Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Healers are fine, but they also have the best ults in the game. Maybe that's where the issue lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tenebrais posted:

Ult charge should reward good play, and good play for a healer is doing healing.

I wonder if the poor design decision is actually having healers.

chumbler posted:

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

Ult charge rewarding good play is secondary to not creating perverse incentives.

However, the answer isn't necessarily "don't have healers" -- it's "don't design characters whose primary function is healing."

Look at how "healers" are designed in, for instance, 4th Edition D&D or Bloodline Champions -- they're basically dps/utility characters with heals attached as riders to their attacks. They might have one or two abilities that are for pure healing but they're not expected to use them all the time or even most of the time.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ult charge rewarding good play is secondary to not creating perverse incentives.

However, the answer isn't necessarily "don't have healers" -- it's "don't design characters whose primary function is healing."

Look at how "healers" are designed in, for instance, 4th Edition D&D or Bloodline Champions -- they're basically dps/utility characters with heals attached as riders to their attacks. They might have one or two abilities that are for pure healing but they're not expected to use them all the time or even most of the time.

It's funny because Blizzard had this mentality when Diablo 3 was being made for the most part. They knew that being a healbot wasn't exactly the role most people would want, and then they proceeded to just throw healbotting right the hell back into HOTS and Overwatch.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

4E D&D was bland as gently caress, though. It was a MMO design document somebody accidentally submitted in lieu of a tabletop RPG.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cabbit posted:

4E D&D was bland as gently caress, though. It was a MMO design document somebody accidentally submitted in lieu of a tabletop RPG.

This opinion was dumb grognard bullshit even when the core books were all 4E had, and it was even less true by the end of the game's publishing cycle.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This opinion was dumb grognard bullshit even when the core books were all 4E had, and it was even less true by the end of the game's publishing cycle.

More or less dumb than forcing 'grognard' as actual thing in lieu of just saying 'whining'?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cabbit posted:

More or less dumb than forcing 'grognard' as actual thing in lieu of just saying 'whining'?

haha wait you're upset by the word grognard

it really is a christmas miracle

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
grognard is an actual word that means things and he's right to use it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Anyways, D&D and MMO design principles have been in an incestuous relationship since the first MUD crawled out of the primordial ooze of the internet. You might as well ape the one that plays like a good MMO.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Tiler Kiwi posted:

grognard is an actual word that means things and he's right to use it

I'm aware, but literally the first and only time I've ever seen it on an english speaking message board is deployed against people who had the gall to not like 4E. It's always come off as pretentious.

Edit: This is ludicrously off topic, nevermind.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 24, 2016

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

ToastyPotato posted:

It's funny because Blizzard had this mentality when Diablo 3 was being made for the most part. They knew that being a healbot wasn't exactly the role most people would want, and then they proceeded to just throw healbotting right the hell back into HOTS and Overwatch.

I agree, Healers should follow the Zenyatta school of design.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
4e is literally the only good version of d&d

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Boogle posted:

I agree, Healers should follow the Zenyatta school of design.

I now wish Ice Wall was given to a healer. There are plenty of fun and interesting abilities that Blizz could have given to a healer. Stuff like Sonic Arrow and Junkrat trap.

I guess what I'm saying is to remix the Defense heroes and the healers together.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pomp posted:

4e is literally the only good version of d&d

There are no universally good versions of D&D, just ones that are less bad for various different purposes. Sometimes even 3.5 is the best tool for what you want to do. But when you're trying to crib design principles for a team-based game where every role is supposed to be distinct, limited, and useful there's an obvious match.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Duck and Cover posted:

What's that making huge meaty hitpoint shields causes people to just stack them?

No it causes people to shoot them until they die.

The problem stems from when they make people die faster, and when they can't be killed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think having healing-focused characters is a bad thing (admittedly I say this as a support) but they suffer more from having infinite no-cost healing. There's little to no downtime to any healing which makes it harder to balance.

Health as a resource that needs to be charged in some fashion would offer a lot more flexibility in design, but it would then run more seriously into the problem of healing being powerful but not popular. A lot of healer characters in any multiplayer game are pretty overpowered strictly to incentivize people to play them. (Hell, Overwatch basically gives you a free gold medal for deciding to pick Mercy/Lucio/Zenyatta/Ana.) Since they want them to be powerful to justify that they end up with hard-as-poo poo to balance characters. Look at how little it takes to push Zenyatta or Lucio or Mercy or Ana from weak to a must-play.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ana heals too much and lucio's speed boost is too much of an absolute necessity. fix those problems and the support situation in overwatch would be perfect

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's worth noting that almost every time a support has wound up OP or over-picked it's because of something other than their ability to restore HP though. With Mercy it was having a rez every fight, Lucio is a must-have because of his speed boost, and when Zenyatta was deforming the balance of the game it was because of 50% damage buff discord. While perverse incentives exist because of the way healing and ult charge interact but Ana is really the first time a support has had this much impact on the game purely as a result of their healing capabilities being too good.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Gimnbo posted:

I now wish Ice Wall was given to a healer. There are plenty of fun and interesting abilities that Blizz could have given to a healer. Stuff like Sonic Arrow and Junkrat trap.

I guess what I'm saying is to remix the Defense heroes and the healers together.

plz make junkrat grenades also heal teammates blizz

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Woke up to a tiny Xmas miracle. Ho ho ho.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what if junkrat had the loose cannon instead of the pipe launcher

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

ana heals too much and lucio's speed boost is too much of an absolute necessity. fix those problems and the support situation in overwatch would be perfect

the support situation will never be perfect as long as supports are loving healbots instead of interesting characters that bring interesting utility to the team

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pomp posted:

the support situation will never be perfect as long as supports are loving healbots instead of interesting characters that bring interesting utility to the team

this is why ana and zenyatta are the best healers, also, though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

literally the only support that is kind of like that is mercy

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

literally the only support that is kind of like that is mercy

Cowcaster posted:

this is why ana and zenyatta are the best healers, also, though

three of them bring healing as their primary utility, with four ults that are just press q to keep to win the fight

in a just world all of the tanks would be labeled as a support and the current supports would have much weaker/no heals

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ana's got a grenade that prevents healing and a sleep dart

zenyatta's got a damage debuff and the ability to heal while actually putting out reasonable damage

i guess technically yes they're primarily picked for their healing but that's literally the prescribed function of supports (sans symmetra) in this game

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Oh cool, 5 free boxes for X-mas. Let's see what i

:catstare:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zen and lucio are not primarily healers and ana has such a versatile kit that classifying her like that is just flat out wrong. then you have symmetra, who is... well, symmetra

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

let's not go crazy here, yeah his speed boost is great and all but literally the only reason lucio is picked is so he can dick around being bored while healing the entire team simultaneously

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Symmetra actually earns her Support place now. Shield generator is basically a Bastion-Lucio.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

zen and lucio are not primarily healers and ana has such a versatile kit that classifying her like that is just flat out wrong. then you have symmetra, who is... well, symmetra

This conversation kicked off with a discussion of how people wouldn't use the healers (or wouldn't play them right) if healing weren't rewarded with ult charge. Lucio's picked for speed boost (which doesn't grant ult charge, of course) but it would probably be good for him to have some way of building his ult other than his fart gun.

Cowcaster posted:

let's not go crazy here, yeah his speed boost is great and all but literally the only reason lucio is picked is so he can dick around being bored while healing the entire team simultaneously

I can't tell if you're joking or not but nah, it's the exact opposite / what Manatee said. Speed boost is Lucio's reason for existing, at least if we're talking about balance rather than "how do we convince gold-rank players to pick him?"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

no it is seriously the speed boost. that's the only reason he's been the top pick in pro play since beta, and unless they remove it or give something similar to another character it's gonna stay that way

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i guess i'm wrong then but that doesn't change my opinion that lucio is straight up the most boring motherfucker in the game to play

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There are people who are attracted to a character like Mercy whose primary function is healing, and not just heal sluts. I think it's fine that it exists for people who like it, she's not the one causing the meta.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

i guess i'm wrong then but that doesn't change my opinion that lucio is straight up the most boring motherfucker in the game to play

well, maybe mercy or torb

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
bastion has an emote that's a tooted song and it's so long you can repeat it forever

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Remove all healing, give supports other abilities to compensate, remove mercy, rework reinhardt and remove his shield, or just heavily nerf his shield, and overwatch will be a much better game to both watch and play.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Zenyatta's healing is, at most, okay. He's picked largely because of a combination of discord, his own considerable damage, and his ult. Unless you're making a clever joke about him being an omnic he's the opposite of a healbot. Ana's healing is strong enough to warp the balance all over but even if you tune that down she has a gun that does 80 damage per hit and can hitscan quickscope plus her grenade plus sleep dart plus nanoboost. And then you have Lucio who would be picked even if his healing was literally removed entirely. The only "healbot" healer in the game is Mercy, specifically designed to appeal to people who want to hold a medigun on people and I guess weird foot fetishists too, but of all the complaints one could level at supports and healing in Overwatch "supports are all just boring healbots" isn't really one.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is there no healing in dota is that why everyone's out for removing it from the game to make it more engaging all of a sudden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i bully the poo poo out of people (mainly Reinhardts and DVas) with Lucio with the doot on the cart and on points with chasms, you don't have to pay him passively. you should also be using the speed boost to keep everybody close to the front lines whenever no one needs heals