Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Oh hey, Gravity Rush 2 comes out way sooner than I thought. Well, I'm sold on it from the demo. Anyone know if I need to play the first one for the story or not?

You should play the first one because it's a great game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looks like I'm grabbing Gravity Rush Remastered when I get home, then!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hello Chat Thread. I just bought Super Mario Run and it's basically a Game of the Year contender for me, even against something like Overwatch. It's literally the game I have asked for for years and years: A game that's only DKC mine cart levels. Except it's Mario instead of DKC. They're my favorite type of platforming level in the world, so an entire game of just that is EXTREMELY my poo poo. And it's not loving procedurally generated bullshit like every other "runner" game. It has actual designed levels. There's a level in the clouds with a bunch of bullet bills that was just :pachameme:. I hope they keep adding in levels because this game is what I've always wanted. Sure it's not widescreen on my HD tv but that's a minor complaint really.

Also if I turn off the music, leave on the sound, and then have an extended version of one of the rocket barrel level themes from Tropical Freeze going while I play, it's a perfect game. 10/10 not even joking. Thank you Santa. Well 9.5/10 cause if it was DKC mine cart themed it'd be 10/10 but anyway

Now please give me a Super Mario Rocket or some poo poo so I can get a game of only rocket barrel levels

:toot:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sakurazuka posted:

Is Oceanhorn worth playing outside of looking a bit like Wind Waker?
What I have seen played looked fun, though not mind blowing by any stretch. I grabbed it on sale but haven't opened it yet.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Am I missing something with Salt and Sanctuary or is it not very good

I've killed I think 6 bosses now and I don't really like anything about it. It just makes me want to replay Bloodborne or something instead (I guess I could finally buy the DLC now that it's on sale)

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 24, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't really click with Salt and Sanctuary. I wanted to like it a lot more than I ended up liking it, but I just got bored with it.

Also the Bloodborne DLC is extremely good so definitely grab it on sale if you like Bloodborne already.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm surprised at how few Zelda-likes get made. It seems like the thing every indie wants to do is make their Metroidvania, but there aren't nearly as many Zelda clones as I'd expect.

Well there's CrossCode which isn't at full release yet but gets updated fairly regularly, and for a 3d Zelda you've got Darksiders 1 and 2 which were recently remastered WARMASTERED.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 24, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Help Im Alive posted:

I've killed I think 6 bosses now and I don't really like anything about it. It just makes me want to play Bloodborne or something instead (I guess I could finally buy the DLC now that it's on sale)

it's bad

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

chumbler posted:

Well there's Cross Code which isn't at full release yet but gets updated fairly regularly, and for a 3d Zelda you've got Darksiders 1 and 2 which were recently remastered WARMASTERED.

Oh yeah, I got Darksiders as a PS+ game on PS3 a while back and it was fun. That was Zelda meets God of War, basically, a fun combination.

They "WARMASTERED" Darksiders 2 as well? I've only seen videos/reviews of the first one's remastered version.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They didn't WARMASTER it, they released the DEATHINITIVE EDITION

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Having now played Red Dead Revolver for the first time in 8(?) years it sure is, uh, a PS2 game.

Good soundtrack though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

haveblue posted:

They didn't WARMASTER it, they released the DEATHINITIVE EDITION

Should've been the DEATHINITIVE DEADITION if we're being honest.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zaggitz posted:

Who else is working on this fine Christmas Eve morning? And then again Christmas night?

:negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ogxQsMxO8

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

by the way i think next month should be January Games Chat Thread: > New Save | o Continue | o Quit

I already knoww hat the thread title for next month should be.

It popped into my head back in like october. I've gotta do it...!!!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Having now played Red Dead Revolver for the first time in 8(?) years it sure is, uh, a PS2 game.

Good soundtrack though.

The soundtrack is cool because it's all deep cuts of spaghetti western composers that aren't Ennio Morricone so it sounds authentic without being recognizable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mYcJS-2RLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq2kwmcoenE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s_WIPG7h6o

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Macaluso posted:

Hello Chat Thread. I just bought Super Mario Run and it's basically a Game of the Year contender for me, even against something like Overwatch. It's literally the game I have asked for for years and years: A game that's only DKC mine cart levels. Except it's Mario instead of DKC. They're my favorite type of platforming level in the world, so an entire game of just that is EXTREMELY my poo poo. And it's not loving procedurally generated bullshit like every other "runner" game. It has actual designed levels. There's a level in the clouds with a bunch of bullet bills that was just :pachameme:. I hope they keep adding in levels because this game is what I've always wanted. Sure it's not widescreen on my HD tv but that's a minor complaint really.

Also if I turn off the music, leave on the sound, and then have an extended version of one of the rocket barrel level themes from Tropical Freeze going while I play, it's a perfect game. 10/10 not even joking. Thank you Santa. Well 9.5/10 cause if it was DKC mine cart themed it'd be 10/10 but anyway

Now please give me a Super Mario Rocket or some poo poo so I can get a game of only rocket barrel levels

:toot:

It's extremely good but it makes me really sad to see the huge backlash against it because they dared to charge loving $10 for it, as if that's unreasonable because the app store is full of garbage that only costs $1

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm surprised the reaction you got from other goons was so negative. I thought it was real good. Not quite up to Souls standards but still a really solid Souls type game that felt way more Metroidvania because of both it being in 2D and getting mobility upgrades. The lack of map hurts it more than the Souls games but other than that it's pretty much what you'd expect from a Souls ripoff made by the guy who made the Dishwasher games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm surprised the reaction you got from other goons was so negative. I thought it was real good. Not quite up to Souls standards but still a really solid Souls type game that felt way more Metroidvania because of both it being in 2D and getting mobility upgrades. The lack of map hurts it more than the Souls games but other than that it's pretty much what you'd expect from a Souls ripoff made by the guy who made the Dishwasher games.

I don't think it's bad, it just didn't really click for me. I can definitely see the appeal in it, and I really would love another 2D game that takes some cues from Souls, but I dunno, I think I got fed up dying trying to jump to platforms that were off-screen or that I could barely see.

I did like fighting with a greatsword in it, though, and also the polearm moves were really cool.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Adam Bowen posted:

It's extremely good but it makes me really sad to see the huge backlash against it because they dared to charge loving $10 for it, as if that's unreasonable because the app store is full of garbage that only costs $1

Yeah, I'm extremely confused by it. When I first heard that the game was going to be $10 I thought "that's pretty reasonable!". Now all I see is people bitching that it's either A) not free or B) "If it was $5 I would get it"

????????

This game has a pretty good amount of content first off, so I don't see why $10 is too much but five less is acceptable. And thank loving god the game isn't free cause that just leads to the problems that most other games have. I thought Best Fiends was great, but if I could just buy the game outright instead of waiting to play again or paying money to play again I'd have kept playing it. Super Mario Run is how mobil games should be done

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

Looks like I'm grabbing Gravity Rush Remastered when I get home, then!

I got the original for my Vita when I was desperate to justify its existence but never really got around to playing it, and I wonder whether I should just get the remaster on the PS4. Same with Tearaway

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, I'm extremely confused by it. When I first heard that the game was going to be $10 I thought "that's pretty reasonable!". Now all I see is people bitching that it's either A) not free or B) "If it was $5 I would get it"

????????

This game has a pretty good amount of content first off, so I don't see why $10 is too much but five less is acceptable. And thank loving god the game isn't free cause that just leads to the problems that most other games have. I thought Best Fiends was great, but if I could just buy the game outright instead of waiting to play again or paying money to play again I'd have kept playing it. Super Mario Run is how mobil games should be done

There's nothing in the description on iTunes that says that you have to pay $10 to unlock everything past the intro aside from a single * off towards the bottom that you have to go out of your way to expand to read, I think getting upset that a game lists itself as free and then once you've gone to the trouble of downloading and installing it goes "PSYCHE! Pay up, sucker." is perfectly reasonable.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

There's nothing in the description on iTunes that says that you have to pay $10 to unlock everything past the intro aside from a single * off towards the bottom that you have to go out of your way to expand to read, I think getting upset that a game lists itself as free and then once you've gone to the trouble of downloading and installing it goes "PSYCHE! Pay up, sucker." is perfectly reasonable.

The bitching I see isn't from people who did zero research of the game and blindly bought the game. It's simply that the game costs money at all.

But even still, the fact that the first 3 levels are free and then you can buy the rest of you like the game is AWESOME. So not only does the game just let me buy it outright, it has a demo of it so I could even see if I would want to buy it.

I just don't see it as "PSYCHE! Pay up, sucker" I see it as "here's a demo of the game, buy it if you like it!". If you feel ripped off cause you didn't research it at all and assumed you were getting a free Mario game well :shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Super+Mario+Run/feature.asp?c=72473

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i don't know where you've been but people don't like paying for phone games

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess to be fair most of them aren't worth paying for

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
All phone games are for clowns at the circus but you get one free credit for "game based on IP I loved when I was a child" that doesn't revoke your gamer card.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Chomp8645 posted:

All phone games are for clowns at the circus but you get one free credit for "game based on IP I loved when I was a child" that doesn't revoke your gamer card.

There are tons of "real" games like 80 Days or Sproggiwood that that are actually better on mobile than on PC/console since they benefit a lot from being able to play them in short bursts on the go with a touch screen. Also games that are cross-platform are usually cheaper on mobile, like the aforementioned Sproggiwood which is $4.49 on Steam right now but only $1.99 on mobile.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_wyqMj15Os

Merry Christmas

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

You getting time and a half? I'm time and a half today and double time tomorrow.

lol no

Instead we're allowed to work more hours a week than normal

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

????????

Steam and the phone marketplace have totally destroyed people's perception of how much software should cost

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looper posted:

lol no

Instead we're allowed to work more hours a week than normal

I'm salaried, so no overtime and no maximum number of hours per week and federal and even company holidays are just days ending in y.

Wait I guess the technical term is "exempt".

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 24, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Whaaaaaaaaat's up everybody

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Family fun time!!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Yup, Christmas party with the family. Shame I just got Jackbox 3 from the gift train but I have no way of setting it up at the house we're going to.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I hope your family fun time goes well :)

I gave my gifts to my fiancee, she was all "aww I didn't get you anything though" and I was all "I don't care" cause I don't like receiving gifts. Or rather, I like gifts, they're nice, they're fun, but I feel bad when people give me things cause I feel like I'm conning them or something. Besides, the only stuff I would've wanted was either some semi-expensive steam games or some expensive board games and I'm glad she didn't drop the 25 for steam games or 60 on board games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just finished preparing my portion of the christmas dinner for tomorrow. :9

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm gonna head on out to BJ's at 6:30 to celebrate my bro's birthday (which was two days ago), then tomorrow my family and my other relatives are all going out to my grandma's place for Christmas dinner. I was too lazy to make chocolate chip cookies to bring, so I settled on getting two packs of Tollhouse sugar cookies (which are just as good imo)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Probably will be heading out to my cousin's house around 5pm ish (PST) to celebrate dinner and xmas give my nephew his secret santa gift. This is the 2nd time he got me as his Secret Santa but I don't mind. He was pretty happy last year with the Skylander Toy I gave him. This time I got him Lego Star Wars Force Awakens for the 360 (yes he has one, only like two games though) and Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS. A bit bummed on the second one because his mom was gonna get him a new3ds and pokemon sun/moon but they all sold out. :smith: Least they told me he doesn't mind waiting til end of new years for one though. :unsmith:

Also drinking nog til I pass out from the sugar. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My dad asked for only one thing for Christmas this year.

Doom.

He has good taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I have Final Fantasy XV, Watch Dogs 2, Gears of War 4 and Dead Rising 4 to play yet I keep going back to Doom and Dishonored 2 instead.

• Locked thread