Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Want to make a simple beef roast for the in laws. Not going to buy them an aged prime rib roast because they wouldn't care.

What should I look at? I was thinking a London broil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

London Broil/Bottom Round/Eye of Round (leanest/trickiest)

For a traditional roast, I'd go reverse sear, because then you have the roasted pan juices for yorkshire pudding.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Chemmy posted:

Want to make a simple beef roast for the in laws. Not going to buy them an aged prime rib roast because they wouldn't care.

What should I look at? I was thinking a London broil?

"Plain" non-aged rib roast is still pretty good, for what it's worth.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jan posted:

I vote for that, get a small Prime rib roast from Costco (in-laws are old and won't eat much), as long as you season and sear it well, it'll be fantastic. I'd go with that over a london broil or eye of round.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jan posted:

USDA choice (technically speaking, it's not marbled for poo poo) standing rib roasts were $5.99/lb at my local grocer this week. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

baquerd posted:

USDA choice (technically speaking, it's not marbled for poo poo) standing rib roasts were $5.99/lb at my local grocer this week. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Maybe I'll make a costco run then. I felt like I could bag something cheap and vizzle it for 24 hours, and then just hammer it in a hot oven on Saturday afternoon at the in laws'.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Maybe I'll make a costco run then. I felt like I could bag something cheap and vizzle it for 24 hours, and then just hammer it in a hot oven on Saturday afternoon at the in laws'.

Chef Steps recently put up a chuck roast recipe that might be along those lines

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/flavor-packed-feast-worthy-chuck-roast

Though with it being Christmas season, USDA Choice prime rib is going to cost about the same as a good chuck.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's perfect. I'm gonna do that. I know how to cook a rib roast and want to try something new.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Today's (12/22/16) Meh is a food saver with roll storage and cutter for $35.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Test Pattern posted:

Today's (12/22/16) Meh is a food saver with roll storage and cutter for $35.

How much of a difference do the MOIST/gentle settings make over a regular model?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Here is how much water you lose over 72 hours when you cover your water bath:

(approx 10 liters at start, 9.5 to 9.67 liters at end)
(8.46 kilowatt hours, approx $1.01 over 3 days at average rates)

Here is how much water you lose in 12 hours uncovered:

(approx 10 liters at start, about 7 liters at end)
(3.58 kilowatt hours, about 43 cents over 12 hours)

Los Angeles has dry air, YMMV, etc, etc. So don't bother covering for short cooks, but cover for anything over 4-6 hours I guess, unless you want to have to check the water level regularly, refill the water and spend 2.5x as much in electricity

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 23, 2016

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

toplitzin posted:

How much of a difference do the MOIST/gentle settings make over a regular model?

Overall not much. But where they are, they're the difference between an easy good seal and just enough marinade/meatjuice sucking up into the sealing zone to be a problem.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
so has anyone done any interesting variations on kenji's s-v carrots? making a bunch for christmas eve dinner tomorrow

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a recommendation for boneless lamb leg? Most recipes I've seen agree on 131F but I've seen times ranging from 4-36 hours.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sportman posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for boneless lamb leg? Most recipes I've seen agree on 131F but I've seen times ranging from 4-36 hours.

Leg of lamb can have a lot of connective tissue, I think? I'm guessing they vary depending on whether they want to gelatinize the connective tissue or not. Maybe unfurl it and trim as much sinew as you can find if you wanna go with a shorter cook time.

BTW remember to trim the inner fat. It's very prone to rancidity and smelling farty

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

so has anyone done any interesting variations on kenji's s-v carrots? making a bunch for christmas eve dinner tomorrow

Coi's roasted carrots with coffee. Finish SV after roasting with the beans. The sauce is just mandarin and carrot juice.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Christmas Eve Eve goals met: 4lbs of prime rib in a bath overnight. Red wine sauce to follow, as well as root veggies and roasted Brussels sprouts.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Has anyone ever done a boned out, rolled pork leg roast ?

I've got a 3-4kg piece which is quite thick, was going to try 63 for 12 hours ? Just asking because Chef Steps say 3-4 hours which doesn't seem enough to cook such a thick piece of meat properly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

StealthBus posted:

Has anyone ever done a boned out, rolled pork leg roast ?

I've got a 3-4kg piece which is quite thick, was going to try 63 for 12 hours ? Just asking because Chef Steps say 3-4 hours which doesn't seem enough to cook such a thick piece of meat properly.

I made some guesstimate numbers in sous vide dash and yeah it seems to think an 8.8lb pork cylinder would cook to 63 in less than 3 hours.

Go download the Sous Vide Dash app, plugin the meat and numbers info and see for yourself

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Leg of lamb can have a lot of connective tissue, I think? I'm guessing they vary depending on whether they want to gelatinize the connective tissue or not. Maybe unfurl it and trim as much sinew as you can find if you wanna go with a shorter cook time.

BTW remember to trim the inner fat. It's very prone to rancidity and smelling farty

Trimmed the inner fat and some CT, and just tossed it in at 131, it's going to get about 10-12 hours. Will report back.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No casual racism/sexism?

A group of us saw him like 4 years ago and never experienced this. The closest thing was him making fun of French chef snobbery but he prefaces it with why he thinks they're fair game (they gave him a really hard time).

However I did see this in the same event space that I saw Daniel Tosh standup so maybe :shrug:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am making sous vide creme brulee for tomorrow. It will be refrigerated. How long before serving should I take it our of the fridge so it can warm up a little? 1h?

Also: I made creme brulee with 8 egg yolks and then decided instead of wasting the whites I could fry them up. And I accidentally ate them as I was cooking other stuff. Lo and behold, I just ate 8 eggwhites.... and there will be steak later. Hello protein poisoning...

Merry Christmas everyone, serve your loved ones good food, bask in the envy of non-sous-fiddlers and have good time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The contractor doing some work on my house saw my circulator chugging away on a sirloin roast, and thought it was just defrosting. I explained the setup to him and he said "I have to go return my wife's Christmas present".

(Roast was just OK, not a magical transformation. 8hr at 140F, maybe longer next time?)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sirloin roast doesn't have a lot of connective tissue so I don't think it would benefit from cooking longer. Chefsteps says if you want medium rare (140F) their favorite results were from cooking it 6 hours

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hey guys real quick one.

I'm following this for my Christmas carrots: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html

Reckon I can just bang my parsnips in as well and do them identically to save me time and hob space? Cheers!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Chefsteps kinda suggests you can cook the same for parsnips:
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-carrots

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steve Yun posted:

Sirloin roast doesn't have a lot of connective tissue so I don't think it would benefit from cooking longer. Chefsteps says if you want medium rare (140F) their favorite results were from cooking it 6 hours

Yeah, that's true. 8 hours is when we ended up eating dinner, it wasn't carefully planned. I think I might go rarer next time.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

So my anova hosed itself on Christmas eve. The temp reported is wrong (200+ degrees vs 95) and it just beeps constantly.

gently caress.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Horse Clocks posted:

So my anova hosed itself on Christmas eve. The temp reported is wrong (200+ degrees vs 95) and it just beeps constantly.

gently caress.

This isn't a celsius/fahrenheit thing is it?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

95C is 203F...

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The large display was showing 200+ and the smaller was showing 60, while beeping constantly.

When pairing with the app, it said contact support.

After turning it off for a while, it seems fine, hope it can deal with a joint of lamb tomorrow. If not I may have to post-vizzle roast. With no meat thermometer as I'm in someone else's kitchen.

(Edit) she ded. https://imgur.com/a/EEhao

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 25, 2016

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I have some again gift cards and I'm looking to get into the sous vide game. Will something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXC28T6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_T7TyybVF2ZETM
serve as both a starting option and something I won't get frustrated with down the road if I really get into using it?

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 27, 2016

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I ended up making Kenji's porchetta for Christmas. 14 lbs worth of it. God drat it was good. I ended up doing it at 160 instead of 155 as someone said the fat didn't render that well for them and I think that was a good call. I went a few hours over 36 as well.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I found that plenty of fat had rendered at 155°, pulled spoonfuls of it from the sous vide bags and the meat was very nice. I'd worry about going higher as it might dry the meat out, though I take it that wasn't a problem.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Kodiak posted:

I found that plenty of fat had rendered at 155°, pulled spoonfuls of it from the sous vide bags and the meat was very nice. I'd worry about going higher as it might dry the meat out, though I take it that wasn't a problem.

Drying out a porchetta sous vide has got to take some serious dedication.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

baquerd posted:

Drying out a porchetta sous vide has got to take some serious dedication.

Sous vide will dry things out just fine, if the temp is too high. I wouldn't think just another 5° would do it, but then I'm doubtful it does much more for rendering fat either.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

rockcity posted:

I ended up making Kenji's porchetta for Christmas. 14 lbs worth of it. God drat it was good. I ended up doing it at 160 instead of 155 as someone said the fat didn't render that well for them and I think that was a good call. I went a few hours over 36 as well.

Well I have a new thing to make now. That looks amazing.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

lifts cats over head posted:

I have some again gift cards and I'm looking to get into the sous vide game. Will something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXC28T6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_T7TyybVF2ZETM
serve as both a starting option and something I won't get frustrated with down the road if I really get into using it?

It looks basically like all the other circulators, which are what everyone uses pretty much. Can't speak to the particular brand, and the clamp looks like it might have trouble with a cooler. Reviews seem fine so it probably won't set your house on fire. If you have some patience though, it seems like the Anova drops to $99 for a few days every month recently so if you want to hedge your bets, wait for that.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Maybe its because I never had an app so I didn't keep as close watch on my temps, but is it normal for (in an 8 qt stainless stockpot as a vessel) the temperature to swing +/-1.5ish degrees from your set temp? Just watching it try to settle at 167 it'll slowly inch up to 166.4 before jumping to 168.5 then as it steadily drops back towards 167 it'll jump again this time down to as low as 165.5. Is that just too small of a vessel to hold a temperature steady? This is with nothing in it, just preheating the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Something's probably wrong if it's fluctuating that much. The whole point of PID control is to avoid the jumping up and down you get with a thermostat. I've certainly never had that issue with my Anova in similar-sized vessels, although I usually use the Rubbermaid polycarbonate ones, and set them on a folded towel to insulate them from whatever surface they're on.