see how it looks.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
For those of you interested in Sharp Practice 2, Rich just released "Dawns & Departures," the campaign supplement for SP2. It sounds pretty rad. Read all about it here: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=6309

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Yup its great, printed and bound my copy

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
It took half a day, but now I've based the rest of the frenchies:

Time to buy more! :)

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

lilljonas posted:

It took half a day, but now I've based the rest of the frenchies:

Time to buy more! :)

:fap:

E: What's the name of the Voltiguer giant in the left group

My buddy and I are meeting up to play some AWI SP2 on the 26th, I hope to get some pictures to the thread.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 22, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

:fap:

E: What's the name of the Voltiguer giant in the left group

My buddy and I are meeting up to play some AWI SP2 on the 26th, I hope to get some pictures to the thread.

The giants are actually Flintloque (fantasy napoleonics) minis! The entire unit of fusiliers with blue plumes as well.
I was visiting my parents just after we got started with the project, and turned put my dad had the two starter boxes (Flintloque and Deadloque) in the attic, and they had stayed there since them mid 90's. Since he won't ever paint them, I brought them home for some brush love, and with the plan to use them to bulk out my force until I get more "proper" minis. After all, the French are high elves, the least obviously Fantasy of the lot.

Well, turned out they are not just chunky, but a good 2-3 mm taller. But they'll do for now, until I paint up a second box of line infantry. :)

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Name him Lennie and the guy next to him George

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Name him Lennie and the guy next to him George

They really should be promoted to a unit of grenadiers as well!

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with Pendraken 10mm? I'm eyeing some for my next project

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Pendraken 10mm? I'm eyeing some for my next project

I only remember hearing praise of them, but I haven't bought from them myself.

Anyways, I was happy enough with my basing scheme from yesterday that I wrote up a tutorial for it, so that I can recreate it later on:

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/basing-the-french-forces

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I have a bunch of them for AWI that I never got around to using. I think I based them, they seemed decent, but that's as far as I got.

I liked the idea of 10mm because it meant I could use Black Powder as written, except where it said "inches" I'd use "centimeters". The math works out perfectly.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Colonial Air Force posted:

I have a bunch of them for AWI that I never got around to using. I think I based them, they seemed decent, but that's as far as I got.

I liked the idea of 10mm because it meant I could use Black Powder as written, except where it said "inches" I'd use "centimeters". The math works out perfectly.

I had this quibble with Black Powder. Like, you aren't using dudes 1:1, right? And terrain is scaled to your dudes, otherwise it would look like giant mecha regiment game. But if the dudes aren't 1:1 yet terrain is 1:1, what kind of off-scale insanity are we playing.

1:1 FOR LIFE (sings praises to that one blog where FFOT3 armies have 1:1 representation on bases)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

JcDent posted:

I had this quibble with Black Powder. Like, you aren't using dudes 1:1, right? And terrain is scaled to your dudes, otherwise it would look like giant mecha regiment game. But if the dudes aren't 1:1 yet terrain is 1:1, what kind of off-scale insanity are we playing.

1:1 FOR LIFE (sings praises to that one blog where FFOT3 armies have 1:1 representation on bases)
There's one guy I've seen on TMP doing 1:1 SYW, with paper cut-out miniatures rather than lead, but... It's still ridiculously impressive.

And you know Tango01? The "[random piece of news or photo from a press release, blog, or other thread], Amicalement, Armand" guy? He is apparently too shy to post photos of his month-long 1:1 1:72 battles with 50k figures.

Really though, get the frontage about right in relation to movement, firing, and other such scales, and adjust the rest to toy soldier taste. Some people are fine with single ranks of figures, others have to have two ranks even though it just makes lines even more disproportionately deep.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

JcDent posted:

I always use 1:1, it was a big reason I wanted to go 10mm. That meant my usual 8x4 table was gigantic.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There's one guy I've seen on TMP doing 1:1 SYW, with paper cut-out miniatures rather than lead, but... It's still ridiculously impressive.

And you know Tango01? The "[random piece of news or photo from a press release, blog, or other thread], Amicalement, Armand" guy? He is apparently too shy to post photos of his month-long 1:1 1:72 battles with 50k figures.

Really though, get the frontage about right in relation to movement, firing, and other such scales, and adjust the rest to toy soldier taste. Some people are fine with single ranks of figures, others have to have two ranks even though it just makes lines even more disproportionately deep.

How the hell does Tango01 have the time to do anything else, given how much he spam posts on TMP? (he does post good finds now and then)

He's like the the histori-grog version of Dad gay, so what.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

lilljonas posted:

How the hell does Tango01 have the time to do anything else, given how much he spam posts on TMP? (he does post good finds now and then)

He's like the the histori-grog version of Dad gay, so what.
Glad you like them my friend!. (smile)

Amicalement
Armand

I do appreciate some of the armandposting, but I do kind of wish he'd post more of his own cool stuff. I mean, I just stumbled across that comment of his earlier today, I had no idea he did anything but post like an RSS grogbot

quote:

Actually… I have wargamed 22 of them (one per year)… and I still enjoyed them like the first day!…

of course the first ones were not about that amount….I have been adding thousands of figures every year to the total of more than 50,000 of them….
This is the Armand I want to see more of.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I visit like 5 threads on the reg, so I have no clue what you people are talking about.

I tried getting 1:1 dudes for my Flames of War 6mm russians, but God-drat if actually real world troop organization doesn't make that difficult. 5 dudes on one base, and a 2 man RPG team on the other?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
FoW's rules result in some oddness with team sizes. I just based my guys 3 per square and put two squares in each vehicle. The team with the RPG and the team with the LSW are pretty distinct unless the RPD's barrel breaks that way.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Haha that guy. Always posting whatever random thing he comes across without any thought or context

c0cky30
Sep 10, 2016
The Latest Installment from NAM.

Local Force VC Guerillas for Chain of Command.

http://carportgaming.blogspot.com.au/2016/12/farmers-by-day-soldiers-by-night.html

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So, Knutt the Nutt, loot hungry and frothing mad viking chief sets out to attack the rich lands of the Roman Empire (called Byzantium by some). But a sneaky Byzantine lord ambushes him in the Flatovye Forestam in the labds of Bulgar.

The forests are teeming with half naked horses - and archers that immediatrly start shooting up our intrepid warband.

As arrows rain down from all the sides and fell riders crossed the road.

Something in Knutt's head worked the right way for once and he turned to flee.

The hearthguard, left alone to face the enemy elite, wondered why they followed a known madman.

His hearthguard fell holding back the rides while the berserkers and regular warriors struck by arrows where they stood.

Knutt just kept on running.

However, the riders caught up with the viking loon; even though no arrow could touch him, the Byzantine lord's sword eventually struck true. Knutt went down cursing, managing to drag down two of the lord's bodyguard with him.

So yeah, campaign turn... three, I guess. Had the luck of being ambushed by a lord with dice halving rule. Imagine have a quarter of activations in the first turn and a half the second. It didn't matter by the time the third one rolled around, because most of my troops were dead at that point.

Eventually, if not for the snake eyes, I could have probably killed the byzantine lord by charging in with Knutt and the last 8 warrior band.

Byzantines have a solid combined arms approach and isn't bullshit like the Irish.

gently caress the Irish.

Knutt the Nutt is now down 2 attacks because of the savage mauling he received in all three games. To be fair, he did kill Norman lord dead in the 2nd game.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'd argue that Byzantines are actually better than the Irish since they can never truly get hosed by resource shortages.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oh, man. I got Sharp Practice 2 for Christmas/Hannukah (we're a mixed-faith household and celebrate both, which the kids think is proper loving awesome). I'm already planning out my next 15mm ACW purchases. I'm so screwed. :cripes:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The wife got me a 6mm Macidonian Sucessor army.

So many little pikemen to paint, its awesome.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

The wife got me a 6mm Macidonian Sucessor army.

So many little pikemen to paint, its awesome.

Nice!

I got a scarf. It was nice, but I take it as a sign that I need to buy my Christmas historical barbie dolls myself.

E: crossposting from the scale modeling thread. DAK are definitely go for 2017!

I Went back and covered up some of the chipping as best I could. Then I took out the next new thing to try and possibly horribly fail at: mig ammo's grime streak!

It's basically an enamel wash. You paint a dot or draw a line, let it dry a bit, and then gently brush over it with thinner, so that it slowly fades out, and you can stop when you are happy with the results. It's basically the opposite of chipping, as the worst result possible is that you remove them completely, and have to do it all over!

Anyway. It's really fun to play around with. I'm quite far from where I get perfect results out of it, but it's super fun so I don't care. And hey, I get a striped tiger! :P

I'll probably go back with some thinner and tidy it up a bit when it's completely dried. Then I do a pin wash, some detail highlight, and then I think I'll be done for this kit. I've learned a ton already, and look forward to use that knowledge on the next one.

close up on grime streak:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 26, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Warlord Games has 50% off on sprues right now.

Let's just say that my French force just got a cavalry wing. :P

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

lilljonas posted:

Warlord Games has 50% off on sprues right now.

Let's just say that my French force just got a cavalry wing. :P

Also a great time to start 28mm WWII skirmish.

Is any of that stuff suitable for AWI/French/Indian wars? I'm thinking about writing a skirmish game for the period.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

Is any of that stuff suitable for AWI/French/Indian wars? I'm thinking about writing a skirmish game for the period.

Not really, it's mostly WW2, Napoleonics and 30YW, so either too early or too late.

I picked up a Fallschirmjäger platoon as well, because it was so cheap and they'll be suitable for Sicily and Italy. You basically get a whole platoon, plus some extras so switch around weapon options with, for £18 with free worldwide shipping. So yeah, a very cheap starting point for BA or CoC.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Thundercloud posted:

Warlord do AWI and woodland Indians.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Warlord do AWI and woodland Indians.

True, but I could not find them in the aforementioned sprue sale. Basically nothing previously sold by WGF, like the Japanese stuff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Except for the Ashigaru, Samurai or Orcs. I think those are on sale.

Probably gonna get me a sprue of British or something. My belated (waylanded) Christmas gift is a Sherman and a Cromwell and I dunno if I'll have enuff manz to accompany them.

Resisting the urge to get a sprue of romans to model them with german guns or something.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Except for the Ashigaru, Samurai or Orcs. I think those are on sale.

Probably gonna get me a sprue of British or something. My belated (waylanded) Christmas gift is a Sherman and a Cromwell and I dunno if I'll have enuff manz to accompany them.

Resisting the urge to get a sprue of romans to model them with german guns or something.

Nopes, checked the japanese stuff, not on sale. Otherwise I'd boosted up my ashigaru units a bit.

c0cky30
Sep 10, 2016
Chain of Command NAM

Two After Action reports using VC Local Force Guerillas.

http://carportgaming.blogspot.com.au/2016/12/going-up-country.html

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

lilljonas posted:

True, but I could not find them in the aforementioned sprue sale. Basically nothing previously sold by WGF, like the Japanese stuff.

Oh drat.

Just picked up 6 sprus of German grenadiers so I've got opfor for my US airborne

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is DBA still a good recommendation for a small/fast/simple/"cheap"ish Historical game?

I've been thinking about trying a small historical game that gives me an excuse to paint tiny Samurai and can be played in a relatively small area (the 2'x2' mention in the OP caught my attention). That it lets disparate groups throughout history play against each other also amuses me. It looks like this thread has been going for a while so I figured I'd see if that was still up to date.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
DBA very likely suits your purposes. SAGA is also a good choice for small dark/medieval ages stuff but I don't think they explicitly have samurai rules. Hail Caesar/Pike and Shotte scale up a little bigger than what you're looking for but could offer a nice path to getting bigger when you inevitably buy too many mans.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I haven't tried version 3 of DBA, but version 2.2 was a pretty chill and simple (to play, once you get around a few things) boardgamey wargame when it tried it out some 5 years ago or so. It's fast, and it almost feels like chess or checkers, where you roll a die to see how many pieces you can move every turn. If you're looking for something to play on a small board with not a million miniatures, it's worth checking out.

Another option, if you want to play specifically Samurai stuff, is to check out Samurai Battles:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/122913/samurai-battles

It's a boardgame with miniatures, so you have the advantage of not needing to model a gaming board, you can play it on a normal kitchen table, and you get minis to paint as well. It's based on the Command & Colours boardgame system that's pretty well known.

Other than that, Warlord Games are teasing about a Samurai game release 2017, but no word on what kind of game it will be.

Oh, and if you have questions about samurai miniatures in general I can help you, as I have a few

hundred.

:P

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm painting up some British tanks for Bolt Action, and I'm kinda lost. As per common instructions on the Internet, I used a coat of Vallejo's 924 (Russian Uniform) as the base on top of a black undercoat. I have no idea how to wash this thing.

Should I just do a brown wash or something, or try to figure out a good green shade to use?

E: Seeing recommendations for Agrax Earthshade on the Internet.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Is DBA still a good recommendation for a small/fast/simple/"cheap"ish Historical game?

I've been thinking about trying a small historical game that gives me an excuse to paint tiny Samurai and can be played in a relatively small area (the 2'x2' mention in the OP caught my attention). That it lets disparate groups throughout history play against each other also amuses me. It looks like this thread has been going for a while so I figured I'd see if that was still up to date.

DBA is really good because it's really really quick and part of that is abstraction. It's pretty timeless as a ruleset. You will get screwed by dice sometimes but that's not a huge deal in a 30 minute game.

Like any game, some armies are better than others but the randomness will wash a lot of stuff out unless you're obsessed with running the All-Auxiliary super antiquity armies.