Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Didn't see it mentioned here but may have missed it, you can get a free pack for Let It Die if you have PS+:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...SPLUSPACK000000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xxEightxx posted:

We all on the Let it Die hype wagon, right?

I am not but I want to be. I like the style but it seems like an absolutely terrible game in just about every regard. I really want to know why people are getting so into it. Not being sarcastic I really want to be sold on it or at least figure out what the appeal is.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I said come in! posted:

lol the Wii U...sold less then the Sega Dreamcast.

More "facts" from the man who brought you "No one is buying a 3DS this holiday".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I am not but I want to be. I like the style but it seems like an absolutely terrible game in just about every regard. I really want to know why people are getting so into it. Not being sarcastic I really want to be sold on it or at least figure out what the appeal is.

Same here. The combat and gameplay is just bad. poo poo plays like a budget ps3 title. The roguelike elements, music and style the game is going for are fine. I'll give them credit for making the f2p stuff minimally intrusive as possible.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The last guardian was a mistake. Should have let this poo poo die years ago.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So far my PS4 library since I got it just a few weeks ago (i don't include free PS Plus tittles:

-Bloodborne GOTY (retail)
-Uncharted 4 (retail)
-Dark Souls 2 SOTFS
-Doom 2016 (retail)
-Uncharted 1/2/3 and PES2017 from this sale.

I have still budget for something that is 10€ or less, what would be a PS4 must buy tittle with that price?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not sure what is on sale or not but The last of us and until dawn would be good cheap ones to pick up.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

veni veni veni posted:

It's free, it's a strategy (vs button mash) hack and slash with roguelikelite elements. Also got enough ig quirky lore that sets it aside from a standard fantasy dungeon crawler. As someone who never played the ds or bb games (and generally don't like that style) I'm having a fun time with it. Seems to tow the line between the more hardcore elements of ds/bb that had a filthy casual like me avoiding those games.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

The last guardian was a mistake. Should have let this poo poo die years ago.

I think I am about 80% through it and The Last Guardian is quite good. It's definitely made by the Ico/SotC people, so there probably would have been similar complaints if it came out eight years ago.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Guillermus posted:

So far my PS4 library since I got it just a few weeks ago (i don't include free PS Plus tittles:

-Bloodborne GOTY (retail)
-Uncharted 4 (retail)
-Dark Souls 2 SOTFS
-Doom 2016 (retail)
-Uncharted 1/2/3 and PES2017 from this sale.

I have still budget for something that is 10€ or less, what would be a PS4 must buy tittle with that price?

If you like turn based xcom (1) is probably dirt cheap.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

yea I was digging the aesthetic and uncle death is great but the gameplay is just so goddamn bad

the changes they made to the dark souls control scheme are baffling and awful

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

xxEightxx posted:

It's free, it's a strategy (vs button mash) hack and slash with roguelikelite elements. Also got enough ig quirky lore that sets it aside from a standard fantasy dungeon crawler. As someone who never played the ds or bb games (and generally don't like that style) I'm having a fun time with it. Seems to tow the line between the more hardcore elements of ds/bb that had a filthy casual like me avoiding those games.

Let it Die is massively meaner to the player than the Souls games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

xxEightxx posted:

Forgot to mention that I have a huge steam and xbox360 library (I'm a sperg) and I own Enemy Within on both :shepface:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

xxEightxx posted:

XCOM 2 is cheap already, XCOM 1 never came out on PS4 I think?

I was really impressed by XCOM 2 but I don't like how stressed it makes me. :(

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the truth posted:

I think I am about 80% through it and The Last Guardian is quite good. It's definitely made by the Ico/SotC people, so there probably would have been similar complaints if it came out eight years ago.

Eh, i think there would have been more tolerance for some of the games failing back then. For the record Ico is good and sotc is one of the best games ever, but the last guardian is just so unfun and tedious to play.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I've had a PS4 since launch but it's only dawned on me to ask now: are download speeds capped? It took three loving hours last night to download the 11GB patch for FFXV. I consistently get 8MB/s download speeds through Steam so I know my internet is capable of downloading large patches like that in a fraction of the time. That must mean Sony implemented some kind of throttling, right?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

IAmKale posted:

I've had a PS4 since launch but it's only dawned on me to ask now: are download speeds capped? It took three loving hours last night to download the 11GB patch for FFXV. I consistently get 8MB/s download speeds through Steam so I know my internet is capable of downloading large patches like that in a fraction of the time. That must mean Sony implemented some kind of throttling, right?

No, just poo poo servers

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I never get 100% of my 200 mb line, the best it does is 50% of that and if I don't keep an eye on it it will suddenly drop to background download speed (like 1-2 mb) regardless of being in rest mode or there being a game open or not. so I have to pause and I pause it. I assume this is a server side problem since I too do not experience problems with steam or xbl, only psn.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Whatever Sony is using to do load balancing is garbage. You can roll the dice by canceling and restarting the download and sometimes I get several MBps and sometimes it's closer to 400k.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The Wifi on the base PS4 is the worst piece of poo poo ever, particularly when downloading from the Store. My MacBook pro that's a few years older than the PS4 model I own is way way better and also supports 5ghz. Your best bet is to do a network test while it's downloading, that usually gets things moving quicker.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

XCOM 2 is cheap already, XCOM 1 never came out on PS4 I think?

I was really impressed by XCOM 2 but I don't like how stressed it makes me. :(

It was cheaper on steam last I checked, PS4 is like 35 or something with whatever sale. But there is also dlc etc. I ended up doing most my xcom on my phone in hoping they release xcom2 in iOS as well.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Of course it's cheaper on Steam, it was released like seven months later on ps4 (late September).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I've got €30 in my Paypal.... Rise of Tomb Raider????

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I was wondering about this actually. Though I'm concerned that UNCHARTED 4 kind of spoiled that style of gameplay for me.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Rise has a poo poo load of content at least, so you'd be busy for a while. It's a bigger, more explosiony version of the first game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xxEightxx posted:

It was cheaper on steam last I checked, PS4 is like 35 or something with whatever sale. But there is also dlc etc. I ended up doing most my xcom on my phone in hoping they release xcom2 in iOS as well.

This might have been what you meant and I'm misreading but the dlc isn't included on PS4. It was released the same day as the game which is the ripest bullshit I've seen in a while.

Xcom 2 is a good game but gently caress 2K for charging 20 dollars for old dlc on a long overdue sloppy rear end port.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I liken it to being like if the Bloodborne Chalice Dungeons has some real style to them. The combat is, while less refined, reminiscent of Demon's Souls but with the quirks that a Suda game affords it, like making a hot iron a decent weapon. And then there's a skateboarding grim reaper calling my senpai while I have jpop or buttrock in the background

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you played the first reboot it's basically more of the same but slightly worse, not bad enough to be unenjoyable as long as you liked the first one, it just runs into the 'Gotta stuff poo poo to do in an open world' problem that a lot of big budget games seem to have. Also the story is amazingly poo poo but ignorable.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting hooked on Let It Die. The combat is not very soulslike, and trying to play it like ds or bb makes it feel really bad. It's much more of a straight brawler. The roguelike elements are real cool, and jnventory management is pretty much in the sweet spot. It the gameplay works pretty well with the setting. It feels really brutal. The durability system is great. Beating people to death with poo poo until it breaks is awesome. Putting your machete away because some lowlife isn't worth it and using your fists instead rules.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love the style of Let it Die, it kind of reminds me of God Hand in a lot of ways, it's got that same zany presentation and over the top characters. Hell, even the combat in God Hand was a similar level of janky but Let it Die just feels kind of unrefined in way I can't get to grips with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've heard people say it a better version of the Chalice dungeons a few times now, but barring the obvious thing about BB having substantially better combat I still don't see what is supposed to make it better. Like, I could probably forgive the combat in LID easier, if it wasn't so boring to explore. There seems to only be a handful of almost empty rooms that repeat all of the time and each area seems so linear that it's pretty much a straight shot to the next floor. At least the chalice dungeons had some variety (probably not as much as people wanted) many enemy types and tons of directions to explore and they looked cool.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I haven't played it but considering they sell continues, there's the usual defense of "they're very generous with the premium currency", and it's F2P I'm going to put my money on the gameplay loop being designed to be as addictive as possible which translates to it being good.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I've heard people say it a better version of the Chalice dungeons a few times now, but barring the obvious thing about BB having substantially better combat I still don't see what is supposed to make it better. Like, I could probably forgive the combat in LID easier, if it wasn't so boring to explore. There seems to only be a handful of almost empty rooms that repeat all of the time and each area seems so linear that it's pretty much a straight shot to the next floor. At least the chalice dungeons had some variety (probably not as much as people wanted) many enemy types and tons of directions to explore and they looked cool.

The thing is that the Chalice didn't really have that variety besides maybe a new filter for Loran and Isz. The Tower better expands on its layouts and even has wholly new locales. The enemy types also expand as the game progresses so by the first boss there are already 4 different types of tubers that you have to react to differently.

The greater amount of directions in a Chalice probably would have been better if the Chalices weren't both kind of ugly and completely at odds with the rest of Bloodborne. That's my take on it. I actually want to continue on to discover more of the Tower whereas the Chalices were only really good for hiding a couple neat bosses.

E: it also helps that this is a game made around the whole concept whereas the Chalices were side content to a much better game

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

How many floors did you make it through? I'm not doing the "git gud" thing or being a dick, but you are riight for the first few floors, they are pretty much straight lines to the next (or at best a T shape with two exits, one that is probably locked until you progress further) but futher up the tower there are more complex layouts. The fact they are made from certain prefab pieces reskinned and put together in various different combinations doesnt change, but there is a bigger variety of pieces for the game to use than the first 4-ish floors would suggest.

I mean, if you dont like it fair enough I'm no trying to convince anyone. But I'm digging what I've played (I'm ony on about floor 11 myself, but I've unlocked and explored all the side levels up to their as well). Honestly I wish it wasnt free to play, I'd cheerfully have paid actual money for a more fair version of this without the ftp elements. Stuff like there being no I-frames on the dodge are obvious deliberate decisions to make you die more often to encourage you to use premium currency. By and large its not too bad, but there are moments when I've had obvious bullshit deaths that have irritated the hell out of me. Still, its managed to hook me in for the time being.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

veni veni veni posted:

Let it Die changes up it's style every ten floors, there's a surprising amount of variety. It's just that the first part of the game is an ugly sewer level.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The elements of a good game are in LID but being a F2P game kills it. The combination of third person hack n' slash, resource scarcity, and managing a roster of characters is great but the way the game's balanced means you either have to grind rare materials for hours, use degenerate strategies like stacking slowdown & invisibility, or credit feed. If it were a game I could just buy and beat in 30 hours I'd love it.

The big thing it does that BB's Chalice dungeon fails at is having constant meaningful loot. Since your poo poo is constantly breaking every weapon drop or useful mushroom matters for just getting to the next elevator. Unfortunately once you start getting into the higher floors the resource costs in materials and coins increase faster than your income can.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's cool. I never made it past that first sewer and honestly didn't know if that was the whole game or what.

And yeah, I've defended the Chalice dungeons before, as I think they are better than people give them credit for (no idea how someone can find them ugly) but their ultimate failure was that they failed to provide any sort of carrot on a stick. The pre made ones were worth a playthrough, but with the random ones it was just like, "why would I need to play these"

I would kill for a standalone Chalice dungeon game properly designed as a rougelite where you roll a new character and get loot. Add some more room variety and enemy types and I would play that poo poo forever.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 24, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There are 4 pre-fab styles. Each one lasts for 10 floors. Enemy variety is non-existent and are defined by the weapons and armor they have equipped. There are tuber enemies that get stronger every 10 floors and have different moves but they also have the same weakness. The chalice dungeons are better for the sheer fact that they're dense. Starting from floor 11 the connecting pieces of the tower end up being long slogs that waste your time. You'll send most of your time sprinting through them because if you take too long they'll spawn in level 200 enemies that teleport around and can instantly kill you.

It's also incredibly grindy. Imagine doing the Chalice dungeons for those gems but instead of being an optional thing that'd give you a little extra edge on the main path, it's a necessary requirement to progress forward. Oh and the chalice dungeons are optional, the tower is the main game. The game certainly has potential but it's not that good. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

The Chalices probably aren't that ugly at first, they just don't feel like a particularly interesting aesthetic to stretch out the way that they do and I was very tired of it by the time I stopped doing them. It doesn't help that there is little to mix up the Loran and Isz chalices besides a filter. Then when you realize that these are supposed to be the remains of actual civilizations it becomes even more disappointing because that's just not how they are designed. A better method, I feel, would have been designing actual Bloodborne-quality levels with some of the dungeon stuff as part of what you could explore in the pre-made areas and have the root chalices delve further into those dungeons. But the Chalices really aren't an important enough aspect of the game to put that level of depth into so I understand why they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Sounds like it's got the same issues as most F2P games where you're constantly wondering how much of the design has been compromised to get you to spend money. Grind and repetition are fine and valid aspects of game design but when the grind can be circumvented by spending $13.99 I can't help but think they're wasting my time.

• Locked thread