Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
why work on worlds adrift when you can work on surgeon simulator VR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
NDA is lifted, here my story: I played for ten minutes and didn't know what the gently caress to do.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My similar experiences were a good reminder not to sign up for testing games.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ElBrak posted:

NDA is lifted, here my story: I played for ten minutes and didn't know what the gently caress to do.
:laffo: I guess thats normal for an alpha where you cant talk to anyone

Digital Decay
Dec 16, 2007
Reiteration #6,637,776,216
Most people probably stopped playing after 10 minutes. They might play longer if they actually met other players. It was sad to see so many unfinished ships while I was island hopping. Majority of those constructions were just frame + helm + core. Not even a sail. I think people who stuck around longer were schematic/knowledge/fashion hunting and you don't really need a ship for that in the alpha.

To find out whether or not you're alone on an island, listen for rumbling and look out for screenshake. These two signs mean someone on your island is blowing up rocks while harvesting metal somewhere out of sight. On the other hand if you want to be stealthy, just take care to avoid blowing up rocks while gathering mats.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Played a bit in alpha 4, haven't logged into the latest. Spent a couple hours figuring out the finicky ship building interface and then had my ship stolen before I got to fly it because there's no way to lock ships. Spent the next few hours pissing in the cornflakes of others with ridiculously OP C4. The only non-loseable progression are the recipes you learn but you will rarely use them because ships take a shitton of mats to build. Devs are vehemently opposed to the entire concept of safe spaces, so it's a griefers paradise.

Grappling hook is pretty fun though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

You can't even lock doors and chests? :wtc:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think there are some anti-theft measures you can take

but it's a game about sky piracy, get ready to gain and lose ships, fortunes, etc

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Did this game get delayed yet?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I thought it got Delayed a while back which isn't bad in this case.

I like the overall design, but hope they can make more of a "game" out of it.

I messed around a few playtest back for a few hours. Made a flyable boat and traveled to a few islands. (Make sure you bring enough fuel). Overall it would be fun with friends, but they need to have some premade destinations and maybe random treasure islands with NPC's guarding them so you can fight your way in for the loot for your ship or something.

Still has a long way to go, but the art style, grappling around once you figure out how it works, and traveling to new islands is pretty neat.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I know the island creator lets you place treasure on your islands now, but I don't think you can place enemies.

A lot of the old islands that made it into the game probably didn't get treasure re-edited into them though.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Aren't some of the islands also procedurally generated too?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I think so? Honestly I've screwed around with the builder but I never got into the tests. The builder definitely has the features that would let them randomly generate islands en masse.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how goes the alpha, alpha players

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Made a boat, added some rare cannons but I can't research ammo for them yet. Fell to my death shitloads of times. Wings and wall panels like to freak out like Skyrim cabbages and randomly murder you. Crew respawner first, small box second to store stuff you're not using right away. I have a recording from my twitch stream if anyone wants.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Shalhavet posted:

Wings and wall panels like to freak out and randomly murder you. I have a recording from my twitch stream if anyone wants.
:yeah:

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
https://www.twitch.tv/therealbeepl/v/111034050

You can safely skip probably like the first hour after I fall to my death, it's mostly running around and trying to build something.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is still pretty dece when i play

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
As long as they give me more than just build a ship, fly said ship and fight over the ship I will be more than happy to throw some money at them.

I know that you need to discover crafting blueprints in the game not through level up so there's that but I feel like they will need 1 or 2 more activities to keep the game interesting.

Like if you could be an archeologist and re learn how to read the hieroglyphs you could figure out the back story of the world and get cosmetic treasure for your ship and character to show that you made the effort.

Or if they added more creatures other than the sky Ray and whale like sharks and schooling fish and giant birds and dragon's to spice up the pve experience a bit so players arnt the only hazard in the world.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Just got an email saying Im in the playtest on thursday. Are there any other goons in, ways to meet up in game etc?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Now that you mention it I got one also. I had stopped checking

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Got mine as well but as a denizen of Eurolandian Moonkingdoms our timezones probably won't match up much

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Somehow my island got in the game but I still haven't.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
I'm in as well. And European. Time to get a channel on the SA Discord or start our Discord server?

Edit: It also seems each person selected will get an extra key for a friend. I might bring some friends from outside SA and otherwise, will be posting my key here.

Edit 2: Correction, will be giving my key away here. Since I'm not sure if the forum can be seen by non-members atm and I don't want some random lurker grabbing it instead of a goon.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yea do it over PMs if that's your goal, keys posted openly are almost always grabbed by outsiders or lurkers

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pavlov posted:

Somehow my island got in the game but I still haven't.

wow thats rude as h*ck

is it the one with the hand?

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Yeah, I just got this too. Someone who knows about this crap should set up a discord.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I guess this is their first stress test

1. Did Pavlov get a friend key yet

2. Is :v: Alliance Leader Alexander DeLarge :v: gonna be around for this or should we set up a temp group?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 17, 2017

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm interested in testing stuff

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

It looks like the WA channel was removed from SA discord due to inactivity so I'm setting up a new one with the old guild logo

:discourse:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

wow thats rude as h*ck

is it the one with the hand?

Yeah the hand one. I only know because someone commented on the workshop page that they found the island in a test and some of the items were screwy.

It's not the dev's fault though, the account for signing up for the alpha isn't connected to my steam account.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I'll shoot you my extra key if no one else does

"Slam Whales" discord is up with a basic invite setup (since the last one was raided by EVE spergs)

:siren: https://discord.gg/7cbMuVe :siren:

Post your discord name here after joining so I can confirm you

Jackard fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 18, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Sure I'll take the key. PM me.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I'll be joining yall for fun and sun in the skies of broken earthia.

Digital Decay
Dec 16, 2007
Reiteration #6,637,776,216
Might have a key sometime Thursday.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im tollymain

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Because Jackard is rightfully paranoid.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

Fuggin crazy paranoid nerds. I'm the spai in discord, obviously.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I'm re-creating the World's Adrift on SA Discord, and adding corresponding voice support. If anyone wants channel operator to pin info and what not, just let me know. :wooper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

Kimsemus posted:

I'm re-creating the World's Adrift on SA Discord, and adding corresponding voice support. If anyone wants channel operator to pin info and what not, just let me know. :wooper:

Discord's already up and running. I'd link, but I'm phone posting.

Should be somewhere earlier on the page.