Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I'm Atlantropa Lake Michigantropa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think about 80 percent of the posts in this thread are devoted to pointing out "flaws" in stylized maps.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I'm Northwest South Carolina, admitted to the union on 1 April 1982

http://www.theonion.com/article/east-carolina-grad-thinks-east-carolina-a-state-6884

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Edible Hat posted:

I think about 80 percent of the posts in this thread are devoted to pointing out "flaws" in stylized maps.
While this thread often goes overboard with it, it is somewhat interesting what details mapmakers are actually faithful to, and which ones they're fine ignoring/stylizing. Like Great Britain is always there even in the most abstract maps, while Ireland is optional. And New Zealand doesn't exist.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
This thread is basically just "the D&D map thread", but whatever maps are cool.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

doverhog posted:

This thread is basically just "the D&D map thread", but whatever maps are cool.

Y-yeah? It's the only thread about maps in D&D so it is technically the D&D Maps Thread.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
if you can find a map that isn't somehow politically loaded in some sense then please post it and we'll overthink it for long enough that it'll become politically loaded anyways

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Wait this is a D&D thread? Thought it was PYF or something.

Only trope worse then pointing out flaws in bad maps ad nauseam in this thread is people postings maps without titles/labels.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Was messing around with 500 Cities Project data earlier and made these:

Affluent urban white people are all lushes.

(to be fair, I live in one of those dark patches and I'm not exactly proving the map wrong)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
What is it about the Verrazano Narrows Bridge that makes people want to drink (r at least report drinking)

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

What is it about the Verrazano Narrows Bridge that makes people want to drink (r at least report drinking)

Looks like most of the people in that census tract are probably military personnel. These rates aren't adjusted for age or gender, so it could just be the large proportion of young men.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like people pointing out flaws in maps in this thread because it makes me laugh and I would miss them myself because I'm dumb and bad at geography. :colbert:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

yoctoontologist posted:

Was messing around with 500 Cities Project data earlier and made these:

Affluent urban white people are all lushes.

(to be fair, I live in one of those dark patches and I'm not exactly proving the map wrong)
Now do Boston, and let's see if we can pick out the major colleges.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Now do Boston, and let's see if we can pick out the major colleges.

The dataset only has the 500 largest cities in the US, so the coverage is kinda random; just the city proper and a couple larger suburbs.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Those binge-drinking maps are just income maps depicting where people who have no problem racking up bar tabs over $100 are.

The smoking maps are basically negatives of the binge-drinking maps.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

I like people pointing out flaws in maps in this thread because it makes me laugh and I would miss them myself because I'm dumb and bad at geography. :colbert:

Seriously, let people have some fun, you grinches.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

yoctoontologist posted:

The dataset only has the 500 largest cities in the US, so the coverage is kinda random; just the city proper and a couple larger suburbs.
Well, I can spot Tufts, Harvard, and MIT at least.

Lol @ Logan Airport.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Happy Whatever.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Vermont is full of godless heathens. Checks out.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Could just as easily be "here are the places where people never stop complaining on twitter that people don't say 'Merry Christmas'", really.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

How many say "Happy Christmas"?

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Randandal posted:

The smoking maps are basically negatives of the binge-drinking maps.

I imagine that's true of a lot of them. I tried mapping people who don't get enough sleep:

Kinda depressing that the UChicago students are actually sleeping more than the surrounding population.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd say it partly depends on the individual what constitutes 'enough' sleep. I usually get between 6 and 7 hours of sleep on workdays. Seems to be fine, though less than six hours and I start feeling the effects.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Proportion of population professing adherence to the Unitarian church

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

I saw this map and thought of you all. Is there an empire with more terrible borders? I think not. A more accurate map would be worse, because this one kinda smooths it out giving the Kushans control of areas they definitely didn't because otherwise their empire would look like somebody traced a live octopus.
"i dunno we should probably conquer that way, I don't give a gently caress."-Kanishka I, probably

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 27, 2016

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Schizotek posted:

I saw this map and thought of you all. Is there an empire with more terrible borders? I think not. A more accurate map would be worse, because this one kinda smooths it out giving the Kushans control of areas they definitely didn't because otherwise their empire would look like somebody traced a live octopus.
"i dunno we should probably conquer that way, I don't give a gently caress."-Kanishka I, probably

Do you have such a map? I wanna see the octopus empire.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Schizotek posted:

Territory maps before 1700 are stupid for most places.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

rear end struggle posted:

Yeah, but then reactionary history nerds wouldn't be able to masturbate over maps of the Roman Empire.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:Getoutfrog:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

The Sin of Onan posted:

Do you have such a map? I wanna see the octopus empire.

It's basically just majorrivers.jpg
Tighten it up along the Amu Darya, the Indus, and the northern Indian river systems (and extend it to the sea in the case of the Amu) and you have a good idea.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Said no paradox player ever.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Vorpal Cat posted:

Said no paradox player ever.
The worst punishment for any Paradox player is being forced to endlessly stare at a map of the Holy Roman Empire.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Where did human civilization originate? The answer may surprise you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Biblical Flood happened before Putin got his hands on Crimea.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Schizotek posted:

The kushans were cool and buddy buddy with the romans for a while with a "gently caress persia" alliance.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
here's a stupid map from alt-right twitter

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

HorseRenoir posted:

You're missing out if you don't include the insane neo-Nazi ramblings.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
As always I thoroughly resent them taking the okay states of the Upper South merely because they were part of the Confederacy! I demand intense demographic research and respect for emergent American megaregions from stupid alt right balkanized-map makers.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm the Detroit city state that doesn't actually include Detroit and only from Monroe to the border.