Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

I was watching this game live and holy poo poo their bigs rotation is terrible. Covington also has this ability to clog the paint even though he's supposed to be a 3 and D guy.

Noel/Embiid together looks promising though. They really gotta ship Okafor before teams realize he's Enes Kanter with worse defense somehow.

Kanter is really good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Boyyyyyyyy

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Who will be the first team in the playoffs out of Lakers, TWolves, or Philly

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Probably Wolves IMO.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah it's probably Wolves unless Simmons is really that good.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Kristaps is going to lead the Knicks to a title

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18290346/a-visit-disneyland-qa-kristaps-porzingis-knicks

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Mavs are on their first win streak of the season off a sweet Barnes game winner and 15 minutes of Dirk.

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/812537704537882624

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Every remaining minute of Dirk's basketball career is a blessing, amen

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah it's probably Wolves unless Simmons is really that good.

Even if he is, the Sixers need to add about 4-5 NBA players this offseason to be a .300 team, while at the same time having agents actively steer their clients away from them. If he's not, this rebuild is dead in the water (unless Embiid is allowed to play more minutes at some point in the future).

The Wolves and Lakers just need to get a little older and add a few more parts and the Wolves are probably about a year ahead of the Lakers on the rebuild.

Nuggets are probably closer than either of them (wouldn't be shocked if they end up taking that last playoff spot). The Suns are interesting because it looks like they're drawing dead but they probably have the most room to make a trade.

Rick fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 24, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Omg

https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/812528692458962944

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Metapod posted:

Kanter is really good though

Your eagerness to defend any slight against a player on an inevitable first round exit team is starting to wear on me

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

Your eagerness to defend any slight against a player on an inevitable first round exit team is starting to wear on me

You are calling Okafor bad and phili needs to ship him before teams figure out he's Kanter but worse at defense but in actuality if he was Kanter but worse on defense he'd still be very valuable because he's on a rookie contract. The player you are looking for to compare is al jefferson

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

3 game win streak and now in 8th place :cool:

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Boy the Blazers sure are in full meltdown mode. 1-9 out of the last 10 with a bunch of blowouts.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I hope the Mavs aren't exactly bad enough to draft Isaiah Hartenstein, because the Next Dirk thing would haunt him forever. He's a blonde 7 foot tall german who has a great shot off the dribble like dirk but he does brook lopez stlye overhand throw ins that Dirk doesn't do, and the odds are that he won't be a historically great shooter.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's almost 2017 and the NBA still hasn't accepted that every offensive big man who is a defensive liability has to be a sixth man now...sad stuff

Two years of exposure to late career Pau Gasol made me extremely woke regarding this essential truth, which means I'm smarter at basketball than Gregg Popovich now

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Brogdon with another awesome game. I am starting to think he will be a legit George Hill type starter in the league. Exactly what the Bucks need in a guard. Then Delly can go back to the bench where he can thrive.

Too bad the Bucks have three overpaid crappy centers otherwise they would be looking good if Middleton recovers.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

If you ran a team with a hole at SG, what is the most you would trade for Marcus Smart right now? I am definitely not Bill Simmons by the way.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Rick posted:

Even if he is, the Sixers need to add about 4-5 NBA players this offseason to be a .300 team,

They're at .250 now and the team as a whole is much better than the last 2-3 years; guys like Bayless, Rodriguez, and Henderson are much better than the trash that was on the roster.

Rick posted:

while at the same time having agents actively steer their clients away from them.

That's very speculative considering that Hinkie is gone and they had no problems with FAs last summer. Of course Philly isn't L.A. so we don't have the ability to throw $35 million at a combo like Deng and Mozgov...

Rick posted:

If he's not, this rebuild is dead in the water (unless Embiid is allowed to play more minutes at some point in the future).

He'll be good and there's also the pair of top 10 picks in a good and guard-heavy draft.

Rick posted:

The Wolves and Lakers just need to get a little older and add a few more parts and the Wolves are probably about a year ahead of the Lakers on the rebuild.

For the Wolves yeah (I still think they could really use a stretch 4), but for the Lakers a lot depends on Ingram's ceiling. Russell and Randle will be very good players, but I think they're a step below guys like KAT, Embiid, and Porzingis.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Atheistdeals.com posted:

If you ran a team with a hole at SG, what is the most you would trade for Marcus Smart right now? I am definitely not Bill Simmons by the way.

Any player whose value is really dependent on fit will probably return less than his value because of the uncertainty priced into putting him in a new situation, unless he's worse than his reputation and GMs talk themselves into him becoming the player he was for a year and then never again.

If he agrees to a haircut, a first round pick thats top 9 protected. Because that would mean he'd become a league average shooter. If not, then lottery protected.

The problem is that even if your team has shooting at every other position, he still isn't really a 36 minute player, so you don't want to pay good starter cost. He's a very good defender and really affects the game. He's just such a loving bad shooter that watching him brings about existential states of sorrow, he's left so open and guys don't even do fake closeouts. But the celtics keep giving him the ball as a reward for playing incredibly hard

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Buddy Hield looks like a bust because he's not quick or long enough or good enough as a ball handler to get clean looks with NBA defenders contesting his shot. But if he was left as open as marcus smart we'd be talking about him like we're talking about Jamal Murray, because he'd be shooting a great percentage.

Buddy needs to learn the hop and needs to both speed up and change the release point of his shot and he needs to be able to rock his defender back with a dribble or two and he'll be okay. That's a lot of stuff to learn. Marcus Smart only needs to cut his loving 2013 hair

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Giannis with another beast game. He's running the point or inside manhandling Gortat :swoon:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Calling a rookie a bust 30 games in is still stupid

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

Calling a rookie a bust 30 games in is still stupid

Duhh duhhh duhhh I'm tae I can't use context clues to understand anecdotes intended to build context for the alarmingly bad shooting of Marcus Smart

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Cool

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Depends how good Simmons is.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

They're at .250 now and the team as a whole is much better than the last 2-3 years; guys like Bayless, Rodriguez, and Henderson are much better than the trash that was on the roster.

That's very speculative considering that Hinkie is gone and they had no problems with FAs last summer. Of course Philly isn't L.A. so we don't have the ability to throw $35 million at a combo like Deng and Mozgov...

He'll be good and there's also the pair of top 10 picks in a good and guard-heavy draft.

For the Wolves yeah (I still think they could really use a stretch 4), but for the Lakers a lot depends on Ingram's ceiling. Russell and Randle will be very good players, but I think they're a step below guys like KAT, Embiid, and Porzingis.

Bayless, Rodriguez, and Henderson are all pretty mediocre players who would barely be in the rotation of any home court playoff team right now. And you're trying to be snarky but the Sixers are in such a state that players have chosen Europe or holding out over taking money from them, and couldn't spend $35 mil if they wanted to. Adding two more rookies keeps the Sixers too young to be good.

Your flawed concept of a rebuild shows in that when you analyze the Lakers you focus on Ingram, and then Randle and Russell. The Lakers have made developing them a priority, but it's not the only thing they've done with the team (they certainly aren't proceeding like a team that thinks their future is Ingram or bust), and have surrounded them with vets that help to cover for a lot of the mistakes the young guys make. It's not perfect, it's not even consistently good, but it's a roster that has shown that it can be competitive with good basketball teams when healthy, which is a lot more indicative of a team building towards the playoffs within a few years than what the Sixers are doing.

The only team farther away from the playoffs than the Sixers are the Nets and that's just because they haven't been able to really start rebuilding in earnest yet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Literally 3 european players chose the sixers over Europe this year. Please update your memes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

Literally 3 european players chose the sixers over Europe this year. Please update your memes.

Choosing the NBA over Europe is much different from choosing between NBA teams in free agency. But with Hinkie gone and the wheels clearly in forward motion I'm sure agents aren't going to be steering guys away quite as much.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

having players that are actually good (Embiid or theoretically Ben Simmons) is way more important to getting free agents than any bad blood the previous GM may or may not have generated. You guys are being dumb.

The team that makes the playoffs first will be the team that has the best players. Right now that's the Timberwolves. But it could be the Sixers is Simmons is the realest.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Choosing the NBA over Europe is much different from choosing between NBA teams in free agency. But with Hinkie gone and the wheels clearly in forward motion I'm sure agents aren't going to be steering guys away quite as much.

Hinkie signed free agents too.

The only players "steered away" from the Sixers was Porzingis who had the same agent as Noel. Noel just fired that agent.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I think if Simmons plays the end of this year and turns out to be the real deal and Embiid stays healthy all season then they will have enough pull to sign some above average free agents in the summer. They'll be one of the few teams with a lot of cap room after the glut of signings the last couple of years which will give them an advantage. Guys like Caldwell-Pope, Gallinari, Amir Johnson are probably not going to get the max (though who knows anymore?) and would be big signings for them and they can probably afford to pay slightly above market to try and get who they want.

I think that if Simmons and Embiid are healthy and good, they sign two above average vet FAs and they get a good player in the lottery then low 30s next season isn't out of the question in the East. With a target of getting a low seed in the playoffs in 2018/19. One problem they are going to have is Embiid is already in year three of his contract so they will have to max him after just two years of him playing, so they won't get the advantage of him being a near all-star player on a rookie deal.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

tanglewood1420 posted:

I think if Simmons plays the end of this year and turns out to be the real deal and Embiid stays healthy all season then they will have enough pull to sign some above average free agents in the summer. They'll be one of the few teams with a lot of cap room after the glut of signings the last couple of years which will give them an advantage. Guys like Caldwell-Pope, Gallinari, Amir Johnson are probably not going to get the max (though who knows anymore?) and would be big signings for them and they can probably afford to pay slightly above market to try and get who they want.

I think that if Simmons and Embiid are healthy and good, they sign two above average vet FAs and they get a good player in the lottery then low 30s next season isn't out of the question in the East. With a target of getting a low seed in the playoffs in 2018/19. One problem they are going to have is Embiid is already in year three of his contract so they will have to max him after just two years of him playing, so they won't get the advantage of him being a near all-star player on a rookie deal.

Two promising rookies/might as well be rookies (maybe even one) on a still historically terrible team will not be enough to draw "vet FAs"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

having players that are actually good (Embiid or theoretically Ben Simmons) is way more important to getting free agents than any bad blood the previous GM may or may not have generated. You guys are being dumb.

The team that makes the playoffs first will be the team that has the best players. Right now that's the Timberwolves. But it could be the Sixers is Simmons is the realest.

Having players that are actually good and winning games attracts players. Having good players that lose a lot doesn't.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Two promising rookies/might as well be rookies (maybe even one) on a still historically terrible team will not be enough to draw "vet FAs"

Money talks and they'll have more to spend than anyone else. Plus all those vet FAs have to actually sign somewhere.

They signed Jerryd Bayless this offseason who was perfectly fine when he was actually able to stay on the court. Guys at that level or maybe slightly above are who they'll be able to get, I'm not saying they're going after Paul Millsap.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

tanglewood1420 posted:

Money talks and they'll have more to spend than anyone else. Plus all those vet FAs have to actually sign somewhere.

They signed Jerryd Bayless this offseason who was perfectly fine when he was actually able to stay on the court. Guys at that level or maybe slightly above are who they'll be able to get, I'm not saying they're going after Paul Millsap.

How does signing a bunch of middling and/or aging free agents that nobody competitive wants help you quickly transform from the worst team of all time into a playoff team, or was that not part of your argument? I think that's how this whole thing started

Either way it's not an ideal outcome

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 24, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's a good question actually . Who is the first to make the playoffs from those three. Lots of unknowns on all those teams.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Since the Sixers have the only two way star of those three I'd go with them tho. Sixers are a playoff team when Embiid is on the court already.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

How does signing a bunch of middling and/or aging free agents that nobody competitive wants help you quickly transform from the worst team of all time into a playoff team, or was that not part of your argument? I think that's how this whole thing started

Either way it's not an ideal outcome

Because it was predicated on Simmons being good, Embiid staying healthy and them getting a good talent in the lottery, ideally a guard. The Sixers' problems the moment is they have Embiid who is potential all-star, and it's not outrageous to suggest that if he was playing more minutes he could be one in the east this year, Saric who is promising on offense but playing rookie defense, Illyasova and Rodriguez who are competent second unit players and then a bunch of non-NBA talent. If you have two all-stars in Simmons and Embiid (still a big if, but like I said that's what I based my prognostication on) and Saric and the draft pick can be starter level and you fill in around that in FA then you have a pretty decent chance at making the playoffs in the East in two season's time.

6-10 in the East at the moment is Hawks (Millsap and some solid guys but nothing more), Bucks (Giannis and a promising Parker but the rest of the team are nothing special at all), Pacers (Paul George is great, Turner promising, rest of the team meh), Washington (John Wall, Beal has been a disappointment, the incredible Otto Porter show and then a load of trash). If you have three good players you are automatically in playoff contention in the East.

e: missed off the Bulls (they are the Bulls)

In fact, the Bulls this year are showing that as long as you have two very good players (Wade and Buttler) and some competent guys with them (Lopez, Taj) then you can still make the playoffs even if you have Rajon loving Rondo as your point guard and your team construction makes absolutely no sense.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah. Embiids only played like 400 something minutes.

• Locked thread