Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I just heard that Star Citizen switched engines.

Surely this will solve all their problems and the game will come out any day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
seriously though, in response to CryEngine criticisms for years the cultist line has been "It's not even CryEngine anymore. It's StarEngine. It's completely different so none of these Dream destroying issues like the promised game being impossible in CryEngine apply to this new StarEngine." When Crytek exploded recently backers went overdrive explaining how this didn't have anything to do with Star Citizen since the engine was now a completely different, in-house engine CIG had created that had almost nothing to do with CryEngine.

I don't see how so many cultists are trying to now do a complete 180 and explain why a new version of CryEngine is a good thing. It goes against years of rationalizations and very public, easily available arguments as recently as the Crytek drama last month.

I mean I get why they are doing it. They have to, it's what they have to say for their dreams to be real but I don't get how they can actually do it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Amarcarts posted:

I bet what was originally planned is that 2.6 was supposed to be the last StarEngine release and 3.0 in 2017 was originally going to be the big switch and they were hoping it wouldn't be a big deal because "Wow! Look at all this planetary stuff!". Probably what happened though is they just flat out could not get Star Marine working with StarEngine and they decided it would be a worse headline to delay Star Marine to next year than to bite the bullet and tell everyone they had to move to a different engine.

From a technical standpoint I'd bet CIG is no worse off and may actually be in a better position to actually get a game out of this whole deal, but they really hosed themselves on the PR end with all their scheming. Cultists will no doubt be thinking that CIG is contributing to Lumberyard, exchanging their magical technology for discounts on AWS when really what happened is Amazon is getting (relatively) dirt cheap visibility for their new games division. The customer data for advertising is the real financial asset in all of this. Look at the changes to the TOS privacy section.

Traditional publishing is a thing of the past, as Amazon's recurring costs in AWS are paid for as CIG uses them and Amazon gets the data anyways. It doesn't matter to Amazon one bit if the game actually gets finished.

This. All of it. Is the most plausible scenario to me too.

Kephael
Apr 2, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

Just remember, the HELP/SERVICE desk sandi has been running since she has been the best little girl ever, is CLOSED until the 3rd of January.

Maybe they went on another trip to ITALY after amazon paid um for all those whales details.

Why does CIG need to shut down for two weeks? Obviously federal holidays should allow for time off but where do they give everyone a two week break?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kephael posted:

Why does CIG need to shut down for two weeks? Obviously federal holidays should allow for time off but where do they give everyone a two week break?

Because when you have your entire staff crunching for months you sort of need them to take time off to relax. Also in these sort of active development scenarios, if enough key personnel decide to take leave during the time anyways then the entire production can grind to a halt. Its easier to have everyone take a vacation at the same time.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Oh how I'd like to be a fly on the wall at the Roberts family Christmas dinner.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Lol the rationale for merging and closing all talk of a new engine is "it already happened months ago"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Amarcarts posted:

Oh how I'd like to be a fly on the wall at the Roberts family Christmas dinner.

Just ask his personal chef or catering staff

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

The most open development project in history, folks

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Went into amazon uk, typed "star citizen" into the search bar, selected pc and video games.

Top suggestion was some shite gaming chair/desk combo, second was "best seller" No Mans Sky.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Will SQ42 be using cryengine or lumberyard as well?

Open devlopment!

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

Someone else said it but it actually is making sense now , all those things we laughed at

Working on 2.6 and 3.0 at the same time ? Sure they were simply on two different engines

The pipelines will save us!
Yep now they can import 100s of artist creations not lumber yard and look like heroes, the 'pipeline' was using a new engine

Sandi's big plans to 'go wider' in 2017 ? With Amazon you sure will

If anything I think this will sink cig faster than they could have done on their own , they have actual oversight now

Weeeeeellllllll, not really. Supposedly 2.6 is using Lumberyard, so it still means they're coding two separate versions concurrently. Which makes no sense at all.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Thirsty Dog posted:

Merry Christmas and kia kaha bro

Ka pai.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Completely unrelated, but loving lost it...

https://twitter.com/ThePracticalDev/status/812728783774109697

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

CrazyTolradi posted:

This is what I was wondering, didn't they specifically have to tweak Starengine to support this? How would that work with Lumberyard?
64-Bit positioning.... Hmmm, either "Star Engine" was modified to support 64-bit position support or Star Engine never, ever had true 64-bit positioning. Which do you think is true?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: This is a good thing ™

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

CrazyTolradi posted:

This is what I was wondering, didn't they specifically have to tweak Starengine to support this? How would that work with Lumberyard?

Ben Parry posted:

It used to be a modified version of CryEngine, it's now an equally-modified version of Lumberyard.

Clear as mud.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

orcinus posted:

Yes amazon have unlimited money (nothing is ever unlimited)

That doesn't mean they're going to do all Chris's work for him and keep funding developement

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Changing from whatever dumpster fire cryengine mod they had to lumberjack is a zero-effort change. After all, it's not like they had any code, only assets.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

Yes amazon have unlimited money (nothing is ever unlimited)

That doesn't mean they're going to do all Chris's work for him and keep funding developement

In particular, Amazon needs its investments to pay off, and the way they monetise the game engine by requiring licensees to use their web services just means that the game engine is a side show. It's a way to sell the web service to a new market. It that market doesn't materialise and the investment doesn't pay off, the engine will be unceremoniously dumped without warning or recourse.

They have no incentive to actually keep throwing money at the engine if it doesn't produce a significant uptick in AWS sales — that cash and effort is far better spent trying to figure out a new market for the service to replace the old — whereas a dedicated engine developer have every incentive to keep the engine going, because that's how they make their money.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

See you in the 'Yard, commandos!

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Where s the interview with Brian Chambers at GamesCom where he talks about the work CIG has done customizing CryEngine when he talks about 50% of the code is new. The Chambers interview, the part of the letter talking about the conversion has been going on for over a year, and CIG's "The Pledge" https://robertsspaceindustries.com/the-pledge all need to come together somehow.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Propagandist posted:

See you in the 'Yard, commandos!

Please refer to all commandos as "lumberjacks" from now on. It's part of the deal with Amazon.

Well, ok, no. But it should be.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Lumberbackers

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Lumberbackers

:perfect:

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I think the thing that will really hurt them is that they've kept it a secret so long. They could have just announced this as part of the network 3.0 plan and spun it as "since it's still all based on CryEngine it really won't cost us a whole lot of additional time or money." Waiting until the Friday evening 2 days before Christmas when it's clear this has been in the works for a long time looks like they were deliberately hiding it, meaning it's bad. If it was such a good deal why didn't they announce it the minute they made it?

Again, it always comes back to the dishonesty

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

People who bought "star citizen" also bought : Shakeweight set + Electronic ball press.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Reminder Illfonic and CIG couldnt get SM to work after the abortion of the changes CIG did to their cryengine 3.0 fork. Just imagine changing the engine then to cryengine 3.8 fork.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sabreseven posted:

People who bought "star citizen" also bought : Shakeweight set + Electronic ball press.

Don't doxx me. :negative:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

Sickening and heartbreaking.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

orcinus posted:

This is good for Bitcoin StarCitizen.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Please refer to all commandos as "lumberjacks" from now on. It's part of the deal with Amazon.

Well, ok, no. But it should be.

You mean 'erjacks, surely.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/812743990256828416

lol

merry christmas everyone!

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

HycoCam posted:

Where s the interview with Brian Chambers at GamesCom where he talks about the work CIG has done customizing CryEngine when he talks about 50% of the code is new. The Chambers interview, the part of the letter talking about the conversion has been going on for over a year, and CIG's "The Pledge" https://robertsspaceindustries.com/the-pledge all need to come together somehow.

Don't forget all the work doing "StarNetwork" or "Spectrum". Since it looks like Lumberyard already has it's own network interface code and social networking aspects, a bunch of that work (assuming it was actually done) most likely goes right out the window.

Still trying to resolve how moving to Lumberyard is a good thing since everything just "crosses over" but it took them a year to do it. I'm sure some helpful Shitizen can help me with that logic puzzle.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Lumberbackers

Shitijacks?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

XK posted:

So, Lumberyard automatically gets a source license, that's good to know.

Lumberyard requires usage of Amazon cloud services. There is the exception of using no hosted services, or using your own internally hosted servers. But you can not use any 3rd party provider except for Amazon.

I was posting before about their lack of international servers, and kept talking about crobbler just changing the contract to have Amazon do international servers. I guess I should've been speaking of Google instead of Amazon, as apparently they had been on Google's service. Or, maybe I just saw the future. The same core of my argument still stands, though, and has only become more accurate. Will they be spinning up Amazon servers in international regions now?

Is the jump to Amazon from Google the thing that broke 2.5?

The Lumberyard logo only showed up on 2.6 live, but wasn't on any of the Evocati or PTU releases? That's what I've seen claimed.

Since this news, Derek has been saying that Lumberyard is based on CryEngine 5. Everything I've seen indicates Lumberyard is branched from CryEngine 3.8.1. The importance of this fact is merely pedantic, but it's good to be correct. There's a potential argument that CIG did all their modifications on a 3.x branch (3.7 I think), so the engine change isn't a big deal since it's just a jump to 3.8ish.

The running excuse has been that years of engine modifications are why development has appeared slow. If a 300+ employee company has spent years modifying an engine for their very specific custom needs, then "Star Engine" should be so far off the branch of 3.7 that it's a completely different engine to any other engine. Regardless of whether it's 3.8 branched, or 5.0 branched, or whatever.

If any of CIG's past claims about their extensive engine modifications are to be believed, then this is absolutely a fundamental engine change, regardless of any defense about it being branched from a similar version.

I also believe that only Star Marine is currently running on Lumberyard, and SC proper is still their hacked up engine. SC 3.0 is probably intended to be the full switchover to Lumberyard. We would've noticed some kind of fundamental change in the SC releases if they jumped engine in between 2.0 and now, but all the same bugs and quirks have persisted. Maybe that's why they kept claiming that 3.0 was being worked on in parallel to 2.6.

I really badly want an answer on the Lumberyard 64 bit question.

Well, as was recently posted on Reddit, CryEngine 5 is really CryEngine 3.8. Which led me to comment that I can see where CIG's confusion with version numbers comes in.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
LMFAO, i got accused of deleting my comments in /r/sc before posting in /r/cults.

Never mind the fact the only two times i ever posted in /r/sc was about 3 posts exchanged with Cymelion and 1 post when they announced they're ditching VR support like 2 years ago.
Never mind the fact i wouldn't post there if you'd pay me.

Sure, i posted there and then deleted all my comments to appear like i'm... what exactly...?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I had the first game crash I've had in as long as I can remember today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I was playing a PS Vita port.

e. oh poo poo taxxe. Also thanks for breaking my post chain you loving forum you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQutV77KMm8