Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

OSI bean dip posted:

Housing should optimally never cost more than 10-20% of your net income.

uhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Note "should optimally". Obviously "should" and "optimal" is not in play in this market.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The government should optimally be giving me a GMI of approx 20k a year.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
My rent and utilities have never gone above $550 in the eight years I've been down here, but I'm still broke. :(

It's because I'm terrible with money :suicide:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is this an opportunity for humblebragging?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It's the opposite of humblebragging :agesilaus:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
https://howmuch.net/articles/american-spending-past-75-years

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

cool chart but largely irrelevant to the discussion if you don't also have something on there about income.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Jordan7hm posted:

cool chart but largely irrelevant to the discussion if you don't also have something on there about income.

Discussion is on cost of housing and this chart shows the increase in disposable income going toward housing over time :confused:

We're much farther from 20% of income going towards housing than we have ever been.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 25, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

James Baud posted:

Elizabeth Warren, long before entering politics, did write a book that effectively said "essentially all the income from women joining the workforce en masse has gone to (a little bit of paid childcare and) bidding up the housing in good areas".

As such, perhaps we should be lobbying for mortgage qualification to be solely based on the income of the highest earner in the household, protecting people from crippling themselves in the case of divorce, death, job loss, staying home with children, and whatnot.

link to that? I definitely believe it.

and sounds like you don't want people to have housing and want to destroy equity!

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

mastershakeman posted:

link to that? I definitely believe it.

and sounds like you don't want people to have housing and want to destroy equity!

Not sure if this is the same video, but it sounds like the 'Two Income Trap' talk.

https://youtu.be/8GHg3GAeQ1Y

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Tsyni posted:

The government should optimally be giving me a GMI of approx 20k a year.

Yes.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Feel free.

OSI bean dip posted:

I achieve it but even then it's 16% and my wife and I make well above the median wage. It scares the hell out of me for people who pay the same rent (which isn't atrocious) and yet make below median.

The Canadian dream is to stretch to 5-6x earnings for your minimum down payment longest term credit union issued mortgage. its especially delicious to see people stretch so thin to keep up with the Joneses. Rolling 4 year leases, 5x earnings mortgages, working a ft job and ubering on the side, might even do some kijiji arbitrage. What a time to live

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

James Baud posted:

Elizabeth Warren, long before entering politics, did write a book that effectively said "essentially all the income from women joining the workforce en masse has gone to (a little bit of paid childcare and) bidding up the housing in good areas".

As such, perhaps we should be lobbying for mortgage qualification to be solely based on the income of the highest earner in the household, protecting people from crippling themselves in the case of divorce, death, job loss, staying home with children, and whatnot.

This is one of the reasons why I have been saying that we need to steer away from subsidized daycare and instead encourage parents to raise their own children. I don't care if it's the father or the mother that stays at home but someone should stay home and raise the kids. It'd probably also go a long way towards increasing the mental health of young people in this country while boosting the pool of meaningful work available for applicants.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

EvilJoven posted:

This is one of the reasons why I have been saying that we need to steer away from subsidized daycare and instead encourage parents to raise their own children.

I think that genie is pretty much out of the bottle for good. You can encourage them all you want, but the financial numbers still won't add up.

At this point WRT stuff like this, the best we can hope for is poo poo to stem the bleeding, maybe even stop it. But that leg is blown off and into little pieces, it's never getting reattached.

Subsidized daycare would be a major victory to really improve quality of life a little more, a little longer.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
$5 a day daycare would go a long way to addressing debt problems in the middle class.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OSI bean dip posted:

$5 a day daycare would go a long way to addressing debt problems in the middle class.

Ideally.

Conversely it is another $1500 a month in mortgage you can carry.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
subsidized daycare is turning our children into fentanyl addled zombies

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
It wouldn't help people without kids. If the goal is to encourage more kid having, then fine. The better route would be to get to a situation where prices/rent don't require two incomes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Boot and Rally posted:

It wouldn't help people without kids. If the goal is to encourage more kid having, then fine. The better route would be to get to a situation where prices/rent don't require two incomes.

If this were true you'd be asking people to give up even more when choosing not to work. Women in the workforce, or rather two income households, are here to stay.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

If this were true you'd be asking people to give up even more when choosing not to work. Women in the workforce, or rather two income households, are here to stay.

I can't make heads or tails of this statement. Can you be more specific?

E: Are you saying that there will always be dual incomes and so even if housing was reduced to single earner rates that people would still have to give things up to move to single income? If so, how will they be giving up more? A second income is a second income whether it is spent on shelter or anything else.

My point is that the solution to crazy prices for housing is to reduce the cost of housing not policies that allow people to spend more money on housing.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 24, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think even a ~20k GMI could entice a lot of 2 income families to go down to 1. For instance you have a couple with a few kids. One parent makes 40k a year and the other makes 60k a year for a combined income of 100k. If they add up childcare, gardening service, their cleaners, all the times they order out because neither one has any energy to cook after work, maybe it comes to 20k a year. If the 40k earning parent quit their job to be a home-maker they could save that 20k, but they'd also be out another 20k. Some sort of GMI though would balance that out and let them be in more or less the same place financially as when they were working 2 jobs. They're earning less, but they're also saving a ton by actually cooking, doing all their cleaning and gardening and house upkeep them selves, and not having to pay through the nose for childcare and various activities and programs to keep their kids away from the house. They're also probably a lot less stressed (which can save a surprising amount of money). So in a situation like this, the GMI doesn't have to be higher or equal to one of the person's income, it only has to be about equal to their come minus all the other costs related to neither one of them having time to be a full time home-maker or parent.

Of course 2 income people where both are high earning professionals won't give up a 2nd job for 20k when they're each making 100k, yet if they're both making 100k they could easily as a family decided to go 1 income any time they want (or maybe give a poo poo about their careers and actually get some sense of accomplishment??). But those people are fine. It's the sub-100k earning families that need the help and would massively benefit from even a small GMI.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
clearly what needs to happen is polygamy so that 3 income families can outbid 2 income families

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mastershakeman posted:

clearly what needs to happen is polygamy so that 3 income families can outbid 2 income families

You joke but this is already happening. 2 couples will team up to buy a house and live like roomates. I know some people in vancouver, 2 people and a kid who invited the guy's friend to go in 3-way to buy a house with a suite. The suite was not for the 3rd guy, he was to live with them as a roommate, the suite was of course needed to be rented out to make their mortgage payments on top of their 3 combined incomes.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

mastershakeman posted:

Beautiful Bountiful British Columbia

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Watch the liberals push for legal polygamy to help boost housing prices.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

You joke but this is already happening. 2 couples will team up to buy a house and live like roomates. I know some people in vancouver, 2 people and a kid who invited the guy's friend to go in 3-way to buy a house with a suite. The suite was not for the 3rd guy, he was to live with them as a roommate, the suite was of course needed to be rented out to make their mortgage payments on top of their 3 combined incomes.

Amazing

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

This makes total sense. After all, what could possibly go wrong?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Baronjutter posted:

I was in a situation kind of like this last year. My girlfriend at the time was still living with her ex, and then I moved in. It was awkward. Terrible soundproofing in the house didn't help, either.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What kind of moron would go into that situation Jesus Christ lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Me. :smithicide:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

What kind of moron would go into that situation Jesus Christ lol

Us poor east coasters don't understand the trials and tribulations of those out west. They have equity to think about!

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 25, 2018

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Goatman

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 25, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

James Baud posted:

Most people with kids don't want to work - they just have to.

Want to cite a source there?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Source: just something I thought sounded nice

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

This makes total sense. After all, what could possibly go wrong?

Either this is really common or Baron and I knew the same couple + friend.

The friend always kind of had a thing for the girl in the couple and it eventually resulted drunken threesome which made poo poo real weird after.

edit: nope, different people. There were 2 kids in the house.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 25, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Butcher posted:

Either this is really common or Baron and I knew the same couple + friend.

The friend always kind of had a thing for the girl in the couple and it eventually resulted drunken threesome which made poo poo real weird after.

Is this a really clever Vancouver analogy or do you just know weird people?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Subjunctive posted:

the mincome experiment kinda showed this effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 25, 2018