Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

So, did this ceremony happen before or after he was laid?

Yes, this is what every woman wants, to gently caress a guy then have him force you to marry him. This is good and healthy. This is romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!
It's All Right Chief Dharma

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Yes, this is what every woman wants, to gently caress a guy then have him force you to marry him. This is good and healthy. This is romance.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (November 30, 1951)

Nancy (January 14, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (September 13, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (October 12, 1923)

Lil' Abner (June 11, 1937)

Barney Google (October 13, 1922)

Alley Oop (January 12, 1934)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The slumping, defeated posture of the mom bums me out. Her dumb kids, which she tries so much to love, endlessly spout nonsense, yet she can't bring herself to rebuke them. She's like the anti-Lynn.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Some Guy TT posted:

Haha, it's K-Plop!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

I hope Gerald Ford was able to negotiate a good deal on his Mustang lease.
It's weird they have that blank there. I wonder if they left it blank to fill it in later and forgot, or if they had the wrong name there originally, or if it's a statement all on its own.

F Minus is ominous

Mary Worth

She's going to read this email, feel guilty, and break up with this young guy.

Rex Morgan MD

"Besides, I should check on that other kid of ours. You know...what's his name. Notsarah. Michael Notsarah."

Secret Agent X-9

You tell that Dunphy, Ms Nicol!

Apartment 3-G

"That displeases my moustachioed face!"

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

She's going to read this email, feel guilty, and break up with this young guy.

When does the sun set in Antarctica near the end of December?

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/antarctica/belgrano-ii-base?month=2&year=2017

Oh, depending where he is down there, February or March.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm dying, Chief Dharma is the best. Thank you for posting and translating!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Ralph Crammed In posted:

The slumping, defeated posture of the mom bums me out. Her dumb kids, which she tries so much to love, endlessly spout nonsense, yet she can't bring herself to rebuke them. She's like the anti-Lynn.

There was a Family Circus some time back that I remember vividly. Mom had just taken all the kids out to get ice cream, but the baby PJ had dropped his ice cream cone and was upset. One of the older boys was saying, "Don't cry, PJ! Mommy will give you her ice cream cone!" And she was just standing there holding her ice cream with that same defeated look on her face and you could tell that she'd been really looking forward to that ice cream, just one simple happy thing in her day, and goddammit, now she'd have to give it to the toddler, because of course that's what you have to do in this situation.

And I felt so bad for her and I thought, "Yeah. That's what motherhood is all about. Sacrificing yourself for the good of the children. Thank God I don't have kids."

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

That middle panel. :allears:

Big Ben Bolt

:mad:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait wait wait wait wait, hold on.

loving Antarctica? What in every level of hell is he doing in Antarctica?

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait, hold on.

loving Antarctica? What in every level of hell is he doing in Antarctica?

Writing about adventures, duh.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

:mad:

Might as well fill these in from the newspaper archives.

Big Ben Bolt 08/27/56-09/01/56

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set probably doesn't have to worry too much about college, if you know what I'm sayin'.

Working Daze dreams small.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix pulls back the curtain.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Really feeling the continuity in Super Fun Pak today.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

:argh:

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

WickedHate posted:

Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

OK, I submit. What the gently caress are these. Are they actually in physical print? Who is the target audience, like, native Japanese people or foreigners living in japan or just generally people who have a passing interest in Japan? Am I missing cultural references or are they just monkeycheese?

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

I know it's bad form to question Boyce's special mind, but.. is that supposed to be a line of pine needles on the ground? Maybe there's a joke in there after all?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

RolandTower posted:

OK, I submit. What the gently caress are these. Are they actually in physical print? Who is the target audience, like, native Japanese people or foreigners living in japan or just generally people who have a passing interest in Japan? Am I missing cultural references or are they just monkeycheese?

I think they're cute

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

If this turns into Mary Worth Meets The Thing I will probably burst from joy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RolandTower posted:

Yes, Japanese people(they're translated[not by me]), and both, though I try to explain what cultural references I spot. Honey Come Chatka in particular is a parody of Japanese idols.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ms Boods posted:

If this turns into Mary Worth Meets The Thing I will probably burst from joy.

Mary Worth and Walter Brimley tied to a couch as Kurt Russel tests their blood with a hot wire.

Will it be a Christmas miracle :ohdear:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg™

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That doesn't even make sense, Gilchrist. That's not a joke.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
A medieval tradition, actually.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_singers

My favorite part is that competing youth gangs would get into territorial fights because only the first group to show at a doorstep would be paid. Imagine dobbelgangers dressed as King Herode and others larping with wooden swords trying to wreck the other team's props! I would pay to see that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Imitation, or puppetry? Ballard Street.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Kennel posted:

[b]Nancy

When I read Nancy, I lose hope. I don't gain it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (September 26-28, 1929)

Peanuts (December 24-25, 1969)

Funky-rear end Fake Suicide Story Wrap-up

Marianne looks so much like Summer Moore (you know, one of the major characters that doesn't show up anymore!) that I want to punch a certain artist for not knowing how to draw another type of dark-haired woman.

Also, just to underscore with 64 type font: She honestly thought her career was over after giving a guy a peck on the cheek. Is she Amish or something?

Also also....Is Marilyn Monroe really a great role model for having a long life in Hollywood?

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (February 24-25, 1930)

Thimble Theater (July 12 and 14, 1930)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't believe it, as cannonballs are solid balls of iron or stone and don't contain explosives or anything that would make them 'live' rounds like bullets or shells are.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
In Japan, an idol of the type Honey Come Chatka parodies was forced to make an apology video shaving off her hair in atonement for the scandal of having a boyfriend. It wasn't even adultery or anything, they're just expected to be pure virgin barbie dolls for the otaku audience to fantasize themselves with. So, clearly, Funky Winkerbean needs a setting shift.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

I don't believe it, as cannonballs are solid balls of iron or stone and don't contain explosives or anything that would make them 'live' rounds like bullets or shells are.

WaPo link. Civil War cannons did sometimes use explosive projectiles, though I guess you could make arguments either way as to whether they should be called "cannonballs". Ripley's still not quite right, though, because it sounds like they were unearthed by the storm rather than washed ashore.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ghostlight posted:

Not everyone knows the difference between old cannon balls and old artillery shells, okay?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail Meets the Art of Inadvertently Calling out Its Own Bullshit

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

I was pretty excited while grabbing my first three strips that I might get away without a Christmas entry. Sadly, I didn't make it. Fortunately, it was the best case variation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Meets the Art of Inadvertently Calling out Its Own Bullshit

The gently caress is this perspective. They're in a tiny boat but it looks like they're standing on a tall cliff standing far apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Grogquock posted:

I know it's bad form to question Boyce's special mind, but.. is that supposed to be a line of pine needles on the ground? Maybe there's a joke in there after all?
Yes, the joke is that even thought he's shopping for a tree online, pine needles wind up on his floor. It's not the best joke, but it's comprehensible.

F Minus

*cue Back to the Future theme*

Mary Worth

*cue that song from An American Tail*

Rex Morgan MD

Get well soon, Carrie Fisher. :(

Secret Agent X-9

"I mean his cab-in."

Apartment 3-G

"I need to develop my Johnson!"

• Locked thread