Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know if they still drop glamours but they used to and you can game them by using the wards in the academy.

Man that event and contest was such a shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Haha yeah, I afk farmed about a million of them in 2012. :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

Haha yeah, I afk farmed about a million of them in 2012. :v:

Yeah pretty sure I still have glamours from that I am glad the contest was garbage though because I like my akab pet.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

Yeah pretty sure I still have glamours from that I am glad the contest was garbage though because I like my akab pet.
I only just gave away all my glamours at halloween, then got a bunch more from doing the dungeon again this year for the lore. And yeah, the mothdog is ace. :v:

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Didn't the Akab pet have bug that caused it to attack other players?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Variable Haircut posted:

What you call a bug I call a feature.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Variable Haircut posted:

At least you can't be surprised, Hugh :D

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

macnbc posted:

What you call a bug I call a feature.

I think other familiars. And it was adorable.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Pilchenstein posted:

Server choice doesn't matter, everyone can do everything with each other regardless.

Also, in the spirit of festive jesus or whathaveyou, if anyone wants help with any part of the game just add me on steam and hit me up (timezone permitting): http://steamcommunity.com/id/darth_pingu/

Alright thanks!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Logging back into this for the first time in a while to discover I have a PC in Kingsmouth with the rudiments of a Blade/Pistol deck, but not the faintest idea where I was going with it. I wish there was an in-game build planner that saved that stuff for you.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Aw man my demon spacebug just does a dance, he dosent attack other pets at all.
So I finally got past Scorching Desert and into City of Sun God and man is it easier, the story is awesome too and the Black Pyramid with the crazy sun thing is an awesome central setpiece.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Egypt usually gets a bad rap but I really like the story there. Though I like the story everywhere, to be fair.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Bought it and running around with blood and shotguns.

Quick question, do I really only need one building attack/ability as long as it build resources for each equipped weapon?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Geokinesis posted:

Bought it and running around with blood and shotguns.

Quick question, do I really only need one building attack/ability as long as it build resources for each equipped weapon?

Correct. When you're starting you'll probably have two just because there aren't many abilities but overall you just need the one

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Len posted:

Correct. When you're starting you'll probably have two just because there aren't many abilities but overall you just need the one

Hmm I wonder how to build round when I get more as right now I have the basic shotgun one with the passive that makes it weaken enemies, as I changed from blood to chaos and I've several passives now that increase my evasion when attacked by weakened enemies and that evading an attack gives me damage mitigation.

Also I thanks to krampus I fought Cthulhu (ur draug) in piss stained pants and mismatched socks :cool:

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Thanks to FadedReality I now have this game!

I'm playing as Yong-gon "JucheMane" Choi with the Dragon faction on Arcadia RP.

Going with this build: https://www.tswdb.com/builds/beginner-solo/bladechaos-solo-ql-1-8-build

Hope to see some of you goons on there!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Panama Red posted:

Thanks to FadedReality I now have this game!

I'm playing as Yong-gon "JucheMane" Choi with the Dragon faction on Arcadia RP.

Going with this build: https://www.tswdb.com/builds/beginner-solo/bladechaos-solo-ql-1-8-build

Hope to see some of you goons on there!

You'll probably want to drop EscalationIntensity and Elemental Force for Immortal Spirit and Salt in the Wound, but it looks decent enough otherwise.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 25, 2016

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Also it dosent matter what server yer on or what faction you can group with anyone.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Been runnin' around Blue Mountain with this Blade/Pistols deck: http://www.tsw-builder.com/#81v800111144815113813846a10p110141445471366862332

I did a hail mary save on the final boss of Hell Raised after the tank bit it... and the healer, and the other two DPS. It felt pretty good but it gave me a taste for tanking. Where do I wanna go with this, switch out Arterial Pulse for Agitator, Sudden Return for Breakdown? I know a tank wants to Weaken bosses to make DPS lives' easier.

I'm working towards No Love Lost for the chainsaw too, Rotten Teeth is a nice long-duration debuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Reclaimer posted:

Been runnin' around Blue Mountain with this Blade/Pistols deck: http://www.tsw-builder.com/#81v800111144815113813846a10p110141445471366862332

I did a hail mary save on the final boss of Hell Raised after the tank bit it... and the healer, and the other two DPS. It felt pretty good but it gave me a taste for tanking. Where do I wanna go with this, switch out Arterial Pulse for Agitator, Sudden Return for Breakdown? I know a tank wants to Weaken bosses to make DPS lives' easier.

I'm working towards No Love Lost for the chainsaw too, Rotten Teeth is a nice long-duration debuff.

I would drop the pistol and go chaos or hammer. When you first start out tanking there's some "easy mode" threat abilities that you'll want like Crimson Theater and that chaos one that shoots spikes from the ground I can't remember its name but it's a targeted AOE. Both of those do dick for damage but generate extra threat.

Hammer doesn't have an AOE hate builder but it does have stones throw with is a ranged attack that stacks debilitate.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Len posted:

I would drop the pistol and go chaos or hammer. When you first start out tanking there's some "easy mode" threat abilities that you'll want like Crimson Theater and that chaos one that shoots spikes from the ground I can't remember its name but it's a targeted AOE. Both of those do dick for damage but generate extra threat.

Hammer doesn't have an AOE hate builder but it does have stones throw with is a ranged attack that stacks debilitate.

Genuine curiosity as I have no real idea what tanking is like at higher levels of play: Is it really necessary to add more hate builders than Blade Torrent and No Love Lost into the deck with Agitator in there? The pistol stuff is just for funzies, trash waves or fishing for crits to proc Advantage Me. I mostly use the blade stuff for serious fights (Blade Torrent+Clearing the Path for constant penetration to trigger Immortal Spirit, Sudden Return and Arterial Pulse) with a Wanted tossed in whenever the resources are full for a snappy 700-1000 damage (with Agitator that's 2-3k hate unless I'm completely misinformed- and I like the contemptuous animation for it).

Reality Fracture seems pretty cool but it's a 10 sec cooldown so you can't spam it every other builder like CtP. Discouraging; I'm putting together a Blade/Chaos deck and need another Chaos Consumer or else I'm leaving resources on the table in between cycles. Crimson Theatre is the same way.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 28, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's nice to have the extra hate as an oh poo poo button when you're starting out and are possibly undergeared attack stat wise, all it can take is a lucky crit/pen to strip the boss off you and murder the snowflakes.

The biggest reason to go blade/chaos/hammer is they have the impairs you'll need to prevent the party wipe abilities from going off.

I haven't touched the game in awhile so I can't guarantee these abilities all do what they did and I'm doing this from memory so it might not be 100%

My beginner tank build was blade/chaos
Actives:
1: Art of war: multi target AOE impair
that forces up to five targets (more with augments) to fight you for some amount of time.
2: Trial by Swords: single target impair
3: chaotic pull: ranged impair. It doesn't bday it impairs in the tooltip so if they changed it you could slot in any other impair. Helter Skelter is a fun one.
4: clearly the path: blade consumer does something with penetration?
5: crimson theater
6: reality fracture. If you want to you could probably lose this and free up two slots one here and one passive. I'm lazy so I would take Maelstrom or Karma just AoE that I don't have to aim
7: blade torrent

Passives:
1: blade torrent passive
2: that passive that makes all blade/chaos/hammer attacks stack exposed
3: 12 guage
4: agitator (is this the one with the red line to what you hit?)
5: one of the passives that adds ward

And honestly I can't remember the other two off the top of my head. My utility of choice was the chainsaw because rotting teeth stacks hate when you don't have contact. Again I'm going off what I remember from the build I used in 2012 but unless those abilities got overhauled you can still probably tank easy mode with it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Reclaimer posted:

Genuine curiosity as I have no real idea what tanking is like at higher levels of play: Is it really necessary to add more hate builders than Blade Torrent and No Love Lost into the deck with Agitator in there? The pistol stuff is just for funzies, trash waves or fishing for crits to proc Advantage Me. I mostly use the blade stuff for serious fights (Blade Torrent+Clearing the Path for constant penetration to trigger Immortal Spirit, Sudden Return and Arterial Pulse) with a Wanted tossed in whenever the resources are full for a snappy 700-1000 damage (with Agitator that's 2-3k hate unless I'm completely misinformed- and I like the contemptuous animation for it).

The answer to whether you should change is "It depends." At your level you can get away with basically anything. There are a few reasons to think about doing it:

1. Ultimately, there will always be an "ideal" way to do things, in terms of what makes the numbers under the hood work out the best. You don't have to do it, but you are making things harder for yourself.

2. Some weapons have abilities better suited for tanking than others. As Len said, for example, impairs are really nice to have. Eventually they're necessary, but at your level not interrupting something nasty probably won't kill you. At endgame it can wipe the group.

3. If you are eventually thinking you will want to do late/endgame content, you definitely will need to optimize. There are three kinds of dungeons, or at least there were when I was playing regularly: normal, elite, and Nightmare. In normal you can get away with anything, and elite is just normal with bigger numbers. Nightmare adds extra mechanics and makes the numbers REALLY big, and the problem is that Funcom doesn't understand their own game. (That's not an exaggeration. Funcom employees are routinely unable to clear their own Nightmare dungeons. They don't actually test anything to see if it's reasonable, so people have had to find all kinds of crazy workarounds to finish a few of the Nightmare dungeons.) If you want to do those Nightmare dungeons, you're going to have to optimize a lot. That's a really long way off and you will eventually unlock every ability for every weapon, so that doesn't mean you have to do it now. Personally I like to learn the "best" way so that I'm used to doing it when the time comes, but you don't have to. Note also that you can save multiple decks with multiple weapons, so there's no reason you can't have whatever build you feel like for soloing and a different one for tanking dungeons.

quote:

Reality Fracture seems pretty cool but it's a 10 sec cooldown so you can't spam it every other builder like CtP. Discouraging; I'm putting together a Blade/Chaos deck and need another Chaos Consumer or else I'm leaving resources on the table in between cycles. Crimson Theatre is the same way.

The lack of spammability is actually an advantage in many ways. Crimson Theatre and Reality Fracture are persistent ground effects, which has a few benefits. First, you can cast it once and then you don't have to waste any global cooldowns for a while, meaning you are free to press other buttons and do other things. Second, and this is the main reason to go this route, you can lay it down, and not only will it help you keep aggro on everything in the area, it will let you pick up extra things that wander into your vicinity. (Sometimes that's more useful than other times, since your main builder while tanking will likely be a point-blank AOE around you.) That's particularly helpful somewhere like Darkness War, which is all about the adds.

Blade/Chaos with CT and RF were the original recommendations when people were learning how to play, but at least when I played regularly it wasn't considered the ideal anymore. Eventually people got good enough that they didn't need either, which let them use other weapons for other benefits. (A big one is doing more damage. At your level your goal is mainly to stay alive and hold threat, but when you're trying to win a tough fight at endgame, every little bit of damage helps.) It's been a while but I think king poo poo when I played was Blade/Hammer, with neither CT nor RF. I can log in and look up my exact build, but I have no idea if that's still the best.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Raiser did a much better job at explaining things than I did and with blade/pistol in the normal dungeons (first five) you'll probably only experience trouble in Darkness War and maybe Hell Fallen and possibly the Dead Ops fight in Ankh (I hate that dungeon and it's my least played. I honestly don't know).

If you haven't already done the dungeons Darkness War has the gimmick of adds, more adds, and just a couple extra adds so you'll want the AoE abilities to help pick those up. Reality Fracture and Crimson Theater are super helpful there until you get a feel for the adds and when/where they show up.

Hell Fallen can eat a dick.

And Ankh has a fight that's against three special infected Orochi agents the Dead Ops I don't remember what their gimmicks are in normal/elite but eventually they gain the ability to hinder you and then just stack grenade AoEs on your location because they're assholes.

But yeah most of my advice is for when you hit elite/nightmare and the numbers get big and mechanics may or may not work properly, lookin' at you SH 2.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Could someone look at my current Chaos/Shotgun build and provide insight on how it could be made better?
http://www.tsw-builder.com/#57v700702550502504506513p310701710514516551505

See I have 2 builders and potentially I don't need them both?
My thinking for it so far is Pump Action hits in a cone and applies weakness with Sawed Off and with Inevitability the targets attacking give me evasion. After opening with that to actually build I'd use Run Rampant giving me more evasion then whatever consumers and Illusion boosted by Master of illusions if O'm in trouble. All the time Probability gives me damage wards when I dodge.

I think I'm looking at swapping out Chaos Adept & Hit and Run for stuff Contradiction to automatically weaken enemies when I dodge so I wouldn't need to refresh with the Pump Action.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

So add me to the growing list of people who got in on this because it's cheap and the setting always looked cool to me. Couple of random questions:

I assume a good rule of thumb is to raise my skills equally? That is, my Chaos weapon is rank 3, so my Blood weapon and 3 Talisman skills should be rank 3 before I raise it to 4. Also, since Blood's damage boost is related to Blood Offering, is it not a bad idea to raise the Healing skill instead?
Should I be selling or disassembling my unused loot?

Last question is really dorky: Does the tone stay consistent with Kingsmouth? Between the shotgun grandma and Kristen Geary's emails, I got a similar vibe as the Buffy or Supernatural TV shows: it's full of monsters and horror but it's kind of grimly humorous about it all. I have a friend who might be into this if it doesn't disappear up it's own rear end later.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's an element of black comedy running through most of the game - the humour is dropped in a few parts but doesn't get high on its own farts or anything., especially if you're Illuminati.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Each region has its own tone but SI is the most like Buffy. Egypt plays like the Mummy movies goofy action with mummies, cults, generic Middle East Freedom Fighters, and one of your contacts is a chill mummy.

Transylvania is more Van Helsing because it's about a Vampire a crusade being led by Draculas ex-lover but there's also Cold War era bunkers and genetic experiments gone wrong.

A trio of dungeons is about helping a human liberate hell from a fallen angel.

The best dungeon though is the inevitable result of a Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain experimenting with filth down in a sunken Egyptian crypt and it is the best dungeon in the game

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

There's an element of black comedy running through most of the game - the humour is dropped in a few parts but doesn't get high on its own farts or anything., especially if you're Illuminati.

How about if you pick the fanciest looking faction (Templars)?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Geokinesis posted:

How about if you pick the fanciest looking faction (Templars)?

Then you have bad taste :colbert:

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I'm very pleased to hear all this. I was torn between Dragons and Illuminati but I think I'll stick with the big friendly Eye.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Hi, I'm another "Just started playing" post.

I went Claws/Pistols and I've been enjoying running around Kingsmouth so far, but I was kinda stumped on something.

When upgrading your Weapon Skills, sometimes it'll say you unlocked a new ability, but I can't find them on the ability wheel. Does that mean I've just unlocked it for purchase later or something, or am I missing something?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LordHippoman posted:

Hi, I'm another "Just started playing" post.

I went Claws/Pistols and I've been enjoying running around Kingsmouth so far, but I was kinda stumped on something.

When upgrading your Weapon Skills, sometimes it'll say you unlocked a new ability, but I can't find them on the ability wheel. Does that mean I've just unlocked it for purchase later or something, or am I missing something?

The weapon skills each have two unique skills that unlock and upgrade as you pump points into them so maybe that's what you're seeing? It's been so long since I had anything to blow SP on I don't remember.

Aux weapons are done now right?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Len posted:

The weapon skills each have two unique skills that unlock and upgrade as you pump points into them so maybe that's what you're seeing? It's been so long since I had anything to blow SP on I don't remember.

Aux weapons are done now right?

If it helps clarify, I think the skill I got while putting points into Claws Healing was called "Warmth"? But it's not on my bar or anything. I'm probably overlooking something obvious.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LordHippoman posted:

If it helps clarify, I think the skill I got while putting points into Claws Healing was called "Warmth"? But it's not on my bar or anything. I'm probably overlooking something obvious.

It does, that's the passive you get for boosting the fists weapon. It does

Warmth: Your Fist Healing abilities cause the target to receive 0.66% additional healing from all sources. This effect can stack up to 5 times.

Not sure if that's at full rank or not though

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

The advice I was given, and ymmv, was to focus on one weapon skill up to 9 for damage and then pick up a ql10 green weapon. Once you get that it pretty much shreds and it's all downhill from there in filling out all the rest of the essential skills. It's sort of a slog upwards, but I'm at 10 in two weapon skills, all talismans, and like 8 in a third weapon skill now and I'm barely done with Solomon Island.

Just fill out the damage track for now, the secondary track won't help you quest as much and if you try to do both it will take longer to equip high ql weapons.

Based on the valuable insight from itt I've come up with a Blade/Hammer deck ( http://www.tsw-builder.com/#12v211111144270113233176a10p721g21530112862445216a13 ) that I'm filling out now, since I am pretty well satisfied with my solo questing deck. Two impairs, two weakens, I skipped CT for now but might pick that up later. I'm gonna bumble around Egypt for a while and see about getting more purps before I worry about dungeoneering 'cause all my auction house greens are DPS crap but thanks a lot for the advice.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Len posted:

Then you have bad taste :colbert:

Please do not criticise my brilliant taste

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Reclaimer posted:

I'm gonna bumble around Egypt for a while and see about getting more purps before I worry about dungeoneering 'cause all my auction house greens are DPS crap but thanks a lot for the advice.

If you do the Last Train From Cairo questline (Issue 6), the end reward is one of the upgradable 10.1 head talismans that the Venice vendor in the easternmost Marya camp (behind Nassir) sells. Grab the damage one and roll through content with ease. Plus you get to blow people up with C4, travel through time, and fight a guy with a rocket launcher on a moving train.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Len posted:

It does, that's the passive you get for boosting the fists weapon. It does

Warmth: Your Fist Healing abilities cause the target to receive 0.66% additional healing from all sources. This effect can stack up to 5 times.

Not sure if that's at full rank or not though

Oh, thank you, that seems to be it. I was a little worried I'd picked up an Active Abillity I'd missed getting a chance to put on the bar. Although the 7 slots only does seem a bit restrictive, so it seems like I'll need to be kinda picky about what I put on there once I start getting more skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LordHippoman posted:

Oh, thank you, that seems to be it. I was a little worried I'd picked up an Active Abillity I'd missed getting a chance to put on the bar. Although the 7 slots only does seem a bit restrictive, so it seems like I'll need to be kinda picky about what I put on there once I start getting more skills.

Basically once you get late game you'll have two styles of build: fun and effective. The fun build is obviously the soloing one but very few of the fun abilities work effectively for dungeons or nightmare mob areas.

• Locked thread