Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flatluigi posted:

Call me crazy, but if he really wasn't contributing to his team at all by doing all that in the video wouldn't he never have climbed the ladder as far as he did?
edit: nevermind i thought you were talking about the widow kill

Manatee Cannon posted:

using a frag video as the basis of any discussion on positioning or w/e is kind of pointless since you don't know how the person got there or why. it's just stuff that looks cool to watch. obviously it worked for him tho since he hit grandmaster doing it

also you do silly things chasing highlights when you record for videos
tru

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

using a frag video as the basis of any discussion on positioning or w/e is kind of pointless since you don't know how the person got there or why. it's just stuff that looks cool to watch. obviously it worked for him tho since he hit grandmaster doing it

also you do silly things chasing highlights when you record for videos

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Blinky2099 posted:

i don't doubt he's a fairly good lucio but that doesn't mean his individual decision is good

That quote was talking about the DSPStanky video but you were talking about that widow kill video, right?

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Papercut posted:

That quote was talking about the DSPStanky video but you were talking about that widow kill video, right?
oh yeah im dumb ill see myself out

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mymla posted:

There's no healing in csgo, which is a much better game to compare overwatch to.

CSGO is a real poo poo example as there's absolutely nothing similar between the two other than they're both FPSs.

Now compared to say a Team Fortress game (TF games without concussion grenades aren't TF games :colbert:), it makes some sense. However in something like that the respawns are much quicker, and there are several skill based movement abilities you can use to get back into the fight very quickly to offset the lack of a dedicated healer. Overwatch has neither except for a few specific cases, so you'd have to move the spawns way loving closer to the front line or 80% of the game is going to be spent running back to the fight and sitting on top of a medkit. You'd basically have to redesign the entire game from the ground up to accommodate a healer-less gamestyle

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's a very nice highlight video but my incredulity comes from seeing how the heck the guy deals with mccrees and soldiers and aside from one ludicrously bad mccree that stuns him and then completely misses his fan this doesn't really show how that happens

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wow 6 epics and nutracker zen from my free lootboxes, thanks blizz

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

it's a very nice highlight video but my incredulity comes from seeing how the heck the guy deals with mccrees and soldiers and aside from one ludicrously bad mccree that stuns him and then completely misses his fan this doesn't really show how that happens

I'm guessing that 90% of his gameplay is composed of the standard "stay near as many teammates as possible and spam a chokepoint" style that Lucio is best at, 5% is composed of him attempting to showboat and the enemy McCree actually being able to aim his gun and thus murdering him, and the other 5% is where he showboats and manages to succeed at it. It's the last 5% that actually makes it into the highlight reel.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

The Walrus posted:

I got a couple christmas sprays. :argh:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

i used to be better at being aggressive lucio but quit playing him because he does get boring

at least i realize hes boring because i am bad instead of blaming the character

also at the very least all that "downtime" is time you need to be using to try to figure out when and where to speed, amp speed instead of heal, and ult -- all the while making a ton of callouts. he's the king of controlling and increasing your team's tempo and timing (sort of like a reverse mei)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Vermain posted:

I'm guessing that 90% of his gameplay is composed of the standard "stay near as many teammates as possible and spam a chokepoint" style that Lucio is best at, 5% is composed of him attempting to showboat and the enemy McCree actually being able to aim his gun and thus murdering him, and the other 5% is where he showboats and manages to succeed at it. It's the last 5% that actually makes it into the highlight reel.

Watch his stream, it's not really like this at all. Obviously he's not clowning the poo poo out people at grandmaster, but his wall riding is insane and he looks like an absolute nightmare to land shots on.

http://www.twitch.tv/dspstanky/

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jon Do posted:

i used to be better at being aggressive lucio but quit playing him because he does get boring

at least i realize hes boring because i am bad instead of blaming the character

He's boring because his optimal playstyle is boring and uninteractive, while his fun playstyle (wallhopping and getting into people's faces) is insanely high risk/low reward.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

when i read that you sounded like egon spengler in my head

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Papercut posted:

Watch his stream, it's not really like this at all. Obviously he's not clowning the poo poo out people at grandmaster, but his wall riding is insane and he looks like an absolute nightmare to land shots on.

http://www.twitch.tv/dspstanky/

Is there a particular stream session I should look at? I'm watching one from the 21st and all I'm really seeing is him getting stupidly aggressive, landing a handful of low damage shots on various targets (like Widowmaker or Mercy), and then either barely escaping with 20 HP or getting sent back to respawn.

To clarify: his wall riding is really on point and I don't doubt that he's skilled, but most of the big wallrides I'm seeing him do have little to no impact on the enemy team and generally just put him in a huge bundle of danger. Almost all of his deaths that I've seen so far are from him not keeping his distance from dangerous targets.

Jon Do posted:

when i read that you sounded like egon spengler in my head

When would Egon ever use "insanely"? C'mon!

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 25, 2016

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

That Lucio can actually aim, that's his secret.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That's beautiful.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Duck and Cover posted:

That Lucio can actually aim, that's his secret.

Yeah maybe. While looking at DSPStanky's competitive stats on Overbuff, I noticed his average healing is pretty low in comparison to the sampled Lucio playerbase (roughly ~60,000 Lucio players) https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/DSPStanky-1582?mode=competitive He's in the top 1% of offensive assists though, and his weapon accuracy and critical hit % are decent. I realize statistics don't really indicate much, but I thought that was interesting when comparing his stats to my own as Lucio.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Xmasboxes gave me:

Elf Tracer
Phrozen Pharah
and most importantly:
Pachimari player icon.

Xmas completed.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I don't understand why Widowmaker is even in this game. It's not fun to get one hit killed from across the map.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's not fun to die in general but it's fun to kill people, and the kills where you really clown on the other guy are the most fun

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

IronicDongz posted:

it's not fun to die in general but it's fun to kill people, and the kills where you really clown on the other guy are the most fun

Ah yes, the epic clowning of seeing someone's head peak around a corner and pressing M1.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

I don't understand why Widowmaker is even in this game. It's not fun to get one hit killed from across the map.

snipers are a permanent staple of modern fps games. I hate them but at this point I've accepted that they will never go away.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kai Tave posted:

Ah yes, the epic clowning of seeing someone's head peak around a corner and pressing M1.
it feels good man. deleting someone with one click and a ding

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in theory the sniper class is meant for cracking apart slow moving tanks with their high damage while being vulnerable to flankers but in this game two/three of the tanks have abilities which straight up negate sniper shots (depending on whether you count zarya's bubble), two of them have abilities that let them close range gaps immediately, and the snipers have huge/infinite magazines, so actually they're best at instagibbing flankers and kind of useless against tanks

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
have you tried not peeking the corner the sniper is watching if you're a super squishy character

just a thought

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Just switch to Winston as soon as you hear widow's rifle and head straight for her.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The "best" Widowmaker counter is still another, better Widowmaker. Sombra can also kill her decently if you manage to get literally right next to her and can blow half of your clip into her head before she has a chance to start using her bullshit jumping hitbox. I've rarely found Winston to be a good counter, because seeing Winston appear at any point almost always sends someone running straight for Reaper.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Jabor posted:

have you tried not peeking the corner the sniper is watching if you're a super squishy character

just a thought

i always corner camp behind my lines as tracer

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The worst part about widow is that if you actually get the drop on her you have to kill her instantly or she's just going to shoot her poison trap at your feet and grapple away to a safe rooftop or another ledge.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The most annoying part about Widow is her jump, honestly. I'd pay really good money to be able to turn on Genji's double jumping hitboxes and Widow's regular jumping hitboxes to see them in action because it feels like they shrink to the width of a lamppost.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

The Walrus posted:

Wow 5 blues and 15 whites. Thanks blizz

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

on the wallriding specifically I do think it's one of those things that's heavily influenced by whether you're playing on a console or pc because while there's some specific places you can get really erratic patterns going (like the pole dancing point on lijang tower, or on any payload) some people act like if you're wallriding you somehow become an impossible to hit target and I can only imagine that being the case if you're aiming with a thumbstick

If playing Skulk has taught me anything, it's that bouncing around off of walls at hyper speed doesn't make you invincible. Harder to hit, sure, but not nearly as much as you'd think.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

I want to move like this Lucio, holy shitballs.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

teagone posted:

I thought that was interesting when comparing his stats to my own as Lucio.

Yeah, I was doing the same thing, it's always interesting to compare yourself to people or much higher rank.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/DSPStanky-1582/heroes/lucio?mode=competitive

vs.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/AbeFrohman-1871/heroes/lucio?mode=competitive

Statistics are fun, and they tend to smooth out over time, it would be cool to look at daily or hourly snapshots of the stats for the season as well.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I went to a No Limits game and everyone on my team went Symmetra. By the end of the game we each had 650 health and melted entire Roadhogs in seconds.

Symmetra is so fun.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Well that was fun. We just had a Dorado match where they pushed us away from the payload and were camping us, but one person managed to sneak around and stand on it. The rest of us frantically started trying to be as distracting as we could without killing them so nobody would respawn and notice, and he capped the thing. The funny thing is we did the same thing for getting the payload to the second point, and they didn't catch on. It's a Christmas miracle.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bruceski posted:

Well that was fun. We just had a Dorado match where they pushed us away from the payload and were camping us, but one person managed to sneak around and stand on it. The rest of us frantically started trying to be as distracting as we could without killing them so nobody would respawn and notice, and he capped the thing. The funny thing is we did the same thing for getting the payload to the second point, and they didn't catch on. It's a Christmas miracle.

A successful backcap is one of the most satisfying things simply because of how much it shouldn't really work, and yet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

A successful backcap is one of the most satisfying things simply because of how much it shouldn't really work, and yet.

Seriously, that guy (I wish I had noticed who) pushed it all the way from that gate that comes down just after the second point. Solo push that's what, a solid minute or 90 seconds of nobody noticing?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bruceski posted:

Seriously, that guy (I wish I had noticed who) pushed it all the way from that gate that comes down just after the second point. Solo push that's what, a solid minute or 90 seconds of nobody noticing?

I was playing with a goongroup one time, I think it was with Zikan and some others, and we were on King's Row defense, and we had been pushed off the first point but were managing to hold in the corridor leading towards the checkpoint, we'd been successful for a couple minutes and we were getting kind of cocky and a little aggressive, bullying the red team further and further back...and their McCree snuck right past of onto the unattended payload and we only suddenly noticed that it was moving too late to prevent him from bringing it to the checkpoint. I'm pretty sure we lost that game but I can't even be mad, well played to that dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bruceski posted:

Yeah it always great when that happens. I managed to do that the other day with Sombra, as the other team was too busy guarding the entrance to notice. McCree finally caught up as I got the cart literally next to the door, but I just threw the disc on the ground and went invisible until he got bored and left and warp back in and cap the point.