Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wrist Watch posted:

Quality of the material aside, this material on snapchat is like, actual canon homestuck, right?
Didn't Hussie say it was "post-canon" content?

Wrist Watch posted:

Like, even if Hussie isn't scripting this, the fact that it's linked on the main page means that as a fan of homestuck I should be considering this as extra bonus material that's canon to the story?
So is the fansperging stuff on wikia.

Basically bit's just some official fanfiction. It's bad fanfiction, worse than Paradox Space. I only follow this thread still to get news on the game. The snapchat stuff I don't care about and only see what's posted in this thread; it's sufficient to dissuade me from looking for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Have an extremely conksucky Christmas, thread.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, I still remember when those updates were new, back in 2010. Following along at my family christmas. Lovely fun. Jade was my favourite.

For all that I'll ever be a Homestuck apologist, those were undoubtedly better days.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Clawtopsy posted:

Usually though, it's played with a referential nod and wink to the audience that it's on some level """"ironic""""", or a cliffnotes of what we missed, right? Homestuck's weakest writing moments have been when Hussie (and now Cohen) have glossed over things without explanation. The most egregious examples I can presently think of are Dave/Terezi and John/Vriska simply disintegrating between scenes.

Was Dave/Terezi ever really romantic, outside Karkat's fevered imagination? It's been too long for me to remember one way or another.

John/Vriska did get some acknowledgement:

quote:

JOHN: like...
JOHN: you remember that troll girl who was sort of into me?
JADE: mm hm
JOHN: well, ok.
JOHN: that seemed like a pretty big deal at the time!
JOHN: it really seemed like she liked me, but also, she was *probably* insane?
JOHN: like, i mean, in a trollish, murderous kind of way.
JADE: yikes
JOHN: but craziness notwithstanding, i didn't really know what to think.
JOHN: i guess i thought she was cool at the time. i was honestly kind of flummoxed about it.
JOHN: but the point is, when all was said and done, that was just some stuff that happened over one day, which was a whole year ago already.
JOHN: i barely even remember what we talked about.
by the time we meet up, she probably won't give a poo poo about me at all.
JOHN: which, let's face it, is probably for the best.
JADE: .....
JOHN: i think we make things more meaningful in our head when they're happening than they really are. like realistically? there were probably a lot of things that went on that day that didn't mean that much.

You may or may not find this satisfying (I'm not super pleased with it myself), but it's not nothing.

Also I think it came up again sometime later in act 6? Not gonna try to hunt for it now...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ya know, now that I think about it, Rouge One is another story with some intresting ideas that's ruined by those ideas being poorly presented and badly paced. That sassy robot sure was fun though, his scenes were the only ones that didn't make me feel bored.

Suddenly, your bad Homestuck opinions make a lot more sense.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Vriska dated the dead-John what who died from Terezi's schemes. They dated and broke up off screen, then Lord English lasered that John.

The dialogue there was actually John being in denial a bit, he was still hung up on Vriska but was trying to act like he wasn't. It's not until he meets up with her again for pirate time shenanigans where he learns a)she dated and broke up with an alt-version of him and isn't up for a round 2 and b) holy poo poo she's actually really loving terrible, that he actually gets over her.

e; oh yeah Jade also dated Davesprite so there was at least some potential, maybe, depending on exactly how gay Dave actually be.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't really recall any indication that John was hung up on Vriska. Are you thinking of anything in particular?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't really recall any indication that John was hung up on Vriska. Are you thinking of anything in particular?

Yes

The text of the story.

Like the whole bit with John not remembering Vriska's name was subtle at first but did have "Not Over It" pretty firmly stamped on it.

The fact that later he knows exactly what her name was and is all kinds of interested in picking up where they left off until she Vriskas all over him is just further proof of that. Like it's not even subtle.

He just then sees the worst of (Vriska) which allows him to see the worst of Vriska(Vriska)

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Burkion posted:

He just then sees the worst of (Vriska) which allows him to see the worst of Vriska(Vriska)

I kind of hate how much sense this sentence makes to me

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I seem to recall Dave and Terezi trying to date on the meteor but it not working out due to Dave's dislike of the quadrants. Plus they had some pretty great chemistry prior.

e: Even if it wasn't romantic, it certainly falls apart on a friendship level without much circumstance.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 24, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PleasingFungus posted:

Suddenly, your bad Homestuck opinions make a lot more sense.

No poo poo. All of my opinions are bad, I have never made that a secret.

Clawtopsy posted:

I seem to recall Dave and Terezi trying to date on the meteor but it not working out due to Dave's dislike of the quadrants. Plus they had some pretty great chemistry prior.

e: Even if it wasn't romantic, it certainly falls apart on a friendship level without much circumstance.

Basically all of the relationships that are built up in Act five (either friendship or romantic) stop mattering in Act 6. Kanaya/Rose is the only one that manages to survive, and it's a hard won survival that comes at the cost of their individual development as characters independent of each other.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Basically all of the relationships that are built up in Act five (either friendship or romantic) stop mattering in Act 6. Kanaya/Rose is the only one that manages to survive, and it's a hard won survival that comes at the cost of their individual development as characters independent of each other.

Almost everything built up in Act 5 stopped mattering once act 6 started. The old cast, their relationships, the entirety of the Exiles and the Midnight crew and Bec Nior as antagonists. The end of act 5 murdered any narrative momentum or importance of any plotpoints in favor of setting up 6 new characters that all kind of sucked.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Almost everything built up in Act 5 stopped mattering once act 6 started. The old cast, their relationships, the entirety of the Exiles and the Midnight crew and Bec Nior as antagonists. The end of act 5 murdered any narrative momentum or importance of any plotpoints in favor of setting up 6 new characters that all kind of sucked.

There was an attempt to make some of that stuff briefly relevant again right at the end of Act 6, how successful that attempt was is widely debated to say the least.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

My big issue right now is that these snaps are a hilariously poor way to tell a story, and as such I have absolutely no idea what is going on or why.

Whose idea was this and why is this happening? If they have more story to tell, why aren't they putting it on the actual site?

I really like Homestuck for the most part and it's not fair to let this snapchat poo poo ruin the whole thing for me, but I don't understand this + don't like it + wish it seemed like anyone involved knew what the gently caress they're doing

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think the snaps were great when they fit in logically with what the characters would be doing. The credits and Halloween are the kids sharing cool moments from their lives with their friends, i.e. the actual purpose of Snapchat, so it feels natural and the medium suits the content.

Now, they're trying to tell a standard narrative with the snaps without actually justifying why the characters would be Snapchatting each other during these events. Homestuck proper was very careful about never doing this. It always goes through an elaborate justificatory process to provide a reason for having the characters speak in a chatlog, and if it can't justify it, it doesn't do it. Like, why is Bec Noir Snapchatting people? Who is he Snapchatting? This seems like the kind of kiddy rear end frivolity he would completely hate, and in fact he voices his distaste for it in one of his first snaps, so why is he doing it?

It's definitely a flaw. Part of the genius of Homestuck was the way its unusual twists in medium were elaborately and often carefully justified by an equally twisty narrative.

I loved Halloween though, so I don't think it's just "Cohen is bad". I think he has just made a misstep here perhaps, quite possibly because unlike Hussie, he might be editorially restricted to this format. But if that's the case, he should have found a smoother way to integrate the story he wanted to tell than just using the snaps like comic panels with dialogue overlaid on them.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
MSPaintAdventures peaked with my binge-reading of Problem Sleuth and it's all been downhill since then.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Android Blues posted:

I loved Halloween though, so I don't think it's just "Cohen is bad". I think he has just made a misstep here perhaps, quite possibly because unlike Hussie, he might be editorially restricted to this format. But if that's the case, he should have found a smoother way to integrate the story he wanted to tell than just using the snaps like comic panels with dialogue overlaid on them.

A big shift in tone for the post-game society would be the kids only being seen in random Consort or whatever snapchats, and having the story essentially be carried through the kids photobombing someone elses' story.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tunicate posted:

A big shift in tone for the post-game society would be the kids only being seen in random Consort or whatever snapchats, and having the story essentially be carried through the kids photobombing someone elses' story.

This would own and be smart.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

But how can we incorporate their quirks, then? geez it's like you don't even want them to have awful dialogue and poorly explained motivations

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Android Blues posted:

I think he has just made a misstep here perhaps, quite possibly because unlike Hussie, he might be editorially restricted to this format.

If this is true they should hurry up and unrestrict the guy. He's clearly chomping at the bit to do a Homestuck story in the traditional format (with plot and dialogue and all that jazz) I say give him a shot, see how that plays out.

Tunicate posted:

Even that seems like something that would be better if it weren't confined to only selfies. The story could be also be told through blog posts and news articles about the Gods written by normal citizens.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Given how lovely a job he's doing, I think a format that gets deleted after 24 hrs is ideal.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Bilirubin posted:

I find myself not giving a single poo poo about these snapchats vOv
I wish I could, but in my head Aradia and Aranea make a road trip to learn some people's stories and share some (okay, a lot) of their own and that's the story my brain is going with.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

*no writing experience, gently caress up fairly minor tasks, is the lead writer and creative developer of a game that was back for 2.5 million dollarydoos*

wow, get hype!

Bell_ posted:

I wish I could, but in my head Aradia and Aranea make a road trip to learn some people's stories and share some (okay, a lot) of their own and that's the story my brain is going with.

you. i like you.

e: I remember saying i wanted Aranea back and you questioned me on it, but if this is what happens to Bec then nope, thank you. pass. she burnt to double death. rip.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 25, 2016

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Are you trying to imply that running a twitter account does not count as writing experience

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

Are you trying to imply that running a twitter account does not count as writing experience

if hussie had hired Dril i'd be ecstatic.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Tunicate posted:

if hussie had hired Dril i'd be ecstatic.

He won't because he knows he'll be outshone

http://drilstuck.tumblr.com/

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm just getting nothing from this snapchat medium at all. It worked really well for the epilogue, updating Homestuck's internet media gimmick for 2016 and providing a light format for a montage of post-game scenes while interlacing some larger questions left open. It even worked okay for some of the simple fluff updates, a little drip-feed of silly bits here and there was an acceptable way to keep Homestuck seeming "active" while they work on stuff like the game or whatever other project they might be hinting at. It's garbage for narrative though, for all the reasons people have already pointed out, and doesn't work as a drip-feed of "serious" updates the same way the old ones did.

That bit with Bec/Jack Noir? Why is his text written like narration? That's so drat clumsy. Everyone else you can believe is typing text on their snaps like they used to with their logs but Noir never did logs, so that's just the narration that'd follow him around, but now he's writing it out? Bleh.

The big problem with delegating Homestuck writing to someone else is that I don't know how much this guy can adapt or try new things if the current track he's on isn't working. It's not a very agile way to write a comic (or whatever Homestuck is) if he has to go back to Hussie and hash it out every time the structure needs tweaking. You can end up with new authors trying to leave their mark, establish themselves, wanting to avoid admitting mistakes the original author might not have made and so plowing ahead with bad decisions. Homestuck has a history of successful collaboration from the art and music teams but almost exclusively with Hussie at the helm.

If the plot threads teased in the epilogue concerning John's dissatisfaction, Terezi's roaming, the black hole in paradox space and the incomplete Caliborn -> Lord English time loop disappear down the cracks due to some disconnect with a new writer and some new direction for the Homestuck "franchise", it's going to suuuuuck.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Yeah I really got no defense here. Snaps leading up to the credits was a genuinely neat idea, the Halloween snaps were a cute little bonus, but this actual plot stuff is....yeah it's incredibly ill-suited to the format.

I do find it humorously ironic that the hatewatchers are seeing them at a higher rate than casual fans who generally liked the comic but saw no reason to keep following it after it ended.
I think Homestuck's ending was really bad, and Act 6 in general was just a Gordian knot of mistakes, but at the same time I think the comic earned the right to be followed until the bitter end. It just seems wrong to wash my hands of Homestuck completely when I enjoyed it up until really getting into the thick of Act 6. I dunno, maybe that's stupid, but at one point Hussie was/is a really good writer and I really want to see a satisfying end to this thing.

But these snapchats updates, I dunno.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
For a long time I loved Homestuck, and while I can certainly still say I like it ships have all sailed and I don't get anything out of what that brand publishes these days.

Equal parts nostalgia and posting with mspa postin' pals are what brings me back to this thread. It's unlikely anything short of a project unrelated to this one will interest me in that site for a while.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Dolash posted:

That bit with Bec/Jack Noir? Why is his text written like narration? That's so drat clumsy. Everyone else you can believe is typing text on their snaps like they used to with their logs but Noir never did logs, so that's just the narration that'd follow him around, but now he's writing it out? Bleh.

All the scenes with the carapace people were written as second-hand narration in the comic proper, but that gimmick now seems extra-awkward in Snapchats.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
homestuck is voiding its bowels in its death throes and these snapchats are the poop

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Pardon me for interrupting

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Slime posted:

homestuck is voiding its bowels in its death throes and these snapchats are the poop

So what are we?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Samovar posted:

So what are we?

The less-than-pleased load gaper.

Or the dirt floor, depending.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

poo poo connoisseurs.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Poop Goblins

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Plom Bar posted:

Pardon me for interrupting

Oh, so that explains the quality of the snapchats. He's writing these in a hospital room.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Remember when I made this thread 5+ years ago.

I hope everyone just suddenly felt the icy grasp of mortality.

Happy holidays. :D

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Happy Holidays, you too will die without seeing the Homestuck epilogue

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Zoolooman posted:

ah yes, the days when we thought homestuck would end in a timely fashion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Zoolooman posted:

Hmm, it appears this thread first start... Oct. 21st, 2011? Why, that's like only a couple days from Cascade dropping!

... it's kinda disappointing that the high point of the whole comic was 2 years after it started and 5 years before it ended.

Not to say everything after Cascade was bad, just everything before Cascade was better.

Though everything we've seen since the end of Homestuck has been pretty bad.