Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

i mean it could be, but this happened when i updated to new ios 10.1(?). feels they hosed up the software or something.

Definitely is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

SourKraut posted:

Personally if you're transitioning from PC, go with the 2015 rMBP. You're going to have negligible performance difference between the 2015 and 2016, and the USB 3.0 ports on the 2015 means you can probably reuse a lot of any accessories you already own or use with your PC.

If you end up happy with the rMBP and OS X, then in a few years or so you can sell the 2015 for a good amount and pick up a new one with a refined Touch Bar and such. But the 2015 has two Thunderbolt 2.0 ports so I don't think driving a couple 4K displays in the future will be an issue.

Thanks for the tip. Strangely, I just got the email from IT today that my computer is due to get life-cycled out and I can pick a new one. Apparently I can pick a rMBP 15 so maybe I'll just wait a bit and see how broken they make it. I assume it's going to have all kinds of poo poo locked down, but between my wife getting a 2016 13" fkey rMBP and work getting me a 2016 15" rMBP, it's probably safest to just loving bite the bullet and share all the USB-C stuff at this point.

Apparently I can't order the computer til February though, so I'll just hold off at this point. I don't mind dongles at the desks, as long as I can set everything up like I need it and just plug in like one connector (like dropping a PC on a dock sort of). We'll see how it goes.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I am also selling a Macbook (2013 Air 13") https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Phil Schiller says Apple is working with Consumer Reports in wake of MacBook Pro battery issues

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/23/macbook-battery/

Translation: "We thought we could just ignore the problem because at first it was just the tech youtube community mentioning it. Then people on reddit complained but we still ignored any issues about battery. Finally to hide this from users we just hid the estimated battery life altogether. But now that Consumer Reports, something 'non-tech' people might take advice from and could quite possibly damage our sales, has taken notice we have decided to write a "tweet" (rather than you know a press release that may make it sound like it's a serious issue!) denying what has already been widely reported in the tech community, in the hopes that regular non-tech people will just buy Apple anyways. Also we enjoy writing run-on sentences"

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am still pissed about a couple of things Apple has been doing but on the upside I tried the AirPods at an Apple Store recently.

I tried VERY HARD (to the amusement/horror of shoppers and patient employees around me) to get them to fall out of my ears. They did not budge even with the most violent movements I could muster.

At first glance they sound and work really good.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Best hard case for 2015 rMBP? Anyone have suggestions? I don't need to turn it into a Toughbook, but my old 2011 had quite a few dents over the years, and my 2015 hard plastic shell from Monoprice (that they don't sell anymore) is cracking in places and has absorbed quite a lot of hard bumps, looking for something new.

Was thinking of this one: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00EXUG8D6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2Q9LYE86KCVXE&coliid=I2X2XOUI6M2P3O&psc=1

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Haven't tried Mosiso but I had a Kuzy and wish I spent the extra $10 on a Speck

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are there any decent diagnostics tools for OSX publicly available? I *think* my 2011 MBA is having some issues these days that go beyond just 'reinstall OSX' as this installation isn't that old. I probably push it harder than it's designed for but not ridiculously, but I'm getting stability issues now which makes me think either RAM or SSD issue. I know the battery is a bit crap already.

It's not going to be my only machine for too much longer I hope, it all depends on what the 2017 iMac situation is like I guess, but I'd like it to be somewhat reliable even so.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

Phil Schiller says Apple is working with Consumer Reports in wake of MacBook Pro battery issues

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/23/macbook-battery/

Translation: "We thought we could just ignore the problem because at first it was just the tech youtube community mentioning it. Then people on reddit complained but we still ignored any issues about battery. Finally to hide this from users we just hid the estimated battery life altogether. But now that Consumer Reports, something 'non-tech' people might take advice from and could quite possibly damage our sales, has taken notice we have decided to write a "tweet" (rather than you know a press release that may make it sound like it's a serious issue!) denying what has already been widely reported in the tech community, in the hopes that regular non-tech people will just buy Apple anyways. Also we enjoy writing run-on sentences"

That or Apple really does give a poo poo about battery life in their laptops.

I mean, previous MacBooks consistently give better battery life than advertised and having such inconsistent results on a new model is rather puzzling.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

If that were the case they wouldn't have waited until CR reported an issue, they literally hand waved every other report of the issue with "you retards don't know what you're talking about, we're taking away the battery meter to try to shut you up"

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

theperminator posted:

If that were the case they wouldn't have waited until CR reported an issue, they literally hand waved every other report of the issue with "you retards don't know what you're talking about, we're taking away the battery meter to try to shut you up"

Being arrogant as gently caress is an Apple standby. Maybe they're holding it wrong.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

FCKGW posted:

I mean, previous MacBooks consistently give better battery life than advertised and having such inconsistent results on a new model is rather puzzling.
lol no they don't. if they did, would they have just stuck the old battery model into the latest 2016 model rather than try and getting their newer model to work? nope they gotta get a new revision _NOW_ before the holiday season so they don't lose sales.

and then if they really did care then when the problem first came to light they would have made an announcement immediately following all the reviews that essentially reported that the battery was iffy. for example, here's mossberg's review of the macbook pro when it came out ~5 weeks ago on nov 14: http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/14/13618142/walt-mossberg-macbook-pro-fast-slim-tweener

so tons of news sites have reported this weird battery issue ever since they came out and you're trying to tell me apple gives a poo poo about it? not only did apple try to "hide" it with the OS update to remove the info about hours left on a battery, they did this all before the CR came out. feel free to swallow apple's terrible reason for it, but the mere appearance of trying to hide something makes them look bad.

all apple is trying to do is cut off the bad publicity during the holiday weekend.

i mean defending apple is one thing, but how can you not be mad about this if you bought the 2016 model? they essentially put in a older battery model into a slimmer frame, and largely ignored any reports about the battery until now. people are paying upwards of $3K for it and you're saying they should be fine with an unpredictable battery? i mean if you're fine with it... great i guess?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Strong Sauce posted:

lol no they don't. if they did, would they have just stuck the old battery model into the latest 2016 model rather than try and getting their newer model to work? nope they gotta get a new revision _NOW_ before the holiday season so they don't lose sales.

and then if they really did care then when the problem first came to light they would have made an announcement immediately following all the reviews that essentially reported that the battery was iffy. for example, here's mossberg's review of the macbook pro when it came out ~5 weeks ago on nov 14: http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/14/13618142/walt-mossberg-macbook-pro-fast-slim-tweener

so tons of news sites have reported this weird battery issue ever since they came out and you're trying to tell me apple gives a poo poo about it? not only did apple try to "hide" it with the OS update to remove the info about hours left on a battery, they did this all before the CR came out. feel free to swallow apple's terrible reason for it, but the mere appearance of trying to hide something makes them look bad.

all apple is trying to do is cut off the bad publicity during the holiday weekend.

i mean defending apple is one thing, but how can you not be mad about this if you bought the 2016 model? they essentially put in a older battery model into a slimmer frame, and largely ignored any reports about the battery until now. people are paying upwards of $3K for it and you're saying they should be fine with an unpredictable battery? i mean if you're fine with it... great i guess?

I bet the next update just disables the touch bar whenever running off battery.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
vim users would love that.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Strong Sauce posted:

i mean defending apple is one thing, but how can you not be mad about this if you bought the 2016 model?

My battery life was great for the month I was using it and it's probably a software issue. Fun watching everyone get riled up, though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

jawbroken posted:

My battery life was great for the month I was using it and it's probably a software issue. Fun watching everyone get riled up, though.

A software issue that persists for weeks and restricts usage by hours is an issue, assuming you do work on your computer.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Sure, of course, did anyone say otherwise? It should be investigated and fixed. I said that because people are posting like it's a hardware issue with the battery design, which is probably not the case.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jawbroken posted:

What battery life are you getting out of it?

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
I was getting 8-12 hours depending on load. Enough for a day at work with no charger. I had a hardware failure though so I'm waiting for a replacement laptop to be shipped.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Edit: Merry Christmas!

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 25, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Gotta laugh at apple's bad luck though.

Remove the 3.5mm from the iPhone and claim wireless is the future:
- widespread Bluetooth issues in iOS10
- w1 tech delayed

Remove magsafe from the MBP / stop bundling the better length charger and claim all-day battery use is the norm:
- inconsistent battery life

It's funny that the theoretical issues with their moves have manifested so drat quickly instead of just being something people whine about.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pivo posted:

Best hard case for 2015 rMBP? Anyone have suggestions? I don't need to turn it into a Toughbook, but my old 2011 had quite a few dents over the years, and my 2015 hard plastic shell from Monoprice (that they don't sell anymore) is cracking in places and has absorbed quite a lot of hard bumps, looking for something new.

Was thinking of this one: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00EXUG8D6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2Q9LYE86KCVXE&coliid=I2X2XOUI6M2P3O&psc=1

I keep going back and forth on whether to buy your 2012 MBP, but reading this post made me worried about its condition. :)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SourKraut posted:

I keep going back and forth on whether to buy your 2012 MBP, but reading this post made me worried about its condition. :)

Nah there's a story there. It's not my laptop. The 2011 was mine, it went through hell. I meticulously documented all the dents and scratches and sold it on eBay to someone who seems really happy with it, dents and all. I bought myself a 2015, but I spilled water on it. I bought another 2015 and insurance covered repairing the water damaged 2015. So I had two 2015s. My gf moved in with the 2012 and she was saving money for SSD + RAM so I just gave her the 2015 for free in exchange for the 2012, which was in perfect condition. I recently sold the 2012 for 800 CAD cash though.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
I was wondering why my laptop wasn't charging, only to find a small tear starting up on the charging cable. I want to say that I remember it being replaceable by apple as long as it seems like normal wear and tear and not "my animal destroyed it, etc" Obviously, everything's closed today with the holiday but is it worth going to a local Apple Store and seeing if they'd replace it? My only concern is I've got a 2012 Mac Pro model (the last one you could upgrade yourself) and I know that they've changed their chargers a couple of times now, so I was worried that it may not exist any longer.

I'm sure there may be some places that sell a charger online as well but I'd be a bit concerned with anything third-party (just since third-party charging cables and the like can be rather dangerous and get incredibly hot/catch on fire/what have you.) If there's a good alternative or if I've just been fed incorrect information, please do feel free to let me know. I'd rather go in with legit information than assume something incorrectly.

Thanks in advance, I really do appreciate any help you might be able to provide.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

When I've had fraying cables, Apple has replaced them for free even out of warranty 100% of the time. Since they did the MagSafe 1 that went back to being parallel to the case they've stopped fraying and I haven't had to get one replaced since, I heard it's a little harder these days.

I prefer to have at least 2 so you may as well buy one if you can find one and try to get Apple to replace the frayed one. As far I know MagSafe is patented so any third party one will be a Frankenstein creation. *shrug*

Apple does still sell the MagSafe 1 though. Make sure you get the 85W if you have a 15"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

No, depending on the Apple Store they'll be likely to have an 85W MagSafe adapter to replace your current one.

They went to MagSafe 2 after the 2012 models, and then USB-C for the current rMBPs, but last time I was at a retail store (a week ago?) they still had OG MagSafes in stock.

Apple considers MagSafe/MagSafe 2 to be proprietary so most third party adapters are either just reconditioned ones or really bad reverse engineered firetraps. If you want to save some money on them, you could try macsales.com where they're at least open about the condition of their used adapters.

Also do be aware that if they asked you for the serial number of your laptop the last few times you had it switched out, they could look up its service record and arbitrarily decide 'nope, switched out the adapter too many times' and leave you in the cold.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 25, 2016

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Pivo posted:

When I've had fraying cables, Apple has replaced them for free even out of warranty 100% of the time. Since they did the MagSafe 1 that went back to being parallel to the case they've stopped fraying and I haven't had to get one replaced since, I heard it's a little harder these days.

I prefer to have at least 2 so you may as well buy one if you can find one and try to get Apple to replace the frayed one. As far I know MagSafe is patented so any third party one will be a Frankenstein creation. *shrug*

Apple does still sell the MagSafe 1 though. Make sure you get the 85W if you have a 15"

Yeah, I think I ended up getting at least 2 old cables on my old Macbook but I believe this is the first one I've replaced for this laptop. If I can get one replaced for free and get one for later down the line, it'd be the best plan (just in case they do decide to forgo the older one eventually. I wonder if they still sell them online...

And my Pro's a 13-inch, so I'd still be looking at an 85W one as well, correct?

Binary Badger posted:

No, depending on the Apple Store they'll be likely to have an 85W MagSafe adapter to replace your current one.

They went to MagSafe 2 after the 2012 models, and then USB-C for the current rMBPs, but last time I was at a retail store (a week ago?) they still had OG MagSafes in stock.

Apple considers MagSafe/MagSafe 2 to be proprietary so most third party adapters are either just reconditioned ones or really bad reverse engineered firetraps. If you want to save some money on them, you could try macsales.com where they're at least open about the condition of their used adapters.

Also do be aware that if they asked you for the serial number of your laptop the last few times you had it switched out, they could look up its service record and arbitrarily decide 'nope, switched out the adapter too many times' and leave you in the cold.

Yeah, I'm prepared to try to get it replaced for free, and if not, it's not a terribly horrible cost. (Still one I'd prefer to avoid if possible however) I've not been to macsales.com but hopefully I can get it fixed for free (if possible) first. If not, it's good to have a secondary recommendation, because I was concerned about the quality of the third party adaptors to be very honest.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You need a 60W for the 2012 13", preferably with the L connector instead of the T connector (those fray too easily imo) but it wouldn't hurt to get an 85W, it negotiates.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I purchased a Zolt charger that's been great. Much smaller than the standard brick and I can swap cables to charge my work Dell with the same charger.

Unfortunately they never came out with an USB-c connector and it looks like they went out of business this month. :(

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
So my 2009 Macbook Pro is on its last leg I think. I've gone through 3 or 4 batteries, 3 hard drives, 3 chargers and I ugpraded the RAM to 8 gb last year because it was slowing down. My battery won't hold a charge anymore and will only stay on when the charger is connected and the DVD drive is dead. I'm pretty satisfied at how long it lasted considering I used it a heck of a lot.

I want another Macbook but I'm looking at refurbished ones. I've never really bought a refurbished product but Apple products are so expensive, I'm considering it. Does anyone have any experience from getting them from the apple store? Is there a better site to get refurbs from? Have you ever had any problems etc.?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apple refurbs are every bit as good as their retail products. You can buy one with absolute confidence you will receive a machine that looks and behaves like a brand new computer.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What would be a good monitor/dock setup for a Early 2015 MacBook Air?

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Pivo posted:

You need a 60W for the 2012 13", preferably with the L connector instead of the T connector (those fray too easily imo) but it wouldn't hurt to get an 85W, it negotiates.

Awesome, glad to hear it. (Though I don't know if I've ever had anything besides the L connect, I think?) Gonna try to brave the crowds tomorrow and see if I can get it replaced if possible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Housh posted:

What would be a good monitor/dock setup for a Early 2015 MacBook Air?

Used Thunderbolt Display.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Seiyal posted:

Awesome, glad to hear it. (Though I don't know if I've ever had anything besides the L connect, I think?) Gonna try to brave the crowds tomorrow and see if I can get it replaced if possible.

You might need to make a genius bar appointment if you want a chance at a free replacement. I'm not sure though.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Used Thunderbolt Display.
I'll look for one but do I need a dongle to connect a 2015 macbook air to a displayport on dell ultra sharp?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Housh posted:

I'll look for one but do I need a dongle to connect a 2015 macbook air to a displayport on dell ultra sharp?

Just a miniDP to display port cable or adapter

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Just a miniDP to display port cable or adapter
And then would it work fine with a bluetooth kb/m? Get simple sturdy cradle and you just plug in the mag safe and the mDP cable? Is there any catch for it not being a thunderbolt display? It's for my sister's home office she just deals with docs and spreads.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thunderbolt Display is a dock. Charging, USB, Ethernet, etc. anything else is just an external monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Any recommendations for a thin-as-possible neoprene-ish case for 13" and 15" rMBPs?