Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

BBD wrote a good article: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/2-ways-to-fix-standard/

I like the part where the comments of course feature people exclaiming that the problem is that people aren't brewing hard enough and if they just did that then somehow the giant 13/13 mythic would be answerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Keranos, He Who is Rarely a Creature

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Here's a hot take: banning cards in standard is not a bad thing and gives an immediate solution to a problem instead of "change your development philosophy for the set that comes out in two years".

Emrakul should be banned because it is an unfun and overpowered magic card, and it will not rotate for a year.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

But if we ban a card in standard it means we *gulp* made a mistake. Which obviously can't happen when we're doing such a good job.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

suicidesteve posted:

But if we ban a card in standard it means we *gulp* made a mistake. Which obviously can't happen when we're doing such a good job.

Also our market research shows that new players (who cannot afford to compete at even an FNM level) would be negatively impacted by this because of [complete BS reason].

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Smashing Link posted:

What's everyone's favorite 5 mana creature? Mine is Thrashing Wumpus. Won three FNMs in a row with that bad boy back in the day.

Swagtusk da gawd

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I'd be all for banning Emmy but then people would complain that Marvel'ing in a 10/10 Indestructible Exile 2 Permanents and 20 cards of your library is now unfun. I guess they could also use something stupid like Void Winnower

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Meanwhile, there's [url=http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/oral-history-first-pro-tour-2016-02-02]an article[/url on the WotC website with a quote from Richard Garfield:
"I don't remember if we knew exactly how powerful that card [Necropotence] was, but I knew it didn't surprise me. My design philosophy in those days was that if you didn't make a few banned cards, you weren't being aggressive enough. You had to be taking chances. My philosophy was give the players lots of interesting tools and let them play with those tools."

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

80s James Hetfield posted:

I'd be all for banning Emmy but then people would complain that Marvel'ing in a 10/10 Indestructible Exile 2 Permanents and 20 cards of your library is now unfun. I guess they could also use something stupid like Void Winnower

At least then they'd actually need to marvel it in rather than casting it for 6-7 mana after you answer marvel.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Wow no mulldrifter mentions? Shameful.

Deranged hermit is also acceptable.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sure, but it's not a 13/13 that the deck can cast two turns later if the "combo" fails. Marvel is a dumb card and not rotating BFZ is pretty asinine, but forcing Marvel into either ramp or midrange instead of both at once is good.

Plus it hurts the BG delerium decks.

Maybe ban Avacyn, too, so that wraths work again and WU is also harmed.

It's just...bans aren't inherently bad. Certain bans are overzealous, sure, but bans are basically the only tool wotc has to fix their current mistakes (as opposed to future mistakes.) I'd be all for immediate reprinting of standard legal relic of progenitus, like in a fake set composed only of fixer cards, but since wotc scrapped core sets and will never make a card legal just because, bans are about it.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

uPen posted:

At least then they'd actually need to marvel it in rather than casting it for 6-7 mana after you answer marvel.

Exactly. Emrakul has to go.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it'd be funny if they reprinted grafdiggers cage and then pointed to it whenever people asked them to print graveyard hate

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

I feel more and more like Standard Silverback is the fun rotating format.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
my favorite 5cmc creature is Kumano, Master Yamabushi.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

That was legit my second choice, and it was a hard decision. And don't forget his BFF Phyrexian Plaguelord, also 5 mana.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Smashing Link posted:

What's everyone's favorite 5 mana creature? Mine is Thrashing Wumpus. Won three FNMs in a row with that bad boy back in the day.

Thragtusk no contest

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pontius Pilate posted:

Mulldrifter is #2 for me, but IRL I'm Jaji, Magmaw Worshiper.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Mulldrifter is #2 for me, but IRL I'm Jaji, Magmaw Worshiper.

Yet another example of how BFZ block is bad: somehow we got Ayli as the random legendary that had a few lines in zendikar block and not that dude

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This is pure nostalgia, but Serra Angel.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Demigod of Revenge best 5CMC creature ever get hosed

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ThePeavstenator posted:

BBD wrote a good article: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/2-ways-to-fix-standard/

I like the part where the comments of course feature people exclaiming that the problem is that people aren't brewing hard enough and if they just did that then somehow the giant 13/13 mythic would be answerable.

Standard sucks because it's full of unfun cards. It has nothing to do with power level or format diversity. It's not really hard to pinpoint, its that it's hard to solve without rotating all of the existing cards or bans.

Emrakul is the worst but there plenty of offenders in the "gently caress this card" contest.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 24, 2016

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Entropic posted:

I love when control decks win the pro tour because they immediately get picked up by scrubs who don't know how to play them properly and get mad when you beat them at FNM.
Delver variants are like that. I was terrible when I put together UR, because you have to get all the value possible out of your cards and know your opponent's deck. The difference between me playing the deck, and a pro is even greater.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Standard sucks because it's full of unfun cards. It has nothing to do with power level or format diversity. It's not really hard to pinpoint, its that it's hard to solve without rotating all of the existing cards or bans.

Emrakul is the worst but there plenty of offenders in the "gently caress this card" contest.

Actually standard is bad and has been bad for a while because the diversity is terrible. Notice how all of the good standards in the past have been really diverse, like Ravnica standards?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pontius Pilate posted:

I have no own rule in any limited format to never pass a Mulldrifter.

Gary is 2nd.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
As a filthy commander player who tries to play with everyone else's cards as much as possible, my favorite 5 drop would be Empress Galina.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

My favorite 5 cmc card is easily Battle of Wits, but if we're talking just creatures then Mulldrifter and Reveillark are tied for me.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

My Favorite 5 cmc creature is Sliver Queen.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

I think there is a series on Youtube called Historial Standard where Randy takes old standard decks and clashes them with things that are or were recently legal.

I just watched him play CAWBlade and smash the gently caress out of what I think was either Khans Abzan Control or the UB Faeries deck a few days back

It's a cool idea for content

Thanks for this. I sat down last night and watched a bunch of these. Very nostalgic watching Academy and Jar doing their thing. I spent hours goldfishing these with proxies back when I was a kid. :)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

KillarySwank posted:

Lark, although that might be a 6 drop.

Alternative casting costs do not affect the CMC, friendo.

My favorite 5 CMC creature is Sen Triplets. :getin:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh god I just had the two best turn 1s I think I've ever had in cube after I mulliganed to oblivion game 1:

Game 2:
Island, Lotus, crack Lotus, play Trinket Mage fetching Mana Crypt, play Signet, play Maggot (take opponent's Rofellos)

Game 3:
Island, Mox Jet, Demonic Tutor for Tinker, Black Lotus, Tinker (for Myr Battlesphere)

I officially can't complain about luck for a while now.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What does it cost to play Holiday Cube? It sounds fun and I'm considering reinstalling modo just for that.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Shortest Path posted:

What does it cost to play Holiday Cube? It sounds fun and I'm considering reinstalling modo just for that.

:10bux: or 100 play points. 2-1 gets you 100 play points, 3-0 gets you 150 play points.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Shortest Path posted:

The overall cost depends on how good you are - but it's nominally $10 a pop, or the equivalent in untradeable mtgo funny money.

You get $10 worth of funny money back if you go 2-1 (and even turn a profit if you go 3-0), so you can play a lot for very little investment if you're good. It's really expensive if you lose a lot though.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I was about to celebrate that autocard anywhere recongnized thragtusk as swagtusk but I forgot I had set up that shortcut...ah well. truly the best 5 cmc indeed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
10 bucks for a draft where you don't even keep the cards. People deserve to get ripped off at this point.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sickening posted:

10 bucks for a draft where you don't even keep the cards. People deserve to get ripped off at this point.

They need some kind of reward system so I can play a few drafts a week for free. As it stands I'll go play infinite hearthstone for free on my phone and draft magic every few months.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'd argue that 10 bucks for a draft where you don't get to keep any cards is way more transparent about the actual value you're getting.

20CAD for a draft at my LGS where I get a bunch of worthless cardboard isn't really any better, value wise. Since I don't play constructed or sell my cards I just need to treat a draft like a movie or whatever.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Even if you do play standard, you get at most like 1 constructed playable card per 14$ draft. I'm fine with 10$ cubes where you can actually play a goofy busted format instead of board stalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Aether Revolt masterpieces are up http://magic.wizards.com/en/AERMasterpieces

The list is great actually, every single card other than maybe duplicant, staff of domination, black vise, and meekstone I've seen played in legacy or modern recently.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 24, 2016

• Locked thread