Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

GreenElephant posted:

I took a look at the latest .exe and dlls and as far as I can tell (by scanning for strings and function names) there are zero references to Lumberyard specific things being used. No AWS/cloud API stuff, No Geppetto, no GridMate, no "Gems" system. They still seem to use Scaleform for the UI, instead of the thing Lumberyard replaced it with.

They do connect to an Amazon EC2 instance for the actual game, but running an on Amazon server instead of anywhere else doesn't require any special game engine, I mean, an EC2 instance like that can run any php/binaries etc as needed. Maybe the "a year to switch to lumberyard" actually mean "a year to copy our server files to an amazon server and run it from there, for some reason".

I did find a reference to "Lumberyard Settings" in the .exe, maybe something planned for the .cfg file, dunno.

So my guess: Near zero client-side changes have been made, it's primarily a publicity deal with Amazon in exchange for cheaper servers and is being misrepresented as a full code merge.

Question for CIG: What specific features from Lumberyard have been merged with the "StarEngine"?

This effortless code merging strikes me as a proper load of bollocks. I'm not a coder and I'm happy to be schooled on it, but it seems like an impossibility that you could combine lumberyard and whatever cig has crobbled together without any problems. Even if lumberyard is only a tiny bit different, does it really seem likely they just slammed these two branches of ce into each other without any issues (and therefore expended money and resources)?

If they really have been working on it for a year that doesn't suggest smooth sailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I'm afraid reports of my resurrection have been greatly exaggerated

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

alphabettitouretti posted:

This effortless code merging strikes me as a proper load of bollocks. I'm not a coder and I'm happy to be schooled on it, but it seems like an impossibility that you could combine lumberyard and whatever cig has crobbled together without any problems. Even if lumberyard is only a tiny bit different, does it really seem likely they just slammed these two branches of ce into each other without any issues (and therefore expended money and resources)?

If they really have been working on it for a year that doesn't suggest smooth sailing.

If you had two codebases, both with the same ancestor, that had both been under active, independent development for more than say, a week. Merging them back together or switching from one to the other would be like, "lol gently caress no, you guys are nuts". I mean, the TFS diff too still freaks out and shits itself if you use ReSharper to clean up a file and merge it in on top of some other guys change. The paid diff/merge tools aren't much better and do wacky poo poo too that requires hours of head scratching and pulling in the guys that made the changes to figure out what really should be in this branch versus that branch.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Lol if anyone actually thinks Chris Roberts plays games.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

There is no way this wasn't written by a real marketing pro. Crobbers is unable to provide more than 2 paragraphs without rambling. He surely never would be able to bullshit this much so eloquently...

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Complaints on the forums must have been deafening to force crobbers to make a statement.

^^ or at lest some who runs the forums.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mah Lumber brings all the code to the yard y'all Merry crimbo

Lumberyard, Lumberyard
Lumberyard code
Lumberyard swing
And Lumberyards ring
Parping and deltas
Up bushels of fun
Now the refactor hop has begun

Lumberyard, Lumberyard
Lumberyard code
Lumberyards chime in
Lumberyard time
Dealin' and squealin'
In Lumberyard square
In the parpy air

What a parp time
It's the fart time
To code the month away
Lumberyard, time
Is a hard time
To go codin' in a
One trick way

Giddy-up, Lumber code
Pick up your speed
Lumber around the clock
Parp and mingle
With a Lumberin' need
That's the Lumberyard code

:pgabz:

:gary:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Pimblor posted:

If you had two codebases, both with the same ancestor, that had both been under active, independent development for more than say, a week. Merging them back together or switching from one to the other would be like, "lol gently caress no, you guys are nuts". I mean, the TFS diff too still freaks out and shits itself if you use ReSharper to clean up a file and merge it in on top of some other guys change. The paid diff/merge tools aren't much better and do wacky poo poo too that requires hours of head scratching and pulling in the guys that made the changes to figure out what really should be in this branch versus that branch.

Even if it did only take two people a day to swap (maybe the same whizz kids who built the space door from a garage door opener?) it's still loving cryengine. It's still a shambling bag of decay chock full of bugs that's totally unsuited to the game they want to make.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Mae Christmas !

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Don't forget your parents on the doxing day.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I still subscribe because the puzzlebox tells me to.

Star Citizen.... you're playing right now.

You'd be surprised the kind of poo poo you have to do when you're a developer. So much of it is just wading through the poo poo and doing the work that no-one else wants to do. What's soul destroying is when your last n months of work is flushed.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ewe2 posted:

Mah Lumber brings all the code to the yard y'all Merry crimbo

Lumberyard, Lumberyard
Lumberyard code
Lumberyard swing
And Lumberyards ring
Parping and deltas
Up bushels of fun
Now the refactor hop has begun

Lumberyard, Lumberyard
Lumberyard code
Lumberyards chime in
Lumberyard time
Dealin' and squealin'
In Lumberyard square
In the parpy air

What a parp time
It's the fart time
To code the month away
Lumberyard, time
Is a hard time
To go codin' in a
One trick way

Giddy-up, Lumber code
Pick up your speed
Lumber around the clock
Parp and mingle
With a Lumberin' need
That's the Lumberyard code

:pgabz:

:gary:

v good.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Lol if anyone actually thinks Chris Roberts plays games.

he probably playes Elite

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
LumbarCheck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5M-2du-t30

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

Das Butterbrot posted:

he probably playes Elite

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Posting from the past but actually...

The Titanic posted:

I bet one of their programmers did it over the weekend while also sipping tea and looking over an old garage door opener.

Engine switch is literally just take all the source code and paste them together and hit compile. Easiest thing in the world really. Same with layering the code behind the ideas.

Everybody knows the hard part is coming up with all these ideas. Good thing they have Chris Roberts for those! His latest great idea of "dump everything, revert to a free engine based on CryEngine!" was literally phenomenal. I hope he gives himself a huuuuge Christmas bonus for that one!!! :allears:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/364217

quote:

Lumberyard and StarEngine are both forks from exactly the SAME build of CryEngine.

We stopped taking new builds from Crytek towards the end of 2015. So did Amazon. Because of this the core of the engine that we use is the same one that Amazon use and the switch was painless (I think it took us a day or so of two engineers on the engine team). What runs Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is our heavily modified version of the engine which we have dubbed StarEngine, just now our foundation is Lumberyard not CryEngine. None of our work was thrown away or modified. We switched the like for like parts of the engine from CryEngine to Lumberyard. All of our bespoke work from 64 bit precision, new rendering and planet tech, Item / Entity 2.0, Local Physics Grids, Zone System, Object Containers and so on were unaffected and remain unique to Star Citizen.

Going forward we will utilize the features of Lumberyard that make sense for Star Citizen. We made this choice as Amazon's and our focus is aligned in building massively online games that utilize the power of cloud computing to deliver a richer online experience than would be possible with an old fashioned single server architecture (which is what CryNetwork is).

Looking at Crytek's roadmap and Amazon's we determined that Amazon was investing in the areas we were most interested in. They are a massive company that is making serious investments into Lumberyard and AWS to support next generation online gaming. Crytek doesn't have the resources to compete with this level of investment and have never been focused on the network or online aspects of the engine in the way we or Amazon are. Because of this combined with the fact we weren't taking new builds of CryEngine we decided that Amazon would be the best partner going forward for the future of Star Citizen.

Finally there was no ulterior motive in the timing of the announcement. The deal wasn't fully finalized until after the release of 2.5 and we agreed with Amazon to announce the switch and partnership upon the release of 2.6, which would be the first release on Lumberyard and AWS. If you have been checking out our schedule updates you would know that we originally had hoped to release 2.6 at the beginning of December, not Friday the 23rd!

I hope this clears up some of the speculation I have seen. We are very excited to be partnered with Amazon and feel this move is a big win for Star Citizen and by extension everyone that has backed the project.

p.s. I wont be replying to this as it is Christmas and I am meant to be enjoying a bit of time off with my family (and playing some games - you may see me pop into a Star Marine or AC match or two!)

p.p.s Happy Holidays All!

Hadn't they been working at it for over a year according to the newsletter?

lol

So, if this is so meaninglessly easy, the impact to current StarEngine is almost zero and it was already fully independent of CryEngine, why tie yourself with a single supplier for cloud support? Especially when presumably CIG will not be benefiting from most (or any) of Amazon core engine point updates to LY in the same way CIG decided to diverge from CryEngine point updates. I mean it is not like twitch integration is the dog' s bollocks innit?

- Human resources could be one reason. Lack of experience (and expensive) coders versus basically a potentially very cheap labor source where any kid and his mama can have a go at it, I guess. If CIG needs to lay off significantly during 2017 access to very cheap labor would be a gift from the gods.

- Netcode woes, persistence etc do not seem to have a better chance with Amazon, ref Gamelift faq and all either:

https://aws.amazon.com/gamelift/faq/

quote:

Q. What types of game genres are recommended for use with Amazon GameLift?
Amazon GameLift is designed to support session-based games with game loops that begin and end within a specified time period. Typically, these are multiplayer games in genres like first person shooters, MOBAs, fighting, racing, or sports. Amazon GameLift is not designed to support games with persistent worlds that never reset, such as MMOs or sandbox games. Amazon GameLift is also not designed to support asynchronous turn-based multiplayer designs that are often used for mobile or social games.

- Money, I find it hard to believe that an organization such as Amazon decided to invest in a train wreck such as Star Citizen but either way it would be big if that was the case given the flagship promises of independence by Crobblers. What would Amazon have to gain in the deal? Is it the details of those 1.6 million accounts at the RSI site? Is it just a piece of the action in future sales?

Puzzled.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 25, 2016

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Merry Christmas, content locusts.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Holy poo poo, he posted on the forums. A Chris-mess miracle.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

trucutru posted:

^^^ Nah, we non-brits have good xmas food ^^^
Mincemeat is good you loving savage.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Please remember to call your parents and tell them you're switching engines which is a very positive move, honest... But be sure to simultaneously stress that it's really no big deal. They love you very much and don't understand game development.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Translation: We switched engines and sold your souls to Amazon without any warning. Sandi and I are going on vacation, gently caress everyone else.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

alf_pogs posted:

swear to god derek tokes hard and smashes entire pizzas while trolling through the frontier forums

Does Derek like Elite Dangerous?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

either chris hasnt been snorting cocaine for the past year straight or that was written by someone else

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

McGiggins posted:

Does Derek like Elite Dangerous?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

i think so but im sure he can tell you in about a thousand words

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I am a coder and it strikes me as a proper load of bollocks as well.

There are two options here:
1) CIG lied about all the changes they made to Star Engine. It was all achieved with clever tricks available to standard Cryengine so it was just a matter of copy pasting.
2) CIG is lying when they say the transition already happened and in reality they are hoping to include it in 3.0

I'm going with 2, if for nothing else because the only way they could have done the transition and nobody noticing to the point that even the ridiculous bugs in SC remained the same is if Lumberyard is also a vanilla version of Cryengine with no changes. About a decade ago I switched versions of the programming language I used and it cost me months refactoring poo poo, and this is just stupid billing/accounting software.
What the hell happens when Star Citizen calls FUNCTION 64BITPOS which CIG made especially for Star Engine? What happens when they call a function that was unchanged in their version but that was modified for Lumberyard?

"We triggered it 35 minutes ago" is pure bullshit that is going to come back and byte Croberts in the rear end when they fail to do the transition as smoothly as he hopes they will and 3.0 gets delayed indefinitely OR all the engine work they claim to have done over the years was a lie and they just loving straight out stole $140 million.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

GreenElephant posted:

I took a look at the latest .exe and dlls and as far as I can tell (by scanning for strings and function names) there are zero references to Lumberyard specific things being used. No AWS/cloud API stuff, No Geppetto, no GridMate, no "Gems" system. They still seem to use Scaleform for the UI, instead of the thing Lumberyard replaced it with.

They do connect to an Amazon EC2 instance for the actual game, but running an on Amazon server instead of anywhere else doesn't require any special game engine, I mean, an EC2 instance like that can run any php/binaries etc as needed. Maybe the "a year to switch to lumberyard" actually mean "a year to copy our server files to an amazon server and run it from there, for some reason".

I did find a reference to "Lumberyard Settings" in the .exe, maybe something planned for the .cfg file, dunno.

So my guess: Near zero client-side changes have been made, it's primarily a publicity deal with Amazon in exchange for cheaper servers and is being misrepresented as a full code merge.

Question for CIG: What specific features from Lumberyard have been merged with the "StarEngine"?

lol, hosed up if true

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Happy holidays everyone!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

One thing that this emphasizes is that after five years of development and $140 million CIG still can't get their netcode to work.

What CAN they get to work?

Oh, their store, I forgot. People have got to be able to buy their $35 missiles that don't work.

Merry Chrismess and a Happy Goon Year to you all.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Merry Chrismas, fellow lumberjacks

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

XK posted:

Heads up. Your cat is on the keyboard.

Devias ligar aos teus pais e dar-lhes a boa nova de tane.

Alem disso doxxing é mau.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
DEREK SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO THE THREAD OR BE PERMABANNED CAUSE THIS IS ALL YOUR DOING.

mods make it so, as a gift to us all.

EDIT: merry Christmas Thread. See you next year, in the verse.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 25, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

christmas this year was great hope everyone has a good ol day for it

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Lol is this reality?

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
holy poo poo. this can't be real.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Don't forget your parents on the doxing day.

:golfclap:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

So wait, Chris posted that it only took a few days to move over by two people? They either are inhuman coders or CIG didn't do poo poo with StarEngine.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chris Roberts posted:

All of our bespoke work from 64 bit precision, new rendering and planet tech, Item / Entity 2.0, Local Physics Grids, Zone System, Object Containers and so on were unaffected and remain unique to Star Citizen.

These technically don't exist in any build so of course these elements of the StarEngine will be unaffected.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
So overall how does 2.6 play is it still pretty buggy? How does it compare to previous Baby PU releases quality wise?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Star Citizen: Fork off Cryengine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

KM Scorchio posted:

Please remember to call your parents and tell them you're switching engines which is a very positive move, honest... But be sure to simultaneously stress that it's really no big deal. They love you very much and don't understand game development.

"But son, if you transitioned almost a year ago, why didn't you tell us? Was it hard for you?"

"Nah dad, it was very easy, did it in like one day, just like that."

"OK son, we'll support you no matter what"

"Please don't cut my allowance"