Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
All the money given to Ukraine should've had the price tag of meaningful reforms attached to it. That country needs a new revolution, though with Russia on their doorstep there is no way things would not get worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The problem is the west did the opposite of what russian propaganda said. They didn't meddle, the barely got involved at all. Both out of disinterest and a genuine attempt to placate russia. Russia of course plays by no rules and are great at propaganda. Russia was full out invading Ukraine with its army while shouting that the west launched a coup and installed a FASCIST JUNTA and nato needs to stop attacking and antagonizing poor victim Russia. Putin knew the west doesn't give a poo poo about Ukraine, and if they actually did much to help it would play into his propaganda about western encirclement.

And the west actually did try to put a price tag on money. My friend is a laywer in Ukraine doing economic law poo poo, and he was really optimistic about this. A huge loan would be given, but with strings attached. Problem was most of the strings were less "be less corrupt and tackle poverty" and more "be more neo-liberal" and even then Ukraine would ignore or break a lot of these agreements.

Also there's a particular breed of libertarian that thrives in eastern europe, it can only germinate in post-soviet failures. For instance my lawyer friend really believed that if they simply reduce government powers and ability to meddle in the economy and had a true free market, corruption would vanish. Corruption and monopolies are products of statism you see, once there's true economic freedom all other freedoms will follow. These folk have generally grown up at the tail end of the soviet union and then under horrible corrupt croney-capitalist or kleptocrats. They idolize the US and western europe and see the free market as the only thing they lack. A couple friends in Ukraine, a bunch from Poland, former Yugoslavia, all the exact same attitude. Oh they also loving love the idea of a flat tax, that's always a common thing as well.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 21, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jesus, so loving transparent, Republicans. Even if it still in the negatives, they seem to be really happy about the hacks.

BTW, I wanted to post this yesterday, but the events in Ankara and Berlin took precedence. I don't like the source but it's the only place I could find things compiled, but apparently the CalExit movement is being bankrolled by the Kremlin. They've opened a "people's embassy" but have been receiving funding and support from the Anti-Globalization Movement of Russia

Fake Edit: There's a link to a Moscow Times article that goes into further detail https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/californias-separatist-movement-gets-an-embassy-in-moscow-56568

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 21, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd expect the opposite. Democrats enraged at russia/putin and his rating going way down, while republicans turning a blind eye to his influence and ignoring the whole thing. Instead it seems democrats are slightly more down on putin while republicans swoon over the shirtless slayer of liberalism.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
What's up Poland? I hear PiS caved in and decided not to ban non-govt media from the Sejm (yet) and it only took nearly a week of protesting on the streets!

3peat
May 6, 2010

Looks like Romania will get its first woman prime minister, who will also be our first muslim/tatar prime minister

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

This is too precious.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So it's still at -10? Isn't that still pretty bad? Or do I not understand the scale?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

So it's still at -10? Isn't that still pretty bad? Or do I not understand the scale?
-10 there basically means that out of 20 Republicans 9 view Putin favourably. Which is fairly remarkable by itself, what is there to say about dramatic shift in the Republican consensus over less than half a year.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

-10 there basically means that out of 20 Republicans 9 view Putin favourably. Which is fairly remarkable by itself, what is there to say about dramatic shift in the Republican consensus over less than half a year.

Cognitive dissonance because they have to put the checkmark near the R guy and this time he's a russian symphatizing maniac

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

This is too precious.

Well he did do them a solid.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We've just published a new report on Bellingcat, Putin’s Undeclared War: Summer 2014 – Russian Artillery Strikes against Ukraine, where we've examined a lot of satellite imagery for crater sites in Ukraine and artillery launch locations in Russia, and discovered that Russia was shelling Ukraine very frequently in 2014. Here's the brief summary from the report:

quote:

- Artillery units of the Russian Armed Forces fired at least on 149 separate occasions attacks against Ukraine in the summer of 2014. Another 130 locations were judged likely to have been used as artillery position.
- 408 artillery target sites inside Ukraine within range of Russian artillery systems have a trajectory crossing the Ukrainian-Russian border, 127 of them are within 3 km of the Russian border.
- In total, as evidenced by the number of impact craters, thousands of artillery projectiles were fired by the Russian military on targets inside Ukraine in the summer of 2014.
- Due to the current lack of publicly-available satellite imagery evidence and the rigid classification criteria used here, these figures represent lower bound estimates of the true numbers of artillery attacks, i.e. there were likely considerably more than 149 attacks as already indicated by the 130 further likely artillery positions. Furthermore, it can be stated:
- Artillery attacks of the Russian Armed Forces from Russian territory began from early July 2014 and increased in frequency and scale into August and September 2014.
- Cross-border artillery attacks can be found in the entire border area of the conflict zone in the Donets’k and Luhans’k regions.
- Due to the frequency, spatial distribution, and scale of the artillery attacks considered in this report, it is impossible to consider these attacks merely as accidents or as the actions of rogue units. These attacks can only therefore be considered as acts of war of the Russian Federation against Ukraine.

AP did a piece on it where they spoke to a couple of experts about our work:

quote:

Bellingcat's analysis struck independent experts as credible.

Sean O'Connor, the principal imagery analyst with IHS Jane's, said in an email that the work looked "solid."

Jonathan Drake, the senior imagery analyst at the American Association for the Advancement of Science, said he had used similar techniques to identify artillery strikes carried out by Sri Lankan government forces in 2009. He called Bellingcat's work impressive and said the over-and-over-again overlap between the geometry of the craters in Ukraine and the orientation of the firing positions in Russia left little doubt about the group's conclusions.

"What you've got there are two independent observations that are consistent with one another and that are consistent over a pretty broad swathe of territory," Drake said in a telephone interview.

Just in time for Putin's yearly mega-press conference on Friday.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

dex_sda posted:

Cognitive dissonance because they have to put the checkmark near the R guy and this time he's a russian symphatizing maniac

R stands for Russia, and their color is the red of the Soviet empire.

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

dex_sda posted:

Foreign policy of both parties over the past couple decades has been pretty similar when it comes to their stance towards foreign powers. The Obama to Trump presidency is different in the fact that Trump is willing to be more conciliatory towards Russia but confrontational towards China. There is also a tendency to view a foreign power as friend or enemy(which can change at any time; this rule can be applied to any nation) and not attempting to understand the underlying politics of a region.

You also have a future secretary of state(US top diplomatic position) who will benefit greatly from closer ties to Russia.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

owDAWG posted:

Foreign policy of both parties over the past couple decades has been pretty similar when it comes to their stance towards foreign powers. The Obama to Trump presidency is different in the fact that Trump is willing to be more conciliatory towards Russia but confrontational towards China. There is also a tendency to view a foreign power as friend or enemy(which can change at any time; this rule can be applied to any nation) and not attempting to understand the underlying politics of a region.

You also have a future secretary of state(US top diplomatic position) who will benefit greatly from closer ties to Russia.

Oh sure. I'm just saying it's funny how quickly an average republican's opinion flip-flopped on Russia, irrespective of any reason relevant to them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

dex_sda posted:

Oh sure. I'm just saying it's funny how quickly an average republican's opinion flip-flopped on Russia, irrespective of any reason relevant to them.

On Russia, or Putin?

I go to Russia (and Ukraine) regularly and love my family and the people in that part of the world. Putin and his buddies, on the other hand can drink a bunch of vodka and go swim in the Ivankovo.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

On Russia, or Putin?
Yeah, most of current Russia-lovers are actually just Putin-lovers. The graph says so too, it didn't measure their opinion on Russia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The opinion will reverse in a couple of months. It's a pretty loaded poll when at the moment when Putin is just an another term for the DNC hacks and nothing else for most people.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

On Russia, or Putin?

I go to Russia (and Ukraine) regularly and love my family and the people in that part of the world. Putin and his buddies, on the other hand can drink a bunch of vodka and go swim in the Ivankovo.

I did not intend to disparage Russia as a country and its inhabitants, apologies. It's a lovely place in many ways.

In the context of global politics, however, it is nigh synonymous with Putin and the petro-oligarchs. I consider these to be terrible for society nearly everywhere in the world. The poll asked about Putin specifically, for what it is worth.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This story is remarkable for all sorts of reasons

quote:

Android Malware Targeting Ukraine 'Ties Russian GRU To Election Hacks'

The most convincing evidence yet tying Russia's GRU intelligence agency to the hack of the Democratic National Committee has been found in a bizarre tale involving an Android app developed by a Ukrainian military officer, security firm CrowdStrike claimed today.

The company, which helped the DNC with the investigation of its notorious breach earlier this year, said it had uncovered Android malware used by the so-called Fancy Bear crew in June 2016. Fancy Bear is widely believed to be the group behind the DNC hit as well as the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) hack.

That spyware was hiding inside an app developed by a Ukrainian artillery officer called Yaroslav Sherstuk, which was designed to help expedite the processing of targeting data for the Soviet-era D-30 Howitzers he was using, CrowdStrike said.

As it wasn't an official government project, Sherstuk shared the app across forums frequented by fellow army personnel, explained CrowdStrike CTO and co-founder Dmitri Alperovitch. As many as 9,000 were said to have downloaded the app, as it reduced targeting time to 15 seconds. The video below shows Sherstuk talking about the apparent success of the app, noting that he had the authorization codes required to make the tool work. (Thanks to Kromtech Security for translating the Ukrainian).

Fancy Bear inserted its malware into the apps, which would reveal the location of the host Android phone and allowed Fancy Bear to snoop on infected devices, he said. This may have had a devastating impact on Ukraine's defense, Alperovitch added, pointing to open source research that indicated in two years of conflict over 80 per cent of D-30 howitzers had been destroyed. "This was pretty devastatingly effective," said Alperovitch.

That Fancy Bear was involved in such a campaign further proved the group was Russian and was facilitating GRU operations. Previous reports had linked the GRU to the DNC hack, though hard evidence was thin on the ground. But Alperovitch believes this is one of the clearest indicators yet that the hacks on the U.S. election were ordered by the GRU. "It's pretty high confidence that Fancy Bear had to be in touch with the Russian military," he added. "This is exactly what the mission is of the GRU."

CrowdStrike has sent the information to its customers, both in government and across private industry.

Patrick Wardle, ex-NSA staffer and head of research at security firm Synack, told me the malware beaconed back to the U.S. -- more an indicator of irony than anything else. The Android spyware was not particularly sophisticated, much like the hack of the DNC, he added. Both were effective, however. "There are a lot strings in the clear, makes it super easy to analyze," Wardle said. "If it's on your phone, you are done, it grabs pretty much everything. Kind of perfect for Russian hackers to infect the opposing forces with."

Today saw the U.S. impose more sanctions of Russian individuals over the annexation of Crimea, whilst Obama has promised retaliation for the hacks. With evidence increasingly pointing to Russia's culpability, Obama is evidently emboldened to come down hard on Putin before president-elect Donald Trump moves into the White House.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 22, 2016

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I guess counterbattery becomes rather easy when you get the GPS coordinates of the enemy artillery personnel.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Snake was right; war HAS changed.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

whoa cyber warfare

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Putin's yearly mega press conference is starting, you can play along at home
https://twitter.com/DarthPutinKGB/status/812198682149945344

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I'm so glad I had to get the oil changed in the car this morning and missed his press conference. Look forward to reading the highlights.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/1NN6sZRiB-8

I assume that if this was in the US the driver would probably have been shot multiple times by both the cops, security guards and nearby civilians.

Personally I always had the predjudice that russian police were almost as gun happy as US police, partly because I know police misconduct is kind of feared/expected in Russia and partly because I have seen so many instances of eastern european riot police brutally beating football hooligans/rioters/protesters. But how common is it for russian police to shoot suspects in comparison to US levels or western european levels, is there any statistics on this that is reliable?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Severe beatings, stitching them up, being utterly corrupt bribe machines, yes. Shooting at everything that moves out of a crippling fear for their safety due to horrible training and institutional culture, no.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zudgemud posted:

I assume that if this was in the US the driver would probably have been shot multiple times by both the cops, security guards and nearby civilians.

Personally I always had the predjudice that russian police were almost as gun happy as US police, partly because I know police misconduct is kind of feared/expected in Russia and partly because I have seen so many instances of eastern european riot police brutally beating football hooligans/rioters/protesters. But how common is it for russian police to shoot suspects in comparison to US levels or western european levels, is there any statistics on this that is reliable?

I think the US beats just about every country that's not a third-world shithole. Like there are countries in Latin America where carjacking is considered a "violent crime" in terms of force and the police can legally pop you in the head to stop you from driving off, even if you're not hurting anyone.

The US is currently at 1123 deaths during arrests. This includes not only shootings, but also vehicular-related deaths and people who mysteriously drop dead or suffer from "excited delirium" during an arrest.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zudgemud posted:

US police shoots at least an order of magnitude more than ex-USSR and EEA combined. In the States you can become a policeman or deputy or something with just a few months of training, here it usually is at least 2 year long degree programme, even if your life long goal has been just to issue tickets for incorrect parking.

Russian police is fairly corrupt, and patrolmen in larger cities will bolster assault rifles and whatnot on some occasions, but the extent of violence will seldom exceed rough handling. They neither fear everyone under the Sun, nor are free of liability for exercising lethal force for any reason other than to stop a lethal force.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Zudgemud posted:

This has been around for a while, but it comes to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0goGIgwWO4

It's not hyperbole to say that, if this happened in the US, this lady would have been tazed and pummeled for "resisting" after 10 seconds or so.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That is what should be expected from any professional police force. It is horrifying to think that US police behaving like that would come as a genuine surprise nowadays.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Google found me this: http://europe.newsweek.com/russia-police-custody-torture-abuse-441489?rm=eu
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/13/200-people-died-in-russian-police-custody-in-2015-says-website

I'm pretty sure that's just the tip of the iceberg. At least USA has FBI that could handle the cases, I don't know what they do in Russia.

In Estonia one woman caught in a DUI accident killed herself in the holding cell using her sweater while still under the influence of alcohol and anti-depressants, in spring 2015. The police was found to lack training (they figured she had calmed down), was too busy to check on her (not surprising, considering the funding gets cut regularly so they have to find new ways to optimize - mostly by downsizing). In preceding 7 years (going back from september 2015) 40 people had died in custody - 7 due to suicides and the rest because of health issues. So the chancellor of justice had given new guidelines to the police just few months prior to this case to improve supervision of detainees and to make sure everyone understood what their job description entailed.

The police officers were found guilty in that particular case, but didn't get punished because "the new regulations had just been set in force".

But if you ask me if I expect bad things to happen to me if under arrest, I say no.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jonnypeh posted:

Google found me this: http://europe.newsweek.com/russia-police-custody-torture-abuse-441489?rm=eu
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/13/200-people-died-in-russian-police-custody-in-2015-says-website

I'm pretty sure that's just the tip of the iceberg. At least USA has FBI that could handle the cases, I don't know what they do in Russia.
Thing is, that even with 200 dead in preliminary detention thrown into the yearly totals, Russian police will fail to reach half of what Americans kill during the detention, probably even just a third if we discard the casualties from MVD special forces operations in Caucasus. It is terrible, but not even close if you compare the populations of both countries. Heck, more people per capita, on average, have died in Estonian custody during past 7 years. Not necessarily saying that for the same causes, but nonetheless. Point is, while I would expect all sorts of negligence and corruption while being detained by Russian police, death or lasting injury would be some of the last thing that I would consider.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This loving year!

Woman who survived 33,000ft fall, dies

quote:

"I am like a cat, I have had nine lives," she told the New York Times. "But if nationalist forces in this country prevail, my heart will burst."

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 24, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trogdos! posted:

What's up Poland? I hear PiS caved in and decided not to ban non-govt media from the Sejm (yet) and it only took nearly a week of protesting on the streets!

:toot:

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Thing is, that even with 200 dead in preliminary detention thrown into the yearly totals, Russian police will fail to reach half of what Americans kill during the detention, probably even just a third if we discard the casualties from MVD special forces operations in Caucasus. It is terrible, but not even close if you compare the populations of both countries. Heck, more people per capita, on average, have died in Estonian custody during past 7 years. Not necessarily saying that for the same causes, but nonetheless. Point is, while I would expect all sorts of negligence and corruption while being detained by Russian police, death or lasting injury would be some of the last thing that I would consider.

Maybe it has something to do with less guns in the hands of the population, so police are less jumpy. And no "2nd amendment rights" fanatics go around openly carrying anything from a handgun to a rifle, because the russian state has the potential to gently caress them up real bad. Other than such a thing being outlawed anyway.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yea, I believe that responsible gun control is a major factor. Longer and more serious training also helps, so does lack of "us versus them" mentality in nigh everything.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jonnypeh posted:

Maybe it has something to do with less guns in the hands of the population, so police are less jumpy. And no "2nd amendment rights" fanatics go around openly carrying anything from a handgun to a rifle, because the russian state has the potential to gently caress them up real bad. Other than such a thing being outlawed anyway.

The thing is, US cops end up shooting a good order of magnitude more people than cops get shot. The issue is they're trained that literally anyone can pull a gun and shoot them at any time for no reason and their safety is paramount, so they react to almost anything with extreme violence.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Precisely. It's a direct result of a deeply unhealthy institutional culture that permeates US law enforcement, and goes hand in hand with the lack of national level standards for oversight and training that the US jurisdictional system uses.

It also, in no small part, is down to the preferential hiring of people with prior military training (which is fundamentally incompatible with responsible civilian 'frontline' policing) and, in all likelihood, an influx of cases of undiagnosed PTSD in the months and years after a period of US military-involved conflict draws to a close.

Also that whole thing of US police officers having literal attacks of 'roid rage.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jonnypeh posted:

This sort of argument falls on its face when you remember that the demographics most likely to own a gun (richer, whiter) are least likely to get iced by the cops in the US and vice versa.