Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

UmOk posted:

Hope it doesn't mess up Leia being the leader of the Resistance and the First Order.

According to the early rumors it might not change very much...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Barudak posted:

According to the early rumors it might not change very much...

I heard someone say once (was it RLM?) that Carrie Fisher must be a great actress because she can seem normal in TFA. Are you saying they didn't give her much screen time in TFA2, and if so was that because of problems?

So close to the Holidays, her poor family. And she's not even that old! (I'm old and I refuse to check her age, I'm sure it's much higher than I think).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Principal photography was finished months ago and Carrie wasn't there for the whole shoot anyway. I hope she gets better, but that's probably impossible at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if there's severe brain damage or brain death given how long she was unresponsive. My grandfather had the same thing happen earlier this year; heart attack -> 10-15 minutes unresponsive -> resuscitated with CPR, but brain death had already occurred and he was taken off the ventilator the next day. Don't be surprised if the same happens with Carrie tomorrow.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jack B Nimble posted:

So close to the Holidays, her poor family. And she's not even that old! (I'm old and I refuse to check her age, I'm sure it's much higher than I think).
Only 60. :(

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Fuckin' Mandela Effect how did I wind up on this lovely rear end timeline.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jack B Nimble posted:

I heard someone say once (was it RLM?) that Carrie Fisher must be a great actress because she can seem normal in TFA. Are you saying they didn't give her much screen time in TFA2, and if so was that because of problems?

Early leaks on how the story was going Is that Leia gets knocked unconscious in an attack on a republic ship and theres some sort of coup situation going on and Poe gotta go gently caress poo poo up and rescue coma-leia. Might be Leia never wakes up now :(

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

A Major Fucker posted:

good thing they've got that cgi carrie fisher from rogue one lol

they should've just used current carrie fisher in rogue one that would've been much better

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I hope Carrie Fisher doesn't die or become severely incapacitated. She seems like a nice lady and she was in a few movies I enjoyed.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The prequels did this to Carrie.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

gfarrell80 posted:

But A New Hope has a pro-humanity, anti-technology/computer message that I think is just as relevant today, and will continue so long as we have a technological society.

A New Hope isn't anti-technology. It's just against humans completely relying on technology. A seemingly small but very important distinction. Luke has to make the shot at the end without R2-D2's help in order to complete his passage into manhood, but that doesn't mean R2-D2 is bad. R2-D2 is a hero without whom the heroes would have died many times over.

And the prequels will continue to remain just as relevant as the originals given their universal themes relating to societal corruption and the dangers of emotional attachment and fear of loss.

Stickarts posted:

The prequels did this to Carrie.

Maybe if George had let her wear underwear in space she wouldn't have had so many health problems over the years.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cnut the Great posted:

I hope Carrie Fisher doesn't die or become severely incapacitated. She seems like a nice lady and she was in a few movies I enjoyed.

*schwarzenegger voice* she's dead you idiaht

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
harrison ford always wanted to die in the movies and carrie fisher always wanted to die irl

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Rogue One:

Everyone started dying the minute I thought they would all make it.
K-2SO was amazing but the funniest line was "Are you kidding me?! I'm blind!!"
Chirrutt appears to be more powerful the any OT Jedi.
Was Jyn's assumed name Liarra Halleck partially a Dune reference?
Interesting that there was "Long ago" screen but no crawl. I guess you could say this represents the ANH crawl.
CGI Tarvin very obvious. Maybe if it was darker it would work. Could see why they needed him though.
They seemed to make a point of showing new stuff, Vader in bacta and his castle for example, and the conjoined asteroid base. Plus Vader living up to the myth. Just marching forward, as everyone in front of him dies.
More jumping in and out of hyperspace within an atmosphere.
Could have done without Artoo and Threepio, because how were they supposed to get on board the blockade runner?

I may catch it again, loved it.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Rogue One:

Could have done without Artoo and Threepio, because how were they supposed to get on board the blockade runner?

They were already on board it, at the base on Yavin IV you can hear them calling Captain Antilles over the intercom, so I presume the Tantive IV was there with them.

I guess they didn't want to break the streak of them being in every film, but I agree with you. Was a bit pointless.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Roblo posted:

They were already on board it, at the base on Yavin IV you can hear them calling Captain Antilles over the intercom, so I presume the Tantive IV was there with them.

I guess they didn't want to break the streak of them being in every film, but I agree with you. Was a bit pointless.

C3PO's appearance in the film is to serve as a direct contrast to K2. ("It's the mighty robots from Battlestar Galactica versus the GAY robots from Star Wars!")

The one line of dialogue was carefully chosen to emphasize 3PO's cluelessness. Even if you haven't seen the other films, you still have this very clear image of the revolutionary heroes and their cargo truck leaving the gold-plated alliance robot in the dust.

That is, again, the film making extremely good use of the Lucas films' costume designs (and Lucas-inspired costume designs) as language. As a contrast, note how C3PO shows up in TFA and uses expository dialogue to directly explain that his arm is red, that R2 is sleeping, etc.

Rogue One makes a similar point of how Mothra and Krennic both wear white capes. And then the final shot is of Leia in a pure white outfit saying "hope". The film has generated an ambiguity there, that does not stem (solely) from the shocking/confrontational CGI. The film has already clearly outlined its thesis that both the Rebellion and the Empire are enemies of the working class. Whose hope are we talking about?

The whole point of showing this Vader massacre is to pay respect to those blue-shirted guys with the helmets, since New Hope had presented them as disposable. And it's also complicated by foreknowledge that Vader will eventually reveal himself to be a good guy in Empire.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Has anyone gone through the Star Wars movies and put fake (presumably humorous) sub over all the alien/droid dialogue?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
If you haven't watched the auralnauts star wars series starting with jedi party, you should fix that.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
If all of these offshoot Star Wars movies can hit Rogue One level quality the franchise will be in a solid yet unremarkable place moving forward while doing ludicrous numbers, which is, I suspect, the preferred Disney outcome in all regards.

As far as the interplay between Rogue One and A New Hope, the most amusing/interesting bit to me is that the message of Red Leader's brusque, somewhat annoyed admonishment for Wedge to cut the chatter after "Look at the size of that thing" has been recontextualized somewhat from "the Rebels have some old guard military officers but also a lot of really green recruits" to "no poo poo buddy, those of us who have been here for more than five minutes remember it from last week, at the battle that killed most of our friends"

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

trash person posted:

Has anyone gone through the Star Wars movies and put fake (presumably humorous) sub over all the alien/droid dialogue?

I always imagine R2 sounding like Joe Pesci in Goodfellas.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Carrie Fisher is dead.

Dead tired of speculation about her status!

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I look up into the night sky

CGI Peter Cushing and CGI Carrie Fisher look down back at me, smiling

I embrace oblivion

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Baron Porkface posted:

What was the point of either Dooku fight?

Maul = vaders hate, Grevious = vaders machination, Dooku = vaders aristocracy, they all have to get chumped because they aren't him.

Dooku comes closest to victory because status is the most powerful force in the failed state of the republic.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Maul and Dooku needed to be one character.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For the Return of the Jedi 4K blu-ray remaster, LucasFilms should put ghost Carrie Fisher in at the end of the film.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deakul posted:

Carrie Fisher is dead.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I said come in! posted:

For the Return of the Jedi 4K blu-ray remaster, LucasFilms should put ghost Carrie Fisher in at the end of the film.

Yes but drunk, cursing, red carpet Carrie Fisher.

:byodame: I WAS A PILOT

e: also George Lucas talking about poetry

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
George Lucas talking about red tails

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

Maul = vaders hate, Grevious = vaders machination, Dooku = vaders aristocracy, they all have to get chumped because they aren't him.

Dooku comes closest to victory because status is the most powerful force in the failed state of the republic.

Did Grevious and Anakin have any contact in the movies? It was Obi Wan who took him down.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Did Grevious and Anakin have any contact in the movies? It was Obi Wan who took him down.

At the beginning of ROTS when Anakin and Obi-Wan are captured, they talk to Grievous before getting into a fight with him in the command center of the Invisible Hand.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Serf posted:

At the beginning of ROTS when Anakin and Obi-Wan are captured, they talk to Grievous before getting into a fight with him in the command center of the Invisible Hand.

It's implied pretty heavily it seemed to me that before Revenge of the Sith that they had a lot of run in's.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

It's implied pretty heavily it seemed to me that before Revenge of the Sith that they had a lot of run in's.

Yeah, and Clone Wars confirms this.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

I said come in! posted:

huh? Grievous straight up says that he expected Anakin to look older and Anakin tells Grievous that he's shorter than he expected. Kinda weird for people that have run into each other before.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

HannibalBarca posted:

huh? Grievous straight up says that he expected Anakin to look older and Anakin tells Grievous that he's shorter than he expected. Kinda weird for people that have run into each other before.

Yeah, Star Wars continuity is a clusterfuck, don't even bother trying to figure it out.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Reminder that the old Clone Wars cartoon is no longer canon (that loving cough).

I always read that scene as heavily implying that both Grievous and Anakin were famous and so they had heard of one another but never met.

e: Just to be clear I've never watched the show. All I know about it is Coughgate.

disjoe fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 24, 2016

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Grievous and Anakin never do encounter each other in the Clone Wars show.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

A New Hope isn't anti-technology. It's just against humans completely relying on technology. A seemingly small but very important distinction. Luke has to make the shot at the end without R2-D2's help in order to complete his passage into manhood, but that doesn't mean R2-D2 is bad. R2-D2 is a hero without whom the heroes would have died many times over.

You're right in that technology is represented as a tool that can be used by both good guys and bad guys for purposes that can be useful and good or bad, but overall I think the message in ANH is that the intoxicating power of technology can corrupt and lead to horrible destruction by an ordinary bureaucracy. It is not a question of whether R2-D2 is bad, or the blasters they use, or the ships the rebels use are bad. It is about the massive application of military technology. Planets being destroyed and such. Torture (interrogation probe droid). Implied subjugation of peoples through fear (systems will fall in line through fear of the battle station!). The Death Star has some connection to nuclear weapons; it is the threat of compliance or utter destruction via a technological lever.

It's nice because the Imperials aren't clearly shown as techno-worshippers, even some of them in the Death Star boardroom scene are skeptical of the Death Star. They're just ordinary guys taking part in a technological military/bureaucratic machine, much like many of the nazis or people involved in our own military industrial complex, especially the pro-nuclear weapons usage folks during the height of the Cold War. But I could argue it is equally applicable to us today.

So just need to dial it back a bit and make sure we're in touch with the ol' human feelings, which are clearly illustrated to be the more powerful compass. So I stand by it being pretty solidly anti-technology hippy stuff. Not full on Luddite, but definitely encouraging an assessment of how our society uses technology, and presenting human feeling as the best path to take. Large military power is definitely corrupting and leads to grossly inhumane acts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Phi230 posted:

George Lucas talking about red tails

I liked Red Tails. It was a perfectly average movie that had a little charm of it's own. Not a classic by any means, but alright.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
and it was the first all black leading cast

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Serf posted:

Yeah, and Clone Wars confirms this.

I don't remember them meeting in the tartakovsky show, and they definitely never meet face to face in the CG cartoon. (They keep missing each other by seconds)

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Do Star Wars fans even pay attention to Star Wars or do they just make poo poo up now? Cus Grievance and Spanakopita Skywalker never meet until the beginning of RotS. They even make sure they don't meet in Clone Wars to specifically maintain continuity with Sith.

• Locked thread