Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

who was it that beat the poo poo out of Andy Dick after that? I remember it was a guy who's normally a shithead but he had one moment of coolness by loving him up. I wanna say Lovitz but I can't imagine him beating anyone up...

On July 10, 2007, Dick and former Newsradio costar Jon Lovitz got into a physical confrontation at The Laugh Factory in Los Angeles. The two had several previous disagreements concerning the death of their mutual friend Phil Hartman. According to Lovitz, Dick had given Hartman's wife Brynn cocaine at a Christmas party at Hartman's house in 1997; Brynn, a recovering addict, fell back into drug use, culminating in her killing Hartman and herself on May 28, 1998. When Lovitz joined the cast of Newsradio as Hartman's replacement, he and Dick got into an argument in which Lovitz said, "I wouldn't be here if you hadn't given Brynn coke in the first place." Lovitz eventually apologized to Dick for the remark.[47] In early 2007, Dick approached Lovitz at a restaurant and said "I put the Phil Hartman hex on you - you're the next to die."[48] At the Laugh Factory, Lovitz demanded an apology from Dick, who refused and accused the comic of blaming him for Hartman's death. Lovitz then smashed Dick's head into the bar.[48]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
double post

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oh Snapple! posted:

lovitz sounds right, he definitely beat him up over something

yea it feels like that was it because he was the only guy around that time who was enough of a shitbag to make 'but when he heard Andy was being a horrible monster about it he went nuts on him' a stand out story.

I really want to watch a Lovitz/Dick fight though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pomp posted:

On July 10, 2007, Dick and former Newsradio costar Jon Lovitz got into a physical confrontation at The Laugh Factory in Los Angeles. The two had several previous disagreements concerning the death of their mutual friend Phil Hartman. According to Lovitz, Dick had given Hartman's wife Brynn cocaine at a Christmas party at Hartman's house in 1997; Brynn, a recovering addict, fell back into drug use, culminating in her killing Hartman and herself on May 28, 1998. When Lovitz joined the cast of Newsradio as Hartman's replacement, he and Dick got into an argument in which Lovitz said, "I wouldn't be here if you hadn't given Brynn coke in the first place." Lovitz eventually apologized to Dick for the remark.[47] In early 2007, Dick approached Lovitz at a restaurant and said "I put the Phil Hartman hex on you - you're the next to die."[48] At the Laugh Factory, Lovitz demanded an apology from Dick, who refused and accused the comic of blaming him for Hartman's death. Lovitz then smashed Dick's head into the bar.[48]

haha there it is.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't know how you'd qualify someone as elite then because it's entirely based around how much access (money) one has to society's upper levels.

elite means you are better, more skilled, or at least more respected and refined than other people

like elite athletes or elite schools or elite academics

i am not sure i consider trump to be better or more skilled or anything than other people

he seems the opposite of elite, vulgar

do you not think that vulgar fits him a lot better as an adjective than elite?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

GlyphGryph posted:

elite means you are better, more skilled, or at least more respected and refined than other people

i am not sure i consider trump to be better or more skilled or anything than other people

This is a great point, a millionaire who teaches at a community college is going to be seen as much less of an elite than a much less wealthy person who teaches at Harvard or Princeton.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

this is a really weird, literalist, reframing of how most people use it that has some very unfortunate connotations. Like, does that mean the political elite are inherently better than you and me?

I think you're making a mistake creating an elite/vulgar duality. I'd call it more an elite/common/vulgar thing where you can be more than one in different ways. I think Trump is very vulgar man ethically, but absolutely he's elite socially. He's both a vulgar, sad, little man who grabs pussy and yells about minorities and an elite in our culture because he has the means and money to use his golden tower life to bully people who dare speak out against him, and rally his fans and supporters to intimidate, say, a rando lady who calls his lovely steakhouse gross.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

elites are the teachers that tell you to quiet down, the manager you have to answer to, the professor who tells you that your ideas are baseless

billionaires (without add't context) arent perceived as elites, theyre just folks who made it big, just like you will, eventually!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
vulgar literally means low class

and society as a whole constantly sends the message that elites are intrinsically better than us yes

like you can say that there are disturbing implications but thats society for you

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

this is a really weird, literalist, reframing of how most people use it that has some very unfortunate connotations. Like, does that mean the political elite are inherently better than you and me?

The political elite absolutely do think this, yes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

vulgar literally means low class

and society as a whole constantly sends the message that elites are intrinsically better than us yes

like you can say that there are disturbing implications but thats society for you

that's a pretty lazy excuse honestly. I'm talking about beliefs and you're just kinda going 'eh, society' as if we're all part of a hivemind that's already decided

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
A lot of it is cultural too, I guarentee people (or at least Trump voters) don't see someone like Toby Keith as an elite, despite making $50 million a year (more than twice Bill Mahers net worth)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Trump has been a well known persona since the 80's. He hasn't been "hated" by the elites since he ran for president under the GOP.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Trump has been a well known persona since the 80's. He hasn't been "hated" by the elites since he ran for president under the GOP.

his entire thing since the 80's has been trying to impress the 'bigger elite' that absolutely do hate him because he's like the literal root of the stereotype of new money trash.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Honestly if anything this election is a testament to how skilled Kelly Anne Conway is, I wonder if she thinks about how she's going to go down as Trumps Rove/Goebbels.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

if you want a test to see if someone is part of the elite see if you could imagine them complaining the common people as a class

i could see hillary doing that

i could see trump complaining about specific people but not the whole class

even if he does its an image thing

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Dec 24, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

if you want a test to see if someone is part of the elite see if you could imagine them complaining the common people as a class

i could see hillary doing that

i could see trump complaining about specific people but not the whole class

even if he does its an image thing

I think this is less a trump thing and more a hillary thing with you, like a lot of things with you turn out to be

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think this is less a trump thing and more a hillary thing with you, like a lot of things with you turn out to be

fine then use romney as a comparison

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

except with romney we dont even have to imagine

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zen death robot posted:

I'm trying to figure out how an election where a billionaire who's basically signing up a shitload of other billionaires to be his cabinet was a repudiation of elitists in government in any way that makes any loving sense at all

he didn't talk like an elite. you Could Have A Beer With Him. he might be a billionaire but he's not one of those shifty political billionaires, he's a hard-working businessman trying to Make America Great Again, not like those thieving lawyers and community organizers trying to destroy the businesses that represent American ingenuity and productivity in order to grow the parasitic government. etc, etc

zen death robot posted:

Normally that poo poo is suicide but he got away with it because he was seen through the reality TV lens. At least that's my feelings on it. At some point the election became a reality TV show where the normal rules of real reality no longer applied. Sometime in late 2015ish and it just picked up steam from there.

i think what people have accepted as the general rules of politics for a long while (like "sex scandals are bad", "being on good terms with the press is critical", and "publicly disrespecting a veteran is haraam") haven't actually been true for quite a few years - probably at least a decade, if not more. politicians still mostly follow those rules anyway, and enforce them against each other, but even before Trump there were some signs that voters actually care a lot less about those things than the political establishment tends to assume.

by traditional political standards, he earns the "worst candidate ever" label many have placed on him - but he won by making GBS threads all over traditional political standards, throwing them at his opponents, and then demanding they apologize for daring to be hit by them. meanwhile Hillary based her operation on the most modern understanding of political standards and metrics of all time, feeding all sorts of polls and focus groups into a highly automated data-driven political machine. so it's probably time to step back and explore how many of those traditional political standards and metrics declared by the political establishment are obsolete, no longer relevant, or were complete bullshit from the very beginning

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Trump appears to be a winner so he's a winner to the same people that think they are successful and definitely not poor despite being one missed paycheck away from defaulting on everything they (don't) own

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

he didn't talk like an elite. you Could Have A Beer With Him. he might be a billionaire but he's not one of those shifty political billionaires, he's a hard-working businessman trying to Make America Great Again, not like those thieving lawyers and community organizers trying to destroy the businesses that represent American ingenuity and productivity in order to grow the parasitic government. etc, etc

i think what people have accepted as the general rules of politics for a long while (like "sex scandals are bad", "being on good terms with the press is critical", and "publicly disrespecting a veteran is haraam") haven't actually been true for quite a few years - probably at least a decade, if not more. politicians still mostly follow those rules anyway, and enforce them against each other, but even before Trump there were some signs that voters actually care a lot less about those things than the political establishment tends to assume.

by traditional political standards, he earns the "worst candidate ever" label many have placed on him - but he won by making GBS threads all over traditional political standards, throwing them at his opponents, and then demanding they apologize for daring to be hit by them. meanwhile Hillary based her operation on the most modern understanding of political standards and metrics of all time, feeding all sorts of polls and focus groups into a highly automated data-driven political machine. so it's probably time to step back and explore how many of those traditional political standards and metrics declared by the political establishment are obsolete, no longer relevant, or were complete bullshit from the very beginning

trump won because he made (hollow) economic promises and hillary promised not trump, and did victory lap bullshit while people on the ground where telling her they need help. Trump won with a lower turnout than the last three losers had.

Talk of the rules not existing kind of ignores that trump only survived the general because the hillary campaign was stupider than him.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
The KI1600 made a good point about being comfortable in your own skin, a characteristic Bernie and Trump def. had but Clinton did not, same with Bush and Gore.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

i should add that i am just answering the questions people asked. i personally think trump is an elite but i also have no problem figuring out how people could see it otherwise

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Donald Trump, Elite Beat Agent.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I think

no matter what trump is

he is also a douchebag

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

UHD posted:

I think

no matter what trump is

he is also a douchebag

That's very brave of you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

UHD posted:

I think

no matter what trump is

he is also a douchebag

He's a good man, and a family man.

He doesn't even drink

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

UHD posted:

I think

no matter what trump is

he is also a douchebag

now hold on there

he isn't even president yet

just give him a chaaaaance~ :angel:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Lastgirl posted:

now hold on there

he isn't even president yet

just give him a chaaaaance~ :angel:

He's just waiting for after his inauguration to pivot, so the establishment can't sabatage him.*

* A real view Trump supporters are putting forth to justify things he's done since the election.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ace of Baes posted:

He's just waiting for after his inauguration to pivot, so the establishment can't sabatage him.*

* A real view Trump supporters are putting forth to justify things he's done since the election.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's actually kind of right.

Not that Trump will drop the act and do the right thing, but that he'll drop the act and just treat the position like it's just a more glorified version of the Apprentice.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

steinrokkan posted:

He doesn't even drink
He's bringing drugs. He's bringing crime. He's a rapist.

And some of him, I assume, is a good person. not really

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

You can tell, since he's got like 3 families.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
this poo poo is like gormles s dot com dot co dot uk dot ukip

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Hey can someone post horseshoe theory: C-Spam addition again? I need it elsewhere but it turns out I didn't save it like I thought I did.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

reignonyourparade posted:

Hey can someone post horseshoe theory: C-Spam addition again? I need it elsewhere but it turns out I didn't save it like I thought I did.

check the pic thread :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pomp posted:

andy dick is a terrible person

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

reignonyourparade posted:

Don't think I've seen a horseshoe pic with "intoxicated detatchment" at the top.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Rangpur posted:

C-Spam Democrats: "We will return the Democratic Party to its progressive roots by ignoring our primary voters and selecting the candidate in a closed door meeting of the most distinguished woke leftists on twitter."

NPR interviewed some DNC person during the primaries that unironically thought that choosing the candidate in smoke-filled rooms was the better way because it meant that whoever came out in the end was someone who "could work with the party" and they should go back to doing things that way.

Of course that all assumes that the party is worth working with and not a complete train wreck that would allow a mentally ill oompa loompa to slide into office vs :airquote:The Most Qualified Candidate Ever:airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

MizPiz posted:

Don't think I've seen a horseshoe pic with "intoxicated detatchment" at the top.

:cawg: nailed it :kiss:

• Locked thread