Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Thanks! Is that why sin taxes are bad too?

Generally, yes. Also because those are addictive substances and you are directly profiting off the misery of your fellow man. So the GOP love em!

I'd guess Ed Balls does too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Thanks! Is that why sin taxes are bad too?

more or less, you can at least argue that sin taxes are discouraging forces for things harmful to society as a whole but, yea once again the poor bear more of a burden than the rich do and...ya know you've never seen a rich guy get choked to death by cops selling loosies before because they almost always find a way for their form of the vice to be safe from taxes. I remember in the ~cigar community~ there was recently a huge turmoil over the possibility of more well regulated standards for different cigars, and what a shock tons of people came out to be all 'YOU'RE KILLING OUR ART FORM WE ARE CLASSY BOYS WHO AREN'T FILTHY PROLES HOW DARE???'

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
so yeah it goes

fine based revenue
fees and licenses
sin taxes
sales taxes
flat income taxes
progressive income taxes
wealth taxes

for most regressive to most progressive

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.

Horseshoe theory posted:

Not sure why it's bad to have an income tax as opposed to a sales tax since sales taxes are regressive as poo poo...?

because it comes in one big chunk at tax time instead of just whenever you make a purchase throughout the year so it hits harder. I'm biased due to being a tax preparer tho. nothing like seeing a client cry because they can't afford to pay the state

Also Oregon does this fun thing where if it has a surplus it gets kicked back to the tax payers as an extra refund instead of going into a rainy day fund, so of course when people's incomes tank due to economic recession there's no safety cushion so lol time to cut cut cut austerity for the win. We got the kicker last year and let me tell you most people were not impressed with the extra $20 or so they got back

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

issue is that sin taxes are incredibly good at discouraging things like smoking.

sin taxes combined with a public health system the assists in quitting is a fair trade off in my mind but lol we only get one of those

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
sin tax revenue imo should not be allowed to go to the state. too much of a conflict of intereat. same for fines.

those perverse incentives can seriously gently caress the system up long term

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zikan posted:

issue is that sin taxes are incredibly good at discouraging things like smoking.

sin taxes combined with a public health system the assists in quitting is a fair trade off in my mind but lol we only get one of those

yea basically the 'ideal' sin tax is one that goes to fund, say, a robust public health system that includes things like UHC so that the people who'd be harmed with it can be kept healthy as well as away from the vices.

Unfortunately we don't exactly do that last bit, so you wind up with a dude addicted to smoking not being able to afford a pack and being told 'yea sucks for you huh' while a rich dude can buy a carton without worrying.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

there should be a sin tax on private jets and private flights to convince people to quit

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
this thread gets p D&D jfc

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

there should be a sin tax on private jets and private flights to convince people to quit

agreedo, we can use it to help fund the FAA, I'm sure they can use some help modernizing things to help deal with things like some rando internet rich person deciding he needs a private jet or whatever.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

bump_fn posted:

this thread gets pretty everything all the time pretty much doesnt it?

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.

bump_fn posted:

I'm sorry I brought up taxes and state policy eat the rich and centrists

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this is, appropriately, a big tent thread

a few days ago everyone talked about tabletop RPGs for like, 15 pages. things happen

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Zikan posted:

WRONG!

http://www.nber.org/papers/w18326

There is a general consensus among policymakers that raising tobacco taxes reduces cigarette consumption. However, evidence that tobacco taxes reduce adult smoking is relatively sparse. In this paper, we extend the literature in two ways: using data from the Current Population Survey Tobacco Use Supplements we focus on recent, large tax changes, which provide the best opportunity to empirically observe a response in cigarette consumption, and employ a novel paired difference-in-differences technique to estimate the association between tax increases and cigarette consumption. Estimates indicate that, for adults, the association between cigarette taxes and either smoking participation or smoking intensity is negative, small and not usually statistically significant. Our evidence suggests that increases in cigarette taxes are associated with small decreases in cigarette consumption and that it will take sizable tax increases, on the order of 100%, to decrease adult smoking by as much as 5%.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Organizing in non-party leftist organizations (like the DSA) while attempting to reform/overthrow the current Democratic party is the right answer.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Ace of Baes posted:

I would vote for Kanye West/Killer Mike 2020. (Or Talib Kweli)

i don't want an antivaxxer vp

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

zen death robot posted:

Oh to still have hope

rebellions are built on hope

seriously though, i enjoy pessimism and fatalism as gallows humor to cope with a dire situation, but we're all in this together and the work must start with us

i believe in you

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
people on the left and people on the right have drastically different approaches to politics which explains why leftists want to burn it all down and hide in ideologically pure groups to kneecap the dems, while evangelical born-again whites are slobbering over donald j. trump, known adulterer

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

logikv9 posted:

http://www.indems.org/governor-pence-chooses-ideology-over-recommendations-from-medical-professionals-on-hpv-letter/

Close enough?
Also Killer Mike's crazy views are balanced by the fact that he would arm the proletariat with AK-47s.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

logikv9 posted:

by the time trump is done we will all be antivaxxers and for good reason lol

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
One of the reasons why the Oregon income tax is so dumb is that anytime we get a surplus it gets refunded back to the tax payers aka "the kicker" instead of putting it into a rainyday fund for economic downturns. That means that the average tax payer gets an extra $20-50 back during good years and anytime incomes drop we go into a deficit and cut services. It's the stupidest thing ever but also it's somehow a sacred cow we can't slaughter so the kicker is here to stay

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

zen death robot posted:

Oh to still have hope

Im fueled on high octane hatred and anger.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
our children will all have polio but at least i will have my guns

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the only hope there is to have is through faith in the god emperor. he will defeat russia, imeplement a minincome GMI, bring racial harmony to america and the world, solve the israel palestine issue fairely and justly, rekindle american industry, anyone who wants a dignified well paying job will get one. That is what trump will do.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

logikv9 posted:

people on the left and people on the right have drastically different approaches to politics which explains why leftists want to burn it all down and hide in ideologically pure groups to kneecap the dems, while evangelical born-again whites are slobbering over donald j. trump, known adulterer

i know a few conservatives who voted for trump because at least in part they wanted him to burn it all down

also evangelicals got catered to hard and got a VP maybe the dems should start catering to the left a bit i dunno

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Ace of Baes posted:

Organizing in non-party leftist organizations (like the DSA) while attempting to reform/overthrow the current Democratic party is the right answer.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Arguably now is the best time there's ever been to take over the party, now that the establishment has been so thoroughly, embarrassingly pantsed in front of everyone

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
he will solve the israel/palestine issue by simply turning disputed territories into craters

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

logikv9 posted:

he will solve the israel/palestine issue by simply turning disputed territories into craters

thats not fairly and justly :| i said fairely and justly

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Baloogan posted:

thats not fairly and justly :| i said fairely and justly

it's fair and just to trump, who is tired of their squabble taking up primetime news when they should be covering his newest hotel

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

logikv9 posted:

it's fair and just to trump, who is tired of their squabble taking up primetime news when they should be covering his newest hotel

lol

also note that israel has turned into a partisan issue

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
how close are we to a republican constitutional convention?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

zen death robot posted:

I cannot stress this enough, that the state level is possibly more important right now than the federal level at this point

Yup- I've been doing research on the situation in MA and its more dire than it might seem at first

Baloogan posted:

the only hope there is to have is through faith in the god emperor. he will defeat russia, imeplement a minincome GMI, bring racial harmony to america and the world, solve the israel palestine issue fairely and justly, rekindle american industry, anyone who wants a dignified well paying job will get one. That is what trump will do.

hahajahahahaha

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

zen death robot posted:

I cannot stress this enough, that the state level is possibly more important right now than the federal level at this point

gotta primary the poo poo out of some dems and beat down some gopers in contested seats

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The DSA is probably close to what the left's gonna get as a tea party analogue

Too bad they got a six year head start

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Official DNC List of 2020 Strategies

1. Put Hamilton on Netflix

2. Lena Dunham Emojis

3. App that plays clips of Trump saying offensive things

4. 27-Part Student Loan Refinancing Plan

5. "#NotMyPresident" iPhone cases

6. Call progressives the "alt-left"

7. More popular culture references for the millennials

8. Shame Trump voters

9. "Tootin' Putin"

10. Fundraise by selling $10 safety pins to supporters.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

why would I put any stock into a strategy list that doesn't include katy perry

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Didn't know you worked for the DNC. :twisted:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hello thread. Is Clinton still bad and are the Democrats still hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Not a Step posted:

Hello thread. Is Clinton still bad and are the Democrats still hosed?

Yes, No

• Locked thread