Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

XK posted:

Happy Christmas Eve, all you fucks screaming at a video game.

I'm thankful for the wondrous year I've spent with all of you. You're all part of my trolling, backstabbing, instigating family.

Well, since I know where you live, I will be stopping by later for dinner (Gotta feed me. Family!) and to discuss your opinion of your family.

Merry Chris-mess!

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Samizdata posted:

Well, since I know where you live, I will be stopping by later for dinner (Gotta feed me. Family!) and to discuss your opinion of your family.

I hope we're not all dead. Thanks for calling!

XK fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 25, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The honesty caterpillar makes more sense given the recent news

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So they switched engines? Oh, come on, CIG. Daikatana managed to do that after only a year of development and it took you guys, what, 4 years to get to this point?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The honesty caterpillar makes more sense given the recent news

Don't forget, you can unlock the pirate LTI version by beating pirate swarm. By unlock, I mean you'll get the ability to give CIG money.

I hope Beet Wagon had LTI on his car. :ohdear:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Merry Christrobbertsmas, fellow doxxers and death threat givers. May CIG and all of us enjoy another year of gently caress ups, hand waving and refactoring.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Also a very merry Chris-mess to all you magnificent bastards!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

XK posted:

I hope we're not all dead. Thanks for calling!

I wouldn't be glad of it if you were.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

I bet one of their programmers did it over the weekend while also sipping tea and looking over an old garage door opener.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Samizdata posted:

I wouldn't be glad of it if you were.

:glomp:

This thread of hate is really a thread of love.

Merry Christmas, MoMA, INRI, and ArfJason.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CrazyTolradi posted:

Merry Christrobbertsmas, fellow doxxers and death threat givers. May CIG and all of us enjoy another year of gently caress ups, hand waving and refactoring.

Merry Lumbermas to you and everyone else as well.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Happy xmas posting pals

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

LastCaress posted:

Os bolos de natal são uma merda lol
Fdz, merda são os bolos de Natal ingleses, até dá vontade de rir. :barf:

The ones on the left require a special implement to mold and I imagine would be somewhat bland to a foreigner that doesn't have the childhood nostalgia for them. The one on the right someone else already posted, they are great but are about the sweetest thing you can imagine. They are great as a garnish to other stuff.

The ones in the middle are these awesome pumpkin doughnuts with a dash of orange juice, port wine and cinnamon.

The ingredients are
1) 3kg raw pumpkin =~ 1kg cooked pumpkin
2) 300 g floor
3) 150 g sugar
4) 6 eggs
5) 0,5 dl Port wine
6) juice of 1 orange
7) sugar and cinnamon mix to sprinkle

Couldn't find a video in english but this should give you the gist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93ST2AAz9cA

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 25, 2016

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Merry Chris-mess to all and a happily refunded beer!

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Crazy Achmed posted:

So they switched engines? Oh, come on, CIG. Daikatana managed to do that after only a year of development and it took you guys, what, 4 years to get to this point?

But that is only 1 year in CIG years.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

Fdz, merda são os bolos de Natal ingleses, até dá vontade de rir. :barf:

Heads up. Your cat is on the keyboard.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016
Merry Chrismas all you goons. And to the poor intern assigned to track the thread over the holidays, get out, see friends and have a good Christmas. And in the new year, consider career options.

But not you, I.N.R.I., your parents called and said you were a horrible person.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

Merry Chrismess everyone!

I don't see anything regarding MMO / Persistent Universes in there.

The gamelift page states it's not intended to be used for mmos or anything game that will have a persistent universe.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Happy Xmas goon peoples. :toot:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Crobblers the used car salesman
Took a lot of suckers' cash
And in return he gave them
lovely games that always crash

Sandi the tickle diva
Didn't want to refund dough,
"I need it for vacations;
Backers, they will never know!"

Then one day from Christmas Eve
Crobblers told his staff,
"Port that poo poo to Lumberyard
Must be easy, can't be hard"

If the commandos hate it
They'll be in a quandary;
Crobblers the used car salesman
Soon will file for bankruptcy!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

AlbieQuirky posted:

Sandi the tickle diva

Leave Mae Demming aloooone! :cry:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I worked (from bed, while sick) most of Christmas eve and 3 hours of Christmas.
But sure, Merry Christmas, you lazy pricks!

I'm kidding. About the pricks.

Have a Merry one, loosen those Kickstarter belts and drink some expensive booze in my name, thread!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

Don't forget, you can unlock the pirate LTI version by beating pirate swarm. By unlock, I mean you'll get the ability to give CIG money.

I hope Beet Wagon had LTI on his car. :ohdear:

I called Geico but they said they hadn't implemented the insurance mechanic yet but not to worry they just needed to flip a switch :negative:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's not midnight for me yet but Merry Doxxmas to you guys anyways!

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
If Amazon was clueless enough to buy the Cryengine license for $70,000,000 maybe they actually did decide to invest directly into CIG on some level.

It would be hilarious. Please, Santa.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

I called Geico but they said they hadn't implemented the insurance mechanic yet but not to worry they just needed to flip a switch :negative:

Did you see the gecko?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ComfyPants posted:

Someone change :lol: to read "ELE."

XK posted:

So, Lumberyard automatically gets a source license, that's good to know.

Lumberyard requires usage of Amazon cloud services. There is the exception of using no hosted services, or using your own internally hosted servers. But you can not use any 3rd party provider except for Amazon.

I was posting before about their lack of international servers, and kept talking about crobbler just changing the contract to have Amazon do international servers. I guess I should've been speaking of Google instead of Amazon, as apparently they had been on Google's service. Or, maybe I just saw the future. The same core of my argument still stands, though, and has only become more accurate. Will they be spinning up Amazon servers in international regions now?

Is the jump to Amazon from Google the thing that broke 2.5?

The Lumberyard logo only showed up on 2.6 live, but wasn't on any of the Evocati or PTU releases? That's what I've seen claimed.

Since this news, Derek has been saying that Lumberyard is based on CryEngine 5. Everything I've seen indicates Lumberyard is branched from CryEngine 3.8.1. The importance of this fact is merely pedantic, but it's good to be correct. There's a potential argument that CIG did all their modifications on a 3.x branch (3.7 I think), so the engine change isn't a big deal since it's just a jump to 3.8ish.

The running excuse has been that years of engine modifications are why development has appeared slow. If a 300+ employee company has spent years modifying an engine for their very specific custom needs, then "Star Engine" should be so far off the branch of 3.7 that it's a completely different engine to any other engine. Regardless of whether it's 3.8 branched, or 5.0 branched, or whatever.

If any of CIG's past claims about their extensive engine modifications are to be believed, then this is absolutely a fundamental engine change, regardless of any defense about it being branched from a similar version.

I also believe that only Star Marine is currently running on Lumberyard, and SC proper is still their hacked up engine. SC 3.0 is probably intended to be the full switchover to Lumberyard. We would've noticed some kind of fundamental change in the SC releases if they jumped engine in between 2.0 and now, but all the same bugs and quirks have persisted. Maybe that's why they kept claiming that 3.0 was being worked on in parallel to 2.6.

I really badly want an answer on the Lumberyard 64 bit question.

No. CryTek did this confusing bullshit.

When they licensed to Amazon, it was 3.x; similar to what CIG originally licensed.

Then 4.x and 5.x came along. Amazon has been integrating what they need into LumberYard. That's mostly why it's still in Beta.

CIG modified CE 3.x by over 50% (according to Brian Chambers) to come up with StarEngine.

Them moving to LY gives them a supported engine, and cloud (via AWS) integration which they have been struggling to shoehorn into SE + Google Compute.

It also gives them VR and console access; though neither of those will ever work for SC due to all the design decisions.

It also gives them more bullshit to fool backer whales with, and who are now going to think that because LY has VR amd console support, so will SC and SQ42.

They went from one unsupported modded CE engine, to another supported modded CE engine. And keeping (e.g their fake 64-Bit precision bullshit) their StarEngine crap is what's probably been giving them problems and will continue to do. They simply can't do a 1:1 port to LY. Like at all.

Shitizens are as usual trying to spin it, as if spending 4-5 yrs + $140 million and not producing a game, suddenly switching engines and a new cloud backend is going to make a game. It's not.

And it's not going to solve their networking layer problems either, which is why 2.6 is still poo poo.

And they're never going to get an MMO out of it. They're going to do what ED did, except without the talent or tech, seeas Frontier built their own engine and integrated AWS backend to work with it.

No matter how they spin it; this is bad. And I warned (just weeks ago) about something big coming by year end and which backers need to be prepared for. I just couldn't talk about it because it would put people at risk since only a few people knew about this. I am on vacation with only access to mobile; so I can't find the tweet. But search my feed, it's in there. I am writing a new blog about this when I come back, that's why I am not saying much now because then the blog would be pointless.

And that's not the worst of it. No, that's yet to come. Two Weeks.

From what two sources have said, I have reason to also believe that switching to LY also allows them to dump the entire thing into the public domain when they collapse, seeing as LY is free anyway. And Chris hinted at this in his newsletter; though people didn't seem to catch that notion.

This is the final stage of the E.L.E; though there is still one more major thing coming soon. What just happened is nothing in comparison.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 25, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

nnnotime posted:

Um, that's not the way stock ownership works in this case, Dr. Smart, especially since Amazon doesn't pay a dividend, yet. Maybe you could argue that CIG money could help fund stock buy-backs, but that's an indirect benefit of stock ownership and buybacks don't happen all the time.

No you fool. My stock has value. That value goes up. I make money on that value whether or not I choose to liquidate it.

Nothing to do with dividends.

Are you high?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chin posted:

If Amazon was clueless enough to buy the Cryengine license for $70,000,000 maybe they actually did decide to invest directly into CIG on some level.

It would be hilarious. Please, Santa.

Wait, amazon bought cryengine for 70m, and they still had to close down pretty much all their offices less than a year later? Say what you want about CIG, they really can stretch those backer dollars!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

XK
Jul 9, 2001

D_Smart posted:

No. CryTek did this confusing bullshit.

When they licensed to Amazon, it was 3.x; similar to what CIG originally licensed.

Then 4.x and 5.x came along. Amazon has been integrating what they need into LumberYard. That's mostly why it's still in Beta.

CIG modified CE 3.x by over 50% (according to Brian Chambers) to come up with StarEngine.

Them moving to LY gives them a supported engine, and cloud (via AWS) integration which they have been struggling to shoehorn into SE + Google Compute.

It also gives them VR and console access; though neither of those will ever work for SC due to all the design decisions.

It also gives them more bullshit to fool backer whales with, and who are now going to think that because LY has VR amd console support, so will SC and SQ42.

They went from one unsupported modded CE engine, to another supported modded CE engine. And keeping (e.g their fake 64-Bit precision bullshit) their StarEngine crap is what's probably been giving them problems and will continue to do. They simply can't do a 1:1 port to LY. Like at all.

Shitizens are as usual trying to spin it, as if spending 4-5 yrs + $140 million and not producing a game, suddenly switching engines and a new cloud backend is going to make a game. It's not.

No matter how they spin it; this is bad. And I warned (just weeks ago) about something big coming by year end and which backers need to be prepared for. I just couldn't talk about it because it would put people at risk since only a few people knew about this. I am on vacation with only access to mobile; so I can't find the tweet. But search my feed, it's in there. I am writing a new blog about this when I come back, that's why I am not saying much now because then the blog would be pointless.

And that's not the worst of it. No, that's yet to come. Two Weeks.

From one two sources have said, I have reason to also believe that switching to LY also allows them to dump the entire thing into the public domain when they collapse, seeing as LY is free anyway. And Chris hinted at this in his newsletter; though people didn't seem to catch that notion.

This is the final stage of the E.L.E; though there is still one more major thing coming soon. What just happened is nothing in comparison.

The issue with CryEngine 3.8.1 is a clusterfuck. Even after some back and forth, I'm still not sure what their version numbers mean.

3.8.1 is 5.0, I think? But 5.0 has DirectX 12? It's all kind of confusing.

Regardless of what version anything branched from, all of CIG's claims about years of extensive modifications to CryEngine fall flat when they're now stating that Lumberyard was an easy change. Copy pasting heavily modified engine code is just complete nonsense.

I still have the big question: Does Lumberyard support 64 bit positioning?

In addition, give me greenie, Derek. It's Christmas, after all.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

:five::vince::five:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

No you fool. My stock has value. That value goes up. I make money on that value whether or not I choose to liquidate it.

Are you high?

Don't tell me you don't smoke the ganjas mr smart.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

The issue with CryEngine 3.8.1 is a clusterfuck. Even after some back and forth, I'm still not sure what their version numbers mean.

3.8.1 is 5.0, I think? But 5.0 has DirectX 12? It's all kind of confusing.

Regardless of what version anything branched from, all of CIG's claims about years of extensive modifications to CryEngine fall flat when they're now stating that Lumberyard was an easy change. Copy pasting heavily modified engine code is just complete nonsense.

I still have the big question: Does Lumberyard support 64 bit positioning?

In addition, give me greenie, Derek. It's Christmas, after all.

No, LY does not have 64-Bit precision because the games that the engine is designed for; won't need it. That's why CIG still has to maintain their FrankenEngine even with the LY bits they are going to be using.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

SQ42 Demo

Lumberyard

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I would also like to lodge a protest against picking an engine with the abbreviation “LY” for a space game. There will be no end to the confusion. :colbert:

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
merry xmas you crazy fuckers. i hope this poo poo show fails on like a slug trail.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Are you high?

Star Citizen: No you fool.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: Smug way of dwelling on the misfortune of my incorrect statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004