Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Darth Walrus posted:

From how the others were behaving, they were as tough as if not tougher than the Dawn Horizon crew. Hexa frames are consistently shown as very above-average machines used by elite mercenaries, and they were entirely equipped with them. So still only a minor speed-bump, but one you can brag about a little.

Eh, I doubt they're anything special. The info on the Gundam fanwiki (accuracy may vary) is that it's the second most produced frame after the Rodis. We also saw SAU grunts using it a version called the Gilda.

The Oceanian Federation's rebels weren't even equipped with anything Hugo-like. They had improvised weaponry/repurposed tools. The only one we saw who had real difficulty was Iok, and he's, well, Iok. Vidar's performance with the rebels is likely more just a display of his skill. Remember, mobile suit combat tends to devolve into melee battles because ranged weapons have difficulty disabling or destroying mobile suits. Most combat still starts with ranged combat because most pilots aren't confident or crazy enough to charge straight into close range where combat quickly becomes fatal. So far it's mostly been the Tekkadan crew that does it, and almost every good (but not necessarily great) pilot in the series has generally been capable of holding their own in melee. Vidar's performance in the battle against the rebels speaks more about his ability and confidence to pull it off so well. It's basically the space Kimaris' style all over again, albeit with a more compact and sleeker weapon.

Argas fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Argas posted:

Eh, I doubt they're anything special. The info on the Gundam fanwiki (accuracy may vary) is that it's the second most produced frame after the Rodis. We also saw SAU grunts using it a version called the Gilda.

The Oceanian Federation's rebels weren't even equipped with anything Hugo-like. They had improvised weaponry/repurposed tools. The only one we saw who had real difficulty was Iok, and he's, well, Iok. Vidar's performance with the rebels is likely more just a display of his skill. Remember, mobile suit combat tends to devolve into melee battles because ranged weapons have difficulty disabling or destroying mobile suits. Most combat still starts with ranged combat because most pilots aren't confident or crazy enough to charge straight into close range where combat quickly becomes fatal. So far it's mostly been the Tekkadan crew that does it, and almost every good (but not necessarily great) pilot in the series has generally been capable of holding their own in melee. Vidar's performance in the battle against the rebels speaks more about his ability and confidence to pull it off so well. It's basically the space Kimaris' style all over again, albeit with a more compact and sleeker weapon.

They had Gildas, which were established as officer machines in the Arbrau arc, and since brute physical strength is a property of a frame rather than what's around it, Iok's statement that they were as strong as his Reginlaze (the peak of modern suit design, remember) is backed up by the stuff we saw Sandoval's Hugo wrecking crew do in the Dawn Horizon arc.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Darth Walrus posted:

They had Gildas, which were established as officer machines in the Arbrau arc, and since brute physical strength is a property of a frame rather than what's around it, Iok's statement that they were as strong as his Reginlaze (the peak of modern suit design, remember) is backed up by the stuff we saw Sandoval's Hugo wrecking crew do in the Dawn Horizon arc.

The subs for when it first appeared (about 1:15 episode 31) calls it the main MS, which doesn't exactly suggest an officer's machine. There are Grazes there too but we're told that the SAU's inexperienced military is backed up by their local Gjallarhorn garrisons as well as the Outer Earth Orbit Regulatory Joint Fleet. There's nothing to really indicate they're officer-use.

And I wouldn't take Iok's statement too literally because Iok is an idiot and he was making that statement from a single moment of contact rather than a protracted melee fight with a Hexa frame. Julieta's insight would probably be far more accurate than Iok's. Hell, she made a joke of the twins when they had her tied up.

And the Dawn Horizon's Hugo trio were effective because they confidently engaged in close-combat in mobile suits that emphasized close combat, with big melee weapons and secondary limbs, as well as wire claws. Plus, the Hugo twins/trio worked as a team to make better use of their armaments. They wouldn't be able to put out as much ranged firepower as, say, three Dawn Horizon Garm Rodis but their focus is the melee and mutual support, and that's precisely what they focused on. It's been shown a lot that ranged combat simply isn't as immediately lethal as close combat, but the risk of entering a melee is that you are putting yourself into just as much risk as the other pilot.

Vidar's performance is exceptional and notable because he charges into the melee and usually kills or disables them with a single strike. Yeah, a Gundam frame has numerous advantages over the other frames but it takes skill to do it the way he does.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Gundamguy has a preview image of the Bael HG kit It can fly. :ohdear:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Hi Epyon.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I love how stuff that's standard in other Gundam shows is game changing upgrades in IBO.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I love how stuff that's standard in other Gundam shows is game changing upgrades in IBO.

Generally speaking; being able to fly is a massive game-changer in most Gundams, or requires a transformation. 00 doesn't count, because they were already quantum upgrades over conventional machines, and even the Strike's Aile Pack was just a Jump Pack in atmosphere.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Generally speaking; being able to fly is a massive game-changer in most Gundams, or requires a transformation. 00 doesn't count, because they were already quantum upgrades over conventional machines, and even the Strike's Aile Pack was just a Jump Pack in atmosphere.

It seems to be a bigger deal in this case because literally nothing we seen flies, period. White Base still flew, the Aegis Gundam still flew, Wing and 00 had grunts that could fly, etc. Gundam frames pretty much can't be standalone because of super high maintenance required, so the ability to have a tactical retreat and terrain advantage every single time IS a bigger deal than before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

It seems to be a bigger deal in this case because literally nothing we seen flies, period. White Base still flew, the Aegis Gundam still flew, Wing and 00 had grunts that could fly, etc. Gundam frames pretty much can't be standalone because of super high maintenance required, so the ability to have a tactical retreat and terrain advantage every single time IS a bigger deal than before.

I fully agree, flight on a Gundam is a massive game-changer here, I just meant it's not as common in other series as Guy Goodbody implied.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm not sure it's a flier. Those wings just look like great big thruster pods, which we've seen on quite a few non-flight-capable suits in IBO. You know, like the Master Gundam's wings from G. The only Gundam capable of limited atmospheric flight so far has a much more elaborate setup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not sure it's a flier. Those wings just look like great big thruster pods, which we've seen on quite a few non-flight-capable suits in IBO. You know, like the Master Gundam's wings from G. The only Gundam capable of limited atmospheric flight so far has a much more elaborate setup.

The thing is that Bael seems be the Lord High Shitkicker Gundam, and I wouldn't be surprised if its number is 01. The thrusters are each of a similar size to the Astaroth's flight engine on the back, far larger and longer than the typical Gundam or any other Mobile Suit, and the profile of them says "flight" rather than jump-jet.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
Is there an episode this week or are we off for Xmas?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

StalkofWheat posted:

Is there an episode this week or are we off for Xmas?

I'd expect one. Japan doesn't care about Christmas nearly as much as the West.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The thing is that Bael seems be the Lord High Shitkicker Gundam, and I wouldn't be surprised if its number is 01. The thrusters are each of a similar size to the Astaroth's flight engine on the back, far larger and longer than the typical Gundam or any other Mobile Suit, and the profile of them says "flight" rather than jump-jet.

Its number is undoubtedly one: Each gundam has gotten its number from the rank of the demon they're named after in the Ars Goetia. Rank 1 belongs to King Bael.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Midjack posted:

I'd expect one. Japan doesn't care about Christmas nearly as much as the West.

There is one yes. Previews are already out. Doubt there is going to be one next week though because of new years though

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
New episode is up on Daisuki.net

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Holy poo poo that fight. I so want a calamity war spin off right now. I also want a gundam monster hunter game based on it.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???
I eagerly await to see what else Iok fucks up because he doesn't want to disappoint his dead men in heaven. I can't wait for the main antagonist to not be McGillis but a righteous Iok doing all the wrong things for a dumb reason.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
in a way, the emotional arc of this season is a retread of the first season's, but it's hammered in so hard that it becomes remarkably effective.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Creamfilled posted:

I eagerly await to see what else Iok fucks up because he doesn't want to disappoint his dead men in heaven. I can't wait for the main antagonist to not be McGillis but a righteous Iok doing all the wrong things for a dumb reason.

He seriously, seriously needed to die. Julietta has also been shown to be wrong time and time again, but in more subtle ways. And the most destructive thing she's done was let Iok live.

Iok- You should have let me die!
Julietta- You have incurable stupidity, death will not solve your problem. But I doubt you can make things worse
Iok- Watch me

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Iok is a dark mirror before Orga. While Orga is infinitely more charismatic and competent, they are both floundering in the world, without any grounding for their decisions.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I have ever seen a love triangle quite like this.

Edit: More general thoughts on the episode.

I love the red eye effect Barbatos had during the fight as it helped to emphasize just how fast it was going and how terrifying both it and Mikazuki really are. That whole bit at the end with Mikazuki and Orga have been one of the most unnerving things this show has done.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 25, 2016

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Iok's ridiculous romance novel shirt is the best Christmas present. I love that big dumb idiot and can't wait to see how he fucks it up this time :allears:

drat, Mika is painful to watch. Seeing him continue to sacrifice himself and not care outside of his use to Orga really hits hard when he can barely move. How long until he can't even talk or eat without Barbatos? The next time he goes full throttle, what would be worse: him dying, or him surviving (if you could even call it that)?

Also props to the Kudelia-Atra scene, I'm glad they have each other to rely on. If either of them dies I will riot. And Hush taking his job as Mika's personal man servant is hilarious. I really disliked Hush at the beginning of the season but I've really been enjoying his character arc and how well it's been handled.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, at the rate we're going we're gonna see the first mid-season upgrade for a Gundam's pilot instead of the Gundam itself.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Guys when McGillis is saying poo poo like 'only true power can lead the world towards the proper path' while looking satanically evil he may well be the final boss. I couldn't parse what he was saying about Gaelio though- that the new Gaelio/Kimaris can only live in the current corrupt world?

The fight was great. Mika's final scene with Orga was great. Atra and Kudelia was great as well. They are right, of course- Mikazuki hasn't changed in two seasons despite the number of people he's killed and everything that's happened. He's still the boy with the gun in the flashback with Orga, the perfect weapon who has subordinated his will entirely to Orga's vision of an idyllic future. Even as he's used by Orga, of course, he's using Orga, and his existence prevents Orga from compromising with a hostile world. Mika has given up on Kudelia's hope of a peaceful future, the farm, and everything else that gave him an alternative to his life as a soldier. He constantly asks to be near Barbatos and nags Orga about repairing it so he can return to the battlefield, a place where his body still moves, a place where he is a master without peer, a place where he is useful to others. Even when he fought the Mobile Armour, he shunned the assistance of others and relied on his own strength alone. He is Tekkadan in the body of one person, an invincible fighting force that sacrifices a part of itself with every battle. Mika is heading for tragedy unless Atra and Kudelia can stop him.

McGillis being inspired by Mika's prowess to commit himself fully to whatever revolutionary scheme he's chasing felt like an important moment. Likewise Orga reaffirms his commitment to becoming King of Mars even as Naze questions his motives. Julietta seeks greater power after witnessing Mika's strength, even though Rustal believes she's already strong enough. Iok is less inspired by Mika than the others, but is still throwing his lot in with another faction of Teiwaz in a mad attempt to destroy McGillis. Everyone is doubling down on their respective causes and seeking greater power, even if that means reaching the point of no return.

One exception is Gaelio, who has already created an enigmatic weapon but whose motives remain obscure. He passed up a chance to attack McGillis directly and remains on the sidelines, watching and questioning Julietta as she rushes onwards. The other is Rustal, who presumably has confidence in the forces at his disposal and has the patience to cut his losses when McGillis has the upper hand on the Mobile Armour issue. It will be interesting to see if he can remain so aloof when McGillis deploys his new weapon and makes a serious play for power.

Lestaki fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 25, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lestaki posted:

Guys when McGillis is saying poo poo like 'only true power can lead the world towards the proper path' while looking satanically evil he may well be the final boss. I couldn't parse what he was saying about Gaelio though- that the new Gaelio/Kimaris can only live in the current corrupt world?

The fight was great. Mika's final scene with Orga was great. Atra and Kudelia was great as well. They are right, of course- Mikazuki hasn't changed in two seasons despite the number of people he's killed and everything that's happened. He's still the boy with the gun in the flashback with Orga, the perfect weapon who has subordinated his will entirely to Orga's vision of an idyllic future. Even as he's used by Orga, of course, he's using Orga, and his existence prevents Orga from compromising with a hostile world. Mika has given up on Kudelia's hope of a peaceful future, the farm, and everything else that gave him an alternative to his life as a soldier. He constantly asks to be near Barbatos and nags Orga about repairing it so he can return to the battlefield, a place where his body still moves, a place where he is a master without peer, a place where he is useful to others. Even when he fought the Mobile Armour, he shunned the assistance of others relied on his own strength alone. He is Tekkadan in the body of one person, an invincible fighting force that sacrifices a part of itself with every battle. Mika is heading for tragedy unless Atra and Kudelia can stop him.

McGillis being inspired by Mika's prowess to commit himself fully to whatever revolutionary scheme he's chasing felt like an important moment. Likewise Orga reaffirms his commitment to becoming King of Mars even as Naze questions his motives. Julietta seeks greater power after witnessing Mika's strength, even though Rustal believes she's already strong enough. Iok is less inspired by Mika than the others, but is still throwing his lot in with another faction of Teiwaz in a mad attempt to destroy McGillis. Everyone is doubling down on their respective causes and seeking greater power, even if that means reaching the point of no return.

One exception is Gaelio, who has already created an enigmatic weapon but whose motives remain obscure. He passed up a chance to attack McGillis directly and remains on the sidelines, watching and questioning Julietta as she rushes onwards. The other is Rustal, who presumably has confidence in the forces at his disposal and has the patience to cut his losses when McGillis has the upper hand on the Mobile Armour issue. It will be interesting to see if he can remain so aloof when McGillis deploys his new weapon and makes a serious play for power.

The translation was crap, but I think what McGillis said about Gaelio is that he's a very limited person - he needs to be the hero of his world, rather than one who can create a new world. He's a good cop who, by accepting that role, requires a corresponding bad cop. He'll never be more than 'nice for a Gjallarhorn officer'. Which does make him a fun guy to be around, but kind of crap at the 'grim masked avenger' role he nicked from McGillis. Remarkably incisive, really.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I hope IBO makes it to SRW soon. I want a serious dramatic scene that's suddenly interrupted by sideways Mikazuki or Mika on his Hushmount.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Tae posted:

They're not afraid to make Mika bleed from every orifice and keep his arms and eye hosed up, so he seems free for any further permanent abuse.

And though Gundam openings lie like a mother fucker, he's crawling around with half his limbs non-functional.

Glad I was right

well, not glad all the way

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I want the series to end with Mika piloting the Barbatos while it is dressed in overalls and wearing a giant straw hat.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man I know its a copout but I hope they find a way to miniaturize a AV system and just hook it to mikas back so he can be functional again by the end of the series. Okada plz

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Show is gonna end with Barbatos repairing Mika's body at the cost of a mindwipe. Lives his new life on the farm, blissfully unaware of the king of mars that's keeping tabs on him.

Kudelia and Atra still won't get in his pants.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They just need a really long extension cord hooked up to Barbatos' AV system.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
I'm gonna laugh my rear end off if the answer is Mika farming using Barbatos.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Holy poo poo that fight. I so want a calamity war spin off right now. I also want a gundam monster hunter game based on it.

Actually I think that'd be a great way to do a tie in game for IBO.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I do love that the flashy DBZ bullshit we're used to from some of the more recent Gundam shows is legitimately portrayed as game changing and crazy powerful here, and not just because some background characters say it is. I also love that Mika is still focused on giant loving hammers and swords that are also hammers as his weapon of choice. Fight owned, episode owned, Iok is hilarious, this is a good Gundam.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also yes

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Lestaki posted:

I'm gonna laugh my rear end off if the answer is Mika farming using Barbatos.

Loran would be proud.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Argas posted:

They just need a really long extension cord hooked up to Barbatos' AV system.

I think if a happy ending for Mika is possible it's gonna be something like that. It'll be like the start of the series where the Barbatos was just used as a generator and Mika would sneak in there because it was warm. A warehouse on the farm with the disassembled Barbatos powering Mika via a long cable. He can't leave the Barbatos ever, but maybe there's some potted plants showing Mika is still doing the experiments from the beginning of the first season

also, fourthing how great Atra and Kudelia's relationship is

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
This is all going to end in tears, isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Belzac posted:

Loran would be proud.

• Locked thread