Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Haters Back Off! which is very polarizing. I personally find this kind of humor very fresh and fun, and i think, and this is just speculation, that you're SUPPOSED to hate Miranda and relate to Emily.

It's short at just 8 episodes but frankly just the right length for this. I can see it dragging its feet if it went to 13 or 22 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dream Corp LLC is criminally short. I wish both the episode length and episode number was doubled.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Binging on Dirk Gently and really enjoying it. Can't remember the last show that exceeded my expectations (which were extremely low) by this much. I'm a fan of the books and had been warned these were only vaguely based on a similar premise rather than actually being any kind of adaptation and while this is true (except for one or two story beats) it succeeds as it's own thing anyway. The titular Dirk (who is not really the main character) is pretty overbearing and annoying at first, they're really going for David Tennant's Dr Who turned up to eleven. He's grown on me though and now he's annoying in an endearing way. Some revelations in episode 5 or 6 made his character a little more interesting as well. Everyone else is pretty good.

It's pretty violent, but not in a brutal HBO kind of way, more like Edgar Wright stuff with a lot of surprise extreme violence played for laughs. I have no idea where it's going or how much they'll tie it together by the end of the (8 episode) season, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I was pleasantly surprised by Dirk Gently. I haven't read the books but (no spoilers) it really ties itself together in the end, answering the main questions of the season while still leaving some interesting overarching ones for future seasons. Excited to see where they go with it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Its the Christmas Season so time to rewatch Morel Orel. Time to watch some Nature!

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i just finished the OA, and even though it did go downhill towards the end i still thought it was enjoyable / pretty good :)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Usually I think the TV output from Europe is poo poo. I say this as a Swede myself... We just don't have the infrastructure and networks available to do HBO level TV shows yet - plus all our talent goes to the American industry anyway

BUT, the italian show "Gomorrah" is probably the best attempt I've seen yet. It has issues and it took about half the 1st season before I started understanding where the show was going to go but it has been a super solid show throughout. I definitely recommend it if

1 - You don't mind subtitles
2 - You are interested in organized crime

I also personally like that every single person on the show is an unrelenting piece of human garbage, this becoming especially clear as the show goes on. The show makes no excuses for anyone

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Well there's been good stuff from the UK, like Sherlock, Luther, Black Mirror originally...

But yeah, Gomorrah is a really good show y'all.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The two shows I found myself getting surprise-hooked on in recent years were European: The Bridge (Danish/Swedish) and Miraculous (French). And they've both got more seasons confirmed, so :toot: .

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Real Humans (Äkta människor, the swedish show Humans is based on) was pretty good and I prefer it to the British version. Well, at least season 1, which is amazing. Then it kinda goes downhill, but still the first season is so good I still recommend it.

Its pretty similar to Humans in plot and characters, but it focus more on the social, cultural and moral and implications of the humanoid robots. There's some pretty obvious and uncomfortable parallels between the robots and immigrants workers, which is almost absent in the UK version and its pretty interesting

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ive enjoyed watching Mr Robot season 2 a lot, but looking back it really was kinda slow and it did ended without providing much answers and without finishing what it started

I dont agree that the writing is bad, but it does feels like the plot in season 2 was really kinda stretched. It felt like a 12 episodes interlude, dealing with the consequences of what happened s1 and preparing for what is gonna happen in s3. The prison trick was well done, but at the end of it Elliot is just where he started, and some things, like the deep web plot, does feel like filler
The deep web plot put Elliot in a position where he had to bring Mr. Robot back out to survive, so it served a purpose. Season 1's subplot with the neighbor girl and the drug dealer felt more like filler to me.

Is Goliath worth getting into? I don't know much about it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

sticklefifer posted:

Is Goliath worth getting into? I don't know much about it.
Goliath is pretty great imho. Billy Bob Thornton as a drunken Erin Brockovich, in Florida - which is the only place a pondscum of a character like him could live (he's pretty much Bad Santa, except if Bad Santa had once been a major star who fell off the tracks). Things get weird quickly, and I can't wait for season 2.

I think the DUI scene where he was giving his daughter a ride home sold it for me as being interesting - and there's no spoilers in me mentioning that because it was all a set-up.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 27, 2016

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

pigdog posted:

Well there's been good stuff from the UK, like Sherlock, Luther, Black Mirror originally...

I agree, but I've lost a lot of trust in British TV because so few of these nice looking, well cast shows seem to have any staying power. The super short seasons (sorry, "series") seem like they'd give the writers and producers more time to turn out a quality product and keep things consistent, but a lot of great British shows seem to only make it a year or two (like six episodes), before the quality drops off precipitously, plots start making weird left turns, and the cast becomes a revolving door as actors leave and new people get introduced. It often feels like the creators only had plans for the first limited run and then when they get picked up again they have no idea what the gently caress to do (which, given how UK productions work, might actually be what's happening).

Are there good British "prestige" shows that start good and actually stay good? Because I got burned on Sherlock and several others and now I'm leery of the whole island's TV industry. I know some brit coms like Black Adder and IT Crowd have managed to stay good across several series (though it seems like most either die young or go the Red Dwarf route and become wildly inconsistent with constant retooling) and I do like Poirot/Marple and some the other long-running whodunnits (they're great to watch with my mom), but it seems like Britain's thoughtful dramas have a nasty habit of turning into glorified soap operas in very little time at all.

e: Also, how does Luther play out, quality wise? I only watched the first episode and thought the acting was good, but the characters and situations were pretty overwrought.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 27, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Duckbag posted:

e: Also, how does Luther play out, quality wise? I only watched the first episode and thought the acting was good, but the characters and situations were pretty overwrought.

You answered own question.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I went from loving S1 of Luther to still not watching S4 because S3 sucked.

Oh no, Luther's in a jam! *Poof* Out pops his magic murder pixie to get him out of it!

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 27, 2016

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Aww nuts. I wanted to like it because I love Idris Elba, but I'm pretty burnt out on cop shows anyway and I really don't like it when everyone on a show seems to be either an rear end in a top hat or an idiot (I couldn't handle Mad Men either). I was hoping they got more nuanced later.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

Payndz posted:

The two shows I found myself getting surprise-hooked on in recent years were European: The Bridge (Danish/Swedish) and Miraculous (French). And they've both got more seasons confirmed, so :toot: .

The Bridge is pretty cool. Saga is a great character.

The European show I enjoyed this year was Bedrag, from Denmark. Pretty cool financial thriller, if that's a thing. And it has my favorite Danish actor that isn't Mads Mikkelsen, Nikolaj Lie Kaas.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I got an email earlier saying Netflix put up The Magicians. Decent? I enjoyed the first book although it was a long time ago. I don't I bothered much after that, I want to say the fantasy land part put me off but as I said, a long time ago, who knows. Still juggling other shows. Not really sure if I like iZombie. It's made okay, and I see how it can be enjoyable, just not in the mood for that sort of thing I guess. On maybe episode 3 or so of Gamorra, it's good but I feel like it's a show you can get too much of at once, however it probably needs more time to get even better from what I've read about it. Probably about to binge through some of it anyway in a minute, but that Magicians thing piqued my interest.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I think I got an email earlier saying Netflix put up The Magicians. Decent? I enjoyed the first book although it was a long time ago. I don't I bothered much after that, I want to say the fantasy land part put me off but as I said, a long time ago, who knows. Still juggling other shows. Not really sure if I like iZombie. It's made okay, and I see how it can be enjoyable, just not in the mood for that sort of thing I guess. On maybe episode 3 or so of Gamorra, it's good but I feel like it's a show you can get too much of at once, however it probably needs more time to get even better from what I've read about it. Probably about to binge through some of it anyway in a minute, but that Magicians thing piqued my interest.

Starts a bit wobbly, hits the big time around half way through, the end is great.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Just finished The OA last night. Its incredibly good, best thing I saw in TV this year

People here said they were disappointed by the ending, I found it amazing. Ive really cried at final that scene at school

Its really hard to describe it without spoilers, but I say it reminds me in some ways of "Sound of my Voice" (a movie also written and starred by Brit Marling)

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Elias_Maluco posted:

Just finished The OA last night. Its incredibly good, best thing I saw in TV this year

People here said they were disappointed by the ending, I found it amazing. Ive really cried at final that scene at school

Its really hard to describe it without spoilers, but I say it reminds me in some ways of "Sound of my Voice" (a movie also written and starred by Brit Marling)

i did enjoy the ending, but i do think for some people it's a bit of a case of expecting one thing and getting another. i was super hyped up for it to be something different.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lovechop posted:

i did enjoy the ending, but i do think for some people it's a bit of a case of expecting one thing and getting another. i was super hyped up for it to be something different.

That's what I liked it so much.

The series builds to something weird, something really weird.

And then its not, is just mundane and sad, a broken person making up crazy poo poo to an audience of sad lonely people, like I was kinda expecting to be. And then... it explodes into something cathartic out of nowhere, something at the same time fantastic and believable. And you are left wondering about the whole thing, if it was about a miracle, or "alternate dimensions", or just crazyness and an absurd coincidence, or what, just like those kids are going to be wondering the rest of their lives

And the school shooting scene is so perfect. The movements are loving ridiculous and yet when they get up and start performing, there is such a dramatic energy, its was so unexplainably beautiful, it made me cry like a baby to the end of the episode

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 28, 2016

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Duckbag posted:

Aww nuts. I wanted to like it because I love Idris Elba, but I'm pretty burnt out on cop shows anyway and I really don't like it when everyone on a show seems to be either an rear end in a top hat or an idiot (I couldn't handle Mad Men either). I was hoping they got more nuanced later.

For UK TV I would strongly recommend short-run miniseries rather than ongoing series, which are not our strong suit. British TV is written more akin to films, i.e. there's typically only one or two writers involved, which often means a great first run for drama and comedies that usually peak a couple of series in, and then the dropoff you've been noticing as they simply run out of good ideas.

Also I know this probably isn't what you want to hear exactly but how far did you get in Mad Men? Because if you can make it through the first few episodes the characters flourish into much more vulnerable and ultimately endearing human beings, if still deeply flawed. It's honestly about the most nuanced characterisations of an ensemble cast ever committed to TV. If you still felt that way after a whole season, though, I guess forget it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I just caught up on the Yuri!!! on Ice dub, and it's quite amazing. I highly recommend it, with the caveats that it is both anime and gay, which may turn off some people. It's definitely worth the watch.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Senerio posted:

I just caught up on the Yuri!!! on Ice dub, and it's quite amazing. I highly recommend it, with the caveats that it is both anime and gay, which may turn off some people. It's definitely worth the watch.

I know so many people who couldn't give less of a poo poo about anime of any kind, yet are suddenly obsessed with this show. I wonder how the hell that happened.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I started watching "Travelers" on Netflix this week. Is there a thread for this show? Has anyone else been watching it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People have been discussing it extensively in the general TV thread

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

GimpChimp posted:

For UK TV I would strongly recommend short-run miniseries rather than ongoing series, which are not our strong suit. British TV is written more akin to films, i.e. there's typically only one or two writers involved, which often means a great first run for drama and comedies that usually peak a couple of series in, and then the dropoff you've been noticing as they simply run out of good ideas.

Thanks, I'll do that. What's some good miniseries to go for?

quote:

Also I know this probably isn't what you want to hear exactly but how far did you get in Mad Men? Because if you can make it through the first few episodes the characters flourish into much more vulnerable and ultimately endearing human beings, if still deeply flawed. It's honestly about the most nuanced characterisations of an ensemble cast ever committed to TV. If you still felt that way after a whole season, though, I guess forget it.

I only got like 5 or 6 episodes in and thought it had great acting and production values but still basically felt like a soap opera with slightly better dialog. Also, all that "man, the sixties were a different time, weren't they?" crap was super on-the-nose and in many cases didn't ring true at all. I should probably give it a second chance, but I'm not really sure it's for me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I think I got to four episodes in with Mad Men and realised that I loathed every character, finding them a bunch of repellent, irredeemable shits; there wasn't a single one that I wanted to see succeed, or even spend another minute with. It was a real disappointment, because I loved the idea of the show. I guess I was hoping for more Roger O Thornhill than Don Draper.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Mad Men is so loving overrated and boring, the last few seasons especially

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

showbiz_liz posted:

I know so many people who couldn't give less of a poo poo about anime of any kind, yet are suddenly obsessed with this show. I wonder how the hell that happened.

The gay, most likely. It's a cute show and I love it quite a bit. Also the dub is really good.

(Also the show is really good, but that's a lot of anime, so I think it might be the gay specifically for this particular show)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 29, 2016

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Mad Men got a lot better after the first season, and then (imo) went downhill again by the end. I actually stopped watching it halfway through the first season after a rich executive obliviously gives his kept mistress a LITERAL BIRD IN A CAGE, I mean for gently caress's sake, but then I gave it another shot later and liked it. But I think its place in The Canon will be readjusted later on, once "well-produced and well-acted show about a total moody dick and his total dick feelings" stops being the #1 hallmark of quality TV

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Unless it is a crime show, I can't watch dramas where everyone is awful all the time. Too depressing :(

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Finished Scream Queens season 1 the other day, it was decent. Maybe a couple of episodes too long.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DarkCrawler posted:

Unless it is a crime show, I can't watch dramas where everyone is awful all the time. Too depressing :(

Ad agencies are committing crimes IMO

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I had started to watch Archer a while back but for some reason it didn't click for me at the time. Finally picked it up again mid december and finished season 7 this morning.

Oh boy, there have been minor cliffhangers and reveals at the end of previous seasons, but it seeems I picked the worst time to finish season 7 just now. Dickballs. When will it return? Early next year? How soon will it be up on Netflix?

Edit: Early 2017. Thank god.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Thanks, I'll do that. What's some good miniseries to go for?

I, Claudius
Brideshead Revisited

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Saw Claudius back in the day. I remember liking it but thinking it was a bit dull in places. I'm probably due for a rewatch. I'll have to check out Brideshead as well. I'm not sure I'd even heard of it.

Britain does have a lot of good historical miniseries, but I get a little bored with rich people costume dramas and old timey cop shows. Do they still make poo poo like Sharpe and Hornblower?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tom Hardy has a BBC miniseries called Taboo starting January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Half way through season 3 of Person of Interest, and it's gotten very good indeed. I'd definitely recommend slogging through the 1st series and waiting for everyone to lighten the gently caress up in season 2.