Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the point is that they don't have a straight up "you are never getting out" sentence

there's always a chance

The point is that it actually doesn't matter what they straight up say in Brevik's case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DeusExMachinima posted:

The point is that it actually doesn't matter what they straight up say in Brevik's case.

Only if you're the kind of moron who posts a thread about gun control so he can respond to every argument with NOPE CANT DO THAT because actual deabte is harder than writing polemics

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

And the point is he's the extreme case and he still isn't guaranteed a life sentence. He's in until he shows rehabilitation.

Funnily enough other mass murderers and child rapists who have done horrifically heinous poo poo have had life sentences and been released after 15 years of rehabilitation (or less!) from which we've yet to see recidivism.

By all means stroke your dick about the thought of gunning down convicts but the system in Scandinavia works and has executed infinitely less innocent victims than the American system. For one thing the death penalty is banned across European Union members.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Only if you're the kind of moron who posts a thread about gun control so he can respond to every argument with NOPE CANT DO THAT because actual deabte is harder than writing polemics

didn't tell me to kill myself 2/10

Tesseraction posted:

And the point is he's the extreme case and he still isn't guaranteed a life sentence. He's in until he shows rehabilitation.

Funnily enough other mass murderers and child rapists who have done horrifically heinous poo poo have had life sentences and been released after 15 years of rehabilitation (or less!) from which we've yet to see recidivism.

By all means stroke your dick about the thought of gunning down convicts but the system in Scandinavia works and has executed infinitely less innocent victims than the American system. For one thing the death penalty is banned across European Union members.

I'll be sure to think twice before I post half-serious questions about Europe bringing back executions after 10010 million years of ageless Breviks have covered the continent in prison complexes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DeusExMachinima posted:

didn't tell me to kill myself 2/10

I'll be sure to think twice before I post half-serious questions about Europe bringing back executions after 10010 million years of ageless Breviks have covered the continent in prison complexes.

Ladies and gentlemen DXM at his finest

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If we master the human body, murder will be nearly impossible!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

My point, Captain Handgun, is that we already have a system that works without taking into account immortality. You can argue that there will always be someone who never ever rehabilitates, but then I'd point out that in this thread that person is you.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tesseraction posted:

but the system in Scandinavia works and has executed infinitely less innocent victims than the American system.

Rare to see "infinitely less" as a kind of euphemism for "finitely fewer."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Come on, if this thread has a recidivist, it's Cingulate. :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

neongrey posted:

On the one hand I want to agree with you in order to defend my SA honor. But on the other I still have literally no idea what that guy was saying.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Rare to see "infinitely less" as a kind of euphemism for "finitely fewer."

You've found division by zero produces a finite number? Holy poo poo you've got the most revolutionary mathematical proof in the known universe!

Dude you need to submit this poo poo to academia ASAP loving hell

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

neongrey posted:

He's German, he's tried under the Christian Democrat model of forgiveness-if-white.

DeusExMachinima posted:

On the one hand I want to agree with you in order to defend my SA honor. But on the other I still have literally no idea what that guy was saying.

It's a joke about you lacking the ability to self-reflect. You not understanding it is an added bonus.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ladies and gentlemen DXM at his finest

For a minute I thought you were talking about the drug in cough syrup that teens get high on and I got real confused.

Tesseraction posted:

You've found division by zero produces a finite number? Holy poo poo you've got the most revolutionary mathematical proof in the known universe!

Dude you need to submit this poo poo to academia ASAP loving hell

I don't really agree with DeusExMachina but

quote:

By all means stroke your dick about the thought of gunning down convicts but the system in Scandinavia works and has executed infinitely less innocent victims than the American system.

is clearly subtraction, not division.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

DXM gon' give it to ya.

Before we slapfight this thread into oblivion (like mods exist in PYF amirite), let's see how Roosh V has been doing this year.

http://www.returnofkings.com/79234/the-alt-right-is-worse-than-feminism-in-attempting-to-control-male-sexual-behavior

quote:

I’ve gotten messages from hundreds of self-proclaimed members of the alt right who say I can’t be “in” their movement, even though I have never contributed for an alt right site or spoken at one of their functions. One man said I can only be a member if I don’t sleep with white women, and I’ve seen the mob attack other men who have non-white girlfriends. The alt right has gone from a possible political alternative to a frustrated mob that wants to control the sexual choices of all men. With whom have we encountered that before?

Feminism.

I can state right now that I didn’t fight feminism for the past ten years so that I can aid a movement that is their mirror image. I didn’t write a dozen books and hundreds of articles preaching on the sanctity of masculinity to help a movement that attempts to redefine consensual sex along the dystopian standard of the left while crushing the choices that men want to make, especially since race is not even close to being a defining factor for men looking for a suitable partner.

Somebody tell this guy to read Frankenstein. Might give him a heads up for how helping to create a monster ends.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the point is that they don't have a straight up "you are never getting out" sentence

there's always a chance

there's always a chance he might reform himself. A slim chance, but like you said, there's always a chance.

They imprison people to protect society, which includes the prisoners themselves. That's several levels above anything I'm used to, which is more "hammer of justice shall punish the wicked", they still call it "corrections system" as a cargo cult way if thinking they're people better.

Their convicted criminals living better than our poor and innocent doesn't suggest that their system is flawed, it suggests that ours is.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

TomViolence posted:

Then again these are the same sort of people who think we're going to go to space so maybe they don't see choking half the world with smog and drowning its remaining populace with melted ice cap runoff as being major long term problems.

I bet you thought you were exaggerating with that last. From LessWrong:

quote:

Eg., a year or so ago, a friend of mine in the Thiel-sphere proposed starting a new country by hauling nuclear power plants to Antarctica, and then just putting heaters on the ground to melt all the ice. As it happens, I think this is a stupid idea (hot air rises, so the newly heated air would just blow away, pulling in more cold air from the surroundings).

Yep, that's definitely the one aspect of this idea that's stupid. This was in the thread about CFAR pivoting to AI risk. Upvoted to +25.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

I don't really agree with DeusExMachina but

is clearly subtraction, not division.

Depends how you interpret - I was suggesting a ratio of 0 innocent victims of the Scandinavian system to <x> of the American system. The absolute value is undoubtedly a finite number but my point was that the Scandinavian system will produce 0 in perpetuity, thus causing an endlessly changing ratio (assuming neither system changes). Hence my X system v Y system being 'less' (implying ratio) instead of 'fewer' (implying numerical comparison).

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tesseraction posted:

Depends how you interpret - I was suggesting a ratio of 0 innocent victims of the Scandinavian system to <x> of the American system. The absolute value is undoubtedly a finite number but my point was that the Scandinavian system will produce 0 in perpetuity, thus causing an endlessly changing ratio (assuming neither system changes). Hence my X system v Y system being 'less' (implying ratio) instead of 'fewer' (implying numerical comparison).

You would still just say "100% less" then. I can see an argument for stating that the US executes infinitely more people, although that'd still be pretty dumb.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Syd Midnight posted:

there's always a chance he might reform himself. A slim chance, but like you said, there's always a chance.

They imprison people to protect society, which includes the prisoners themselves. That's several levels above anything I'm used to, which is more "hammer of justice shall punish the wicked", they still call it "corrections system" as a cargo cult way if thinking they're people better.

Their convicted criminals living better than our poor and innocent doesn't suggest that their system is flawed, it suggests that ours is.

Syd Midnight posted:

yeah absolutely, thats what im saying. the whole "well technically it's a life sentence" thing is missing the whole point of their system, which is rehabilitation not retribution

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Why is this conversation even happening.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Let's point and laugh at this instead:

http://slatestarscratchpad.tumblr.com/post/154827572901/you-wake-up-on-the-morning-on-the-20th-of-january

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

eschaton posted:

Remember that Eli's brother was murdered; there's a substantial underlying reason for his extreme attitude towards death.

Most people just go to a therapist instead of writing billion page Harry Potter fanfics and becoming obsessed with AI.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Improbable Lobster posted:

Most people just go to a therapist instead of writing billion page Harry Potter fanfics and becoming obsessed with AI.

He was into AI long before it happened.

I don't want to make fun of him for having a horrific tragedy happen to him and neither should anyone, really

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

ate all the Oreos posted:

For a minute I thought you were talking about the drug in cough syrup that teens get high on and I got real confused.

To be fair at the height of my DXM habit I didn't really make much sense on the internet either

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

DeusExMachinima posted:

DXM gon' give it to ya.

Before we slapfight this thread into oblivion (like mods exist in PYF amirite), let's see how Roosh V has been doing this year.

http://www.returnofkings.com/79234/the-alt-right-is-worse-than-feminism-in-attempting-to-control-male-sexual-behavior

Somebody tell this guy to read Frankenstein. Might give him a heads up for how helping to create a monster ends.

Sometimes, ya ain't half bad.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

my god

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I was about to ask if there are still rationalists defending Peter Thiel but then there he is as S. Alexander's commerce secretary.

The existential risk crew at least are leery of a dude enabling a president who's cavalier about climate change and nuclear war, right? Right? I know Yud at least is petrified of Trump's not being able to play the 'national security decision-making game' with minimal competence.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Peel posted:

I was about to ask if there are still rationalists defending Peter Thiel but then there he is as S. Alexander's commerce secretary.

The existential risk crew at least are leery of a dude enabling a president who's cavalier about climate change and nuclear war, right? Right? I know Yud at least is petrified of Trump's not being able to play the 'national security decision-making game' with minimal competence.

He's a literal fascist vampire, but he's also part of the grey tribe

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Why is this conversation even happening.

Because I need to justify the pile of student loan debt I got from studying math by arguing about subtraction on the internet, duh.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I think the "tee hee hee random black women tee hee hee" part is my favorite.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sax Solo posted:

I wonder if Scott realizes he's picked up the same lovely racist sense of humour that alt-right types - far-right shits have always had on the internet.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Sax Solo posted:

My favourite is 'solve everything about urban housing'

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fututor Magnus posted:

I wonder if Scott realizes he's picked up the same lovely racist sense of humour that alt-right types - far-right shits have always had on the internet.

I mean aside from the fact that he'd appoint a loving HBD hereditist eugenicist blogger in charge of the NIH, among other things.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
His "welfare czar" is the author of The Bell Curve, because Scott's a loving Nazi.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

My favourite is 'solve everything about urban housing'

By appointing Matt Yglasias, a man who knows about as much about housing as Grover.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pope Guilty posted:

His "welfare czar" is the author of The Bell Curve, because Scott's a loving Nazi.

It's a post-Trump election world, there's no need to hide it anymore.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

By appointing Matt Yglasias, a man who knows about as much about housing as Grover.

Just wait til my goon version of this post, featuring Caro as Secretary of Defense, Aatrek as Secretary of Education, and Landerig as Secretary of Chaotic Neutrality

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fututor Magnus posted:

What do you mean? That's totally normal humor that all thoughtful and witty people use, like me and all my friends. I know we're not racist, so you're clearly a mind-killed SJW trying to distract us with fnords.

(IE no, because he likes those people and thinks they're unfairly persecuted in our witch-hunt-happy society.)

Doc Hawkins has a new favorite as of 07:47 on Dec 24, 2016

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Perhaps Scott A is only a neo-nazi... on paper, which also happens to be the sole medium through which he communicates to a vast number of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"I'm a huge white nationalist...on paper" I'd the gift that keeps on giving