Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

And More posted:

Yeah, that mission and the scene in which Kyoya and the nun get blasted away by the red tide were a really nice way to build tension. I can't wait to get some context. :allears:

"You'll pay for the seat but you'll only need the edge" it's super cheap, but it's got me hooked. This game has a treasure trove of little story moments that have to be hunted down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.48 - Risk Your Life For A Doll

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Sometimes I'm really amused at how you can take the tension out of some games, SGF.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Harumi's drawn-out "Nooooooo" when she sees Missus Takato is still hilarious to me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Perhaps "half-shibito" is just an awkward translation for characters that have only recently turned. To this point shibito has meant any kind of baddie, not just the buggified ones, while in this level the Maeda's are still fresh undead and are more concerned about the routines of their family life than building the nest.

Cyan Dag
Oct 21, 2010

supergreatfriend posted:

SUMMARY OF THE GAME'S TIMELINE

Day 2: 15:00
- Harumi, now on her own, has hidden in the abandoned house to get some sleep. However, she's awakened by the sound of Shibito in the house, who turn out to be Tomoko and her parents. Harumi sneaks by them to escape the house, stopping along the way to take Tomoko's toy monkey, as well as finding the doll that Miyako dropped. As Harumi attempts to leave the yard through the front gate, she encounters Reiko, now a Shibito. Harumi is able to escape from Reiko, and escapes into the wilderness.
- ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Oh, I see

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Christ were those ribs? Swear to god I saw rib bones.

Somebody gettin et.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

RickVoid posted:

Somebody gettin et.

Yeah, maybe that was what the "fish" saw as it was being eaten. It's kind of hard to tell, but the woman who looks over had similar features to Hisako.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

RickVoid posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought I saw, too. I didn't think it was fish, though :ohdear:

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I'm guessing that each map (since they're re-used) have laid out generic paths that Shibito follow. Since the maps are usually fairly open and it's hard to predict what the player will do, if a Shibito can't go back to its own path, it'll pick any non-special-Shibito path to patrol. The mother and the father break their pathing probably because it's not just time-based, but requires all Family Shibito to be able to act (otherwise if they were out of sync, the level could become impossible). Not climbing back up to the house seems to be just an oversight of not marking the ledge as climbable?

That's just my guess as to why the AI here breaks the way it does.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
SGF, I'm sorry but you would be a terrible real estate agent. The Maeda's house isn't cramped, it's cozy.

rimjet
Jan 7, 2011
I'm grateful that SGF revisited this level because the other day I found a video showing the Maeda family's faces and dialogue a bit better. It's the japanese version of the game but I think it's still worth a post! Just as a quick warning, I wouldn't poke around in the user's other videos if you're trying to avoid spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79MpEtesIn0

Japanese is still hard for me but I believe Tomoko's asking Harumi to play with her which is pretty sad to me. :( Tomoko doesn't know any better, she just wants to show Harumi what a rad time she could be having as a shibito!

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

rimjet posted:

I'm grateful that SGF revisited this level because the other day I found a video showing the Maeda family's faces and dialogue a bit better. It's the japanese version of the game but I think it's still worth a post! Just as a quick warning, I wouldn't poke around in the user's other videos if you're trying to avoid spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79MpEtesIn0

Japanese is still hard for me but I believe Tomoko's asking Harumi to play with her which is pretty sad to me. :( Tomoko doesn't know any better, she just wants to show Harumi what a rad time she could be having as a shibito!

Oh, that's a good source! Here's what I got with my rough translations:

Mother: 勝手に人の家に入るなんて悪い子ねえ [laughter]
"Naughty kid, just walking into someone else's home..."

Father: 悪い子はお仕置きだぞ [laughter] (There's also a part before this I can't make out)
"Bad children should be punished!"

Tomoko: 一勝に遊ぼう?
"Let's play together?"

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.49 - Pay Attention To The Praying Woman

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

supergreatfriend posted:

P.49 - Pay Attention To The Praying Woman

So that's it then, all of our day 3 missions:
00:00 - Harumi
03:00 - Tamon
12:00 - Kei (Video 42)
16:00 - Kei
22:00 - Tamon
23:00 - Kyoya

Also: Miyako had previously said she wouldn't let Kyoya become "one of them (a shibito)"; here we see her giving him some of her blood. Later on, Shiro tells Yoriko to thank her savior (Kyoya); I'm guessing whatever Miyako did prevented Kyoya (and by extension Yoriko) from becoming a shibito. So maybe Kyoya really was the main character all along?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Those are just missions that have second objectives, though. Unless literally every mission has a second objective, which sounds like a great way to pad your game out.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Artix posted:

Those are just missions that have second objectives, though. Unless literally every mission has a second objective, which sounds like a great way to pad your game out.

Every mission thus far has had a second objective; I don't see why the day 3 missions would be any different so far.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
Some of the Christianity aspects of whatever weird religion the Hanuda village has seemed especially prevalent to me in this episode. The lion, the bull, the eagle, and the man represent the four Gospel writers, although given the archive item regarding the four headed beast, it seems more likely that this is more of a reference to the cherubim described in Ezekiel with similar imagery I believe reappearing in the book of Revelation.

quote:

Within it there were figures resembling four living beings. And this was their appearance: they had human form. 6Each of them had four faces and four wings. 7Their legs were straight and their feet were like a calf's hoof, and they gleamed like burnished bronze.…As for the form of their faces, each had the face of a man; all four had the face of a lion on the right and the face of a bull on the left, and all four had the face of an eagle.

Also in the last movie, Miyako's phrasing was really interesting. The whole "this is my blood, eternal pact of salvation' is pretty much what the priest says during the consecration of the wine in the Eucharist portion of Catholic Mass.

I realize there's been evidence of Christian influence on the Hanuda religion throughout the game, but for some reason, it really popped for me during this episode. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I can probably elaborate/correct me here since I'm going on my Catholic upbringing here and I'm not particularly that good of a Catholic. v :shobon: v I'm really curious to see how this all ties into the alien sea god they're apparently summoning.

Rinaldo
Nov 8, 2009
So what would have happened if you had lit all the lanterns the first time through the level? It seems for every other level the game prevents you from doing the secondary objectives until you have already completed the primary objective, but here you already had everything you needed the first time. So if you knew knew you had to light the lanterns in a specific order, could you have done it? Would you still have gotten the cutscene of the lights floating off into the sky? And would it have counted you completing the secondary objective, or would you have had to replay the level anyway?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

scorpiobean posted:

Some of the Christianity aspects of whatever weird religion the Hanuda village has seemed especially prevalent to me in this episode. The lion, the bull, the eagle, and the man represent the four Gospel writers, although given the archive item regarding the four headed beast, it seems more likely that this is more of a reference to the cherubim described in Ezekiel with similar imagery I believe reappearing in the book of Revelation.

Also in the last movie, Miyako's phrasing was really interesting. The whole "this is my blood, eternal pact of salvation' is pretty much what the priest says during the consecration of the wine in the Eucharist portion of Catholic Mass.

I realize there's been evidence of Christian influence on the Hanuda religion throughout the game, but for some reason, it really popped for me during this episode. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I can probably elaborate/correct me here since I'm going on my Catholic upbringing here and I'm not particularly that good of a Catholic. v :shobon: v I'm really curious to see how this all ties into the alien sea god they're apparently summoning.

Yeah the Hanuda religion seems to be the equivalent of them taking a box labeled "Christianity", shaking it out, and randomly grabbing stuff to mash into their own interpretation. In addition to the creature sounding like those cherubim, the whole "set to guard Paradise" is straight out of Genesis, as God set an Angel with a flaming sword to guard Eden against Humanity.

The Eucharist portion of Catholic Mass (which is nearly identical to the taking of Communion in most other Christian off-shoots) is a direct reference to the words attributed to Christ at the Last Supper, where he compared the broken bread to his body, which would be broken for them, and the wine his blood, which represented a new covenant, or contract between Man and Heaven, whereby Man would be granted salvation if he would just repent his sins and stop being a loving rear end in a top hat for five minutes.

Now if the mixing of her blood and Kyoya's is what is preventing him and Yoriko from being turned into Shibito, then I'm concerned that I was correct about what we saw in that weirdly distorted short clip. The body was being sacrificed, and devoured, to seal the covenant.

Sucks to be Miyako.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Rinaldo posted:

So what would have happened if you had lit all the lanterns the first time through the level? It seems for every other level the game prevents you from doing the secondary objectives until you have already completed the primary objective, but here you already had everything you needed the first time. So if you knew knew you had to light the lanterns in a specific order, could you have done it? Would you still have gotten the cutscene of the lights floating off into the sky? And would it have counted you completing the secondary objective, or would you have had to replay the level anyway?

You can't do it the first time through since you 'don't have access to all the levels with those markers as of then. Even if you did find the candles on the first run through Reiko's level.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So one of the shibito continues walking towards Harumi even after you honk the horn, thus forcing you to blow everything up to save her.

I gotta say, that's actually a clever way to ensure you don't just fight the shibito and break the game scripting/story.

Rinaldo
Nov 8, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You can't do it the first time through since you 'don't have access to all the levels with those markers as of then. Even if you did find the candles on the first run through Reiko's level.

Really? I thought all the levels with the stone markers happened before that. Guess I was misremembering. Thanks for clearing that up.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I really liked the clue for this level. Very straight forward and actually helpful.

And I'm happy we got some kind of "closure" for the mysterious stone discs that were going into the ground, even though the connection with the altars and lanterns made little sense.

To be honest I don't think I expected anything making sense for that particular mystery. I thought pushing those stone markers would be an easter egg kind of thing that would lead to something funny like the "aliens" ending of Silent Hill.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I guess I can sort of understand why Reiko would do this, given that she's a local who is probably familiar with the prayer ritual. She goes around lighting the lanterns asking silently for divine intervention, but she doesn't expect to be answered by balls of light that vanish into the night and then don't do anything for two days.

It's just a baffling series of event that lead to this having to happen, and I wish they had found a way to make secondary objectives a part of getting an optional ending instead of simply mandatory for regular game progression.

Also, those pictures on those lamps don't really look like anything to me. The "lion" looked like a...dog? The "goat" looked more like a dragon to me. I could not say the "face" looked like anything at all.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There's an idea (that I can't actually remember if it has much basis in the first game's canon) that the events that are happening are happening many times over in a sort of time loop (the 'loop' being the same one referred to by the game when you reach the end of a path). The events, by virtue of repetition, end up varying a bit -- minor variations, like a character stumbling on a scarf or a letter, but also major ones like the ritual in this latest stage. Sure, it's improbable that how the stage went would happen, but it was possible and so we see an outcome where it happened.

I think the second game might elaborate on the idea more, and I think the remake Blood Curse builds upon it more than both.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Okay wow catching up on a lot of videos. Lotta poo poo has happened. Tomoko. :( And Naoko! I really liked her. But since we 'saw' her death, and not Tomoko's, it makes me think the red water really is the corrupter. I.E., what all of our characters have been breathing in this entire time, given the very humid environment, even if they have been avoiding the red water properly (I'm looking at you, Yoriko). Except those who've received the Special Blood transfusion from Miyako (...or of a Kajiro, generally?) that somehow negates the red water effect. So that being said, it seems like Kyoya and Yoriko might/will survive this, but everyone else is up in the air.

E-flat posted:

Aw man. I'll remember you, Akira. Interesting. Kinda explains why when Tamon shot him, (spoilered to let other people watch the video) he didn't curl up like the other shibito. Zombification is not an instant process. Instant mania, perhaps. Instant immortality, sure. But not instant shibito, it seems?
Seems I was more right than I thought, if not in the way I expected. I guess a full shibito is one whose entire blood supply has been replaced with the mysterious crystalline structure red water whatever, which is why all the not-cronenberged shibito are only 'half shibito,' since they still have blood to bleed out of their eyeballs. A bit of a shame, since those are so much more scary than the full cronenberg shibito. Even the one I found the creepiest, the spider one--since its human anatomy has been hosed up with for both its arms and legs to bend like it does--stopped being so creepy once I realized their 'I'm incapacitated' cry ended in 'Wooowww wwoaaaAAHHha' like 'way to be a dick buddy i'm just tryna do my spider thing here wow rude.'

Like goddamn those models are horrifying!

Anaxite posted:

Oh, that's a good source! Here's what I got with my rough translations:

Mother: 勝手に人の家に入るなんて悪い子ねえ [laughter]
"Naughty kid, just walking into someone else's home..."

Father: 悪い子はお仕置きだぞ [laughter] (There's also a part before this I can't make out)
"Bad children should be punished!"

Tomoko: 一勝に遊ぼう?
"Let's play together?"
Y'know, before this mission with Harumi (and these lines), I had been hypothesizin' that the abandoned house was Tamon's old house for some reason, but I guess it actually is the Maedas'? Which is kind of weird, since why wouldn't Risa, who grew up in Hanuda, not know about the house/why would the house suddenly appear after everyone went dimension hopping if the Maedas straight up lived there in Normal 2003 Hanuda...? But I guess either way, Papa Maeda is still a hypocrite. Come on, you would let your kid vandalize your floorboards? Geez, parents these days.

And More posted:

Also, this is totally a UFO. :tinfoil:

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

E-flat posted:

Y'know, before this mission with Harumi (and these lines), I had been hypothesizin' that the abandoned house was Tamon's old house for some reason, but I guess it actually is the Maedas'? Which is kind of weird, since why wouldn't Risa, who grew up in Hanuda, not know about the house/why would the house suddenly appear after everyone went dimension hopping if the Maedas straight up lived there in Normal 2003 Hanuda...? But I guess either way, Papa Maeda is still a hypocrite. Come on, you would let your kid vandalize your floorboards? Geez, parents these days.
I not the Maedas' house. It's a house from the '70s that appeared suddenly when everything went to poo poo, like the Miyata clinic did. It's just repeated as a gameplay setting for the sake of convenience.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Snoop Radley posted:

I not the Maedas' house. It's a house from the '70s that appeared suddenly when everything went to poo poo, like the Miyata clinic did. It's just repeated as a gameplay setting for the sake of convenience.

ahhh, ok, then, good. I was really attached to the idea it was Tamon's old house. But that makes it even worse. No awareness. How rude, letting your kid draw on someone else's floorboards. And chastising a child for doing the same thing you are! No wonder Tomoko was so angry when her parents read her diary; it seems they have no respect for other people's belongs. Honestly, I'm surprised they're active cult members. This kind of behavior is one that'd get you poo poo-talked behind your back in such a rural community. They probably don't even bring hors d'oeuvres to the weekly cult meeting when it's their turn, or worse: store-bought. :colbert:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

E-flat posted:

worse: store-bought. :colbert:

Still better than racking up debt with more sky-fish sashimi.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
My view on the Maeda's inhabiting the place is that they THINK it's their house. I always thought they just found the closest appropriate house to play happy family in considering that they're shibito now.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Do we actually know if the Maedas are from this time period? With that level I started to think they might be part of the town that vanished, and time is just repeating itself.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

Momomo posted:

Do we actually know if the Maedas are from this time period?
Kei knows them at the beginning of the game, so I think it's safe to say they are.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

marshmallow creep posted:

The "lion" looked like a...dog?

It's a Shisa

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!
Or maybe a komainu.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I thought it looked like a monkey, but then the rest looked nothing like a lion (the goat looked more like a dragon, but eh) so at least one could figure it out by eliminating the others.

It was a bit of a dick move that for two of the altars you get only a short glimpse of the figure while sightjacking the shibito, and then the camera fucks off and avoids showing the figures at all while she's praying.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I thought the lion was a dinosaur. I was sure the 'bull' was actually a turtle with a spiky shell. The human was a pretty good human, and the eagle I was 90% sure was a Bellsprout.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I felt that whole bit suffered from translation issues. I immediately recognised the lion-dog because I have seen those statues, (there are some guarding an art and design museum here in Gothenburg Sweden even,) and figured the rest of the reliefs were suffering from the same issue of translating known mythological creatures into recognisable English descriptopns

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
This religion out in the middle of nowhere having christian syncretic aspects is heavily based off of the underground Christian cults that retreated to isolated areas due to persecution under the Edo period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Minty posted:

This religion out in the middle of nowhere having christian syncretic aspects is heavily based off of the underground Christian cults that retreated to isolated areas due to persecution under the Edo period
Yeah, it's based off of that. The Cult in Silent Hill, primarily in 1 and 3 also kind of took some of those concepts but to not to much of a degree as Siren did. (i.e. They hide out in the open by co-opting Christian churches like the one Harry first meets Dahlia in, Alessa eventually becomes like a Virgin Mary figure in the Cult, they have saints, etc.)

• Locked thread