Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Trump is President officially and I've pretty much lost all remaining faith in humanity. :negative:

This. I mean, I didn't see it ever going the other way but the next few years will be loving insane.

I only wish I could bathe in the tears of the people he conned, who will soon be losing everything but will blame that uppity Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I am having an incredibly hard time not being judgemental about a certain someone with a history of complaining about a lack of money, considering his girlfriend is the only one in their household what works, who just quit his job he's had for three weeks because "I felt trapped."

Dude, you made pizzas.

At least he admits he has some kind of issue regarding it, that's helping me resist yelling at him.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sometimes when I want to post a large message in Discord without flooding the channel, I put it in a pastebin and post the link, but then Discord generates a preview of the webpage with the first image it finds, and for pastebin, that's an inexplicably huge version of its logo, wasting the space I intended to save.

Also Twitter links sometimes preview the user's avatar before any included image.

Also their Android app is super unstable and always several features behind.

My FWP is that all my friends use Discord, and it's probably the best such service right now, but it's still got a lot of irritating problems.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I heard that Pokemon Go had added gen 2 Pokemon so I was planning on firing it up for the first time in months, but then I found out it's only like 7, and you can only get them from eggs? What the gently caress, Niantic?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pokemon Moon is very good but I have no time to play it.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
I have a large punching dummy sitting in my art room, which is next to the bathroom.
Any time I get up in the middle of the night to pee, without fail, it scares the shenanigans out of me.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Friend of a friend wrote an opinion piece for WaPo and I read the top comments and now I'm angry but I can't stay angry because I'm at work.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My girlfriend gets a four day vacation because she has a regular job.
I have to work through the holidays for a measly +135% :cry: :cry: :cry:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not feeling well because it got warm enough that coat-plus-sweater is too hot and couldn't take off said coat for a while. And I get headaches/ill when I'm overheated.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
At work I was given a task labelled high priority. I normally don't get deadlines but this one had a due date. I stayed late multiple days to get it hammered out.

That deadline was October 31st. I handed in my code on October 15th. To this day it still hasn't been looked at. It's still parked in code review land with stuff I wrote four months ago.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
My family's coming over for Christmas lunch and I have no time to go shopping for groceries since I have like a million end-of-year deadlines at work, which is until Friday evening, and other stuff to do on Saturday.

loving gently caress gently caress, why the gently caress is Christmas on a Sunday? :argh:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Inzombiac posted:

My girlfriend gets a four day vacation because she has a regular job.
I have to work through the holidays for a measly +135% :cry: :cry: :cry:

Wait, +135%, so a total of 235% of your regular currency per hour?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

+135% of nothing is still nothing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Wait, +135%, so a total of 235% of your regular currency per hour?

Yeah. Holiday premiums plus other differentials.
It's really nice but I haven't had a holiday off in 12 years.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My rescue group did a Xmas pull this year; since Xmas falls on a Sunday, the Yuma animal pound sent a list to all rescues with close to 100 cats and kittens that would be put down. My rescue is in Phoenix. A few people did the long trip there, and the bitch at the intake center started whining how stressful it is for her when more than a few felines go out, because of all the paperwork. oval office, they will be PUT DOWN tonight unless someone takes them and fosters them, I have no time for your pity poo poo.

Same intake woman told our rescue president not to touch one case of kittens because they were exposed to ringworm, and would be put down because of it. President stared at the lady, opened the case, took out one kitten and rubbed it all over her face and arms, and passed it around to the rest of the group, who did the same, then added the case to our intake pile.

Ringworm is not a worm, it's like athlete's foot, a fungus, and the number 1 reason animals are put down because it spreads so fast and takes so long to treat. We all know it. It's a loving bitch to treat and I hate it but I hate being a grinch more, so I agreed to take some kittens despite wanting a break from fostering.

So we have 4 new foster kittens, and my FWP is that they all came with names already and I can only remember Simon and Salvador and the other two are other S names. I want to change them because the names all suck, and might not be able to because of the paperwork involved.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
My fries are soggy

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sweet As Sin posted:

My fries are soggy

Yeah well I don't have any fries.
I have steak bites and latkas.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
So bored

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found a bag of pita chips in the back of my cupboard and I tried to get rid of them by making them into nachos and it came out pretty bad. I don't even know why I would've bought pita chips

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah well I don't have any fries.
I have steak bites and latkas.

I don't know what a latka is but it sounds good with steak

Another one: I bought a cute choker and wore it a bit too tight so when I sneezed one end came out of the metal clamp so I had to fix it.

And another: I want to do some leatherworking I have pending but a lot of my supplies are at a friend's house and a project I have advanced is nowhere to be found

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sweet As Sin posted:

I don't know what a latka is but it sounds good with steak

Another one: I bought a cute choker and wore it a bit too tight so when I sneezed one end came out of the metal clamp so I had to fix it.

And another: I want to do some leatherworking I have pending but a lot of my supplies are at a friend's house and a project I have advanced is nowhere to be found

Latkes are potato pancakes that are commonly associated with Jewish cuisine. I had mine with shredded onion and apple sauce. Mmmmm.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've got a number of small issues in my flat that I've been emailing the property manager about since the start of November and he never gets back to me, so today I phoned him and he acted like I'm deliberately being difficult by telling him about maintenance issues and expecting him to even acknowledge them. That's your job! Would you prefer I just hire a plumber to fix the tap and send you the bill? Because that would actually be way more convenient for me, but the lease we signed says I have to go through you.

Cowslips Warren posted:

So we have 4 new foster kittens, and my FWP is that they all came with names already and I can only remember Simon and Salvador and the other two are other S names. I want to change them because the names all suck, and might not be able to because of the paperwork involved.
How is there paperwork involved in renaming a cat?

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
My department recently got a new Chair, and since she's been in charge we've started having occasional and relatively spontaneous wine and cheese parties on Friday afternoons to celebrate various departmental achievements. They just sent out an email saying there is going to be another one today for the holidays, but I am going home early today, so I'm going to miss it and that makes me sad. I have plenty of wine to drink at home, but there is something special about getting paid to drink at work (instead of actually doing work).

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I was late to work yesterday because I put too much laundry in the dryer and it wasn't dry in time for me to make my train.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Same intake woman told our rescue president not to touch one case of kittens because they were exposed to ringworm, and would be put down because of it. President stared at the lady, opened the case, took out one kitten and rubbed it all over her face and arms, and passed it around to the rest of the group, who did the same, then added the case to our intake pile.
I'm imagining someone walking in, seeing everyone rubbing themselves with kittens, and tiptoeing back out with an alarmed look on their face.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

On one hand I have a stable job that is fine but on the other hand I really need something that is close to 9-5.

I've applied to a bunch of places with no luck.
Turns out that a 10+ years of experience doesn't matter when you don't have a degree.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

On one hand I have a stable job that is fine but on the other hand I really need something that is close to 9-5.

I've applied to a bunch of places with no luck.
Turns out that a 10+ years of experience doesn't matter when you don't have a degree.

Don't worry, the flipside is just as bad. :negative:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Intoluene posted:

Don't worry, the flipside is just as bad. :negative:

Yeah. Most of my friends have degrees and a lot of them in advanced fields. One has a masters in physics but works at Starbucks. Meanwhile another is working on his doctorate and lucked into an unrelated job that is paying him an obscene amount of money for very little work.

Mostly, I want a 9-5 to I can run RPGs again. It's one of the few things that actually makes me happy.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Lately I've been thinking about that too. Being poor was simpler...I took boxes off of trucks, took smaller boxes out of the boxes, and then put those boxes on the shelf. I had fewer decisions to make and there was zero threat of being on call for anything. Food was often whatever I could afford. Now I'm expected to be an expert and am technically on call at all times. I have like 50 options for lunch within walking distance of work and can afford to eat out for lunch every day if I feel like it.

Granted life is waaaaaay better now but sometimes I long for the simplicity I just don't have anymore. It feels silly to bellyache about the parts that do suck because they're minor. Life is pretty good right now, if a bit boring.

I got so accustomed to poverty and making do with nothing that not needing to panic over money to get everything I need just feels weird.

While you are still weirded out by your higher income, you should deposit a large percentage of it into savings every paycheck. Retain enough to reward your job change, but now is the perfect time to start saving a whole bunch and building your retirement portfolio. If you're not used to having it, you won't miss it.

My first world problem lately is being way, way too comfortable in my new apartment and not wanting to do anything productive with my time. I am warm and cozy, why should I do the dishes and study?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

kreyla posted:

While you are still weirded out by your higher income, you should deposit a large percentage of it into savings every paycheck. Retain enough to reward your job change, but now is the perfect time to start saving a whole bunch and building your retirement portfolio. If you're not used to having it, you won't miss it.

Waaaaaaaay ahead of you on that one. I maxed out what my company matches for my 401K. I had to buy a new car (my 1992 Celica which I adored finally died) so I'm not saving as fast as I want but I'm still saving regardless.

Which is another pair of FWPs...I miss driving that car. It was a horrible old rust bucket that smelled kind of funny partly because it was fun to tell people who many miles it had on it. It finally died approaching 250,000. People would go "holy poo poo, what?" There was just something special about 90's Toyotas. Fuckers wouldn't die.

The other reason I wanted to keep it was it actually loving fit me. I'm 6' tall and have long legs. Finding a car that actually accommodates my body and is comfortable is a tremendous pain. The first thing I do when I find a car I'm interested in is get in it and see if the driver's seat fits me properly. If it doesn't then nope. Doesn't matter what else the car has. Most cars suck for me to drive.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's why people buy big SUVs

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I've gotten enough money to splurge on a gem faceting machine but I'm moving out of the country next year and I'm not sure if I should wait or get one now now now

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I bought an expensive food processor for xmas, but it might not fit under the kitchen cabinet and it's supposed to be here already but it's not so I can't test it. Life is so unfair

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

That's why people buy big SUVs
I'm 6'8" and don't want an SUV. It really sucks.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Waaaaaaaay ahead of you on that one. I maxed out what my company matches for my 401K. I had to buy a new car (my 1992 Celica which I adored finally died) so I'm not saving as fast as I want but I'm still saving regardless.

Which is another pair of FWPs...I miss driving that car. It was a horrible old rust bucket that smelled kind of funny partly because it was fun to tell people who many miles it had on it. It finally died approaching 250,000. People would go "holy poo poo, what?" There was just something special about 90's Toyotas. Fuckers wouldn't die.

The other reason I wanted to keep it was it actually loving fit me. I'm 6' tall and have long legs. Finding a car that actually accommodates my body and is comfortable is a tremendous pain. The first thing I do when I find a car I'm interested in is get in it and see if the driver's seat fits me properly. If it doesn't then nope. Doesn't matter what else the car has. Most cars suck for me to drive.
http://www.theonion.com/article/toyota-recalls-1993-camry-due-fact-owners-really-s-50480

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The cold weather is giving me hangnails like crazy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The package tracking on my THERMAL CAMERA hasn't updated since yesterday, so there's a chance it WON'T be delivered today :ohdear:

I may have to wait until post christmas to have predator vision and frankly that's just slightly inconvenient.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
It's xmas and I haven't taken a poo poo in a day and a half and my farts smell like pure death. I hope I don't have to take a terribly smelly poo poo when all my extended family is here.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Go take a poo poo before they arrive, then. Dammit, goons

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
My dad's been sick with a horrible cold for at least three weeks, and even though we (me and my mom and my sister) keep telling him to go see the doctor because it's clearly something that won't go away on its own and it's probably something bacterial, not viral, at this point, he keeps insisting it's "nothing to worry about, I'll just keep taking spearmint and camphor and licorice to keep the symptoms at bay until I get better."

Why are you so hard-headed, dad :argh:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Go take a poo poo before they arrive, then. Dammit, goons

Been trying to since yesterday. Won't come out. It's my first time dealing with this! First world problems are hard dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Karma for my poop impatience: in a stunning reversal of events, my relief is perfectly on time but my ride home is half an hour late.