Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm looking to get into sentai, where do I start? I'd like something less serious, if that's a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm looking to get into sentai, where do I start? I'd like something less serious, if that's a factor.

Anything made after 1987

Have fun

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lizard Wizard posted:

Sun Vulcan, Kyoryuger

Carranger or Goonger are both good choices too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lizard Wizard posted:

Zyuranger is a great place to start, especially if you're familiar with the first season of Power Rangers, as it's fun to do comparisons between the two shows

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My vote for your second sentai series is Shinkenger (the Overtime sub) because it's brilliant and has interesting villains and character development, but also giant ridiculous robots, so what might feel tonally inconsistent as a first series may digest better once you have some more familiarity with sentai (and have already been introduced to the tropes, which gives a lot more meaning to some of the points made about just how inspired by kabuki theater sentai really is).

Also, ShinkenBrown. :allears:

Edit Also, the absurd quality difference between Shinkenger and Power Rangers Samurai is really something to behold.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A!
KI!
BA!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
While Dekaranger wasn't for me personally, I could see it fitting that niche of "too goofy to take seriously" while also being praised as good and having some great moments. People suggesting Goonger, however, I don't know what's wrong with them. Nobody should have to watch that.

Waffleman_ posted:

A!
KI!
BA!

If that's where you start, it'll all go over your head save for maybe one episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I dunno, it was my first and I enjoyed it well enough. Sure, there's injokes, but the general gist is there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can watch Akibaranger without watching other shows first but it is best if you have watched other shows first.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Someone post the 'Which Garo is Good Garo' list again.

I have friends who play FFXIV who want to watch more about it.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I started with Gobusters, which is a good place to start because it borrows a bunch of Power Rangers terminology and also is cool as gently caress

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stallion Cabana posted:

Someone post the 'Which Garo is Good Garo' list again.

I have friends who play FFXIV who want to watch more about it.

Good Garo is

Garo Seasons 1, 2, 4 (Zero's side series is also good if you like the character though it's a bit long for the story it has)

The first anime is good at what it is

The first movie/special, the third movie

Bad Garo is

Season 3 arguably, Season 5 unarguably. Blood Moon the second anime without question

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
For some reason I remember Bad GARO being a bigger list than Good GARO. Nice to see I was wrong, at least.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
The Orb finale was good. Orb was good. I love the boys.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

John McClane posted:

The Orb finale was good. Orb was good. I love the boys.

Was Orb streaming

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Parallax posted:

I started with Gobusters, which is a good place to start because it borrows a bunch of Power Rangers terminology and also is cool as gently caress

Same. The only caveat here is it sets a super high bar for subsequent series - only Shinkenger and Kyouruger have been around the same standard that I've seen.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Lizard Wizard posted:

Boukenger.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ultraman Orb had a pretty good finale. Which is honestly rare- in Ultraman and in Toku in general.

The best finale might still be UltraSeven's, just for how loving big it all was, and I bring that up because Orb's ending, specifically the last meeting between Gai and the girl, takes a few cues from the farewell between Dan and Anne.

Also yeah Orb is up for streaming check it out. It's a pretty drat solid series- not as good consistently as Mebius, but it also doesn't drag its feet like Mebius could or have as low lows.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Has someone besides TVN finished it because don't tell people to watch TVN garbage

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Only downside of Gobusters is that you'll never again be able to hear "It's Morphin' Time" without your brain mentally completing it with "Let's Morphing!"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Really the only obnoxiously bad recent sentai is Ninninger, IMO. Everything else has at least some merit.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Poison Mushroom posted:

Really the only obnoxiously bad recent sentai is Ninninger, IMO. Everything else has at least some merit.

Goseiger wasn't good either, and I really disliked Go-Onger but apparently that isn't as common of an opinion.

Dekaranger seems like a pretty good starting point, it worked well for both me and a friend. Kyoryuger is the kind of show I feel anyone could get into too.

In other series news, I went back to Nexus after leaving for months (and watching slowly in general due to being occupied and being bad at watching a lot in a row). I'll put this under spoilers just to be careful. I left at Himeya's death and I was definitely worried about the next Ultraman after seeing he wasn't Komon, but my worries didn't last, Ren is great. I love him. Too bad he's got less than a year left to live and he seems to really want to cut even that lifespan short, because he's a great character and he's a wonder to behold in combat too with his more acrobatic style. And pretty much all of Ren's interactions are great, with his "cousin", his love interest and his one friend.

I definitely didn't like how Mizorogi gets redeemed though. It felt horribly forced, we went through a lot of the series seeing him as the ultimate evil, a monster with no real redeeming features, just saying OH HE WAS POSSESSED ALL ALONG then killing him off does not work. It was sloppy. How Nagi seems to immediately forgive him also feels wrong with how much she hated him before.

Oh and I like Eiyuu more than Aoi Kajitsu but that's a minor thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Goseiger wasn't good either, and I really disliked Go-Onger but apparently that isn't as common of an opinion.

Dekaranger seems like a pretty good starting point, it worked well for both me and a friend. Kyoryuger is the kind of show I feel anyone could get into too.

In other series news, I went back to Nexus after leaving for months (and watching slowly in general due to being occupied and being bad at watching a lot in a row). I'll put this under spoilers just to be careful. I left at Himeya's death and I was definitely worried about the next Ultraman after seeing he wasn't Komon, but my worries didn't last, Ren is great. I love him. Too bad he's got less than a year left to live and he seems to really want to cut even that lifespan short, because he's a great character and he's a wonder to behold in combat too with his more acrobatic style. And pretty much all of Ren's interactions are great, with his "cousin", his love interest and his one friend.

I definitely didn't like how Mizorogi gets redeemed though. It felt horribly forced, we went through a lot of the series seeing him as the ultimate evil, a monster with no real redeeming features, just saying OH HE WAS POSSESSED ALL ALONG then killing him off does not work. It was sloppy. How Nagi seems to immediately forgive him also feels wrong with how much she hated him before.

Oh and I like Eiyuu more than Aoi Kajitsu but that's a minor thing.

Oh it wasn't just possession.

It was just himself but more.

And don't think for a moment Nagi is over this yet.

Let me know when you get to the finale I need to explain a few things about the last episode and what was supposed to happen- if it wasn't for the network cancelling the show ten episodes early at the last minute

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

If that's where you start, it'll all go over your head save for maybe one episode.

Eh, Akiba S1 is more about otaku poo poo in general with the sentai riffs being about general conventions; only s2 really focuses in on sentai trivia.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 25, 2016

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Magiranger is a pretty good starting point too, solid series with a pretty strong theme that seems to have sprung from Japan discovering Harry Potter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MagiKing is also one of the best base Mecha in recent memory

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
please stop telling people to watch shows where the only complete subs are by tvn, i will call the police

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Or you could ignore all these bad opinions and watch kakuranger or sun vulcan.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sun Vulcan is a pretty loving strong choice, won't lie.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

please stop telling people to watch shows where the only complete subs are by tvn, i will call the police

magiranger has real subs at least!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So does Shinkenger because ShinkenAnon is the hero sentai deserves

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

All I want for Christmas is for OT to hurry up on Deka and Yoshihiko S3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Or you could ignore all these bad opinions and watch kakuranger or sun vulcan.

I frigging love Kakuranger more than I ever expected to.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

you should watch tvn's kamen rider blade

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

I'm pretty sure even TVN's Blade translators don't know what their subs are talking about.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Where, uh...where do I find sentai shows

Craptacular! posted:

While Dekaranger wasn't for me personally, I could see it fitting that niche of "too goofy to take seriously" while also being praised as good and having some great moments. People suggesting Goonger, however, I don't know what's wrong with them. Nobody should have to watch that.

I remember liking SPD decently, so I look forward to eventually watching Dekaranger!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

I remember liking SPD decently, so I look forward to eventually watching Dekaranger!
Here's Zyuohger.

Here's Shinkenger.

Here's Go-Buster.

And here's their ongoing Timeranger sub.

Over-Time is a really good sub group.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well Zyuranger, Dairanger, Kakuranger, and Ohranger all have official DVD releases in the US(with Carranger coming soon) so that's one of the reasons I suggest going for them, fairly easy to obtain

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The unspoken rule of fansubs is "pull them down if/when we make an official English release, and we'll pretend we don't know you exist". So you'll probably never find, say, Zyuranger fansubs, but all the O-T stuff is 100% cool.

Of course, sometimes sketchy commercial subbing companies basically just steal and repackage the most popular fansub, and at that point, all bets are off.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TerminusEst13 posted:

You should punch yourself in the dick

Besides someone redid that already

• Locked thread