Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the greatest sandals of SA forums

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
someone in the en trans thread posted about a trans person in prison being mistreated or something and then it turned out said person had raped their kid on camera and uploaded it to the internet. in the middle of this though someone was making really long weird posts with "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" in the middle of. did that happen or am i misremembering 2 different events?

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
So who are the most """""famous""""" goons?

I know there's deadmau5, Notch, and I guess the guy who draws Slylock Fox. Are there any I'm forgetting?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Maxmaps is the KSP dev. illectro is Scott Manley

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A couple "famous" comic book writers used to be goons. Warren Ellis and Gail Simone most notably.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Josh Sawyer of Fallout fame is a goon

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rhyno posted:

A couple "famous" comic book writers used to be goons. Warren Ellis and Gail Simone most notably.

Crooked Little Vein is one of the gooniest books I've ever read so the Ellis one makes sense.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jellymouth posted:

I know there's deadmau5, Notch, and I guess the guy who draws Slylock Fox. Are there any I'm forgetting?

Semi-famous.

Ian Jones Quartey, who was the executive producer of Steven Universe posted in TVIV, as did Jesse Moynihan from Adventure Time.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Honeydew and most of the Yogscast are from SA also.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BJPaskoff posted:

Well, YOGS does stand for Ye Olde Goon Squad, after all.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, YOGS does stand for Ye Olde Goon Squad, after all.

STOP POSTING AND FINISH THE GOON XMAS ALBUM (an excellent saga on its own)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797981&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Jellymouth posted:

(Jeb Lund, aka Helldump superstar Boniface. Note the prominently displayed fake book cover of Barnacle Jim.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

^^ ha, that's amazing.

BJPaskoff posted:

I only watched a video the other day saying how they basically screwed over a ton of people with a failed kickstarter. Never heard of them before that. #goonprojects

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jellymouth posted:

Caro lives

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

EL BROMANCE posted:

^^ ha, that's amazing.

I only watched a video the other day saying how they basically screwed over a ton of people with a failed kickstarter. Never heard of them before that. #goonprojects

Eh, they aren't great people or businessmen but I know what video you're talking about and it gets a lot of the facts wrong. They collected a lot of money on KS to fund an outside company to make a videogame based on their IP. The company that they hired not only greatly over estimated the development costs of the game and their own development capabilities but also had a really bad habit of signing big rear end checks for work without getting any kind of deal in writing before hand. The head of the development studio also suffered from a bad case of sadbrains and basically ping ponged between being totally impossible to contact and promising wildly unrealistic content updates on an almost week by week basis. Naturally when this all fell apart the YOGS got blamed for it (despite them not actually having anything to do with the product beyond licensing their IP for it) even though they basically stepped in at the 11th hour and secured keys to a different but similar game for the people who backed the KS. This game later failed as well, but you can't really blame the Yogscast for that because that failure happened significantly after all of this and you cant really expect them to have been able to divine the future of a game that at the time looked very promising and well supported. The problem is that kids on the internet are all mad about transparency and poo poo, because they see YT personalities and such as being "just like them" and poo poo, when the Yogscast is a business that makes a shitload of money and has to conduct itself like one. They didn't say anything much in public about what happened behind closed doors or between them and Winterkewl because that's not what you do in the world of real business when things don't work out. They wanted to be able to work with video game companies in the future and it turns out companies don't like working with people or companies that air a ton of dirty laundry so that rabid internet fanboys can get pissy about it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Improbable Lobster posted:

Josh Sawyer of Fallout fame is a goon

Was he the NV developer who posts, or used to post, in the NV topic? I remember at one point Mr. Bibs was arguing with them about how they designed the game wrong.

Also, given that there's more than a few specifically goon references in NV, I think there's a few goons on that team.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Nuebot posted:

Was he the NV developer who posts, or used to post, in the NV topic? I remember at one point Mr. Bibs was arguing with them about how they designed the game wrong.

Also, given that there's more than a few specifically goon references in NV, I think there's a few goons on that team.

Yup, it's ropekid. Bibs is really one of a kind.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

funmanguy posted:

Yup, it's ropekid. Bibs is really one of a kind.

I'll be honest, I kind of love Mr. Bibs. He's like a pug, only instead of snorting and falling apart it's that hotdog story.

Also, weird question but was the Malatora topic ever goldmined or anything? A friend of mine heard about it and I can not do justice trying to explain robot dragon dong island. I feel just linking that would explain it all very well, but I don't have archives.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
For a Malatora primer, the F Plus has you covered.

Speaking of the F Plus, several of them are goons, though not prolific posters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Axeman Jim posted:

For a Malatora primer, the F Plus has you covered.

Speaking of the F Plus, several of them are goons, though not prolific posters.

And the first comment links to the goldmined topic!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
One other, Kill 6 Billion Demons webcomic author Abaddon/Tom Parkinson-Morgan posts in the K6BD thread in BSS.
If you haven't read this, you should.

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Eh, they aren't great people or businessmen but I know what video you're talking about and it gets a lot of the facts wrong. They collected a lot of money on KS to fund an outside company to make a videogame based on their IP. The company that they hired not only greatly over estimated the development costs of the game and their own development capabilities but also had a really bad habit of signing big rear end checks for work without getting any kind of deal in writing before hand. The head of the development studio also suffered from a bad case of sadbrains and basically ping ponged between being totally impossible to contact and promising wildly unrealistic content updates on an almost week by week basis. Naturally when this all fell apart the YOGS got blamed for it (despite them not actually having anything to do with the product beyond licensing their IP for it) even though they basically stepped in at the 11th hour and secured keys to a different but similar game for the people who backed the KS. This game later failed as well, but you can't really blame the Yogscast for that because that failure happened significantly after all of this and you cant really expect them to have been able to divine the future of a game that at the time looked very promising and well supported. The problem is that kids on the internet are all mad about transparency and poo poo, because they see YT personalities and such as being "just like them" and poo poo, when the Yogscast is a business that makes a shitload of money and has to conduct itself like one. They didn't say anything much in public about what happened behind closed doors or between them and Winterkewl because that's not what you do in the world of real business when things don't work out. They wanted to be able to work with video game companies in the future and it turns out companies don't like working with people or companies that air a ton of dirty laundry so that rabid internet fanboys can get pissy about it.

I think it's fair to blame the people who ran the kickstarter for the kickstarter being a humongous failure

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
When Homestuck was at the height of its popularity the girlfriend of the guy who made it got banned from here for complaining about a poster being given a custom title by an admin calling her a "bitch".

Nuebot posted:

Ropekid was mostly a YCS poster, hence why he spends all his time on the YCS offsite now and why all the SA references in New Vegas etc were related to YCS.

Really it's hard to find anyone who actually stuck around on SA for any measure of time once they started getting successful. See also: Yahtzee, the ausgoon who was in the wiki leaks movie.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Total Biscuit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it's fair to blame the people who ran the kickstarter for the kickstarter being a humongous failure

Exactly. Although I think anyone who puts money down on kickstarter for a video game is a crazy person, regardless.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Total Biscuit.

Why do people care about this chum bucket?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Wasn't Zero Punctuation almost a front page feature? IIRC there were at least preliminary discussions.

EDIT: On the topic of gaming video people, Nick Robinson of Polygon was a YCS poster.

Sit on my Jace has a new favorite as of 02:06 on Dec 25, 2016

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
Drew of toothpaste for dinner/crudbump is enough of a goon to buy ads on here

and vilerat died in Benghazi

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Wasn't Zero Punctuation almost a front page feature? IIRC there were at least preliminary discussions.

Yeah from memory he felt he (rightfully) deserved to be financially compensated and lowtax apparently disagreed.

I'm gonna guess if even some of the incoming funds from signups/upgrades was put towards content, SA would be more than just a forum people from 10 years ago still visit to talk poo poo on.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Toilet Biscuit is a very important games man.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

EDIT: On the topic of gaming video people, Nick Robinson of Polygon was a YCS poster.

Nick still posts in the music subforum

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Speaking of Mister Bibs, what exactly is the deal with the hotdog? I know it's not exactly a 'saga', but I keep seeing people mention him almost dying from a hotdog, and him having to abuse save states to beat Super Mario Galaxy and just really want to know the full story.

The first time I noticed his posting, he was saying XCOM 2 sucked because it didn't canonize the fact that he loaded a save game whenever one of his soldiers got hurt, so that really set the stage.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Soulja boy posted in NMD before he was famous

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

He's a law graduate with an IQ of 155.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Guy Mann posted:

He's a law graduate with an IQ of 155.

Don't forget that in the words of Illidan you are not prepared for his IQ.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

Speaking of Mister Bibs, what exactly is the deal with the hotdog? I know it's not exactly a 'saga', but I keep seeing people mention him almost dying from a hotdog, and him having to abuse save states to beat Super Mario Galaxy and just really want to know the full story.

The first time I noticed his posting, he was saying XCOM 2 sucked because it didn't canonize the fact that he loaded a save game whenever one of his soldiers got hurt, so that really set the stage.

While eating food, some of it went down his food pipe, leading to an immediate physiological clusterfuck because Bibs's body is as backward as his brain. This happened twice, both times hotdog-induced

MisterBibs posted:

I'm in the hospital because while eating my first bite of a hotdog, a bit of it fell down my food pipe. Said food pipe decided to clamp down on that nugget of food, so there's a good chance I'll have to be knocked out and be fished around inside.

Double freude points for this same thing happening maybe four years ago. Same food, same effect, same possible result.

MisterBibs posted:

The last time was a lovely Oscar Meyer that I was quick-eating before a date and cut it too long and didn't chew remotely well because I was pressed for time.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Soulja boy posted in NMD before he was famous

His video about that platformer and the dev getting mad about it is good.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nick still posts in the music subforum

The make your own music subforum or the general music subforum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

drat that guy has been on at least 1 date