Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Reclaimer posted:

Yo I'm here to say

that this is totally wrong friendo.

Looked it up and you're completely correct.

This is my "couldn't stand a second playthrough of the garbage narrative" showing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Seasons greetings Cloaca thread!!!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
The cloaca is the perfect orifice to represent both the celebration of the birth of our savior and the steaming pile that was ME3's ending.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

CottonWolf posted:

It helps that Traynor is definitely the most likeable new character in ME3, and is probably one of the most likeable ones in the series. If she wasn't it would just be dumb, not fun dumb.

Who

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Maybe that was just me then. I only played ME3 once, but she's basically the only non-returning character I remember liking.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CottonWolf posted:

Maybe that was just me then. I only played ME3 once, but she's basically the only non-returning character I remember liking.

Her romance is kind of embarrassing, being transparently written by a straight man for straight men, but there's depth to her and she's generally entertaining amidst the doom and gloom of ME3's story. I'd chalk her up as a win.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I liked James and Kaidan, who was returning, but w/e I like Carth

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
James would have been a good character if he was part of the ME1 squad. I still have no idea what he was doing on the Normandy in 3.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think he was good. Good VA from Freddie Prinze Jr., good character, good cutscenes. It was just difficult to fit him into squad lineups when you had other crewmates with more personal history with Shepard, and more interesting backstories/character concepts.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Are y'all forgetting Javik? He was probably the best addition to ME3.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Cythereal posted:

James would have been a good character if he was part of the ME1 squad. I still have no idea what he was doing on the Normandy in 3.

Probably would've been better if you and Anderson had run into him during the tutorial.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

Yeah. My first reaction was "who the gently caress are you and which writer's pet fanfic character is this?".

Turned out he was a really good character but talk about missing an introduction. Here's your best buddy you hang out with all the time, first introduced in the final chapter of the novel and narratively displacing established characters.

:thumbsup:

Beefstew posted:

Are y'all forgetting Javik? He was probably the best addition to ME3.

I remember his DLC refusing to load while the ME3 servers were down (and they were down frequently) and thus making my save games useless. Yes, I remember Javik.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DancingShade posted:

Yeah. My first reaction was "who the gently caress are you and which writer's pet fanfic character is this?".

Turned out he was a really good character but talk about missing an introduction. Here's your best buddy you hang out with all the time, first introduced in the final chapter of the novel and narratively displacing established characters.

I thought he was an attempt to introduce a new character who's Shepard's protege, a latecomer awed by Shepard's legend who's clearly following in her footsteps.

Aside from a hilariously poor execution of the idea (seriously who gives a flying gently caress about N7 status when the galaxy is on fire), Garrus already is Shepard's protege and Traynor is a much better latecomer who grows into her own with Shepard's guidance, if not as a combat character.

After my first couple of playthroughs I've settled for simply ignoring Vega. He's not a bad character in isolation, but he's an incredibly bad fit for ME3. If he'd been introduced in ME1 or even 2 (I'd have happily accepted combining Jacob's and Vega's characters), I think I'd be warmer towards him.

Man, what a waste Jacob was in 3. I'm one of the rare few who really liked him in ME2, but Bioware apparently heard a lot of people didn't like him and went out of their way to please those people. Jacob would have made a fair amount of sense as an ME3 squadmate even, with Vega perhaps as his replacement if Jacob died in the suicide mission.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Liara: "You were dead for two years, but I never stopped loving you and tracked down your body so that Cerberus could bring you back to life!"

Jacob: "I mean... You were, like, under house-arrest for a few months, so I moved on? Anyway, this is my new waifu."

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I have basically no memory of James, because I just left him on the ship after the first mission because I dismissed him as a generic human gears of war dudebro who was brought in for no other reason than "Jacob isn't in this game, and Kaidan might be dead, and we can't just not have a human male party member".

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

I'm the person in the wheelchair not going as joker lmao

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just did the EDI + Javik combo soon as I could because of course I want the super assassin robot and the ancient alien warrior.

Mind you Javik + James both with laser rifles made a lot of the game fairly trivial. It was almost like giving Garrus & Zaeed those bugged DLC sniper rifles in ME2 that did player character damage instead of squad character damage.
To this day I think they never fixed that bug. Hard to say because I still have an old ME2 install from before Origin.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mymla posted:

I have basically no memory of James, because I just left him on the ship after the first mission because I dismissed him as a generic human gears of war dudebro who was brought in for no other reason than "Jacob isn't in this game, and Kaidan might be dead, and we can't just not have a human male party member".

The moment James won me over was when you send him to hack a terminal.

He... he tries.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Thats a pretty good Samara.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Somebody thought it was an awesome idea to go as Kai Leng.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011

Monolith. posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the woman they face scanned to make Samara. She does a bunch of fan events like this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man, Mass Effect 1 is still fun, but there are so many places where they either use the exact same dialogue for each "option" you are given, and other times where the game forces you to play as an idiot. The Council and Saren scene in particular is really bad, as it doesn't give you a chance to make your case, instead leaving you to yell at Saren and then call the Council assholes, no matter what dialogue choice you pick.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Monolith. posted:

I believe her and the Shepard beside her are the voice actors.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

DancingShade posted:

Looked it up and you're completely correct.

This is my "couldn't stand a second playthrough of the garbage narrative" showing.

To be fair why the hell would you give Chobits the time of day when Traynor fuckin rules so much

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Fat kai leng is p good

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DO IT TO IT posted:

Fat kai leng is p good

He's dedicated. He ate cereal from everyone of those shepard's homes, every day, months in advance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sweet jacket and haircut on that Jack

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Kibayasu posted:

I believe her and the Shepard beside her are the voice actors.

that does look like Meer

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
What does pouncy mean

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm pretty sure James was supposed to be an insert for people that are new to the series - except they quickly forgot to keep using him for that purpose.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You guys keep mentioning these ME3 characters and even though that was the one I played most recently I can barely remember them. James I recall just because he was in the hangar all the time where I had to go for the upgrades.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
merry christmas, ME3 thread

this is a real product all true fans should own

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Psion posted:

merry christmas, ME3 thread

this is a real product all true fans should own

Cereal is terrible for you and full of sugar. Eat something else for breakfast.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
James also exists because it was possible to kill everyone in 2 and you needed a squad mate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They could have at least made him interesting like malon in that case. No, having a garbage anime tie in DVD doesn't count.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

DancingShade posted:

Cereal is terrible for you and full of sugar. Eat something else for breakfast.

gently caress off goon

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

gently caress off goon

Don't let me stop you stuffing your guts with whatever garbage you prefer :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

DancingShade posted:

Don't let me stop you stuffing your guts with whatever garbage you prefer :v:

gently caress off goon