Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Every single character speaks with the same literary voice and it's driving me NUTS.

Would you prefer they said "Ah" instead of "I"? Because that's what Klace's next evolution is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Every single character speaks with the same literary voice and it's driving me NUTS.

Indeed.

Data Graham posted:

Would you prefer they said "Ah" instead of "I"? Because that's what Klace's next evolution is.

I would prefer they didn't say anything, it would make the game end faster.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

inscrutable horse posted:

This game isn't worth that kind of effort; it deserves a disappointed sigh and a dejected shrug.

Amen, brother. Was there anything worth learning from the game itself? I've seen how far the rabbit hole went, and it's a doozy.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I hope you guys are ready~

https://twitter.com/Klace/status/812063414658985985

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Oh God, yes!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

This entire visual novel has just been a monologue about what Klace Husky things quantum physics is.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

So is this the adult visual novel with hush-hush development or is this the one that the developer was having a YCH auction for not too long ago? IIRC, the guy who won that auction had a sheep character as their 'sona. I can already see the colors of the rainbow within the blurred screenshots.

You say the music will blow me away? Prove it. Don't be a pussy.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Let's not go nuts here. It's not as if the sole voice in this game sounds like any real person in any capacity.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How did he get anyone else to work with him again? Blackmail?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Really Pants posted:

I'm gonna guess money.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Really Pants posted:

Unfortunately, user reviews currently rank this game as "very positive" on steam, and there's enough of them that a good chunk are probably genuine. So there's people out there eager to help make more of this.

Which is great for us because Blarghalt can get crackin' on LPs of that once they're done with this game.

Less great is that I checked fanfiction.net for this game and there doesn't seem to be anything, which is a shame because I'm sure it would have been amazing.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Really Pants posted:

The power of money, what else?

This particular game seems to have switched from using Pawzi (the two have basically disowned each other) to another artist. FA name of FeyVeras. If you want to get an idea of how his style looks with Klace as the commissioner, here's an example, and here's another. Obligatory disclaimer that the actual style may be different in the actual game, but this seems about right.

Early impressions don't really sell me on this artist to be honest.

Curus Keel fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 23, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Of course it would be furry overwatch crossover art.

Why wouldn't it.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Night10194 posted:

Of course it would be furry overwatch crossover art.

Why wouldn't it.

Wasn't the first time Klace pretended to cosplay as an Overwatch character. I would show that, but I've made a vow to never touch this guy's Facebook page, even if it's with a mile-long pole.

Big problem with this art is that the excessive detail doesn't lend itself to anything more than one or two expressions at a time without skyrocketing the price. And yet, there are glaring issues with the details that are put in. Like, what the hell is with that pose? He looks all twisted up, right arm seems a bit misplaced, wings look like they have bad attachment.. yeah.. honestly, I don't know where to begin with that. I don't think that artist was a good pick.

Honestly, for a visual novel, I'd go for a more simplfiied style that lends itself well to hammering out multiple expressions and poses, creating art that seems more relatable and connected. To show this in an apples-to-apples kind of way, here's what an actual favorite artist of mine does with the same concept.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Well, whatever the new game is like, it can't be blamed on lack of experience.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

willimm posted:

This particular game seems to have switched from using Pawzi (the two have basically disowned each other) to another artist. FA name of FeyVeras. If you want to get an idea of how his style looks with Klace as the commissioner, here's an example, and here's another. Obligatory disclaimer that the actual style may be different in the actual game, but this seems about right.

Ah yes, the ever popular "Bend Over Backwards to Avoid Having to Draw Hands" technique.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

willimm posted:

I am the concept of going out in public in only a fishnet and keyhole briefs.

I AM THE CROTCH BULGE

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I am the concept of going out in public in only a fishnet and keyhole briefs.

I AM THE CROTCH BULGE

Still more decent than this games Klace, who much like Singe looks to be naked from the waist down.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Data Graham posted:

Ah yes, the ever popular "Bend Over Backwards to Avoid Having to Draw Hands" technique.

I mean a shitton of Furry stuff is to avoid having to draw human faces, already.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Night10194 posted:

I mean a shitton of Furry stuff is to avoid having to draw human faces, already.

If TV Tropes has a fairly detailed page on it, then the tendency's certainly there. Furry and scaly creatures don't really hit upon the uncanny valley.

Well, they don't hit upon the uncanny valley as often.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

willimm posted:

Well, they don't hit upon the uncanny valley as often.

That's not uncanny valley, that's skeevy mountain.

TheSoulian
Dec 5, 2016

What was this a link to? I think it's been deleted.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It was him saying he's going to be announcing his next visual novel soon.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
It's his tendency to remove posts once they get unwanted attention, but yeah, that was supposed to be a teaser for this next visual novel.

And oh lord does he love to repeat himself though retweeting himself so many times over. It's positively ridiculous.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
In other news, since I had Google wallet credit from so many surveys, I had enough money to buy the Major\Minor mobile port without spending a cent from my bank account. I was curious about what the differences were - in more detail. May post more later.

If nothing else, you might get my own commentary.

Curus Keel fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 24, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

willimm posted:

Well if anyone remembers the whole gas attack at a furry convention 2 years ago. (Probably not cause nobody cares because furries) Klace was the one that found the person who did the chlorine attack. So that really bumped him up in popularity. AFAIK after that event is what made Major/Minor got funded pretty quickly. As far as I've heard. So it was really a huge boon...

Then most furries like Major/Minor because it's a very "positive" furry game though it's nothing special and there's better furry games out there.

Dust: An Elysian Tail was made by a furry from what I've been told. I'm sure there's many others... Shines seems to be pretty furry.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Wait, i've never heard this. Someone tried to gas a furry convention? Why?

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

Ikasuhito posted:

Long story. Klace only says he found the culprit, but I think he was just pointing fingers at random people. Think his popularity rise was more due to relentlessly promoting his game and getting the hype trains rolling in his favor.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This possibly throws an interesting new twist on some plot points that are upcoming :ssh:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ikasuhito posted:

They got an advance reading copy of majorbackslashminor?

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
Major\Minor: The Mobile App

I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey.

It started with a push notification, from an application I haven't touched in a long time. That app was Furry Animo, a social media application for the community that I quickly lost interest in after seeing how its flashiness and hyperactivity seemed to pander to overexcited teens and pre-teens in the community.

But I kept it installed. Early one morning, I checked my phone in my haze, and saw from that app, a notification about Major\Minor. At the time, I just fell right back asleep, went right into a dream with little realization.

I woke up to find that notification again. It was saying that Major\Minor was on Google Play. I investigated, the creator of the game has made a post and got it featured, with people clamoring over and asking about it. But checking the actual store entry, I saw a $5 game that... well, admitted some rather weird commissions.

Can't name your character. No audio at all. Save files apparently don't show the current location. Klace says it was to "minimize filesize", but really, that could have been done just by removing all the stock and unused RPG Maker assets within the game. And what size gain could you get from removing the ability to name a character? I posted my criticism of these issues, but that was later removed from the actual post - because of course it was.

I was in two minds about actually doing so, until today, when I realized that I had more than enough store credit to purchase the app, all because of Google's own survey rewards application.

Wasting a tech company's money on this game was better than just wasting a single cent on this game. Besides, there's discovery here.

The game boots up basically the same, just with an added subtitle and the removal of Fox Amoore's credit. Along with it, no audio at all.

I did notice that, after blowing up the screenshot, there's apparently a faint ghost of Reiyo, our Furry Outsider, on the right side of the screen. Not sure why he's there, only to be all mysterious and crap.

But, well.. not a whole lot of effort went into making the game more appropriate for mobile. The menu system, well, it requires you to tap on the arrow buttons to the side to scroll through the options. As opposed to the default of swiping a finger, or just presenting the New Game and Load Game buttons.

The options screen is even more useless here, as alongside the useless "command remember" option, all of the volume options are useless thanks to the removal of any and all audio. The Shut Down button on the menu does shut down the game, but you can also do that through the Android system interface itself.

Not shown: If you go away from the Major\Minor app and then go back to it, you'll come back to a bunch of screen flicker or an otherwise garbled screen. Convenient if you want to start up a rave party, not so if you just want to play the game. It'll reset itself if you go out and go back into the app.

Anyway, the game wastes no time in going over the basics for the device. Even then, I'd have to point out about fixed save points - when you're on the go and playing this game, wouldn't you want to have a quick exit point for when your attention's needed? The handheld-designed Phoenix Wright visual novels handled this brilliantly with an anytime yet one-slot save system, so what gives? Beyond laziness.

The actual game starts pretty much as normal. Repetition about not being able to survive in space included, and the wordcount padded out like a girl after her first period.

Despite the lack of a name entry system (seriously, couldn't figure out how to use the Android keyboard?), we do still get the same prompt as if we could enter a name.

But of course. We're now Taylor. Praying that the surname isn't Swift.

So apparently we're Taylor Aria. What a weird name. Google hits up Aria Taylor, but no Taylor Arias. Your guess is as good as mine.

Taylor still receives the same mysterious non-explanation of their powers, dialogue is the same. What makes this bloody annoying is that screen flicker issue I've mentioned before, compunded by when you go out and back into the game, you end up advancing the dialogue just by doing so. You could seriously miss lines by doing that - not that I would mind that much, had I not been screenshotting.

Same save screen, same save file thing, yadda yadda. I'll stop here - I'd rather join on as Blarg's co-commentator than try and one-man this sub LP on my own. There are plenty of further holes I can poke in this game, and I'm sure that two can take pain better than just one.

Besides, I wanted to see the name that I'd get in this weird mobile port.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ikasuhito posted:

Nobody ever figured out why, and the testing of the crime scene was done with broken instruments so nobody knows if it was *just* chlorine they gassed an entire hotel with or something else with it.

Google up "Midwest FurFest chlorine gas" and you'll find a lot of articles about it. Including a Know Your Meme page because of course there is.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

willimm posted:

Not shown: If you go away from the Major\Minor app and then go back to it, you'll come back to a bunch of screen flicker or an otherwise garbled screen. Convenient if you want to start up a rave party, not so if you just want to play the game. It'll reset itself if you go out and go back into the app.
I don't see this guy doing anything weird to get the engine to do what he wants, so is RPG Maker's mobile build support maybe not the best, or what?

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

FractalSandwich posted:

I don't see this guy doing anything weird to get the engine to do what he wants, so is RPG Maker's mobile build support maybe not the best, or what?

I wouldn't be surprised in this case. It might even be an incompatibility with Android 7.0 and RPG Maker. Maaay report that later to the makers of the engine.

Since the developer is one of the least technically minded people I've ever seen (seriously, he thinks that Ren'Py/Python doesn't support variables and conditional branching), I think he was mostly hands-off with this port.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You heard it here first: one of the most prolific general-purpose programming languages in the world is not Turing complete.

That's pretty far out there. I can't even imagine what he must have seen or heard to make him think that.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

FractalSandwich posted:

You heard it here first: one of the most prolific general-purpose programming languages in the world is not Turing complete.

That's pretty far out there. I can't even imagine what he must have seen or heard to make him think that.

Probably this. Despite what the page now claims, it previously claimed that Python 3 wasn't Turing complete because it couldn't run Python 2 and there was no mention of that being a "gag" at all.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon

FractalSandwich posted:

Here's the actual reason the developer gave. He seemed to think that Ren'Py and Tyrannobuilder were unable to support complex branching with variables, even though both engines can. And when you consider that Ren'Py is technically a big module on top of the workhorse that is Python, it's easy to extend his ludicrous claim towards the language itself.

He's really not a programmer.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Hundreds of variables? Woah, let's not go crazy here, Mr. Ambition. There's no game engine on the market that can deliver that kind of power.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No visual novel has ever had other characters change how they behave depending on how you treat them. This is breakthrough stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

willimm posted:

Here's the actual reason the developer gave. He seemed to think that Ren'Py and Tyrannobuilder were unable to support complex branching with variables, even though both engines can. And when you consider that Ren'Py is technically a big module on top of the workhorse that is Python, it's easy to extend his ludicrous claim towards the language itself.

He's really not a programmer.

What? He's totally a :airquote: programmer :airquote: ... But yeah He's not really good at it. Everything he's done really does scream "Just started programming."

• Locked thread