Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Redundant posted:

Go to the right and fly a Pharah or D.Va across the death pit, focus down a support, cause a distraction, use comms to get your team to push at the same time.

I'd only recommend the far right flank if you specifically need to be on that side. Going over the house with the collapsed roof is faster and you have more space from the red team. Right side you could run into respawning people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

gnome7 posted:

Pretty much. At best, a bastion caught off guard will take their enemy with them, which is not a winning strategy on Defense.

Bastion is just too easily countered by too many characters to last. The entire Offense roster is good against him, half of the Defenders are, Zenyatta can kill him as fast as he tears down a Reinhardt shield or a D.Va matrix, and Ana can just put him to sleep and make him irrelevant. Literally half the cast can beat him with minimal help and any amount of teamwork makes their job easy.

...so, how would Bastion perform in the current tank-heavy meta? Is Ana's dart and Roadhog's hook the only thing the standard Rien/Hog/Dva/Ana/Lucio/76 comp can do to it?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Tenebrais posted:

...so, how would Bastion perform in the current tank-heavy meta? Is Ana's dart and Roadhog's hook the only thing the standard Rien/Hog/Dva/Ana/Lucio/76 comp can do to it?

If the bastion isn't covered soldier w/ rockets can take him out before he can do much

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah that was my thought, it seems fairly hard to punish with current 4 tank lineups. Unblocked hooks and darts are brutal but that's true for almost all characters.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Nthing the use of Pharah/Dva to break Eichenwalde/Hanamura A chokepoints. Power around the back and 1-2 defenders will come to focus you. Giving your team a huge advantage to push through.

Unless your team is crap, then you'll just die repeatedly as your [insert tank here] attempts to DPS the enemy flankers and healers.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My friend has suggested that on Volskaya 1 (with the leap of faith to the left) and it seems to work OK.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Tenebrais posted:

Whenever I'm playing as Ana I am happy to see an enemy Bastion, because if he's set up the sleep dart cannot miss. It's the easiest thing, and since Bastion is usually in the back and also requires set up time, a sleep dart takes him out of the fight for even longer than everyone else, nearly 9 seconds' worth.

That said, he's pretty good against the rest of that lineup as long as he doesn't get in Roadhog hook range, but the Lucio would probably switch to Zenyatta if Bastion becomes a problem. Otherwise, their only counter is to have the Rein/D.Va coordinate with Soldier to shoot Bastion before the shield/matrix goes down. And while that's super do-able, it can be rough if the rest of Bastion's team is putting pressure on them, probably with a D.Va/Rein combo of their own.

Basically, while the current meta favors Bastion pretty heavily in theory, in practice he's still only a decent pick, not a great one, and there's like 10 characters you'd still want ahead of him. Not being able to move is just so crippling in a game that values mobility so highly. A character who sits in place as a big box is always going to be vulnerable to a lot of stuff, just as an inherent part of his design.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 23, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

he doesn't because nobody plays bastion because he's bad (seriously, he had zero picks in any pro game in the last meta report)

you can do a lot of damage, sure; that's cool. but you also can't move. this means you have very limited lines of sight and that you're a big ol' target for pretty much anything to murder. you might think that he'd be better against tanks but that's not really how it works out in practice. d.va+rein can waste all his bullets, zarya converts them into damage for herself, and roadhog can simply hook the stupid robot and kill him. I'm sure you're thinking "but we can have a reinhardt of our own protect the bastion!" and, ok, sure. go for it. but that's basically saying "this is where we're defending and we literally can't move" so the other team can just... walk around you. or even behind, on some maps. bastion has had some niche uses on maps where he can cover every possible entrance (nepal village has been the classic bastion spot in pro play, tho even there he's rare) but for the most part the damage is not even remotely worth limiting your entire team by having to work around a stationary turret. you can't react to things because it takes so long to reposition. it's a hard commit and if things don't go exactly the way you want, things fall apart

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I've watched a few pro games where Bastion was brought out on koth maps with full team support to good effect.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Loading up Overwatch on a new fancy 1440p freesync 144 hz monitor for the first time................

:catstare::catstare::catstare:

Things will never be the same, my hooks will be 94% more bullshit.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
make sure you actually set it to 144hz in options

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Manatee Cannon posted:

he doesn't because nobody plays bastion because he's bad (seriously, he had zero picks in any pro game in the last meta report)

you can do a lot of damage, sure; that's cool. but you also can't move. this means you have very limited lines of sight and that you're a big ol' target for pretty much anything to murder. you might think that he'd be better against tanks but that's not really how it works out in practice. d.va+rein can waste all his bullets, zarya converts them into damage for herself, and roadhog can simply hook the stupid robot and kill him. I'm sure you're thinking "but we can have a reinhardt of our own protect the bastion!" and, ok, sure. go for it. but that's basically saying "this is where we're defending and we literally can't move" so the other team can just... walk around you. or even behind, on some maps. bastion has had some niche uses on maps where he can cover every possible entrance (nepal village has been the classic bastion spot in pro play, tho even there he's rare) but for the most part the damage is not even remotely worth limiting your entire team by having to work around a stationary turret. you can't react to things because it takes so long to reposition. it's a hard commit and if things don't go exactly the way you want, things fall apart

Pretty much. You want him for sentry mode only. Even if it makes sense to reposition, any time Bastion spends walking is lost value. So unless you expect to fight in one general area the entire match there's better picks.

One fix would be to give recon mode some utility not yet present in game.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

The Walrus posted:

make sure you actually set it to 144hz in options

Indeed, the difference is amazing. I'm ruined and can never go back at this point.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Pharah is cancer.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mymla posted:

I've watched a few pro games where Bastion was brought out on koth maps with full team support to good effect.
yea bastion works pretty good when you already embarrassingly outmatch your opponents

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Verranicus posted:

Pharah is cancer.

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Pharah Real Hahahaha McCree Just Point And Shoot Her Like Cowboy Look Up Haha

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Proposition Joe posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Pharah Real Hahahaha McCree Just Point And Shoot Her Like Cowboy Look Up Haha

Soldier is much more reliable anti air than McCree, unless your an aim savant and the pharah isn't doing anything to avoid being shot.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Proposition Joe posted:

Verranicus is a Torb main.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Dietrich posted:

Soldier is much more reliable anti air than McCree, unless your an aim savant and the pharah isn't doing anything to avoid being shot.

Not really, since Pharah does actually have enough health, and in this Symmetra world she has 275 hp and unless you're the best Soldier shot ever, you're not going to knock her out of the air before she makes a mess.

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006
how do i win in my competitive placement matches if my aim is garbage, i mute my teammates and i dont like to play healer/tank?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Kilano posted:

how do i win in my competitive placement matches if my aim is garbage, i mute my teammates and i dont like to play healer/tank?

Turn off the game?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Pharah is cancer.

:frogout:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kilano posted:

play shotgun characters I guess.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

My most reliable Pharah counter is honestly going Pharah myself. I'm pretty sure I have a better accuracy airshotting other Pharahs than shooting her with hitscan.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I mean, half the shotgun characters are tanks but there's still Reaper/Torbjorn

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kilano posted:

Fix one to three of those problems.

You could also try to find a group of trusted teammates so you can communicate without having to interact with random strangers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I have a better chance of taking Pharah out of the air with D.Va than I do McCree )=

(McCree needs rocket boots clearly)

E: I think a lot of the problem with me is that I just haven't really worked out the positioning of McCree yet. Most people who play that character don't seem to expose themselves as much as I have a tendency to.

Rick fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 24, 2016

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
Every hero should have rocket boots IMO.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Rein being able to dash straight upward would be so great. He just gets up there and piledrives pharah.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I like to use dva to fly straight up at pharah then karate chop+ shoot her

They usually don't know how to respond

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Yeah they usually just kind of freeze after this, and then I shoot them as I descend graceful as a rock back to the Earth.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Kilano posted:

Free yourself of the shackles of victory and embrace the power that is i hanjo.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kilano posted:

Those are all pretty integral things for success. You might as well ask, "How do I bake a good cake if I'm bad at measuring, I leave my stove off, and I don't like to use fresh ingredients?"

The best you could do is play Symmetra with that criteria.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Mei if you're competent with your wall abuse. Either way you're likely to be running into legions of ana+lucio and too drat many tanks teams over and over and over and over.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The right answer is to slampick the character you find most fun to play, play (and probably lose) a bunch until your SR is at an appropriate level for your skills, and then just enjoy your balanced, fun matches that you'll win about half the time.

If you explicitly only care about getting a high SR, though, what you'll really want to do is get good at the game.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kilano posted:

play junkrat

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Kilano posted:

duo with someone who will carry you

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Theta Zero posted:

The best you could do is play Symmetra with that criteria.

Having gone 8-2 in qp last night slampicking her every game while fairly hammered, can confirm this is good and true advice, please delete character i can win with while drunk in a skill based game blizz

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Re: overtime
My original rant was because I had a Nepal map where my team went 99-0 and lost in Overtime in two straight rounds. I could even practically see it happening before it happened.

"Ahah-hah well played red team that won't happen a--- it's going to happen again won't it oh god it's happening. gently caress overtime."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Why don't they just concussive blast you away? At least that's what I'd do. Stupid Pharahi.