Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Looking at grabbing Final Fantasy VIII, IX, and the X / X-2 HD remasters but I've heard certain Final Fantasy releases on Steam (mainly the SNES versions and VII) should be avoided and instead emulated. Anyone able to vouch for the quality of 8 through 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Jedit posted:

And this is going to be an unpopular opinion I know, but cut Darkest Dungeon. For my money there are much better games in the same vein to spend your time on.

Such as? Just interested in recommendations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know they have absolutely nothing to do with each other, but if you guys had the budget to choose one between Hitman, DOOM or Fallout 4, which one would it be? I'm a fan of the three franchises.

DOOM. It's basically flawless.

Please don't get Fallout 4. If I can convince you not to, it might undo the evil of my buying it in the first place.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you're a fighting game casual, I wouldn't really recommend Street Fighter V. There's basically no single player content. The mechanics of SFV are also pretty specific and you need to be pretty specific with timing and button pushes, so you can't really button-mash your way to victory. That makes it a good fighting game, but with the lack of single player content, there's no real easy way to learn the mechanics of the game.

Also, if you're in Australia, good luck finding a match.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Krazyface posted:

too orange

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Ugh Origin is such poo poo. They discount their games but not the DLC. And they use that point based currency too, drat.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Krazyface posted:

I would, but I'm kinda worried it's nowehere near as replayable as the other two.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mystic Stylez posted:

I would, but I'm kinda worried it's nowehere near as replayable as the other two.

Fair enough. I'm at the point where I'm suspicious of replayability, because that's less time I can spend on the rest of my backlog.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I only have Doom from the 3 but while I loved it - you can probably get the most mileage from Hitman. It's both good and offers a variety of possible playthroughs.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Finally bit the bullet on Subnautica and it turns out, I don't like it! First purchase and refund of this sale.

I played for an hour and looked up a few videos on useful tips for new players, and I guess I've just grown out of love for survival games. Collecting parts to make subparts to make gear and also having to cook food. One video told me that if you eat too much of one type of food it's bad for you? No thanks I'll try something else.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
DOOM is lots of fun. The mechanics are nicely designed to encourage an aggressive run and gun (and punch) play style. My main gripe was that on a lot of levels you can't backtrack all the way to the beginning, which is annoying in a game with lots of hidden secrets. Play it on Hard difficulty though, otherwise it'll become too much of a cakewalk once you've got a bunch of upgrades.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If you are one of the 4 people (Not including myself) who has Witcher 3 on GoG but doesn't have the expansions, they are selling the expansion pass for $15 as a part of their year end sale.

I have been wanting to get back into that game. Was considering getting the GotY edition on steam for the expansions before seeing that.

A question though: I am still trying to decide if I want to restart my game or not, but how do the expansions work? Do you start them from the main menu, or are they integrated into the campaign, somehow (No spoilers, plz)

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Integrated with the main game (not separate launch, etc), recommended to do them after beating the main campaign.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

Awesome! posted:

i am just hesitant to get d:os because it was clearly made with co-op in mind and i dont know how interested i am in "arguing" with an npc

...You want to play a cRPG and don't want to engage in dialogue with NPCs?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

theres a difference between reading npc dialog and talking to yourself in parts that were clearly made to be played with 2 people. at least in my mind.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Awesome! posted:

theres a difference between reading npc dialog and talking to yourself in parts that were clearly made to be played with 2 people. at least in my mind.

I think they have AI personalities for the player NPCs if you don't want to roleplay against yourself.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

fenrif posted:

...You want to play a cRPG and don't want to engage in dialogue with NPCs?

Not what he meant. There are two main characters you play as and they argue against each other. In co-op this is a silly mechanic. In singleplayer this is weird.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

Awesome! posted:

Yeah there is a difference. But "arguing with an NPC" isn't talking to yourself.

I played the entire game solo and didn't have a problem. The game doesn't require two people. It works perfectly fine in singleplayer. You don't have to talk to yourself but you will have to argue with NPCs. Like in every cRPG.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Big thanks to Bumpy Johnson for Grim Dawn. Now I'll be finally able to see if it's better than Diablo 3 :getin:.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Returned Vermintide. Didn't realize it was crappy L4D:Warhammer Edition.

I mean I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong for not liking something but I can guarantee you that you didn't even scratch the surface of the melee system's depth.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I mean I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong for not liking something but I can guarantee you that you didn't even scratch the surface of the melee system's depth.

It had a solid weapon feel to it. What is it that gives it enough depth that compels you to say that? Just curious what you like about it. It was within my two hour window so I'm not even going to pretend I scratched the surface of any aspect of the game.

I guess the blatant theft of mechanics that I wasn't prepared for kind of killed it for me.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unlucky7 posted:

If you are one of the 4 people (Not including myself) who has Witcher 3 on GoG but doesn't have the expansions, they are selling the expansion pass for $15 as a part of their year end sale.

Thanks for the heads up!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

It had a solid weapon feel to it. What is it that gives it enough depth that compels you to say that? Just curious what you like about it. It was within my two hour window so I'm not even going to pretend I scratched the surface of any aspect of the game.

I guess the blatant theft of mechanics that I wasn't prepared for kind of killed it for me.

There's just a lot involved in how the weapon patterns work, the difference on charged attack patterns, and the stamina system allowing for blocking and shoving. It gets really important against Stormvermin (the armored rats that hit like trucks), large hordes, and the Rat Ogre. There's people that can run the game on the hardest difficulty with garbage tier beginner weapons and no trinkets.

Like my favorite character and loadout is the Dwarf with the Axe/Shield combo. Against Stormvermin, I go for shield bashes (charged attacks) when I can get in free strikes and follow up the stagger with ordinary strikes to the head while they're staggered. Depending on difficulty, I might have to then put up block, shove them away and dodge to the side to make sure I don't catch an overhead strike. Put me in a team of beginners against a Rat Ogre and there's a pretty strong chance they'll be dying on the ground by the end of the fight and I won't have been hit.

I don't mean that to pretend to be hot poo poo or anything. Just using it as an example that the melee system really gives back to those who learn it. But it's not super apparent right away because you can cruise through Easy and Normal difficulties just kind of waving a sword at roughly head height and being forgiven for mistakes by the absolute deluge of health items the director throws at you.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thank you Kragger for Street Fighter V. :toot:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Steam people, did you guys get the Witcher 3 GotY edition for having the base game plus expansions? I did on GoG, and I thought it was a nice gesture.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Looking at grabbing Final Fantasy VIII, IX, and the X / X-2 HD remasters but I've heard certain Final Fantasy releases on Steam (mainly the SNES versions and VII) should be avoided and instead emulated. Anyone able to vouch for the quality of 8 through 10?

All of those work great on pc, I never had problems with VII either. The Xx-2 remasters run great too, they look really good.

The pre psx games are the ones to avoid, 3 especially. 6 is just ugly as all sin.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone want to trade a copy of Cities: Skylines for something off my wish list? I picked it up last sale to gift it, but the idiot IRL friend it was for bought it on their own.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, where's the lump of coal meta-game, where's the exploitable raffle ticket system or the deluge of trading cards and the clusterfuck of hourly flash deals? It used to be a grotesque nightmare circus of cheap gimmicks and mindless consumerism but now it's like a legitimate business and storefront. That's just totally not in the Holiday Spirit.

I agree, having to do objectives in games was the best, especially when they had tangible rewards like the TF2 treasure hats or the summer DLC rewards.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Grabbed Slime Rancher and lost hours to cute blobs being fed carrots and bouncing around :3:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

H13 posted:

If you're a fighting game casual, I wouldn't really recommend Street Fighter V. There's basically no single player content. The mechanics of SFV are also pretty specific and you need to be pretty specific with timing and button pushes, so you can't really button-mash your way to victory. That makes it a good fighting game, but with the lack of single player content, there's no real easy way to learn the mechanics of the game.

Also, if you're in Australia, good luck finding a match.

They added a proper single player campaign (and I think AI sparring?) to SFV a while ago. Unless you're saying even that is inadequate?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Eight you need to replace the music. It's easy to do, but you NEED to do it apparently. It worked fine.

The SNES version is a phone port and doesn't look great, but you can mod it some of the way back. It's kinda overpriced for an ancient game though.

I think VII benefits from some modding as well, I think you replace some of the textures and models? I played VII and VIII on steam and I didn't notice any problems.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

As one of those 4 people, thanks for the heads up! I had to stop playing when my graphics card went bad, then just haven't picked it back up yet. This is as good an excuse as any.

I've got some fun games to suit whatever mood I'm in now. My latest acquisitions have been Grim Dawn, Dragon's Dogma, and Final Fantasy IX (never played it). This gives me a pretty decent spread, I think. Might do it for me until the Summer Sale.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

nerdz posted:

Ugh Origin is such poo poo. They discount their games but not the DLC. And they use that point based currency too, drat.

Specifically Bioware with Mass Effect 2 & 3 and Dragon Age 2. It's really loving annoying for the ME games, yeah. At least they dropped it and you can get the middling Dragon Age Inquisition DLC for a discount!

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
How are the God Eater games? Will it scratch a Monster Hunter itch?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

All of those work great on pc, I never had problems with VII either. The Xx-2 remasters run great too, they look really good.

The pre psx games are the ones to avoid, 3 especially. 6 is just ugly as all sin.

Spiderdrake posted:

Eight you need to replace the music. It's easy to do, but you NEED to do it apparently. It worked fine.

The SNES version is a phone port and doesn't look great, but you can mod it some of the way back. It's kinda overpriced for an ancient game though.

I think VII benefits from some modding as well, I think you replace some of the textures and models? I played VII and VIII on steam and I didn't notice any problems.

Thanks to both of you guys, I'll take that as the go-ahead for them not being bad ports!

Yeah, one of the Steam reviews for VIII was absolutely livid about it using midi music instead of wave or something similar so I'll look into replacing it I guess.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Thanks to both of you guys, I'll take that as the go-ahead for them not being bad ports!

Yeah, one of the Steam reviews for VIII was absolutely livid about it using midi music instead of wave or something similar so I'll look into replacing it I guess.

also 3 isn't really a bad port but just a really bad game. the original wasn't all that great as it was but they somehow made it even less fun. If you want to play 6 get the gba remastered version which is the gba extra dungeon poo poo but with the way better snes music.

edit: Also all those hd retextures for vii are ugly as gently caress.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Not really Steam Sale related, but opinions on Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Also are the incremental deluxe editions worth it?

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 24, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

They added a proper single player campaign (and I think AI sparring?) to SFV a while ago. Unless you're saying even that is inadequate?

Pretty much...

There's no overall story mode, and each character story is anywhere between 2-4 fights long (usually only 1 round) depending on the character. They were also shamefully easy. I was able to score perfect KOs in a fair few of them.

So I jumped into VS the computer which are just random 1v1 fights. On difficulty 4, I was slaughtering everything. Never lost a round. On difficulty 5, suddenly they were pulling things out of their rear end left right and center and I couldn't even get close to winning a round.

Sure, I know "git gud" and all. But it doesn't have a learning curve as much as it does a learning brick wall. That combined with how fussy the game is with it's commands (again, makes it a good fighting game because of how deliberate you have to be) means that filthy casuals like me kinda hit the ceiling early without much way of breaking through.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

super sweet best pal posted:

I agree, having to do objectives in games was the best, especially when they had tangible rewards like the TF2 treasure hats or the summer DLC rewards.

Agreed, and even worse, sometimes the price of these games on sale can go UP from what they started at. I was eyeballing Stellaris at $20 but they decided to up it to $27 and out of my price range, just because they can. Bah humbug to you, Gabe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Mystic Stylez posted:

Not really Steam Sale related, but opinions on Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Also are the incremental deluxe editions worth it?

It's the best character writing and performances Bioware has done yet, but probably the worst designed zones for any free roaming RPG. The DA thread can give you some tips for avoiding the most tedious side quests. It helps if you've played the previous ones (or at least 1. I wouldn't bother with 2) because they track an enormous number of decisions from 1 and 2 to make the world state for Inquisition.

The deluxe edition might be worth it if it includes the expansions, as one of the expansions has a much better ending than the main game.

• Locked thread