Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/relay_sc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

peter gabriel posted:

Lumberbackers
Slumberyard.
Lumbaryard.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Are they salty or is it all good for sc

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

Good god, how many cookies does that make, like a hundred and fifty?

Around there yeah. But you're only supposed to make them once a year and give them to family as gifts (of course keeping a few for yourself as well).

I usually keep a cookie tins worth.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

TheLightPurges posted:

Are they salty or is it all good for sc

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Edit

MedicineHut posted:

Did anyone say Dumberyard yet?
:argh:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Not quiiite, I was even wrong about that bit. 3.8 is like in limbo. "Cryengine 4" is the 3.6.x line (Crytek did decide to change their branding back in 2013, decoupling the internal version numbers from what they called the engine- 3.6.x is called "Cryengine 4", for example), and then 3.8 was released as a major update at the same time as the 5.0 line, but never given it's own public name. But both of them have many overlapping features (OpenGL support, VR support), and there were 3.8.x updates released after the first 5.0/"Cryengine 5" release.

I guess the most important feature to be in 5.0 that is not in earlier lines is Direct X 12 support.

Forget DX12, Vulkan owns.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:lol: the saddest santa

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

join us erris, come join the righteous

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
That's him, in the lower right corner. Smart swatting advocate.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

HycoCam posted:

Where s the interview with Brian Chambers at GamesCom where he talks about the work CIG has done customizing CryEngine when he talks about 50% of the code is new. The Chambers interview, the part of the letter talking about the conversion has been going on for over a year,

I need this.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure I've posted links to two CIG devs making twitter complaints about Amazon missing delivery dates over the last year but the effort of finding them is too great.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

hanales posted:

Around there yeah. But you're only supposed to make them once a year and give them to family as gifts (of course keeping a few for yourself as well).

I usually keep a cookie tins worth.

Ah that makes more sense. I was afraid you were making a Benlunch

Ben Fat :(

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

orcinus posted:

Star Citizen: This is a good thing ™

I'm sorry, but 'Actually, This is a good thing™' is already the trademarked slogan for Bitcoin.

However, as they both share a similar development history, community and level of success, I'm sure a licensing deal could be struck - I heard CIG is big on those these days

Serak fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 24, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Samizdata posted:

Well, as was recently posted on Reddit, CryEngine 5 is really CryEngine 3.8. Which led me to comment that I can see where CIG's confusion with version numbers comes in.

We just did that dance rofl.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Samizdata posted:

Forget DX12, Vulkan owns.

Probably, but that's not listed in the release notes for the 5.x branches that I read :haw:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Merry Christmas to all those at CIG and affiliated shell corporations

May you find new employment in 2017 and are able to live with yourselves for all the fleecing you contributed to

Ben , Sandi , Chris , Ortwin. Good luck living a happy life with 500k angry nerds constantly out to get you

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Four years deep, and they switch engines. Lol.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Slumberyard.
Lumbaryard.

Starjacks

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

They don't look very merry.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Four years derp, and they switch engines. Lol.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The guy in the upper right said Godus was bad because Peter Molyneux wasn't more involved in it and then he bashed the original Black and White.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

:yikes:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I actually have a close relative that works for Amazon and confirmed Amazon gave them no mo way at all. Merry Christmas all.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Hi I'm an indie developer who just licensed the Star Engine for $40,000 and was wonder how this affect me since support will not respond to me until Jan 3.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

The guy in the upper right said Godus was bad because Peter Molyneux wasn't more involved in it and then he bashed the original Black and White.

Overall, it was a bad stream, although I did learn that absolutely no time was wasted in switching to a not-new-engine so that's all good for CiG

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Wrecked Angle posted:

Hmm, frame rates are up a bit but level of detail is down... What could this mean? Almost like you can't have 'max fidelity' in a large scale multiplayer environment without tanking performance.

Or maybe they aren't and this is a nice example of placebo at work.
Framerates are up => average backer thinks that means graphics quality *must* be lower.

Because in the world of StarEngine, poo poo just can't be smoother, there has to be a huge drop in graphics quality, and even then, it's unlikely the framerate is gonna get higher.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Decrepus posted:

Hi I'm an indie developer who just licensed the Star Engine for $40,000 and was wonder how this affect me since support will not respond to me until Jan 3.

Moved to concern.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Four years deep, and they switch engines. Lol.
You clearly don't understand the brilliance of Chris Roberts. This is only the first engine swap. Before Crobbers is done, he'll want to switch engines at least twice more before announcing CIG will develop their own proprietary engine. Most games you see only need one engine, some have used two--but Star Citizen is so revolutionary, it will need five.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

We just did that dance rofl.

Yeah, I know, but past posting sucks.

Gwaihir posted:

Probably, but that's not listed in the release notes for the 5.x branches that I read :haw:

Whoops! Sorry. I let reality interfere again. Silly me!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Imagine being a backer trying to justify a game engine change 4 years into dev in a game that you've put four to five figures USD in and been trying to support in the face of growing displeasure and negative press.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xaerael posted:

Imagine being a backer trying to justify a game engine change 4 years into dev in a game that you've put four to five figures USD in and been trying to support in the face of growing displeasure and negative press.

Reddit is an incredible enabler. It may not really be that hard.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: I've spent $15,000 on this and don't even get free one day delivery.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Before

After

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
CryEngine was chosen in 2011.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business relationship with you. I have the believe you are a reputable and responsible and trustworthy person I can do business with from the little information so far I gathered about you during my search for a partner and by matter of trust I must not hesitate to confide in you for this simple and sincere business.

I am Chris Roberts 48 years of age the only designer of late Wing Commander whom was killed by the publishers that attacked our company and took over our studio (ORIGIN). I ran to Kickstarter the economical capital of CIG from were I am contacting you. Before the death of my game I had a sum of US$140,000,000(One hundred forty million united states dollars) kept in a studio here in CIG in my name to make the best drat space sim,

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Alahu akhbarjack.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
LOL RSI engine switch - pollthread closed
"Thread closed as the move already happened"
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7391498/#Comment_7391498

:newlol:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

LastCaress posted:

CryEngine was chosen in 2011.

And look how far they have come!
:gary:
Well...fundingwise...gamewise not so much with a PoC Tech pre Alpha @ 25fps and 1,7 % of the stretchgoals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Good Dumplings posted:

permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business relationship with you. I have the believe you are a reputable and responsible and trustworthy person I can do business with from the little information so far I gathered about you during my search for a partner and by matter of trust I must not hesitate to confide in you for this simple and sincere business.

I am Chris Roberts 48 years of age the only designer of late Wing Commander whom was killed by the publishers that attacked our company and took over our studio (ORIGIN). I ran to Kickstarter the economical capital of CIG from were I am contacting you. Before the death of my game I had a sum of US$140,000,000(One hundred forty million united states dollars) kept in a studio here in CIG in my name to make the best drat space sim,

This is very close to reality at this point. :lol:

edit: tax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g75nHPfHhk