Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FadedReality posted:

Sounds like it's got the same issues as most F2P games where you're constantly wondering how much of the design has been compromised to get you to spend money. Grind and repetition are fine and valid aspects of game design but when the grind can be circumvented by spending $13.99 I can't help but think they're wasting my time.

Yeah, that is the thing that kills even good F2p games to me. Design decisions that drag down the experience just to promote for-pay drive me loving nuts and make it hard to enjoy anything. I'd much rather pay $30 for a good game without that poo poo than pay nothing for one with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder how profitable F2P is these days compared to a few years ago. I think a lot more people tend to avoid it or delete it right away.

Generally I won't touch anything F2P to this day. There's been a few exceptions but the model usually inherently drags game design down.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

KrayG posted:

I love the style of Let it Die, it kind of reminds me of God Hand in a lot of ways, it's got that same zany presentation and over the top characters. Hell, even the combat in God Hand was a similar level of janky but Let it Die just feels kind of unrefined in way I can't get to grips with.

Let It Die plays better than any other brawler Grasshopper has made (unless you count Shadows of the Damned), but man that's a low bar. The combat is a passable enough imitation of Souls to not be an obstacle to enjoying the RPG elements and general Suda style. If those things don't appeal to you then I dunno if it's worth playing. God Hand's "jank" was from using RE4-style controls, but once you get the hang of that, it plays like a dream. Let It Die always feels awkward.

Also I would like to register my opinion of the NieR: Automata demo: it good

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

FadedReality posted:

Sounds like it's got the same issues as most F2P games where you're constantly wondering how much of the design has been compromised to get you to spend money. Grind and repetition are fine and valid aspects of game design but when the grind can be circumvented by spending $13.99 I can't help but think they're wasting my time.
The first half or so of the game is pretty fair but after that yeah, it becomes a pretty horrible grind for materials and recovering characters becomes prohibitively expensive. Money earned from chests stops increasing, but gear becomes way more expensive. I definitely like the game overall but the F2P elements hurt it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The only F2P games I downloaded were during the great games drought of winter 2013 (ps4 launch) and they were all terrible, even with nothing else to play besides AC4 and a sometimes working BF4. I'm shocked Warframe somehow got an audience.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can't actually circumvent the grind by paying money

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

lets hang out posted:

you can't actually circumvent the grind by paying money

The premium pass you can buy increases your inventory size and gives you a decent boost to money and experience earned.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The premium pass you can buy increases your inventory size and gives you a decent boost to money and experience earned.

None of which meaningfully reduces the grind, which is mainlly for crafting materials to upgrade your weapons.

It does feature what must be my favourite FtP psychological trick that I've ever seen though; You can get a lift to any floor where you have unlocked the lift. It costs you some in-game currency, increasing as you go up the tower. If you pay for the Direct Hell pass then the lift is free. So far, so what right? But rather than just having the lift be free, there is a seperate lift for DH pass members. Its right next to the economy lift, but the premium lift looks nicer and has a concierge and a couch in it rather than being a grubby looking cargo elevator. I just love the blatant "you COULD use the lovely elevator, or you could pay to ride in style" even though they are in game terms completely identical. They take you to the same floors, they take the same amount of time, its just that the premium one is graphically nicer.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Also whenever you walk up to the premium one it opens up and the concierge gives a courtesy bow before it closes in your face.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've got €30 in my Paypal.... Rise of Tomb Raider????

Yeah if you liked the first one this one builds on that, similarly good with slightly less of a focus on combat but giving you more options (bomb crafting) for combat. Lots to do, and doesn't have open world bloat because of the relatively compact and well designed environments.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The best thing about Let It Die are the frogs and other critters, because they're obviously being voiced by people.

"Oooooooh! Gero gero gero!"

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

:canada: Canadians, lots of huge discounts have gone live, such as RS Siege for $15: https://www.gamedealscanada.com/pa_platform/ps4/ :canada:

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 25, 2016

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Dewgy posted:

The best thing about Let It Die are the frogs and other critters, because they're obviously being voiced by people.

"Oooooooh! Gero gero gero!"

Pretty sure it's the fact that the female characters asses are half covered but the males butts are fully covered. If this wasn't true why does my wife constantly point this out?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Just got a new PS4 and wanted to try the FFIX A Realm Reborn trial, when I try downloading it, it says I already have the game, which im positive I dont, is the trial available to anyone else?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

:canada: Canadians, Skyrim remastered is a mere $30 at Amazon and Walmart right now. Several other huge deals too, like RS Siege for $15: https://www.gamedealscanada.com/pa_platform/ps4/ :canada:

Is Siege still pretty active?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

superbunnyhop just did a state of the game video on it and yeah it is. bloodychill just got it and he's gonna tell me if i should get it but if you get it too i totally will since our tf2 crew is so fun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah if you liked the first one this one builds on that, similarly good with slightly less of a focus on combat but giving you more options (bomb crafting) for combat. Lots to do, and doesn't have open world bloat because of the relatively compact and well designed environments.

disagree a bit. i was let down. definitely felt like sequelitis bloat after the first game. only improvement i liked was that they took out the qtes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
In one of my wiser moves, I managed to prevent drunk QoP from buying it last night so depending on what Santa brings, I'll get it later today. It'll be ready to play by New Years hopefully 😂

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Got a PSN email with a code for an 'exclusive' holiday theme and loving lol, it's so bad. Looks ripped straight out of an early ps1 game

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Real hurthling! posted:

disagree a bit. i was let down. definitely felt like sequelitis bloat after the first game. only improvement i liked was that they took out the qtes

Your experience with Rise seems so completely different from mine that I wonder if we played the same game, sometimes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

let's sit down at a campfire and talk long about our fathers to work it out.

i can see liking it. its not a failure of a game or anything but it didn't advance on the parts i liked about the first enough and just added very many trivial things to burn time on instead. i don't want to be negative on xmas though so i will say i enjoyed the trebuchet sections

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Real hurthling! posted:

let's sit down at a campfire and talk long about our fathers to work it out.

i can see liking it. its not a failure of a game or anything but it didn't advance on the parts i liked about the first enough and just added very many trivial things to burn time on instead. i don't want to be negative on xmas though so i will say i enjoyed the trebuchet sections

Yeah, I'm not saying your perspective is invalid or anything, just really different. I felt like it was a huge improvement in almost every way. There were more tombs (which were my favorite part of the first game) and the way the exploration and progression worked together almost made the game feel like a Metroidvania, even if the rewards for exploring weren't all that interesting.

Also I liked using the bow a lot, and I think there were more trick arrows or something? Hell, even if there weren't, some of the new abilities made the bow feel better to use, so that was cool.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

It's so active that it's getting a season 2 expansion early next year. A no brainer for anyone who likes more cerebral/teamwork FPSes. I plan on returning to it and played it every chance I got for 8+ months.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

King of Solomon posted:

Also I liked using the bow a lot, and I think there were more trick arrows or something?

there are a lot more traversal abilities yes. at least two or 3 like the foothold arrow, swinging shot, and grapple axe.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wasn't too impressed with Rise either. It was allright. I have buddy who thinks it's just about the best game ever made which I don't get at all, but hey I guess it's a little polarizing.

Re siege : yeah if we all get it I'm in. Been wanting to play it since it came out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ok i'm loving doing it rn

edit: i did it. gently caress all this dlc though

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Got the PS4 and uncharted 4, destiny, bloodborne complete, and watch dogs 2. A good Christmas

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

FadedReality posted:

Got the PS4 and uncharted 4, destiny, bloodborne complete, and watch dogs 2. A good Christmas

You able to play Uncharted 4? Because i'm not.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Real hurthling! posted:

ok i'm loving doing it rn

edit: i did it. gently caress all this dlc though

Almost all of the dlc is buyable with currency you earn by playing. Only a small fraction of cosmetic stuff is real money only.

Even the second season pass can be completely earned by playing. It's a good model.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Dying Light : The Following is worth it for 20 if I liked Dead Island last gen?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

John F Bennett posted:

Dying Light : The Following is worth it for 20 if I liked Dead Island last gen?

It's way better that Dead Island so yes, The Following is DLC for the main game I think though so don't just buy that on its own.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I meant to say the complete Dying Light + all dlc for 20, yes. Thanks!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Wow. Played up till the part you escape prison on the first level on Uncharted 4.

Totallllllly sold on my PS4 (pro). This is like a wayyyyy better Tomb Raider with well done story telling and a narrative to give a poo poo about.

And I got the Nathan Drake collection....never played any Uncharted before :allears:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

89 posted:

Wow. Played up till the part you escape prison on the first level on Uncharted 4.

Totallllllly sold on my PS4 (pro). This is like a wayyyyy better Tomb Raider with well done story telling and a narrative to give a poo poo about.

And I got the Nathan Drake collection....never played any Uncharted before :allears:

The series is good fun.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

89 posted:

I rebought UC4 just to play it again with upgraded visuals (super cheap on ebay). Anyone who says the Pro isn't a huge upgrade in 4K either has an eyesight issue or didn't set it up properly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Debating between Rise of Tomb Raider and Arkham remasters 😳
I LOVED asylum and I'd like to play it again but I wish it was a separate game. City is still fairly fresh in my memory and wasn't a particular standout for me.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I rebought UC4 just to play it again with upgraded visuals (super cheap on ebay). Anyone who says the Pro isn't a huge upgrade in 4K either has an eyesight issue or didn't set it up properly.

I just have a 1080p (65") and it looks incredible

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Rinkles posted:

The series is good fun.

It's Drake's serious but fun (and clear addiction to adventure) that makes the games more enjoyable to play over the new Tomb Raiders.

Also, like, no one (even the game) is treating Drake like some ultimate badass, you just are from the gameplay and continually get your poo poo pushed in on almost every cut scene. Hell, I think it wasn't until the 3rd game where the plot actually acknowledges you've just gone on a murder spree killing hundreds of men.

Tomb Raider in the other hand seems all about building up Lara to be this ultimate loving adventurer and it gets grating after a while.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm honestly not sure what aspect of ROTR is supposed to be great. The narrative, pacing and story are terrible. The open world stuff was a showcase of the worst of open world content, the enemy encounters were consistently boring.

overall I thought it was a super dull game and while I didn't love the first one I thought it was a lot better than ROTR and if nothing else it felt like less of a chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I ranted about it a week or so ago, but UC is the most over rated series since Halo.

• Locked thread