Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Technically it's two missiles.

How much was your account worth again Beer, eight missiles worth? you definitly weren't fanatic enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mr.PayDay posted:

Funny how the narrative changed in the poll thread
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/318617/should-cig-move-to-lumberyard-game-engine

Already 15,5% yes votes and No votes down to 63%
:allears:

What did you expect? "Welcome, sonny?" "Make yourself at home?" "Marry my daughter?" You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

one more thing, so lumberyard is an engine made for online games
Will SQ42 be using cryengine or lumberyard as well?

Lumberyard is like StarEngine. It is simply Amazon's branch of CryEngine with a bunch of custom code. There's no reason why SQ42 or SC would be on different engines. SQ42 would make use of the XB1/PS4 support, so there's no reason not to port it to Lumberyard.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus/v/109403591?t=06h12m45s

PISSEDosaurus

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

one more thing, so lumberyard is an engine made for online games
Will SQ42 be using cryengine or lumberyard as well?

Lumberyard FAQ posted:

Q. If I build a single-player game that uses no cloud connectivity, do I have to pay to use the engine?
No, in this case you would pay us nothing.

Q. Do I have to run my game on AWS?
No. If you own and operate your own private servers, you do not need to use AWS. You also don’t need to use AWS if your game does not use any servers. For example, if you release a free-standing single‐player or local-only multiplayer game, you pay us nothing.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

its moments like these I really love that guy, he's genuine in his expression.
Because basically the only word one can describe is confusion.

btw Merry Christmas yall

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Press release says that 2.6 already is using AWS.

They are definitely still fighting with transition issues (albeit they are not admitting it), since 2.6 still have many issues.

But I wonder if part of what they claim to have been a smooth transition is that the "Star Engine" had gently caress all of working game code of their own, so the "port process" was dropping all that poo poo in a heartbeat and putting their models and animations to Amazon's engine.

The focus is marketing ships with videos and building fake demos anyway, so the transition there is even less painfull.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

its moments like these I really love that guy, he's genuine in his expression.
Because basically the only word one can describe is confusion.

btw Merry Christmas yall

There's a good 5mins of :salt: too

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Merry Chrismas everyone.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Friendship ended with Crytek.

Now Lumberyard is my best friend.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Yes why...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I picked an excellent time to catch up with the thread. :cawg: eat poo poo, Crobblers

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I should point out that when I guessed they'd changed engines it was purely from the point of view of a tactic to keep the scam going for longer.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Lumberyard Spaceport

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

was there an official statement or mention or anything about this prior to release? you would think the holiday livestream might have been a good place to mention it

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

alf_pogs posted:

was there an official statement or mention or anything about this prior to release? you would think the holiday livestream might have been a good place to mention it

They've been integrating with Lumberyard for the last year, so, maybe at any point in the last year would've good time to talk about something like that. But, you know how open development goes.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Merry Chrismess and Happy New Engine!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

XK posted:

They've been integrating with Lumberyard for the last year, so, maybe at any point in the last year would've good time to talk about something like that. But, you know how open development goes.

there hasnt been a mailout from crobblerts since it dropped? hahaha its so funny how bad they are at communicating even one percent of what matters

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Within the last 13 hours:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/is-derek-smart-right.2493837/page-18

Skel posted:

could they license this new engine they've built? The more I hear about how they've had to rewrite most of the Crytek engine, the more I start wondering if that's a way for people to recoup money if this thing doesn't make it out. Of course the changes to the TOS make that close to impossible now,. If nothing else, it would give CR a new rev stream regardless.. provided they can of course.

In response to Lumberyard being spotted on the loading screen:

Sabrewings posted:

No, I haven't seen anything like that in game. Looks photoshopped to me.

Assuming they meet their goals, StarEngine would be unique in its capabilities all under one roof. 64-bit positioning, MMO, physics, detailed graphics, etc.

WHOOPS lol

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Merry loving Christmas from NZ, you filthy animals.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mr Fronts posted:

Can someone PLEASE make an up-to-date dev-time bar graph, with Star Citizen showing its correct development time, since the Lumberyard engine refactor. Those old graphs are misleading, as they show SC dev time in years.

This one is still fairly up to date with what they've said (what with 4.0 being something that we should expect to slip into 2018 and all).

Romes128 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Lumberyard

so there have been no games released using lumberyard?

cig switched engines to an unproven platform, with features (like gamelift, you know they're gonna use it cause they can't get their multiplayer poo poo sorted out) that haven't been implemented properly in any other game,

lmao
Lumberyard is still in Beta (that inspires confidence, doesn't it?), and while there are some games in the works, it's nothing you'll ever have heard of: https://games.amazon.com/games

Note how they haven't made a peep about getting their first high-profile licensee…

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Does Lumberyard have 64 bit positioning?

:ohdear:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I like the classy move of 2.6 having an unlock for the ship store. to open the pirate lti version of the caterpillar if you beat pirate swarm. Only $295, that's less than 5 full price AAA games - they are basically giving it away.

Chris Roberts, what a guy, open with his plans and info about the development and setting the standard for true respect of your fan base.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Today has been super loving weird and this is the thumb-shaped cherry on top. I can't even begin to believe this happened. I'll check in tomorrow after some sleep to determine whether or not I passed out at work and this is all a bizarre dream.

Merry Chris-mass-fuckup everyone.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Kosumo posted:

I like the classy move of 2.6 having an unlock for the ship store. to open the pirate lti version of the caterpillar if you beat pirate swarm. Only $295, that's less than 5 full price AAA games - they are basically giving it away.

Chris Roberts, what a guy, open with his plans and info about the development and setting the standard for true respect of your fan base.

It must be really hard to beat pirate swarm. Only the top players can do that, right?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bushmaori posted:

Merry loving Christmas from NZ, you filthy animals.

Merry Christmas you Bushmaori from a fellow Kiwi bro.

Merry Christmas to the rest of you all to. Have a fun time and stay safe you you are traveling, shitizen drive cars too.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

god bless us everyone

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Hey, uncle Derek, now that Star Citizen has come out and told us it's a lumberjack and it's ok, will you, to stay competitive with it, be switching Line of Defence to the 3D Realms Build engine?

Should we all be re-installing Ten Multiplayer Network?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

In Honour of Lumbercitizen.

Is this Starengine?
No it is Lumberyard.
What even happened?
Chris Roberts is a retard.

CIG Lied.
The backers they cried "You'll see!"
Is it a sales ploy? I'd say most probably.
Engines are easy come, easy go,
It's still Cry, Crobs says no.
Funds all went on Chris's blow, But it doesn't really matter to me, to me...

Croberts, Just killed Starengine,
Put his thumb up to delete,
Gave the word, now it's dogmeat.
Croberts, development had just begun!
But now you've gone and thrown Starengine away...

Croberts! Ooh, (spent it all on crobert's blow)
Should have never been shown Cry,
Sarsaparila will back again this time tomorrow
Go on crobs, carry on as if nothing really matters.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Someone else can finish the song, it's too loving long.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Sappo569 posted:

Something tells me the ticket database is going to be a purgin' on the 3rd

WOW! Just got my refund and CR just gave me one of the best presents ever. loving fantastic.
Just in time.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Has anyone said Lumberparp yet?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is ending up like the TV show Dexter. First season was great. Then it was kind of lovely. Then there was a small bright spot with some awesomeness. Then season after season of exponential WTF, with the series concluding on a lumberyard.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

iron buns posted:

Star Citizen: Merry Chrismess and Happy New Engine! and a NO NO NO!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beer, and anyone else who just got their refund, on this Friday specifically, your timing is just absolutely :discourse:.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Also, this was pretty much me when I read about the change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc&t=10s

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

This also proves that the Agent and Dsmart know poo poo,

So guys the games is doing great and coming out soon.
Better pledge soon.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

XK posted:

Does Lumberyard have 64 bit positioning?

:ohdear:
This is what I was wondering, didn't they specifically have to tweak Starengine to support this? How would that work with Lumberyard?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

croblahu akbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

CrazyTolradi posted:

This is what I was wondering, didn't they specifically have to tweak Starengine to support this? How would that work with Lumberyard?

I've been ensured by reliable shills that it's just a matter of loading the modifications into the new engine and you're up and running. Dead simple.

Also, it just dawned on me (I've got the flu, ok, thinking is slow and painful right now) that this was the spectacular announcement they were asking refunders to wait for so that it could restore their confidence and not get a refund.
:cawg: