Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Every time people mention Legends of Troy my initial response is 'Wait they made a Greek Warriors?!'

It takes me a few moments to go 'Oh, right.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Should I pick up RoTK13 now or wait for a PUK that may or may not be coming?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Achernar posted:

Should I pick up RoTK13 now or wait for a PUK that may or may not be coming?

To be honest, there are good reasons to justify either option.

In the meanwhile, here's a recent video about said PUK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhnVm8zyuDw

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

So middle of February then? I'll probably wait then.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

drat, that Nobunaga's Ambition Edition that policenaut was talking about isn't on sale

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

wielder posted:

To be honest, there are good reasons to justify either option.

In the meanwhile, here's a recent video about said PUK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhnVm8zyuDw

Do we know what the PUK is going to add to the game, aside from starting scenarios?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

warhammer651 posted:

Do we know what the PUK is going to add to the game, aside from starting scenarios?

Not a full list:

-Fame/prestige system gives titles/names with different effects
-Multiple endings and epilogues depending on fame and playstyle (merchant, tyrant, etc)
-Free officers can raise their own armies without joining anyone else first
-Improved marriage, raising children into adulthood. Adoption is also possible.
-Battle tactics like ambush, trap, bribe and more have returned
-Fortresses can be built on the map to use tactics against the enemy and to recover your army's morale
-Player-created coalitions
-Modified duel and debate systems
-Natural disasters like flood and plague
-New characters, events and portraits
-Scenario events can be edited

wielder fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 24, 2016

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Will we be able to buy the PUK as an expansion to the base game, or will it be a separate game entirely like Risshiden? I'm afraid it's going to be the latter. Did people with NA:SoI get a discount?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It'll be the latter, Koei aren't allowed to do expansions anymore after Capcom sued them

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I believe Capcom's lawsuit was about the remixing or MIXJOY system that allowed players to separately combine Xtreme Legends discs with the base DW and SW contents on consoles. That's why SW4-II was treated as an independent game.

However, I don't know how it has affected the way that T-K treats ROTK's PUK releases since those are primarily PC-based even in Japan, with the console ports being secondary. That said, I don't really expect Steam to offer an upgrade but I might be surprised.

wielder fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 25, 2016

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I really love the Musou games but when people ask for fewer but harder grunts I get confused because it's not like the games have particularly impressive mechanics? If you take out the huge crowds of trash mobs then what even makes it a Musou game? Maybe KT should make a different series for people who want a character action game and not a mass murderer simulator.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People are idiots and don't know what makes games work

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RichterIX posted:

I really love the Musou games but when people ask for fewer but harder grunts I get confused because it's not like the games have particularly impressive mechanics? If you take out the huge crowds of trash mobs then what even makes it a Musou game? Maybe KT should make a different series for people who want a character action game and not a mass murderer simulator.

They did, it's called Ni-Oh

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RichterIX posted:

I never understood people that say that.
In Warriors you've got trash mobs to wreck for fun and then more difficult officer fights every now and then. What more do you want?

I guess I'd would maybe want a bit more "involved" fights between officers but other than that the whole Warriors package works pretty well as is.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Side games like Gundam and Zelda have focused on boss fights and stuff and it's ok but gets old really quick. Older than killing generic officer 458.

Also KT released character trailers for the 4 main ladies of Musou Stars and the most impressive touch as always are the remixed tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiWfgPqR4nA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bo0Ar2mLc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLAuFGBf4DY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkJrSNv56hw

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RichterIX posted:

It was called Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce and it sucked.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
There's a reason most musou clones fall flat on their asses 75% of the time.

New Musou Stars trailers comin' in hot:

Sophie
Yuanji
Oka
Kasumi, who uses a more Dead Or Alive looking moveset than in WO3

edit: gently caress

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
You at least labeled them, unlike lazy me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hey Policenaut what was the final verdict on that Nobunaga's Ambition that lets you do officer mode? If I'm looking for something with more meat than SW4E but not super complex, is that going to fit that sort of area?

It's still on full price, which sucks, but I'm about due a christmas present to myself.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 28, 2016

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Hows the Samurai Warriors 4-II and Dynasty Warriors 8 ports on pc? Are they serviceable like Arslan and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3?

Im starting to get pulled into the deep end of Musou games and it feels awkward that my last mainline series game was dynasty warriors 4. Dont get me wrong im loving arslan and one piece, but i feel i need more of them in my life.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Main complaint with DW8: no online co-op. Otherwise I liked it just fine. Except that one time I tried to play as harp lady, since the harp's attack style just did not click with me.

Main complaint with SW4-2: coming off DW, I'm surprised how much I'd come to rely on listening to audio cues for Important Things happening in battles as the characters talked about them. No English VA in this one, so I had to shift to reading subtitles to pick up on this stuff... needless to say, I either got distracted from actual combat, or I got distracted by actual combat and missed bigger cues.

Oh, and in both games a 360 controller works just fine but none of the in-game menu icons will give you the slightest indication of what 360 button corresponds to what action.

Vil fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 28, 2016

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Both games have mods to add in xbox prompts

DW8: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=370499432

SW-II: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=657934045

How is Arslan? I know nothing about the source material, but I also didn't know anything about One Piece and enjoyed that.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

bentacos posted:

How is Arslan? I know nothing about the source material, but I also didn't know anything about One Piece and enjoyed that.

Arslan seems a little more subdued than One Piece... which is fitting to the show. The combat is still plenty flashy but it isnt quite as bombastic as other warriors games. The bonus is mounted combat in Arslan is actually really really good. You can actually gently caress people up really well on horseback and have more than a basic attack. The cutscenes and story parts are all really well done, and follow the anime bit by bit, even filling in some inbetween details. The card system is interesting but i havent gotten a full grasp on it yet. You basically slot cards to your character based on characters and moments in the show and they change your stats around.

The port has been solid except for the time i bounced a general through a impassable barrier then knocked him into the environment trying to kill him on the other side. As soon as i buried his rear end in the wall the game made a GINORMOUS blast of sound and crashed. But i think that was me breaking the physics system.

Arslan is also all japanese audio as well so you have to do a lot of reading subtitles WHILE fighting.

360 controller works fine, and it has actual button prompts for 360.

Oh yeah and Arslan has full coop for all modes.

Vil posted:

Main complaint with DW8: no online co-op. Otherwise I liked it just fine. Except that one time I tried to play as harp lady, since the harp's attack style just did not click with me.

Main complaint with SW4-2: coming off DW, I'm surprised how much I'd come to rely on listening to audio cues for Important Things happening in battles as the characters talked about them. No English VA in this one, so I had to shift to reading subtitles to pick up on this stuff... needless to say, I either got distracted from actual combat, or I got distracted by actual combat and missed bigger cues.

Oh, and in both games a 360 controller works just fine but none of the in-game menu icons will give you the slightest indication of what 360 button corresponds to what action.

Yeah im looking mainly at Samurai Warriors for the coop potential, and cause of arslan and one piece im used to the japanese audio. Also One Piece has the keyboard prompts as well so im used to that too.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Vil posted:

Yes, SW4 and also OPW3 has this weird thing where I always miss the audio cues or dialogue or narrative spin they're putting into the stage. I felt like a lot of times playing SW4-2 I failed stages until I stopped, paused the game to read the battle log and see what was going on in the battle to respond.

Ironically in a game like Hyrule Warriors where there isn't even any VA besides a quick audio bark, I can follow along no problem.

Xbox One controller also works more or less flawlessly with DW8. Sadly the triggers are broke as hell in SW4-2 (and the buttons are all over the place in OPW3) Get a 360 pad for maximum enjoyment.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Stelas posted:

Hey Policenaut what was the final verdict on that Nobunaga's Ambition that lets you do officer mode? If I'm looking for something with more meat than SW4E but not super complex, is that going to fit that sort of area?

It's still on full price, which sucks, but I'm about due a christmas present to myself.

It's about on the same par of complexity that most of the officer-based RoTK games are on. I thought it was head and shoulders above RoTK 13 and most of the other officer-based barring RoTK 10. I've already raved a bunch in this thread about how much I've liked Ascension, and I hope that TK goes on to make more games in this vein if they aren't actually going to go back to RoTK 10 style.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Sober posted:

Xbox One controller also works more or less flawlessly with DW8. Sadly the triggers are broke as hell in SW4-2 (and the buttons are all over the place in OPW3) Get a 360 pad for maximum enjoyment.

There's a mod that fixes that. It works perfectly.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Hello Musuo thread, I need a quick recommendation:
I'm thinking of picking up one or more of the games that are on sale at the moment - DW8, DW8:E, and/or SW4 - but I played the hell out of DW7. I kind of suspect vanilla DW8 isn't different enough to be worth picking up, but what's DW8 Empires like? The Steam Store page doesn't give me much to go on. And I think the only contact I've had with Samurai Warriors was through WO3 - any strong opinions one way or the other?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Isn't the DW8 on steam the XL version?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Tae posted:

Isn't the DW8 on steam the XL version?

Yes, but it has all the vanilla content.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Hello Musuo thread, I need a quick recommendation:
I'm thinking of picking up one or more of the games that are on sale at the moment - DW8, DW8:E, and/or SW4 - but I played the hell out of DW7. I kind of suspect vanilla DW8 isn't different enough to be worth picking up, but what's DW8 Empires like? The Steam Store page doesn't give me much to go on. And I think the only contact I've had with Samurai Warriors was through WO3 - any strong opinions one way or the other?

Empires is fun but there's not a ton to get out and collect, so much as enjoying randomized scenarios and doing the RTS stuff. If you're looking for more DW7 story campaign oriented content then DW8:XL and SW4 are what you're looking for. 8:XL didn't change the formula much but all the new content over 7 is nice and there are technical improvements. SW4 will be more of a change of pace and its got plenty to do as well. You can't really go wrong with either and though I personally preferred the combat in DW8 the custom character stuff in SW4 was a great time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you're on PC keep in mind the the SW4 on there is actually SW4-II, which standalone expansion to the original game and has less content than your average Warriors title, though it's still like 30 hours vs 60. From what I remember it includes all the characters but only the new ones to the expansion get full campaigns.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Disappointed that Berserk is going to be single player only. All these games should have at least some kind of coop option.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Hmm... how about Bladestorm? It looks a little janky, but like the sort of thing that might be really fun in a weird way.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Bladestorm is more like a really bad strategy command thing with very light combat input, except the gimmick of switching out for weapon advantage doesn't work because your stats get overblown so easily that there's no point.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The infuriating thing to me is that advancement to new unit types and story progress in Bladestorm is based on certain missions showing up, and I spent hours clearing entire maps inside of 3 to 5 minutes apiece just trying to get those story missions to show up and they never would.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 30, 2016

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So was there a general consensus on the Berserk game? I know it doesn't come out for another 2 months or so here but curious.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fumaofthelake posted:

Disappointed that Berserk is going to be single player only. All these games should have at least some kind of coop option.

Is it going to be extra graphically punchy or something or have they not offered an explanation for the lack of co-op?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

Hmm... how about Bladestorm? It looks a little janky, but like the sort of thing that might be really fun in a weird way.

PC version of Bladestorm is barely in working condition.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Fumaofthelake posted:

No online co-op or no co-op period, not even split screen?

That's a pretty big step down imo. The reason dw3 was loads of fun for me was because of splitscreen.

"oh gently caress it's Lu bu. he's coming. I'm holding him off. Run!!!. Health is down, he's about to kill me, come back and distract him. I'm getting health"

I have fond memories of splitscreen Hu Lao Gate

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah occasionally Koei just does that, usually for the first in a new series like that and DQH, the sequel to which has actual co op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fire Emblem warriors, fuckers