Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't agree at all that she's mentally ill.

e: The West Wing starts out so energetic and positive but by season 3 it's the same grimdark drama of every other show.
S3 famously came in the wake of 9/11 so... is Aaron Sorkin a secret right winger?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Josh Lyman posted:

S3 famously came in the wake of 9/11 so... is Aaron Sorkin a secret right winger?!

He's sexist as hell so...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finished American Horror Story Coven. It wasn't bad. Ending felt a little off though. It had a witch tournament, betrayals, murder, hell, but it somehow felt very undramatic. Like the whole thing was just to put all the characters in their correct spots for the show to end. I did like that it ended with the world completely hosed. The only anti-witch organization is gone and now there's a new army of witches. I always appreciate a dark ending.

But they killed my two favorite character :mad:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I finished American Horror Story Coven. It wasn't bad. Ending felt a little off though. It had a witch tournament, betrayals, murder, hell, but it somehow felt very undramatic. Like the whole thing was just to put all the characters in their correct spots for the show to end. I did like that it ended with the world completely hosed. The only anti-witch organization is gone and now there's a new army of witches. I always appreciate a dark ending.

But they killed my two favorite character :mad:

They had originally planned a spin-off series and I think 3/4ths of it were building to a backdoor pilot. Those plans got canned though, so I think that contributed to the unfinished feeling.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

What do you mean they "planned"? Last I heard, AHS is still going to revisit it. I'm linking to the EW article this with spoilers for season 6 if you haven't seen, but the point is that Ryan Murphy's still going to go back for more of season 4, which no one wants, and Coven too.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't agree at all that she's mentally ill.

There are definitely at least two ways to interpret it.

I enjoyed the OA well enough but I'm a sucker for pretentious metaphysical bullshit. The acting was mostly good, much of the cinematography was passable, story was full of holes but often metaphysical stuff is. The dancing was weird but I thought it was rather necessary in a visual medium, many religions/mysticisms that have a focusing of will stereotypically rely on meditation and/or chanting, the dancing gave it a more dramatic visual aspect, and to be fair it did capture attention (in a largely negative way). That said, I don't think I'd watch a Season 2 unless it were about the reactions of OA's followers to her death/metaphysical transference. It'd be cool to see how the group changes without their charismatic leader. French is there to be the doubter, Buck seems spiritual, Betty/"BBA" wants a reason to believe and Steve is the true believer. I doubt that they would actually kill OA off though because Brit Marling seems kind of full of herself.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I had my top 10 all figured out but I forgot there was a Sense8 Christmas special and now I'm all mad I can't include everything I want :argh:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just watched the pilot of Falling Water and uh... :psyduck:

Someone derisively described it as a watered down version of Sens8 crossed with Inception.

edit: Finished ep2 and I think I'm done for now. I just can't get into this show, and I watched Sens8.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 23, 2016

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just started Twin Peaks. So weird.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Where is Sense8 Netflix? This 1,5 year season break bullshit needs to stop. It killed anyone's interest in watching Marco Polo.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

There are definitely at least two ways to interpret it.

I enjoyed the OA well enough but I'm a sucker for pretentious metaphysical bullshit. The acting was mostly good, much of the cinematography was passable, story was full of holes but often metaphysical stuff is. The dancing was weird but I thought it was rather necessary in a visual medium, many religions/mysticisms that have a focusing of will stereotypically rely on meditation and/or chanting, the dancing gave it a more dramatic visual aspect, and to be fair it did capture attention (in a largely negative way). That said, I don't think I'd watch a Season 2 unless it were about the reactions of OA's followers to her death/metaphysical transference. It'd be cool to see how the group changes without their charismatic leader. French is there to be the doubter, Buck seems spiritual, Betty/"BBA" wants a reason to believe and Steve is the true believer. I doubt that they would actually kill OA off though because Brit Marling seems kind of full of herself.

I think they decided to go for the leftovers "ambiguity that is not resolved" angle, but the thing is that leftovers is actually a good show. If it is the story of a mentally ill person, the way it is revealed (stack of amazon books on the topics she has discussed) is not only completely unsatisfying and nonsensical (does the fact that I have books on Brazil mean that I am lying when I say I was born in Brazil?), but so abrupt to make the whole thing a massive shaggy dog story. If it is not the story of a mentally ill person, then it is ridiculous that the story of half a dozen abductees and a few murders are all prologue to a mass school shooting, that not only comes out of left field, but is resolved without any special powers. All of this without even mentioning the ridiculousness of interpretive dance as the superpower.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MiddleOne posted:

Where is Sense8 Netflix? This 1,5 year season break bullshit needs to stop. It killed anyone's interest in watching Marco Polo.

Marco Polo killed anyone's interest in watching Marco Polo

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rarity posted:

Marco Polo killed anyone's interest in watching Marco Polo
SJWs killed anyone's interest in watching Marco Polo

I wish I was being facetious :(

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol, okay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Marco Polo is good though?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I was really bored by it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

MiddleOne posted:

The Christmas episode of Sense8 came out today if you missed that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Shut Eye is the kind of premise you would expect to be used for a lovely procedural, and instead, it is not.

It's funny that Chance is the exact same way. You wouldn't expect "Hugh Laurie plays a doctor who uses his knowledge to help people" and "Jeffrey Donovan plays a psychic who scams people but then starts having real visions" would be highly serialize dramas with some great ideas. But they are.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The people I know that liked Marco Polo and were excited for S2 said nary a word after release. It killed itself by being boring.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Chance really should be marketed more as a serial noir thriller

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Yeah Chance really should be marketed more as a serial noir thriller

Like it is straight up noir. Like it's the noiriest thing I've encountered since I read The Maltese Falcon like 3 years ago.

Edit: Also, the 10 episode season that both Chance and Shut Eye went with feels really good. There is absolutely no filler.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 23, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So after watching him in Rogue One and seeing his cast interviews and listening to a few of his (are you loving kidding me) surprisingly competent and clever rap verses, I have determined that Riz Ahmed is possibly one of the funniest, most charming and handsome men on the planet. Which leads me to a question: is The Night Of worth watching? On its own merits, I mean. Given my massive Riz boner, I'll probably wind up watching it no matter what, but I want to at least know what everyone thinks.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Spergatory posted:

So after watching him in Rogue One and seeing his cast interviews and listening to a few of his (are you loving kidding me) surprisingly competent and clever rap verses, I have determined that Riz Ahmed is possibly one of the funniest, most charming and handsome men on the planet. Which leads me to a question: is The Night Of worth watching? On its own merits, I mean. Given my massive Riz boner, I'll probably wind up watching it no matter what, but I want to at least know what everyone thinks.

Everything I hear is "No, it looked like it was building something but it was actually just boring." That being said, I have a week off work so I'll be watching it too, most likely.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Spergatory posted:

So after watching him in Rogue One and seeing his cast interviews and listening to a few of his (are you loving kidding me) surprisingly competent and clever rap verses, I have determined that Riz Ahmed is possibly one of the funniest, most charming and handsome men on the planet.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

We're all thirsty, friend. And Riz Ahmed is very cute so don't hate.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Josh Lyman posted:

I just watched the pilot of Falling Water and uh... :psyduck:

Someone derisively described it as a watered down version of Sens8 crossed with Inception.

edit: Finished ep2 and I think I'm done for now. I just can't get into this show, and I watched Sens8.

I finished it and it's one of my favorite shows of the year, and I love Sense8.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you have a foot fetish and want to see John Turturro's nasty feet up close in every episode by all means watch The Night Of. His character has a skin condition and he is constantly scratching his feet with a pencil to the point they are bleeding.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

If you have a foot fetish and want to see John Turturro's nasty feet up close in every episode by all means watch The Night Of. His character has a skin condition and he is constantly scratching his feet with a pencil to the point they are bleeding.

:stare: What's the polar opposite of a fetish? Because that's what I have with regards to feet. :barf:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aversion or phobia, depending on the type of dislike.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Night Of has about 4 or 5 episodes of really great build-up, and then a bunch of really stupid things happen and I never even finished watching it.

e: like, one of the things that happens is as out-of-nowhere and jarring as The Thing in The OA

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spergatory posted:

Riz MC is a drat genius!

Two geniuses at work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKCgqywx8i8

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

precision posted:

The Night Of has about 4 or 5 episodes of really great build-up, and then a bunch of really stupid things happen and I never even finished watching it.

e: like, one of the things that happens is as out-of-nowhere and jarring as The Thing in The OA

How much is this thing linked to that one dudes foot rashes?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaggitz posted:

How much is this thing linked to that one dudes foot rashes?

It's not, it's something that absolutely literally comes out of nowhere in both tone and act.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Can you spoiler text it for me I'm legit curious I dropped that show after 3 eps.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zaggitz posted:

Can you spoiler text it for me I'm legit curious I dropped that show after 3 eps.

Chandra (Naz's lawyer) kisses him because she has fallen in love with him. It comes out of left field and weakens her character.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also the whole thing with her vagina

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

less laughter posted:

Chandra (Naz's lawyer) kisses him because she has fallen in love with him. It comes out of left field and weakens her character.

You are not doing it justice:

she kisses him in the detention cell by the guard, in full view of the security camera, and then agrees to smuggle drugs in her vagina, which she gives to him in the same camera monitored cell

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
That Travelers show on Netflix is pretty solid scifi. It's by the guy who made all those Stargate shows, which I never liked, so I thought this would suck, but I was pleasantly surprised. Would fit right into Syfy's current lineup with 12 Monkeys and such.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Travelers is great and was really unexpected for me. For being such a low-budget concept it really succeeds in being an interesting sci-fi premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read Del Toro's kids show is on Netflix now. I should give it a shot. I wonder just how kids it is.

• Locked thread