Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm pretty sure you can just copy/paste all your super deep modifications of CryEngine 3.7 over though, right? It probably only set them back a day or two and is in no way related to the immense lack of progress they've shown all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So anyway, is Amazon going to continue proactive development on Lumberyard to stay on edge with any new stuff NVidia, AMD and whoever else researches rendering tech? Or is this going to wither in maintenance mode?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

That Amazon sourced CryEngine for their open engine deal suggests to me that it's a feeler project. It's clearly a loss leader product. They're throwing spaghetti at a wall, and seeing what sticks. Amazon is such a huge massive operation that they could've rolled their own engine from scratch, if they really wanted to. The cost they spent on buying out CryEngine rights is a tiny investment for an entity that large trying to hook people into their cloud services.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

On request of @dsmart#8647 i shall leave this here

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Romes128 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Lumberyard

so there have been no games released using lumberyard?

cig switched engines to an unproven platform, with features (like gamelift, you know they're gonna use it cause they can't get their multiplayer poo poo sorted out) that haven't been implemented properly in any other game,

lmao

Maybe this is what they meant when they said they're doing groundbreaking poo poo? Everything else has been done before, better, after all.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
Star Citizen : Moved to Graveyard

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm pretty sure you can just copy/paste all your super deep modifications of CryEngine 3.7 over though, right? It probably only set them back a day or two and is in no way related to the immense lack of progress they've shown all year.
"Super deep" is probably poo poo caked on top, probably why it was ostensibly so easy to migrate. If CryEngine is so modular as it has been touted over all of its life, why would you even modify its core? What I've seen in that free play thing a while ago doesn't really look different than any other CryEngine based game. Maybe dynamic geometry generation, but that poo poo's only coming with 3.0, and CryEngine probably supported that already, anyway. CIG just talking things up to be more than they are. Like 9 year old kids on the bus arguing who has the better computer.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am confused why anyone thinks that Amazon would purchase or invest any amount of money into CIG. That is something that they simply don't do, at least in the world of computer games. AWS is already well known with high level clients and is a leader in the field. They don't need to invest in anyone to get "the word out". The worst possible customer for your cloud service is a company you own. Cloud services generate their income from those who utilize it, so it is not ideal to also own the customer, unless they are making a ton of money. The best possible cloud customers are ones that utilize a lot of services, are well known, and totally independant. Like Snapchat and Spotify.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

XK posted:

It's not even clear what Amazon's active involvement in this is. CIG literally could've just grabbed Lumberyard and ran with it, using Amazon's public terms, without any real active role on Amazon's part.

I don't believe that's what happened. I can't imagine there wasn't some kind of arrangement made.

However, Amazon hasn't said a word. Not a press release, a single sentence of acknowledgement, or even a CIG logo on any Lumberyard oriented pages.

God forbid, if someone at Amazon made any kind of deal with CIG where CIG gets money from Amazon, that person should be fired, and I want their job.

Amazon just wants the AWS deal in case StarCitizen is successful. They basically competing with Google and taking StarCitizen from google is a win for them. They have no interest in helping CIG with their game or even implementing special features for it. Amazon is in the Engine business to sell AWS licenses not to deliver a good engine.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Show of hands, who's really surprised?

I'm not surprised, but I am still very much amused.

Merry Chrismas and a happy new engine, everyone.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

And they still don't seem to understand that the 140M$ is not profit, it's a liability. I seriously doubt there are many companies that would be interested in taking on a 140M loss by buying a company with essentially no assets. The IP certainly isn't worth it.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

alphabettitouretti posted:

Isn't it just GameLift that's not suitable for MMOs? They can still use AWS (that's separate from the GameLift feature, no?) or their own servers (but then that's an expensive proposition).

Yes. GameLift is designed for dynamic server allocation (Star Marine, PU instances). You use regular AWS services to host stuff like authentication, ship/item purchases, player data, etc. There's no reason why a GameLift server couldn't request data from a persistent server. Some of the posters are just confused by the distinction.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, gamelift is exactly what they need for the game they pitched during kickstarter.

Not the game they advertised in the last 4 years, but definitely the game they pitched.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Risc1911 posted:

Amazon is in the Engine business to sell AWS licenses not to deliver a good engine.

Exactly. On the terms of how much service they sell to professional enterprises, CIG is a drop in the bucket. However, it is, potentially, a start to in-roads of game hosting. Amazon doesn't give a poo poo about CIG, they only care about building a portfolio of hosting games.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen : Lumberyard Shift.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

XK posted:

Exactly. On the terms of how much service they sell to professional enterprises, CIG is a drop in the bucket. However, it is, potentially, a start to in-roads of game hosting. Amazon doesn't give a poo poo about CIG, they only care about sweet royalties and customer lists for ad suppliers.

Also, those 70 dollar missles don't even work right. People still buy them though, HOPING ONE DAY THEY WILL.

not a cult.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Well, y'know that real history has never been the most favoured subject of Shitizens. If they can re-write it, they'll try.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/is-derek-smart-right.2493837/page-18

JSt0rm posted:

Just a couple pages back I said they should switch engines.

"They didn't switch engines. Lumberyard is still CryEngine. It has some custom tools, and it comes with a hearty integration to use AWS. That's it."

JSt0rm posted:

a lot of people thought they never did the 64bit port and just made everyone a miniature. This would make sense as to why they can make this kind of switch quickly.

Thats some open development to sell a bunch of stuff over a "sale" and then break the news xmas eve basically with hardly a notification.

----------

"First, that's nonsense. If you make the models smaller it doesn't magically solve your problems. As you get very far from the origin you will still lose precision in the same ratio to the model regardless of size. Smaller models mean you need more precision to keep them from looking jittery and to keep items mounted to them. You may not have to go as far away, but you need more precision so it results in the same issues. That's just how floating point works.

Second, they apparently have been working on this for a little while and is part of what held up 2.6. It is relatively quick because it's still CryEngine and they were able to copy and paste the majority of the modifications.

And why would we need a notification ahead of time for them to tell us that? They had said before they had an announcement to make with 2.6. However, you act like this is bad news. AWS is superior to Google Cloud, so this is a good move. They keep the work they've been doing, have a more reliable engine partner than Crytek, and they get deep AWS integration. All in the same engine their engineers are used to working in. Win win.

Edit:. Here's a CIG dev on it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5k06v9/letter_from_the_chairman_26_lumberjack/dbktfe6

Pretty close. StarEngine was based on CryEngine 3.7 (last big integration) with cherry picked changes from CryEngine 3.8 (mainly some Animation/Serialization fixes/improvements). The Lumberyard builds we used had the same CryEngine 3.7 base with the main changes on the Editor/Tools side. We heavily changed or have completely rewritten CPU/GPU side rendering, memory management, multithreading, entity/game object handling + added tons of engine features wich neither CryEngine nor Lumberyard have. Everything else is relatively easy to merge, thanks to the same code base + adding independent Lumberyard only features is straightforward too, especially with the help of Amazon developers. We are pretty good at handling the rest of the old CryEngine codebase, which CryEngine, Lumberyard and StarEngine have in common, ourselves ;)"

----------

Just as predicted. It's still CryEngine 3.x, so the switch over is relatively quick, despite CIG's own statement that they've been working on the change for a year.

It's just really stunning how quickly claims of their extensively modified engine are tossed aside in order to say that Amazon's custom branch of 3.8.1 is almost the same.

The main changes were on the "Editor/Tools side", I thought the editors and tools were part of the amazing CIG developments.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LIayZCLNUg

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5k2ppe/very_informative_presentation_about_the/

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016
Thought they would go for a usable engine, not another cryengine poo poo

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Also, a lot of people are having trouble finding controls for the gamepad, here is a official chart!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3861vr62a0bie2/SC2_6_KeyboardMappings_v1.pdf?dl=0

Here are the 3 pages of keybindings too, just in case you need them.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Lumberyard is a big win for CIG, AWS integration with minimal dev time cost?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

XK posted:

Lumberyard is branched from CryEngine 3.8.1, until someone shows me different.

That is Cryengine 5.

Crytek has been using 3.4, 3.5, 3.8, etc internally the whole time. "Cryengine 3, 4, and 5" have all been 3.X versions.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Lime Tonics posted:

Also, a lot of people are having trouble finding controls for the gamepad, here is a official chart!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3861vr62a0bie2/SC2_6_KeyboardMappings_v1.pdf?dl=0

Here are the 3 pages of keybindings too, just in case you need them.

I'm the 7 functions on the right analog stick, and the 6 functions on the up d-pad.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

MeLKoR posted:

This time of year my heart goes out to everyone that was unfortunate enough to be born in a country with poo poo pastries (ie: foreigners).

It would be callous of me to wish you a Merry Christmas knowing all too well that you'll be spending this holiday chewing on some concoction made with table scraps and trash and dreaming of a nice hay bale. As such I'll spare you that indignity and instead just post a few images so that you may feel some modicum of happiness, even if vicariously.

Os bolos de natal são uma merda lol

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

That is Cryengine 5.

Crytek has been using 3.4, 3.5, 3.8, etc internally the whole time. "Cryengine 3, 4, and 5" have all been 3.X versions.

They've taken inspiration from CIG's version numbering? It seems 4 was almost completely skipped, like with MS and Windows 8 -> 10. Did they have a 4 release?

So, is CryEngine 5 the same as 3.8.1? I'm just looking for a solid answer, because the version numbering claims I'm seeing seem a little shady, but I keep seeing 3.8x as being where Lumberyard branched.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

What is this food? I'm very intrigued.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Then again the whole thing could just be their discount with Google drying up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

All those changes quoted up in XK's post seem to be the large core parts of an engine, might as well roll your own.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Furthermore

https://aws.amazon.com/gamelift/faq/

quote:

Q. What types of game genres are recommended for use with Amazon GameLift?
Amazon GameLift is designed to support session-based games with game loops that begin and end within a specified time period. Typically, these are multiplayer games in genres like first person shooters, MOBAs, fighting, racing, or sports. Amazon GameLift is not designed to support games with persistent worlds that never reset, such as MMOs or sandbox games. Amazon GameLift is also not designed to support asynchronous turn-based multiplayer designs that are often used for mobile or social games.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lumbryo

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Well, now it's clear why they had to reset every round.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tweaked it a bit but thanks for perfecting the new thread title.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Holy poo poo CIG does it again. Especially nice is that they only felt compelled to say anything about it after people brought it up from being on the game screens. Someone competent would have timed the letter from the chairman to launch the moment 2.6 was available. Though really someone actually competent would not have to switch engine after 5 years and a hundred and thirty million dollars worth of game development.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Did Lumberyard really only show up on the loading screens with 2.6 live? If it wasn't there on any of the evocati or PTU builds, that's shady as gently caress.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

XK posted:

They've taken inspiration from CIG's version numbering? It seems 4 was almost completely skipped, like with MS and Windows 8 -> 10. Did they have a 4 release?

So, is CryEngine 5 the same as 3.8.1? I'm just looking for a solid answer, because the version numbering claims I'm seeing seem a little shady, but I keep seeing 3.8x as being where Lumberyard branched.

Ben Parry over on the Frontier forums says

"Was under the impression Lumberyard was based on 3.8.1.
Either way, the difference between 3.8 and 5.0 is branding (it's like Windows 8 -> Windows 10)"

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

XK posted:

What is this food? I'm very intrigued.

Egg threads, very popular in both Spain/Portugal: https://easyportugueserecipes.com/fios-de-ovos/

You can use it standalone or mix it up with other foods, including savory such as ham.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I wonder if CIG would've bothered with releasing that statement if Amazon didn't require the Lumberyard logo to be displayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
It seems like this move makes it more likely that "a game" will come out, but less likely that DREAMS will happen. Or am I missing something?