Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, it's the same thing really, at its core. Centrist politicians ignore every negative of their policies, from general economic problems to social problems caused by having immigration without a plan for integration (on top of bad economic policies), which creates an economic and cultural impetus for reform among the citizenry. The far right, helped by the center right, then seizes this to push their own policies.

I mean, the economic part is more important, but the combination of the two is probably far more potent than either on their own.

That's a fair assessment, but still - the policies that are going to bring about the results that they at least say they want, aren't going to work quickly enough for their tastes. There's nothing sexy or instantly gratifying about the government investing in anti-housing or job discrimination programs for Muslims, and a lot of flat-out racists will raise a stink over it. There aren't any easy or instantly gratifying solutions to things like Islamist terrorism, and saying that pursuing actually effective policies will lead to fascists getting elected, as some have done here, just isn't a very convincing reason not to push for those policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Leftists in Europe have been caught in a tight spot with the illegal immigrant/refugee situation as well. I mean leftist posters here have the tendency to push for open borders from an ideological standpoint knowing that theres no real chance of economic policies being implemented to mitigate immigration/integration issues.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

shrike82 posted:

Leftists in Europe have been caught in a tight spot with the illegal immigrant/refugee situation as well. I mean leftist posters here have the tendency to push for open borders from an ideological standpoint knowing that theres no real chance of economic policies being implemented to mitigate immigration/integration issues.

They're happy to oppose skilled people coming in to work though, because that would undercut local wages. Not complete hypocrites.

Majorian posted:

Errrr, is it? I think it's more about neoliberalism and free trade leaving a lot of non-rich people behind, then far rightists scapegoating non-whites for all their problems.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, it's the same thing really, at its core. Centrist politicians ignore every negative of their policies, from general economic problems to social problems caused by having immigration without a plan for integration (on top of bad economic policies), which creates an economic and cultural impetus for reform among the citizenry. The far right, helped by the center right, then seizes this to push their own policies.

I mean, the economic part is more important, but the combination of the two is probably far more potent than either on their own.

The center right has given up on refugees but still stands quite strong on free trade. The myth (yes, it's a myth in Europe, and the trade aspect to it is overstated in the US as well: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/upshot/the-american-middle-class-is-no-longer-the-worlds-richest.html) that incomes for the poorest have stagnated because of globalization has driven voters to the far right though, I agree with that..

I also think that you're confusing the center right stance on undocumented migrants (in particular, this refugee crisis) and their general stance of immigration (i.e. people coming in to work on visas), which hasn't changed as far as I've seen.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

shrike82 posted:

Posters like who. Nobody here has argued for open borders.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Friendly Humour posted:

Posters like who. Nobody here has argued for open borders.

I have, and I will continue to.

The real reason there's an immigration wave anyway isn't open borders, it's the fact that there's a civil war in Syria and Iraq.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

YF-23 posted:

The real reason there's an immigration wave anyway isn't open borders, it's the fact that there's a civil war in Syria and Iraq.

No it's open borders into Northern European social states otherwise they would have stayed in Middle Eastern countries not touched by civil war (or Turkey).

But if Greeks want open borders, I'm fine with that, as long as you take care of the refugees and not just hand them through.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It's not that simple. There are many people moving to Europe from Africa, etc. because they want a better life with more opportunities, and they are not refugees. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but open borders will never happen and no political party that I know of is in favor of them.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

doverhog posted:

It's not that simple. There are many people moving to Europe from Africa, etc. because they want a better life with more opportunities, and they are not refugees. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but open borders will never happen and no political party that I know of is in favor of them.

It is because it's literally illegal for them to travel into European countries, as they have no valid visa and/or work permit.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
A political party could run on making it legal. :) But they don't.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

No it's open borders into Northern European social states otherwise they would have stayed in Middle Eastern countries not touched by civil war (or Turkey).

But if Greeks want open borders, I'm fine with that, as long as you take care of the refugees and not just hand them through.

You're wrong on all counts, but hey, that hasn't stopped you before.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

YF-23 posted:

What about the approx 50% of migrants to Europe last year who weren't from Syria or Iraq?

The far left position of completely open borders will only serve to damage migrants who are actually deserving in the long-run. Proper vetting of migrants, and acceptance of genuine war zone cases, would be a political stance that would probably resonate with a decent percentage of the population. But the "completely open borders, accept everyone" stance just serves to empower the hard-right, who will completely close the borders when they get a chance.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Blut posted:

What about the approx 50% of migrants to Europe last year who weren't from Syria or Iraq?

The far left position of completely open borders will only serve to damage migrants who are actually deserving in the long-run. Proper vetting of migrants, and acceptance of genuine war zone cases, would be a political stance that would probably resonate with a decent percentage of the population. But the "completely open borders, accept everyone" stance just serves to empower the hard-right, who will completely close the borders when they get a chance.

is there anyone on the far left that supports open borders? im really asking here. any examples? because, for example zizek as being saying this:

http://qz.com/767751/marxist-philosopher-slavoj-zizek-on-europes-refugee-crisis-the-left-is-wrong-to-pity-and-romanticize-migrants/

and sure zizek is kinda of a loon troll but my experience is that a lot of people on the far left position is "legit refugees from war zones yes"

unless you're counting merkel as far left, which, ya know...
Alo merry christmas, worst thread. im hangover from eggnogg and port please bear with me here. also , get drunk on eggnogg and port its great

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Blut posted:

A good amount of them are also refugees, coming from other conflict-ridden parts of the world. I'm also willing to bet that a lot of immigrants from "safe" countries are riding the wave so-to-speak. However, ultimately, people don't leave their homes for shits and giggles, they leave their homes because their lives there are poo poo compared to elsewhere. People will always seek greener pastures, come hell or high water, and no amount of border protection can really stop that. The only reliable way to stem immigration is for people to not feel like their home is something they need to escape from. The single biggest thing that could happen to allow for such a thing is for western countries to stop military interventions (other countries as well, but historically it is the United States and the Victorian colonisers that bear most of the blame for this). It's hilarious easy, with present hindsight, to see how things like the division of the Middle East after WW1 and such have been instrumental in today's mess coming to be.

In short, the only effective border control is to not need border control in the first place.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

YF-23 posted:

A good amount of them are also refugees, coming from other conflict-ridden parts of the world. I'm also willing to bet that a lot of immigrants from "safe" countries are riding the wave so-to-speak. However, ultimately, people don't leave their homes for shits and giggles, they leave their homes because their lives there are poo poo compared to elsewhere. People will always seek greener pastures, come hell or high water, and no amount of border protection can really stop that. The only reliable way to stem immigration is for people to not feel like their home is something they need to escape from. The single biggest thing that could happen to allow for such a thing is for western countries to stop military interventions (other countries as well, but historically it is the United States and the Victorian colonisers that bear most of the blame for this). It's hilarious easy, with present hindsight, to see how things like the division of the Middle East after WW1 and such have been instrumental in today's mess coming to be.

In short, the only effective border control is to not need border control in the first place.

Something like 90% of the world would be better off living as poor people in Greece (let alone Germany or Norway) than they are right now, so unfortunately the "not leaving their home for shits and giggles" argument doesn't really work. I mean that of course it's true that these people are not well off and that's why they're leaving, but it's not really sustainable to open borders for them while maintain current levels of welfare spending if you care at all about the existing populace. Which presumably you do, because you've said many times that living standards in Greece for the poor are too low as it stands.

Blaming the west (rightly or wrongly) isn't going to fix anything. It won't bring peace to Syria, it won't bring peace to Somalia or the Congo. Instead, focus on expanding/continuing the policies that helped bring a billion people (mainly in Asia) out of poverty, such as expanding free trade and trying to bring stable, non-extractive institutions and governments into these regions.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
As it fits right into the discussion, the most important chart of 2016

The populist wave in the West is basically the 80-90 percentile being angry that they lost.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

The populist wave in the West is basically the 80-90 percentile being angry that they lost.

And it should be mentioned that that percentile are the working class in the 'developed' nations. So Western Europe, Commonwealth, USA. Working people were the most hosed over worldwide in terms of real change in income.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

And it should be mentioned that that percentile are the working class in the 'developed' nations. So Western Europe, Commonwealth, USA. Working people were the most hosed over worldwide in terms of real change in income.

Entire regions of the states of Ohio & Michigan & Indiana were shipped off to China, the companies could be threatened to come back, but those jobs will not.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

most of the growth in the lower half of that graph comes from China by the way

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Something like 90% of the world would be better off living as poor people in Greece (let alone Germany or Norway) than they are right now, so unfortunately the "not leaving their home for shits and giggles" argument doesn't really work. I mean that of course it's true that these people are not well off and that's why they're leaving, but it's not really sustainable to open borders for them while maintain current levels of welfare spending if you care at all about the existing populace. Which presumably you do, because you've said many times that living standards in Greece for the poor are too low as it stands.

Blaming the west (rightly or wrongly) isn't going to fix anything. It won't bring peace to Syria, it won't bring peace to Somalia or the Congo. Instead, focus on expanding/continuing the policies that helped bring a billion people (mainly in Asia) out of poverty, such as expanding free trade and trying to bring stable, non-extractive institutions and governments into these regions.

Assigning blame is important you doofus. You need to recognise what caused things to go bad in order to avoid it in future. You can't pretend it's ok to continue intervening in foreign conflicts, that it won't cause instability that will result in a blowback to the rest of the world.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
People will always migrate from lovely places to not-so-lovely places. When the lovely places get too lovely, a lot more people migrate. The history of mankind is one of mass migrations, invasions, counter-invasions, and so on. It's kind of what we do. I migrated to Europe myself, I'm lucky I had European citizenship and an extremely valuable skillset, but seriously it was like a 1000% increase in quality of life, income, you name it, it improved drastically. And I had what I considered to be a pretty sweet life back in South America.
You can't blame people for wanting to get to Europe, it's too drat good an opportunity to pass up. Like, you can't even begin to imagine how good it is. I know I'm slowly getting used to it and taking it for granted.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
code:
* c s p a m * c s p a m * c s p a m * c s p a m *
c                                               c  
s /     \             \            /    \       s
p|       |             \          |      |      p
a|       `.             |         |       :     a
m`        |             |        \|       |     m
* \       | /       /  \\\   --__ \\       :    *
c  \      \/   _--~~          ~--__| \     |    c  
s   \      \_-~                    ~-_\    |    s
p    \_     \        _.--------.______\|   |    p
a      \     \______// _ ___ _ (_(__>  \   |    a
m       \   .  C ___)  ______ (_(____>  |  /    m
*       /\ |   U _|__)/      \ (_____>  |_/     *
c      / /\|   C_____) TRUMP!|  (___>   /  \    c
s     |   (   _K_____)\______/  // _/ /     \   s
p     |    \  |__   \\_________// (__/       |  p
a    | \    \____)   `----   --'             |  a
m    |  \_          ___\       /_          _/ | m
*   |              /    |     |  \            | *
c   |             |    /       \  \           | c
s   |          / /    |ed  balls|  \           |s
p   |         / /      \__/\___/    |          |p
a  |           /        |    |       |         |a
m  |          |         |    |       |         |m
* c s p a m * c s p a m * c s p a m * c s p a m *

merry christmas d&d

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's really simple to end 99% of migration to your country: simply make it so crappy for everyone that the living envy the dead and everyone gets too busy fleeing. 🐱

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What a coincidence! This is exactly the end result of ordoliberal austerity!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

fishmech posted:

It's really simple to end 99% of migration to your country: simply make it so crappy for everyone that the living envy the dead and everyone gets too busy fleeing. 🐱

Ah, so that's why Trump tweeted that the world needs more nuclear weapons.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

fishmech posted:

Going by that standard, Brexit worked extremely well, hell I've started learning German.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

France has started the process

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

Going by that standard, Brexit worked extremely well, hell I've started learning German.

Because you're pro-Europe or because you're part of the far-right resurgence?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Entire regions of the states of Ohio & Michigan & Indiana were shipped off to China, the companies could be threatened to come back, but those jobs will not.

That's nice, what's it got to do with European politics?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Tesseraction posted:

Because you're pro-Europe or because you're part of the far-right resurgence?

No, because due to the devaluation of the pound, and the ongoing migration of companies, Berlin is starting to become a really interesting place to move to. It's also super easy to buy a house there, unlike London.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

That's nice, what's it got to do with European politics?

We affect your every thought and motion.

Also Trump will probably smash the EU.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Nonsense posted:

We affect your every thought and motion.

Also Trump will probably smash the EU.

Nonsense posted:

Nice username/posts combo.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
General migration debate aside, how hard is it to keep an illegal immigrant convicted of a crime detained in a prison cell until he agrees to leave voluntarily? He is already an illegal immigrant and a criminal, a government could pay for a plane ticket and a marshal. Finland at the least is doing forced deportations, I don't understand why the Tunisian dude was just let go.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DarkCrawler posted:

General migration debate aside, how hard is it to keep an illegal immigrant convicted of a crime detained in a prison cell until he agrees to leave voluntarily? He is already an illegal immigrant and a criminal, a government could pay for a plane ticket and a marshal. Finland at the least is doing forced deportations, I don't understand why the Tunisian dude was just let go.
Letting him go is the cheapest option, if you assume he'll just go and be someone else's problem.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

DarkCrawler posted:

How do you prove he's Tunisian if he doesn't cooperate and the Tunisian government doesn't send papers confirming his identity? Do you just ship him anywhere?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
I'm sure for the right price somewhere on the European periphery could be convinced to set up a 'holding area' for those stateless convicted illegal immigrant criminals who refuse to admit where they're from. Let them stay there until they admit where they're actually from, then send then home. The Australian system that does this seems to work rather well.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Blut posted:

I'm sure for the right price somewhere on the European periphery could be convinced to set up a 'holding area' for those stateless convicted illegal immigrant criminals who refuse to admit where they're from. Let them stay there until they admit where they're actually from, then send then home. The Australian system that does this seems to work rather well.
The EU could subsidize the Azores by turning one of the islands into a holding area. A clear win-win solution.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The EU could subsidize the Azores by turning one of the islands into a holding area. A clear win-win solution.

I'd rather use Greenland, I'm sure a deal can be worked out with them. A lot of land that needs to be worked.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Would that be cheaper than putting people on a plane, shoving them out the door onto the airfield and taking off?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

I'd rather use Greenland, I'm sure a deal can be worked out with them. A lot of land that needs to be worked.
You're right, there's a lot of living space in Greenland, and perhaps these people could be set free after having worked it for a while.

blowfish posted:

Would that be cheaper than putting people on a plane, shoving them out the door onto the airfield and taking off?
That just leaves you with a lot of crippled people to take care of, seeing as you didn't fly them somewhere else before pushing them out the door! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Please stop posting your favourite ways to torture immigrants. Jesus christ.