Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophian
Jun 16, 2007
I'm nothing.
YOSPOS, I have a Christmas wish for you. Years ago when I first started lurking here, it was about this time of year. And some amazing person posted a christmas-themed comic with words set to the poem "The Night Before Christmas" except instead of santa and poo poo, it was famous computer people like Stallman, Steve Jobs, Gabe Newell, etc. I don't remember a whole lot about what happened in the comic but I do remember the last line was "Merry Christmas to all! And to all a YOSPOS Bicth!" I tried to google it but nothing comes up. Is there any kind soul out there that knows about this and could post it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i know what you're talking about but i don't have it either

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Rex-Goliath posted:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

are physicists normally this arrogant about social sciences

considering that the journal is apparently an undergrad creative writing journal i think that there's a sliiiiight chance it's tongue-in-cheek

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/killermike/status/812885562826825728
this one is a reply to a tweet ea made, they deleted it
https://twitter.com/ryan24672/status/812837993241251840

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tutr2DNZqCc&hd=1

and I know the tweet with this in it was posted already but here is the youtube also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moNHfeBJ81I&hd=1

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 25, 2016

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NROat16r7Bo

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

merry christmas assholes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvYOm89IcUU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sophian posted:

Yeah this is how it's supposed to work but there's a little problem called the FISA courts. These are secret courts that can grant surveillance warrants with no oversight or any form of civilian accountability or input. They also have had a nasty habit of doing things like, say, lock up innocent people in Guantanomo for years. Also they've literally been caught spying on US citizens a few times now on flimsy pretexts so I wouldn't count on the NSA to even bother with a warrant every time either.

My friend, you should take another look at the Snowden leaks as well as his interviews. Way back in 2013 he said that the NSA was essentially beta testing an upgraded version of PRISM that did a "full take" of telecommunications over in the UK. In other words, this system was designed to archive and tag both meta data as well as the actual content of the communications. Couple that with the knowledge that the NSA was also building massive new data storage facilities around the same time and you got an agency that has both the motive and the means for full passive surveilance that can be utilized on a whim.

take it up with the original author of the stuff i was quoting. he seemed v authoritative on the subject + he claims to have a law degree :kiddo:

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

Sophian
Jun 16, 2007
I'm nothing.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

take it up with the original author of the stuff i was quoting. he seemed v authoritative on the subject + he claims to have a law degree :kiddo:

Ah, gotcha. Well unfortunately, poo poo is moving so fast these days that a degree don't mean much. If you aren't "in the thick of it" in your respective field then you don't stand a chance of understanding the signs of the times. If you don't believe me, please refer to the the 2016 American presidential election.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
barkley 2 can't get here fast enough

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

He also sells katanas that break pretty quick.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Golden-i posted:

i found a functional 486 system running a windows 95 installation with some custom software on it in the development lab at work a few months ago. absolutely no idea what it's used for, but it was powered on and running.

we have a hand full of 95 machines that interface with controllers that run 200kip load frames. we are slowly moving all of our consoles to win7/10 and none of the 95/2k/xp machines are allowed on the enterprise network.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

HEY NONG MAN posted:

we have a hand full of 95 machines that interface with controllers that run 200kip load frames. we are slowly moving all of our consoles to win7/10 and none of the 95/2k/xp machines are allowed on the enterprise network.

Ok

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bill NYSE posted:

STDs: don't wanna catch 'em all!

n-nurse joy :blush:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ash used prophylactic, its 99% when used properly!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

he sees you when youre offline
he knows when youre jacked in

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Golden-i posted:

this rules, i never knew that

It rules on the surface but I have a big stack of Motorola radios and would rather gut them and stick something analog in to drive the power bits than deal with loving programming cables and code plugs and radio heads

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

IN THE GRIMDARK CYBERFUTURE, THERE ARE ONLY TWO TRIBES: NAUGHTY AND NICE

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
happo crudmas goony goon goon goons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysfQjKKi70

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016

a small part of me died the day I found out the display on the front has nothing to do with the cpu speed. you just jumper a bunch of pins that correspond to the segments on the display

:smith:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sophian posted:

YOSPOS, I have a Christmas wish for you. Years ago when I first started lurking here, it was about this time of year. And some amazing person posted a christmas-themed comic with words set to the poem "The Night Before Christmas" except instead of santa and poo poo, it was famous computer people like Stallman, Steve Jobs, Gabe Newell, etc. I don't remember a whole lot about what happened in the comic but I do remember the last line was "Merry Christmas to all! And to all a YOSPOS Bicth!" I tried to google it but nothing comes up. Is there any kind soul out there that knows about this and could post it?

it was a barbarian bob / peanut gang cartoon if i remember correctly

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

double ohm seven posted:

a small part of me died the day I found out the display on the front has nothing to do with the cpu speed. you just jumper a bunch of pins that correspond to the segments on the display

:smith:

that depends entirely on the setup you've built. many were built so that the display did correlate with the cpu clock (since those systems didn't have dynamically variable clock speeds the way modern cpus do, it was very easy to do)

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

fishmech posted:

that depends entirely on the setup you've built. many were built so that the display did correlate with the cpu clock (since those systems didn't have dynamically variable clock speeds the way modern cpus do, it was very easy to do)

but then you cant display 69....

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Olivil posted:

but then you cant display 69....

lol if u dont clock your 486s at 69

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sophian posted:

Ah, gotcha. Well unfortunately, poo poo is moving so fast these days that a degree don't mean much. If you aren't "in the thick of it" in your respective field then you don't stand a chance of understanding the signs of the times. If you don't believe me, please refer to the the 2016 American presidential election.

yea you still need to Google those quotes and see who said it :angel:
it was obama

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
http://www.homestarrunner.com/goes4gold.html

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/simpsons_tweets/status/813067669440172032

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wasn't Ramadan months ago?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wasn't Ramadan months ago?

It shifts over time thanks to the lunar calendar

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

THIS CHRISTMAS IS DEDICATED TO ALL THE CYBERPUNKS THAT FIGHT AGAINST INJUSTICE EVERY DAY

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

vOv posted:

considering that the journal is apparently an undergrad creative writing journal i think that there's a sliiiiight chance it's tongue-in-cheek
o.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

It shifts over time thanks to the lunar calendar

I know. Wasn't it months ago?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember there was cake at work when Ramadan ended and that was months ago and in 2017 it starts some day in May, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

I know. Wasn't it months ago?

It was.

• Locked thread