Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Alternatively, this game could go all almost-Matrix Reloaded and pull the twist that the real world is actually another simulation and that's why Digimon can be ported out or fuse with other machines and turn into Tengen Toppa Robot Taisen EVA-01, but again, we are in the game where the competent villain that apparently helped orchestrate this whole militar mission suddenly goes "Woops I dropped the Lift Key".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

To be fair to them, I think Team Rocket is more consistently competent than these chump.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Even Jesse and James are more competent than these chuckleheads.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always liked how Jesse and James got their motto wrong but in a way that's appropriate to their character - unlike the rest of Team Rocket they're not bad people - they're three misfits who only have each other because their external friends and family are toxic garbage people. They try to do bad things but they always fail because they half-rear end it, but whenever it's just them looking after each other they do (relatively) fine. They're just stuck with Team Rocket cause likely no one else will hire them for long.

They also treat their Pokemon fairly well despite being incompetent in most other areas - in varying episodes they've trained with them, taken care of them and their pokemon (Victreebel excluded because he wasn't James's original weepinbell - the shady kindergarten switched it with a stranger so James would think he had evolved) tend to care about them too as demonstrated in the Island of Giant Pokemon episode.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 14, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

They're also pretty good at being good guys, apparently.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
Just a tidbit about this game I found out recently, apparently the Estimated time to speedrun this game (100% completion) is 500 hours. Some guy spent 230 hours before having to give up due to health concerns.

Puts the game padding and shoddy design into perspective really.

Wiffle fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 15, 2016

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wiffle posted:

Just tidbit about this game I found out recently, apparently the Estimated time to speedrun this game (100% completion) is 500 hours. Some guy spent 230 hours before having to give up due to health concerns.

JFC that's insane.

GawainStark
Apr 9, 2016

Wiffle posted:

Just tidbit about this game I found out recently, apparently the Estimated time to speedrun this game (100% completion) is 500 hours. Some guy spent 230 hours before having to give up due to health concerns.

Whoa, I knew the game was bad with padding but that is just insane.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really am curious how much of that time is spent at the Gym/in the Seabed/in the Circuit Board/backtracking.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
The any% speedrun is 'only' 7:22 hours, and heavily abuses that counter attack accessory that was banned partway through this LP. So I imagine that levelling up all the digimon takes well over a hundred hours of grinding....
I feel bad for any kids that tried to change their team partway through the game.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Wiffle posted:

The any% speedrun is 'only' 7:22 hours, and heavily abuses that counter attack accessory that was banned partway through this LP. So I imagine that levelling up all the digimon takes well over a hundred hours of grinding....
I feel bad for any kids that tried to change their team partway through the game.

Seriously, the game's bad enough about EXP, no real reason to change up the group unless you have a SERIOUSLY bad party.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
The exception being, of course, if you're not playing the NA version and want to access the postgame in which case you need 5 Digimon at level 45

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Update 22: Wheel of Wasted Time

Well, that entire trip to the Dum Dum Factory was entirely pointless.

It's almost like that entire detour was...dum.

I'd tell you to get out, but then I'd have to do this flying solo and yeah that poo poo ain't happening.

On my way back to Noise Desert, I kicked a tree out of spite and ran into the last version of Cardmon. This one has four translucent cards circling it; I'd mention what it drops on defeat, but A) it's a Card pack, because it always is and B) the fucker ran away before I could kill him to find out exactly which one.

Anyway, there's only one other place a Resistance could be, if they're not in the Secret Room. Ugh...

S Noise Desert, like in Asuka Server, introduces a new enemy. And only one, which makes sense since it's a tiny screen.

Name: Quetzalmon
Level: Armor (Equivalent to a Champion)
Location: Amaterasu West - South Noise Desert, Mobius Desert, Mirage Tower

Drops: None

2 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 4 WIS, 2 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 223, BIT: 440

Regular Attack: No Element
Technique: None

They're using a lot of Armor Digimon in this game, which makes sense; when it came out, Tamers (Season 3) had just been released, so they didn't have many other Digimon to draw on. Given that there are nine Digi-Eggs in total (not counting the Digi-Egg of Miracles or Destiny, since those are special and don't get used often) and six Digimon that can Digivolve using said eggs, that's 54 Digimon that they can use without having to be creative.

And we all know about this game and creativity.

This jerk's here. Hi, buddy.

Trooper: Hey, you! Who are you?! You're suspicious. Let's Digimon Battle to see who you are!

So, uh, I've typed those three lines out so many times that I tried it without looking at the screenshots, and the only mistake I made was saying 'find out who you are' instead of 'see who you are'.

Quality writing.

Renamon's ice techs are starting to get nasty, and they'll only get more powerful once I finally start using Sakuyamon instead of grinding up Gallantmon for future reasons.

Anyway, yeah, we're heading to Mirage Tower again. Hope you guys remember how to get there, or good luck wandering around.

Oh right, that annoying grid puzzle way back. Was kinda hoping this desert would be shortened, but I was a fool to hope.

Especially when there are jerks to fight:

In-game model:

Name: Vademon 2* (Red Colored)
Level: Ultimate

Drops: Cursed Puppet

3 STR, 3 DEF, 2 SPR, 4 WIS, 5 SPD,
2 FIRE, 2 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 232, BIT: 460

Regular Attack: Thunder Element
Technique: Hold Beam (Prevent enemy from digivolving)

gently caress this guy because of that Thunder element and Freezing Digimon. (I'm still salty about BK KingNumemon.) The only other encounter in the area is Quetzalmon, so he'll be showing up a lot.

Guilmon: When can I get out? I think the exit is somewhere around here...

This Guilmon shows up when you first enter the Mobius Desert, so get used to seeing him every time you reset the area.

Monmon: I did it! The tower is just down the road!

And this Monmon is planted two south and two west from the entrance screen. As much as I think the game is terrible about its Circuit Board, I have to admit they did a good job here.

Yeah, it's strangely considerate.

Because Mirage Tower is one screen west from the Monmon. Fun fact: It took me two tries to reach Mirage Tower, since I got turned around thanks to a Vademon fight that took five times longer than it should have and went south one too many times.

What's this? A welcoming party? Do we have to kill them?

:black101: Default response!

Kite: What, a password? Um...
Kite proceeds to have no loving clue about any goddamn password.

Don't do this to me game. Don't make me loving backtrack AGAIN.

Kenny: Kite, it's me, Kenny!
Kite: Hey, Kenny! You're OK?
Kenny: Yeah! I was able to join the Resistance! This is now a base for the Resistance!
Kite: Wow, right on, Kenny!
Kenny: I know! Come and meet our leader! He might know something to help you. It's this way!

So, uh... Not gonna mention to your buddy that we're not evil? Just gonna let us... walk in?

I was expecting another tedious sidequest..and then Kenny recognizes you.

Okay, then. Hey, pal, you suck at being a guard.

Tamer Heinrich: It's boring to be on the look out. I want to fight them too!

He only has Caterpies on his team. Don't judge.

Click for music

Metal Gear this ain't. So what's the regular rabble have to say to us?

Resistance's Tina: We fight from this central location!

This is, by the way, literally as far west as we can get.

Tamer Murdock: Things are really getting out of hand... Worrying about it here won't make a difference. So, why don't we try a digimon battle for fun?

I'm starting to get an inkling of how the A.o.A was able to kick them out of their city.

How the hell can you be scrubbier than Team Rocket?

Tamer Takuya: You don't look that strong... Well, let's see how good you are in a battle.

H-Kabuterimon might be dangerous, if this were our first time encountering one, but we've already dealt with it before. That said, green Kuwagamon? Really? This late in the game?

...holy poo poo I'm turning into Giver. Oh god.

Yes! The Giver disease is starting to affect you! :moreevil: Give in to condescension and badassery, Yeti!

Guard Banch: Are you a spy of the A.o.A?!

Yes.

Might have been nice to think about that before letting me into your secret base.

Still a pretty area. Probably the best-looking area in all of West Sector, though this color palette is less terrible than the Asuka colors.

Courageous Kenny: He's really brave and everyone respects him!

Chuck.

This Game.

This guy's name is Chuck.

This game, yes.

It... it's really Chuck. I don't even know why this confuses me, it just does.

You're obviously supposed to chuck the game, DUH!

Leader Chuck: I've heard about it from Kenny. Good luck on defeating the A.o.A!
Kite: Yeah, good luck to you too!

Leader Chuck: All we can do is hold down the fort.
Kite: I'm all right. Don't worry about me!
Leader Chuck: I'm sorry you came all the way here. If we can get Amaterasu City back, I'm sure we can help. But I didn't think they would reprogram Knightmon.

Leader Chuck: Once it starts moving, the way to stop Knightmon is... you need the four Code Passes of the City Leaders. But all the Leaders are caught, so there's no way... City Chiefs of the A.o.A must have taken them...
Kite: ...I see. Those A.o.A!

I read that last line in the tone of 'those meddling kids and their dumb dog!'

I knew it! We must defeat all 8 Gym Leaders to get to Amaterasu! gently caress that, Yeti, try and beat Knightmon without it, :v:

Kite: I'll never forgive them for using DIgimon for evil!

Leader Chuck: If there's a chance, we'll make a stand. Just wait until then! Well, anyway. Good luck!
Kite: Yes, sir!

So. Kite, you're not gonna mention anything important? Like, about, say, the fact that you have two of the color passes, or that you're there on behalf of the International Whatever Police?

That would require Kite being smart enough to disclose that info. Yeti, pls.

Alright then. And these jerks still haven't moved out of the way. Nothing to do but head BACK to Asuka City and talk to Lisa and tell her all about how we couldn't get any help, then.

Being frustrated is no excuse for :bang: Yeti

I have a problem with randomly attacking trees, but I'm trying to kick the habit. :v:

Anyway, this is Orange Snimon. It's sure orange.

Regardless of all that, this stupid hole seems to be the fastest way between West Sector and Asuka Server. I don't have to worry about going through the Bug Maze or walking all the way back to South Sector.

To make things better, I can almost understand how to get between the places. I just have to take the first south exit I find and I'll wind up here.

Remember when we had to walk everywhere? Those were dark times. I still wish I got an airship, though. Don't all JRPGs have one of those?

That's Digi-cist.

We're back!

Keith: All of us will stop their plans!

And gently caress you too, game-Giver.

:allears: Zero confidence in Yeti.

Nick: Don't give up and let's fight!

Yes we did! Only we didn't tell them anything important or relevent after finding them, so we came back here. By the way, they have no idea you exist.

Kite: Yes. I met up with the people of the Resistance!
Lisa: Good job! You're great Kite!
[sic]
Kite: But to get into Amaterasu City, we need the four Code Passes to stop Knightmon.
Keith: Code Pass? ...what's that?!

I hate you, Kite.

Amazing.

Kite: ...ID pass with colors? Then these Red ID and Blue ID?

I HATE YOU, KITE.

AMAZING.

Lisa: Yeah, that's it! Why do you have it?
Kite: The A.o.A City Chief I defeated had them!
Nick: Then if you get the other two, we can beat Knightmon!
Keith: Yeah! Then the other City Chief must have it as well!

Kite: Oh, but wait! We gotta do something about Bai Hu City... The security there is really tight!
Lisa: Oh, really? ...Hmmm... What to do...

Lisa: I know! We can get the Resistance to help us! They're in the Mirage Tower, right?
Kite: Ye-yes!
Lisa: OK, I'll go ask them. Keith, let's go. Nick, you stay here!

Kite: OK, then I'll go back to Bai Hu again!
Teddy: Good luck, Kite!
Kite: Yeah, leave it to me!

So, let's just sum up what happened here, shall we?

First, we went to Amaterasu, West Sector on the slight chance that there might be a Resistance group somewhere that we could fight, on the off chance that they might be able to help us get to the president in Amaterasu City.

Then, once we found them, we chatted to the leader (who's named Chuck, by the way, a good Japanese name) and didn't tell him about our own resistance group, or the fact that we'd taken out two of the City Chiefs and picked up ID Passes they dropped, even after he specifically told us that the City Chiefs had the ID Passes we needed to stop Knightmon.

After that, we returned to Asuka Server and talked to Lisa - wherein she proceeded to tell us that hey, we have the ID Passes needed to stop Knightmon! And that maybe we should work with the Resistance to stop A.o.A! The stuff we should have told the Resistance to begin with.

Here's a good way to get around this bullshit while keeping the exact same amount of backtracking: when talking to Chuck, work on a plan that requires both the Resistance and the Police to distract the A.o.A troopers blocking the entrance to Bai Hu City. Then, Kite heads back, tells Lisa what we learned (i.e. there's a Resistance, we need to get into Bai Hu City to get the third of the Color Passes that we need to stop Knightmon, and that Lisa and Keith need to help make a distraction.) Then we head back. Boom, no idiotic protagonist and you still have to backtrack to pad out gameplay.

I think I used to like this game, once upon a time.

And, unlike Kite, you got more critical. And played better games. I mean, before the backtracking was just silly. I.e., get item to make a fat Digimon move out the way. But now that the plot is kicking in, it's just stupid. Kinda lost some of its charm.

Well, that's irrelevant. I suddenly realized, a few updates back, that I'd done something terrible.

Mr. :smith: : Ronin Helmet, admired by all members!

I'd missed auctions.

That's it! Abandon the LP!

So, the auctions we missed, and their time-tables:

1) Ronin Blade
Legendary samurai sword.
Time of Auction: After talking to Patamon at Suzaku City and after the earthquake.
Cost of Auction: 4,000

2) Sniper Goggle
Legendary sniping goggles.
Time of Auction: Defeat the Qing Long Chief
Cost of Auction: 6,000

3) Divine Crown
Crown with a divine light.
Time of Auction: Once you have gotten the Digi-Egg of Knowledge.
Cost of Auction: 6,000

4) Brave Helmet
Engraved with crest of courage.
Time of Auction: After you have defeated the Genbu leader.
Cost of Auction: 8,700

By the way, yes, that means that the Ronin Blade is only available in that brief moment after you've talked to Patamon and triggered the earthquake, but before you've fought Bulbmon. I got distracted by doing plot-relevant things and made the mistake of not doing extra backtracking. (I'm horrible, I know.)

Don't worry, all of these items are obtainable later, it's just that they'll each cost more than what all of them cost put together if we got them at the option. Well, I have the money to burn.

I mean...there's no real reason to go back to the Auction to check things. When the plot gets rolling, the player wants to get right in and check it out, not go back to a location we don't know contains anything new.

Starting to get pricey.

A brief stop at the Digi-Lab to Load some Techs and then a trip through the Circuit Board later, and we're at Bai Hu City's entrance. Good news: whatever the gently caress Lisa and Chuck have done, they've distracted the guards.

It's also empty in town, too. All of the A.o.A troops must be out in Mobius Desert, getting lost.

Quick upgrade, even though we just had one in Mirage Tower. My funds are starting to get a little damaged, though I still have over 100K BITs and am getting more every fight. Things are starting to get expensive - 22K per weapon, on average.

Renamon: I'm just going to quietly watch the fight between humans.

Did this Renamon miss how the A.o.A is literally enslaving Digimon? This line in particular, by the way, is the best hint that the 'game' we thought we were playing really is just an access port to the Digital World, with some MAGAMI stuff hooked up and co-opting pre-existing towns for their own use.

Someone brought this up in the thread as the premise for this game. I've been under the assumption that this was an MMO of sorts. Because, y'know, the game basically said that in the first update. So, if going by this dialogue, that means that it's just a Digital World some asshats took advanatge of and made a game out of it.

Now, this fixes some issues I've had with the story, but now it just adds a few more because

A) Something like this could have been a cool reveal, instead we get humans in Digimon suits;

B) Could have gone towards developing Kite as a character, whereby he drops a small bit of his happy self to ensure the safety of all Digimon. Imagine more quips from Kite about the A.o.A.;

C) Might have helped some of the more casual fans get intrigued in the lore, thereby increasing sales;

D) Have to go back and remember each point of stupidity -- like Vemmon -- and kinda rationalize it with a new premise. Now the plot is structured in such a way that it needs to be seen again;

Ugh.

Wait, what? There are A.o.A troopers here? WHY aren't they trying to stop us?

Trooper South: I didn't think taking over the server would go this well! The Real World will be ours in no time.
Trooper West: I wanted to go suppress the Resistance too! But it's my job to guard here!
Trooper North: The A.o.A will win! And the world will be ours!
Trooper East: We are guarding this area. If the Resistance comes, we'll capture them!

Yeah, you're doing a great job guarding the area, pal. :bravo:

The combination of Kite's pose and Yeti's commentary is almost perfect. I admit, I laughed.

Idiot Troopers aside, we need to fight the Chief, and here he is.

Bai Hu Chief: That's right... What do you want?
Kite: Give me the White ID Pass that you have!
Bai Hu Chief: I see. Heh heh heh! No matter what you do, victory will be ours! Now it's time to learn your lesson!

Oh poo poo! That's two good pre-fight lines in a row. It's sad that it qualifies as a record.

Hooray, a boss!

Fight time!

The first matchup we're going with is Renamon vs. Rockmon. Ideally, I'd have some Water techs, but Rockmon's defenses are high enough that my two physical attackers really aren't that useful. Snowstorm spam it is, then.

Also, because the Chief switches Digimon once Rockmon hits low health, I took advantage of that and got a Mega Strength off in the fight.

Second fight: Veemon vs. Gryphonmon. Veemon's got good enough Wind Resistance to tank the Sylph Storm blows, and he's fast so most regular attacks are just blocked.

Final fight: Monmon vs. Ebidramon (pink). We've already seen the full bio for this shrimp recolor, since it's what we'll fish up if we fish in Central Park. More importantly, Cannondramon learned Fish Buster so :rip: shrimp.

Kite: huh?[sic] Is this...? Yeah! I got the White ID Pass! One left to go. Let's hurry!

Good news: we don't have to talk to anybody else. Just go straight for... Xuan Wu? City. I think that's the Chinese name for it, at least. The Chief there will have the Black ID Pass, and then we can go take care of Knightmon.

I don't foresee ANY detours in the path ahead. None at all.

Of course not.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 20, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How long is this game? No wonder there wasn't a finished LP of it before if there's this much backtracking and the plot is STILL not over yet. :psyduck:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The use of HeracleKabuterimon there instead of GranKuwagamon is kind of weird considering Takuya seems to want to have the entire Kuwagamon line, but I'm guessing that it's because GranKuwagamon isn't in this game to begin with. If so, H-Kabuterimon is actually a pretty good choice, being a Digimon born from using Kabuterimon and Kuwagamon-species data in the first place.
Also you called his green Kuwagamon a Kabuterimon and you're right about Xuan Wu.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

The use of HeracleKabuterimon there instead of GranKuwagamon is kind of weird considering Takuya seems to want to have the entire Kuwagamon line, but I'm guessing that it's because GranKuwagamon isn't in this game to begin with. If so, H-Kabuterimon is actually a pretty good choice, being a Digimon born from using Kabuterimon and Kuwagamon-species data in the first place.

Which is itself kinda weird since the species was introduced in 2000 and this game was made in 2002 so it's not like the species didn't exist at the time of game's production.

And it should come as no surprise that HerculesKabuterimon and GranKuwagamon are rivals which has been true of the lines in general since the beginning.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also you called his green Kuwagamon a Kabuterimon and you're right about Xuan Wu.

GranKuwagamon exists, but only on our side (it's Kabuterimon's evo).

Yup, Kabuterimon's an Ultimate here, evolves from Stingmon, and into GranKuwagamon. Don't question it too hard.

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."

GeneralYeti posted:

Someone brought this up in the thread as the premise for this game. I've been under the assumption that this was an MMO of sorts. Because, y'know, the game basically said that in the first update. So, if going by this dialogue, that means that it's just a Digital World some asshats took advanatge of and made a game out of it.

Now, this fixes some issues I've had with the story, but now it just adds a few more because

A) Something like this could have been a cool reveal, instead we get humans in Digimon suits;

B) Could have gone towards developing Kite as a character, whereby he drops a small bit of his happy self to ensure the safety of all Digimon. Imagine more quips from Kite about the A.o.A.;

C) Might have helped some of the more casual fans get intrigued in the lore, thereby increasing sales;

D) Have to go back and remember each point of stupidity -- like Vemmon -- and kinda rationalize it with a new premise. Now the plot is structured in such a way that it needs to be seen again;

Ugh.

It's worth noting that they revisit this concept in the manga Digimon NEXT with a new, slightly less awful cast and implement it in much the way you're suggesting. They reveal the game to be a veneer on top of a digital dimension early on and actually explore a difference in game perceptions versus how a more naturally constructed world works.

Arguably they somewhat reuse the game turns real concept again in the games Re: Digitize and Cyber Sleuth but the manga pretty much lifts the VR pod setup almost wholesale from DMW3.

So basically... at least they learned their lesson?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Actually cyber sleuth has a very similar twist on the same exact scenario but digimon are seen differently.

Grankuwagamon is in the game and the best way to put this is that veemon has the easiest time unlocking him but its still 3 bitches and a half.

An added note, digimon levels n stats are important but even at 999 in a stat. harder to obtain digivolutions will be stronger. (not hard for that digimon, but hard as in how many pre-evos it requires)

one from the intro requires a poo poo ton as well.

But Grankuwagamon stands out, and is a requirement for ANOTHER digimon.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 21, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Actually Renamon has the easiest time.

GranKuwagamon needs Imperialdramon L40, Kabuterimon L40. Kabuterimon's unlocked from Stingmon, which both Renamon and Veemon get early on. However, Renamon just needs to go Taomon > Exveemon > Paildramon > Imperialdramon, so if you really push for it you can probably get it around the mid 30s. Veemon doesn't unlock Imperialdramon til he's L40.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I am fully justified from this LP in my love of Digimon World 2. I also say that game had the better twist, which is technically the opposite twist of this game. That rather than the MMO actually turning out to be legit, but the world you thought was real was actually just an MMO/research test bed/it's not quite clear?

It aint perfect, but it's better than World 3.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Onmi posted:

I am fully justified from this LP in my love of Digimon World 2. I also say that game had the better twist, which is technically the opposite twist of this game. That rather than the MMO actually turning out to be legit, but the world you thought was real was actually just an MMO/research test bed/it's not quite clear?

It aint perfect, but it's better than World 3.

I've been rereading the LP of that on the Archive. That game is a bit of a hot mess (that doesn't come all the way through in just screen shots). Though, THIS game is on the level of poo poo like Superman 64, or Jurassic Park: Trespasser. Less in the 'obvious Alpha' way and more in the, 'what the gently caress were they THINKING?' way, which is arguably worse. The formers you could argue could've been good games if they were finished. This... this is just completely inexcusable.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SkyTalon2314 posted:

I've been rereading the LP of that on the Archive. That game is a bit of a hot mess (that doesn't come all the way through in just screen shots). Though, THIS game is on the level of poo poo like Superman 64, or Jurassic Park: Trespasser. Less in the 'obvious Alpha' way and more in the, 'what the gently caress were they THINKING?' way, which is arguably worse. The formers you could argue could've been good games if they were finished. This... this is just completely inexcusable.

Like... World 2 to me was an interesting "How about a Dungeon Crawler Digimon game?" and for the most part it kinda pulls it off. Don't get me wrong. Young me had no idea square called the item list to give gifts. That process in general is bullshitty. You have nowhere near enough EN or Bits, and the DNA evolution gets grindy as hell. Also the Bugs and Traps being painful since you need to buy Ammunition and some dungeon layouts become impenetrable, due to it.

But all that said, those are things that can easily be fixed by an in-game tutorial, locking proper rules and mechanics for Digimon recruitment, increasing EN for engines and Bits for buying stuff and then putting in curved EXP growth. Making Ammo and Bugzapper stored separate to the inventory and from there, with the increased Bits, buying upgrades no longer becomes a hellish task.

Like you said, it's an obvious Alpha... and then they never made the full game. But on principle, I find it far better because the game, at all points, makes it loving CLEAR where you're supposed to go, by lightning up the dungeons you're meant to go into. Having the Guard Tamers to flat out say "Go do this"

I can't remember any point in which they say "Welp, nothing for it." I think there's one dungeon on File Island that says "You need upgraded sensors to see in here.' but getting said Sensors I remember being part of natural progression.

I would love to see an updated sequel for it. More than another monster-raiser.

EDIT: Oh, and if I have a maxed out Bug Sweeper/Mine Sweeper, I should loving be able to see them all. If you're going to have a "Return Bug" which sends your Digimon back to the city and permanently alter your Party. I should not have to hope it's not there when I have a maxed sensor.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 22, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
DW2 still had a good soundtrack. And nearly every attack had its own voiced line, which was cute (even if they didn't adjust it so that the voice would change on different Digimon).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord that auction timing. They weren't seriously expecting you to hoof it back all that time?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
They weren't seriously expecting you to...? - Let's Play Digimon World 3

I know Digimon games vary wildly in quality, but do any of them manage to be more unfun than this? Even DW1 had the weirdness charm factor going for it despite the poorly explained everything.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Haifisch posted:

They weren't seriously expecting you to...? - Let's Play Digimon World 3

I know Digimon games vary wildly in quality, but do any of them manage to be more unfun than this? Even DW1 had the weirdness charm factor going for it despite the poorly explained everything.

Digimon World 4 is a lot worse than this. At least DW3 is still clearly a Digimon game, DW4 feels like it was a completely unrelated (and terrible) game that they retextured into a Digimon game to sell.

Also the DS games have always felt weaker to me, like they completely lack charm. DW3 is genuinely not that terrible so long as you have a way to skip grinding, it is still bad RPG, but it's playable enough that kid me beat it, no other World game can say the same.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Digimon World 4 is a lot worse than this.

I'm inclined to believe you given that I've never even heard of it before nor has it ever come up when I've Google searched Digimon World.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm inclined to believe you given that I've never even heard of it before nor has it ever come up when I've Google searched Digimon World.

I have a (very crappy!) LP of Digimon World 4 on the LP archive, actually. Go ahead and check it out, but it was my first LP ever and it's horrible in pretty much every way. I've been meaning to redo it, but that would mean I need to A) get the equipment to LP it, and B) find three people dumb enough to LP it with me.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Blaze Dragon posted:

Digimon World 4 is a lot worse than this. At least DW3 is still clearly a Digimon game, DW4 feels like it was a completely unrelated (and terrible) game that they retextured into a Digimon game to sell.

Also the DS games have always felt weaker to me, like they completely lack charm. DW3 is genuinely not that terrible so long as you have a way to skip grinding, it is still bad RPG, but it's playable enough that kid me beat it, no other World game can say the same.

Absolutely agree 100%. (Kid me never beat it but put in 200 hours or so, but a lot of that was probably AFK time), though what I theorize happened with dw4 is that it started as a sequel or something to dw3, then the X-Evolution stuff got frontlined and everything else got scrubbed away, based on some throwaway npc lines in both games. It is by far a worse game than DW3 though in pretty much all respects, including loading times. Even so, it is still a much better game than All-star battle. :v:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Digimon World 4 is flawed but I consider this one worst by merit of DW4 at least having a competent localization which this game doesn't, the most glaring gently caress up being the usage of the name "Kumamon" for Bearmon as I've touch on in my first post in this very thread, and the fact that I actually enjoyed playing it for all its flaws.

Digimon All-Star Rumble had the benefit of being a spin-off so the bar was already going to be low.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

GeneralYeti posted:

I have a (very crappy!) LP of Digimon World 4 on the LP archive, actually. Go ahead and check it out, but it was my first LP ever and it's horrible in pretty much every way. I've been meaning to redo it, but that would mean I need to A) get the equipment to LP it, and B) find three people dumb enough to LP it with me.

I'd be willing to suffer help with that.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

Kemix posted:

I'd be willing to suffer help with that.

From what I remember, unless they upgraded the PS2 emulation software to syncronize the RNG, then doing it online is nearly impossible, if not completely.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

I'll be sure to give it a look!

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Update 23: Just Get It Done

Well, folks, we're almost there. We've earned three of the four Color Passes, and all that's left is the North Sector's pass.

Click for music that plays the entire update unless notified otherwise

Before we do that, though, we have some unfinished business to take care of. Per Giver's request, I used some cheats to boost my stats to max. All three Digimon have 9999 HP/MP, and 999 in every stat.

THE REMATCH OF THE CENTURY.

Let's do the impossible.

:suspense:

... :flaccid:

Unfortunately, the game has it set up so that Knightmon will take literally zero damage from every single attack. Not even Counter Crest lets me get around that, as you can see from the video.

...Ah, well, it was worth a shot. drat these programmers covering all their bases :argh:!

Enough of that foolishness, I just stopped by to check if the Knightmon really were unkillable, and, yeah. Even with a glitch, Knightmon can't die. Let's just... go.

Boo! BOOOO!

Oh, right, before we go, since we haven't gone over the encounters in Plug Cape: Arukenimon, Ebidramon (Pink) through fishing, Megaseadramon (Blue), and Snimon. No new Digimon to fight, thus proving this update's title a lie. I wish it were a lie.

Back into the Circuit Board I go...

We will make one very important stop, through the Kicking Forest exit. (Also, the second Circuit Board run went a lot smoother this time? I don't know what it was, but I can actually kinda find my way around this particular Board.)

Namely, this. This is important because it gives us access to Super Training wherever we are; every gym will now let us train as though we were standing at the Asuka Server's Legendary Gym, which will make grinding in the future much faster.

Gold Ticket --> Gold ID

Seriously, I don't know what it was, but I didn't get lost once on my way here. It's super strange.

Maybe your brain has adapted to the stupid.

And, verdict says, I don't like this palatte swap. And you were doing so well in West Sector, game. Come on.

And, now here comes the first list of new encounters. Hoo boy.

Name: BlueMeramon

Drops: MP Mega Proxy

2 STR, 4 DEF, 5 SPR, 4 WIS, 3 SPD,
3 FIRE, 1 WATER, 3 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 243, BIT: 480

Regular Attack: Fire Element
Technique: Flame Sphere (Magic-Fire)

Name: Shadramon

3 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 3 SPD,
3 FIRE, 1 WATER, 3 ICE, 1 WIND, 3 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 3 DARK

EXP: 235, BIT: 440

Regular Attack: Fire Element

There's also Orange Snimon that you can fight, should you get lucky when kicking trees. Fighting these ones, Water's your best bet since they're both weak to it. Shadramon, you can probably just kill with whatever; when fighting BlueMeramon, though, it's best to have something that can resist Magic Techs.

Huh, looking back, that's fewer new enemies than I remember. There is a non-zero chance I may have been drunk while recording the footage for this.

Somehow, Drunk Yeti finds it easier to navigate Circuit Boards. SECRET SKILL!

Clearly, this means I need to get smashed before I LP.

Trooper: You're suspicious. Let's Card Battle to see who you are!

Sadly, Trooper here won't fight us. That's actually true of every Trooper in the North Sector; they're all 'Card Battle' this and 'duel' that. Ugh, makes my stomach turn.

Um, you see, these guys just want to be your friends, Yeti. That way, we can recover the seven Millennium Digi-Eggs and unlock the greatest power of all: Knightmon

If we jump back down from the west exit side (remember, go back and read the relevant Asuka updates if you don't remember the layout of this place) we'll find a Super Charge.

Trooper: Hey, you wanna Card Battle?

If it's any consolation, I hate your job too. Also gently caress off with your Card Battles, that poo poo is for the postgame.

Oh, THAT's when you planned to do it. And wow, new Trooper dialogue!

Eh, I like Asuka's colors better.

In-game model:

Name: Mammothmon 2* (White Colored)
Location: Amaterasu North - Freeze Mountain, Snow Mountain, Lake of Ice

4 STR, 3 DEF, 4 SPR, 3 WIS, 2 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 3 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 1 DARK

EXP: 236, BIT: 460

Technique: Ice Shower (Magic-Ice)

Name: Vikemon
Level: Mega

5 STR, 2 DEF, 5 SPR, 2 WIS, 3 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 3 ICE, 3 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 1 DARK

EXP: 236, BIT: 460

Regular Attack: Ice Element

This is the real Vikemon, the one that matches the official art. Anyway, Mammothmon can be taken down by anything, though obviously Fire and Darkness works best. Vikemon is a lot less threatening than in Asuka's Ice Dungeon, since he can't Counter, but that 5 Str isn't something to ignore. He hits like a truck.

No. Go away.

Hey Yeti, wanna Card Battle?

With the red tint over everything, this place gives me a 'Christmas in Hell' sort of vibe. Also, every encounter in Freeze Mountain is the same as the one in Snow Mountain (the screen before this) so no new people here.

No. Go away.

Still, I don't know if these were in the Asuka Server area or not, but I like the rainbow-colored shards of ice on the ground. They're certainly more noticeable, with how dreary everything else is.

Hey Yeti, wa- aww.

Welcome to the Battle Gate. We have someone waiting for us on the other side.

Soldier: Go see the Chief now. He wants to battle with you one on one!

Hey, if the A.o.A is going to be stupid enough to let me into their base for a one-on-one fight with the last person we need to beat to completely trash their stupid plan, I'm game.

Lord only knows why they don't just dospile you, but okay.

Xuan Wu City status: Pigged out.

They should call this scandal the Bae of Pigs.

I didn't get the chance earlier, but once Gallantmon hit level 40 I could switch out for Sakuyamon, Renamon's natural Mega form.

No. Go away.

This is his only line, because... I don't know why. The design decisions of this game are baffling.

Yeah, the game looks more rushed towards the end, doesn't it?

Agumon: We got captured and they've been working us hard!

Veemon: I'd digivolve into Veedramon and defeat them all.

I feel like a Champion-level Digivolution wouldn't really do much.

The chest in here has a Kulon Shield, something that I don't really need. It's weird; I'm convinced that they went through every possible NPC in Asuka, copied them over to Amaterasu, and then just occasionally changed a few to Oinkmon and a few to A.o.A Troopers. To play devil's advocate, you could say that it suggests that this really is an MMO, down to the identical NPC placement.

But, in the end, it's largely irrelevant, because we have a Chief to beat and violence can make the most knotted of problems, well, not.

Oh yeah, his name is 'Xuen Wu Chief', even though the city is called 'Xuan Wu'. :shrug:

Xuen Wu Chief: I should have known from the defeat of the others!
Kite: Xuen Wu Chief! You have the Black ID Pass!
Xuen Wu Chief: Yes I do! Do you want it? Then fight with me! And take it from my hand!
Kite: You betcha! I'm going to do just that!

Yes, fighting someone who has defeated your three collegues. That is a good idea and will surely work out for you in the end, Xuen Wu Chief.

He has...honor?

The final Chief fight is here!

First up, Sakuyamon vs. Boltmon. I've chosen this matchup for two reasons: one, because Boltmon is incredibly weak to both Magic and Lightning Techs, something that Sakuyamon is good at; and two, because the other members of Xuen Wu Chief's team just aren't very conducive to Magic techs, and Sakuyamon still has no Strength.

I get lucky with a crit right off the bat, so I take the chance to pop a Mega Strength off before taking down Boltmon.

This leads to the second fight, MetalGarurumon vs. SkullMammothmon (Or, as I like to think of it, BackflipWolf vs. Sue the Dinosaur). Nothing special about this one, since MetalGarurumon doesn't have any Techs; it's just a beatdown. SkullMammothmon hits hard, but is slow as dicks. The Mega Strength helps with the defenses, but just speeds things up in the end.

Finally, Puppetmon, Xuen Wu Chief's signature Digimon. And, since it only appears here, have a bio!

Oh, that's pretty unique.
Name: Puppetmon

5 STR, 2 DEF, 4 SPR, 4 WIS, 3 SPD,
1 FIRE, 2 WATER, 3 ICE, 2 WIND, 2 THUNDER, 3 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 273, BIT: 520

Regular Attack: Machine Element

The final fight is Cannondramon vs. Puppetmon. One, because Cannondramon is the only one with full health; two, because Puppetmon's attacks are Machine element, and Cannondramon has pretty good Defenses against that; and finally, because I don't have any Fire Techs so gently caress it why not.

Honestly, I got lucky with this fight. Puppetmon hits like a truck, and the reason I beat him is because I have 900+ speed on Monmon, which gave me two attacks for each of Puppetmon's. If Cannondramon had fallen, I probably would have swapped out to Renamon in WarGrowlmon's form, to take advantage of Atomic Blaster, but it would have been a really close fight.

...Or, that's what I would have said, had I not somehow got ANOTHER crit against Puppetmon, killing it before it could attack more than once. Um.

I demand a do-over.

Kite: And I've got the Black ID Pass as well... So all that's left is Amaterasu City! Let's go!

I'm tempted to go and figure out what would happen if I ignored the Bai Hu City until after heading North. I'd probably get walled by some arbitrary plot device, like Troopers not letting me into Xuan Wu City.

On the way down, I stopped into the Inn to get a rest. Also, because I wanted to see if anything was different besides the admittedly nice green lighting. Mainly, I just noticed the bear couch and :3:

This guy is right by the bottom of Snow Mountain, on the down direction. No interest in fighting him, since, well, Card Battle.

Before we head back to Amaterasu, though, we have a few things to take care of. First! Kulon Mine has new encounters, though there aren't any NPCs to talk to.

Name: Boltmon

Drops: :siren: Power Brace :siren:

5 STR, 3 DEF, 4 SPR, 1 WIS, 3 SPD,
3 FIRE, 1 WATER, 3 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 3 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 243, BIT: 500

Regular Attack: Thunder Element; Counter (Physical)

In-game model:

Name: Maildramon 2* (Black Colored)

Drops: Bolt Power S

3 STR, 4 DEF, 4 SPR, 3 WIS, 3 SPD,
3 FIRE, 1 WATER, 3 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 3 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 242, BIT: 480

Technique: Electro Bolt (Magic-Thunder)

So, uh, yeah, Boltmon has the Power Brace which ups my training probability of success to, roughly, YES. I got one, no matter how long it took for me to grind it out.

And there's also Maildramon or something but w/e.

We'll be back here next update, to handle Kulon Pit and the Dungeons, but for now we have a more pressing matter.

That being a new enemy, of course :rolleyes:

In-game model:

Name: Whamon 2* (White Colored)
Level: Champion/Ultimate

Fishing: Amaterasu City - Various

Drops: HP Mega Proxy

3 STR, 3 DEF, 3 SPR, 3 WIS, 3 SPD,
3 FIRE, 3 WATER, 2 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 235, BIT: 420

Technique: Grand Wave (Magic-Water)

Hey, we're just rolling in drops today! I've been making a point of using the HP Proxies as accessories on all three my Digimon, so this is a nice upgrade. Not much, of course, but it's still a boost to their survivability, Renamon especially. Anyway, Whamon is the only enemy we'll encounter here, so... at least it's not hard?

Are there like no water Digimon or something? Why do all the Seabeds have only one encounter?

In Amaterasu, there's only three different Seabed Digimon, and each Seabed only has one of them. Asuka has a little bit more variety, though it's still only five or six of them.

Free stuff. Never a bad thing.

Anyway, back in the Lake of Ice, the only encounters here are Mammothmon (in the field), Antylamon (if you kick), and one VERY special friend.

WHO IS THE FRIEND?? IS IT MR.FUZZUMS?

It's not the Cardmon in the area, although it does look pretty neat.

It's this guy. Black Scorpiomon.

In-game model:
Name: Scorpiomon 2* (Black Colored)

Fishing: Amaterasu North - Lake of Ice

Drops: Train Chip 5

3 STR, 3 DEF, 4 SPR, 4 WIS, 4 SPD,
3 FIRE, 3 WATER, 3 ICE, 2 WIND, 1 THUNDER, 2 MACHINE, 2 DARK

EXP: 272, BIT: 510

Technique: Titanic Wave (Magic-Water)

Note: Can Run Away

:tviv:

So, reasons why Black Scorpiomon is the best enemy in the game for grinding? It'll always give 10 DV EXP up until the rookie is level 70, at which point it starts giving 9 DV EXP. It's really not all that tough, going down in four attacks from pretty much any Digimon. And it (albeit rarely) drops Train Chip V.

Which gives 5 free TP.

I might have grinded out 12 TP 5 chips for my Digimon.

I'm gonna abstain from a pic because...GRINDING ENEMY. GRIND GRIND GRIND UNTIL YOU'RE 999

That is, of course, because we have access to the Legendary Gym in Amaterasu Server right now.

Magnamon: It's the hardest in Digimon Online, but do you want to do it?

Sign me up.

The Legendary Gym here (ignore the 10 TP, this was taken before I grinded the TP Chips) offers Super training in everything except Dark Tolerance, for some strange reason. Still, no reason to say no; I spent most of my TP getting Veemon and Monmon better Speed and Spirit, while Renamon got all of her points dumped into Defense.

A TP Chip 3 in the chest is a nice reward for having to sit through about ten Whamon in three screens. Not nearly enough, mind you, but it's nice.

I'm cutting the update here, even though it's short. Mainly because Giver's jokes suck as is, and if we went down into the three Dungeons he'd have to think of more bad jokes for the new Digimon write-ups.

No complaints from me. It means less work. :allears:

Next time, we'll take care of the last few sidequests that I'm not putting off until the postgame.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Zero context vote time!

1) Agumon, Guilmon, or Veemon?
2) Patamon or Renamon?

Choose one of each, please.

Edit: Voting will be open until a clear winner is determined, I get bored, or noon on Friday, EST. Whichever occurs first.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 3, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Guilmon, Renamon. Tamers is the best series.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Guilmon, Renamon. Tamers is the best series.

This.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Agumon, Renamon becuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GawainStark
Apr 9, 2016
Agumon and Renamon because Guilmon is pretty meh in this game and you deserve some respite Yeti.

• Locked thread