Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Gold has been a medium of exchange for thousands of years, through good times and bad. I can't see it becoming worthless in the event of Apocalypse 20__.

I'd still rather have food, bullets, and booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Subjunctive posted:

What's a "red candle"?

It's a satanic thing I think. Goats, red candles, pentagrams, etc.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

MrKatharsis posted:

The whole "is 100k rich" debate requires a distinction between "rich" and "bourgeois." It's easy:

Herr Trump is rich.

People making 100k in Silicon Valley are bougie AF.

decide the lower limit of "rich" and put everyone over the cutoff against the wall, or we can work our way down from the top. I think either approach has a lot going for it. The best option is probably somewhere in the middle.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

:siren: Nominations for the 2016 Golden Wonderhangers are live! :siren:

BWM thread was on page 477 on 1/1/16 btw for those of you planning on submitting.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hi yes I would like to nominate derail bird as best bird but you don't have a best bird category please fix this thanks

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ate all the Oreos posted:

Hi yes I would like to nominate derail bird as best bird but you don't have a best bird category please fix this thanks

lifetime achievement award

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Subjunctive posted:

What's a "red candle"?

Dog penis

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
What category would Just Wait Till We're Diamond fall under? It's not a redditor or else I'd nominate it for that.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

Where does a house keeper for a few hours every other week fit in the equation. :sweatdrop:

You will be eaten last.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Haifisch posted:

What category would Just Wait Till We're Diamond fall under? It's not a redditor or else I'd nominate it for that.

Paybuddy Award

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

You will be eaten last.

Hopefully by then I won't be so well marbled.

Live discussion with my wife thinking about our baby's first birthday at 7.5 months old: "I guess if you're already putting things in the amazon wish list for decorations we should discuss a budget." "YOU WOULD THINK WRONG."

See you guys later in the thread.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

MrKatharsis posted:

The whole "is 100k rich" debate requires a distinction between "rich" and "bourgeois." It's easy:

Herr Trump is rich.

People making 100k in Silicon Valley are bougie AF.

I agree with this. For me, 'wealthy' is "can you afford to stop working without significantly affecting your lifestyle?" If so, you are rich, no matter where you are in the world. I consider 'rich' to mean "no longer has to make budget a consideration when purchasing anything other than large/capital investments (houses, businesses, yachts, etc) - if you don't need to look at the price tag when shopping, you're rich. You can be one and not the other. Most professional athletes and famous musicians are rich but not wealthy - the minute their income stops from working, their wealth cannot passively provide for their lifestyle. I consider people making a lot of money like doctors/lawyers/etc "high earners" or "very well off," and I guess you could call them 'bougie' even if that isn't the original meaning of the word, but for the most part these technocratic/white collar yuppies aren't wealthy/rich. I think it's pretty possible to make well north of 100k and still have to worry about money, and still be in a situation where your investments cannot support a reasonable facsimile of your previous lifestyle.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

TheQuietWilds posted:

I agree with this. For me, 'wealthy' is "can you afford to stop working without significantly affecting your lifestyle?" If so, you are rich, no matter where you are in the world. I consider 'rich' to mean "no longer has to make budget a consideration when purchasing anything other than large/capital investments (houses, businesses, yachts, etc) - if you don't need to look at the price tag when shopping, you're rich. You can be one and not the other. Most professional athletes and famous musicians are rich but not wealthy - the minute their income stops from working, their wealth cannot passively provide for their lifestyle. I consider people making a lot of money like doctors/lawyers/etc "high earners" or "very well off," and I guess you could call them 'bougie' even if that isn't the original meaning of the word, but for the most part these technocratic/white collar yuppies aren't wealthy/rich. I think it's pretty possible to make well north of 100k and still have to worry about money, and still be in a situation where your investments cannot support a reasonable facsimile of your previous lifestyle.

These semantics arguments are tiresome and not how language works. Words already mean things.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There's something about the holidays where everyone starts talking/posting all loving stupid. Like bizarre rambling semantics arguments where every statement isn't really true but seems kind of like folksy wisdom at surface level. I think being around stupid old relatives this time of year just sinks in a little bit, everyone seems affected.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rich
riCH/
adjective
1. having a great deal of money or assets; wealthy.

If you judge rich/poor solely based on income without any consideration for location/cost of living/expenses then you're an idiot

H110Hawk posted:

See you guys later in the thread.
Im truley sorry for your lots. goonspeed

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 24, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

There's something about the holidays where everyone starts talking/posting all loving stupid. Like bizarre rambling semantics arguments where every statement isn't really true but seems kind of like folksy wisdom at surface level. I think being around stupid old relatives this time of year just sinks in a little bit, everyone seems affected.

It's called alcohol and it's how you deal with relatives.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I just need to post so I can get a link to my own posts in the thread so I can find people I've quoted to nominate for the GWs.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Blinky2099 posted:

rich
riCH/
adjective
1. having a great deal of money or assets; wealthy.

If you judge rich/poor solely based on income without any consideration for location/cost of living/expenses then you're an idiot

Im truley sorry for your lots. goonspeed

Sorry, but having the ability to live in a city like San Francisco, even if you're not driving a Ferrari, counts for something.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

TheQuietWilds posted:

This conversation was awful on page 712 and it's still awful on page 715. We have flown by some great topics in the past week why is THIS dumb one getting so much air time? This isn't the thread for endless pages of MY OPINION.

Content- any bad Christmas presents to share? I bought my husband a bitcoin. It's a retarded 'investment' (not an investment) but he's been talking about it for like 2 years and I'm sick of having this conversation and the value in that time has gone up Up UP so now he is "right". The first year I was resolute that it was idiotic; the second year I said "ok fine, open a wallet and put a couple hundred bucks in bitcoin." Then he's had a bizarre obsession with owning ONE bitcoin, saying things like "it's too late we can't buy one now they're too expensive" and I explain you don't have to buy in denominations of one but he ultimately never tried to set up a wallet (just talked about the price every few weeks).

Sometimes it's BWM to be GWM(arriage), maybe this is simply the cost to get him involved in our finances.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

After months of me making fun of Bitcoin my husband sold the stock or whatever he had in BTC and made like $250 so I stopped making fun of him. Our marriage is built on mockery and spite which is exactly how I like it.

I don't get Christmas. I'm not a children, so I buy my own toys. I get the whole concept of giving gifts, I just don't understand the idea of someone buying me something I could buy for myself. I want people to make me something or spend time with me. I hope someday before I die or am completely senile and/or totally alone, someone gives me the greatest gift of all and actually listens when I ask to please not exchange gifts this year. My dad died this October and the ask didn't fuckin work this year so I guess I can try again when my mom dies and see if anyone listens then.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

No, I really love getting stockings filled with absolutely useless poo poo. Thanks for the pen on a retracting lanyard. :thumbsup:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I thought my loved ones listened this year about no gifts (I buy for their kids only) and then I saw they ordered me a bunch of shampoo and cleaning supplies on Amazon since my filthy teenager is stinking up my house.

Might actually be the best Christmas gifts I've ever received. So practical, so thoughtful, it's perfect.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Christmas gifts are incredibly inefficient. Everyone spends somewhat similar amounts of money buying stuff that's often either just slightly not quite what they'd buy themselves or bought at a much higher price than they'd pay. I'd much rather have everyone give me a check for what their budget was for me the week before thanksgiving so I can spend it all during holiday sales. Hell, I essentially bought half the stuff that I was on my wishlist because I got it much cheaper in the last month.

The only people benefiting from Christmas are children and retailers of lovely products that people's distant relatives think they'll like.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Switchback posted:

Content- any bad Christmas presents to share? I bought my husband a bitcoin. It's a retarded 'investment' (not an investment)
Not Christmas but I deposited $1k into bitcoin to transfer it to a poker site to avoid hefty credit card fees, but I never really got around to transferring into poker the past few weeks so it's just been sitting there growing a lot by accident. Best investment I accidentally made

Christmas gifts are awful, especially physical useless crap items. Food is ok, clothes are ok, experiences own but are expensive. I bought a few family members a helicopter ride for $400, bad with money/expensive but it'll be cool and they'll probably remember it forever so whatever

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Blinky2099 posted:

It'll be cool and they'll probably remember it forever so whatever

They probably will. I flew a helicopter a few weeks ago and despite having to cut it short so we could land for me to barf on the tarmac, I'm considering pursuing a pilot's license which is VBWM. It was great.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Christmas gifts are good if they're homemade and/or consumable. Maybe a gift card if you're desperate. Everything else is poo poo I could buy myself, expensive enough that I wouldn't ask someone else to buy it for me, or poo poo I don't want & that'll take up space until I can get away with donating it.

On the other hand, if you reach the point where you're contemplating giving gift cards & food to each other, it gets a bit too on the nose about what's really happening with gifts. :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Switchback posted:

Content- any bad Christmas presents to share? I bought my husband a bitcoin. It's a retarded 'investment' (not an investment) but he's been talking about it for like 2 years and I'm sick of having this conversation and the value in that time has gone up Up UP so now he is "right". The first year I was resolute that it was idiotic; the second year I said "ok fine, open a wallet and put a couple hundred bucks in bitcoin." Then he's had a bizarre obsession with owning ONE bitcoin, saying things like "it's too late we can't buy one now they're too expensive" and I explain you don't have to buy in denominations of one but he ultimately never tried to set up a wallet (just talked about the price every few weeks).

Sometimes it's BWM to be GWM(arriage), maybe this is simply the cost to get him involved in our finances.

Your husband is an idiot, :sever: before he converts your 401k into bitcoins

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

ate all the Oreos posted:

Your husband is an idiot, :sever: before he converts your 401k into bitcoins

Lol @ him knowing what a 401k is.

My in-laws are big on showing their love through gifts, so every time I see them I get some trinket or scarf or sarong or handbag or something. Great, now I have another thing I didn't want that I now have to either dispose of or keep and eventually move. I'm more a "show love by doing" person but that's a hard gift when you live apart.

I am actually really excited about Christmas this year, we got them concert tickets with a night at a vineyard hotel (so they don't have to drive home) to see James Taylor. But on our side, we will see how much extra baggage I have to buy for our return flight...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We have kids so Christmas is a thing for them. We also made an agreement with most of the family to not do gifts between adults because we're traveling and its pain, so that's good.

We get our kids to make things for family, I always hope people aren't bothered by crude kid paintings and know they can ditch them and we won't care.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Here's a personal BWM story.

I have Lego Batman equity. A few times a year, Lego releases series of collectible minifigures that come packaged blind bag style, so you can't tell what you're getting unless you spend a while feeling the bags. They recently released a Lego Batman movie series and I wanted all of the figures. I also didn't want to spend an hour in Target feeling bags in the toy aisle so I bought every one they had.

I now have about 140 tied up in the toys that I can return within a 90 day period but I'm waiting for the movie to release to see if they shoot up in price at which point they're all going on eBay.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Cloks posted:

Here's a personal BWM story.

I have Lego Batman equity. A few times a year, Lego releases series of collectible minifigures that come packaged blind bag style, so you can't tell what you're getting unless you spend a while feeling the bags. They recently released a Lego Batman movie series and I wanted all of the figures. I also didn't want to spend an hour in Target feeling bags in the toy aisle so I bought every one they had.

I now have about 140 tied up in the toys that I can return within a 90 day period but I'm waiting for the movie to release to see if they shoot up in price at which point they're all going on eBay.

Go to the Lego thread and sell them to a goon. There will be someone who wants the set without the work.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Merry Christmas, and Happy Other-holidays-that-just-happen-to-occur-around-the-same-time-as-Christmas!

EDIT: bonus reddit post

quote:

Am I being unrealistic?

I am new to passive income so I'm not really sure what the most practical way to go about doing this would be, but I make $88K a year. bills are $14K a year. I would like to set a goal to make $2400 a month in passive income by July. Is this too aggressive of a goal?

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 25, 2016

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

There was a thread on a prepper board that circulated about a decade ago about a middle class Argentinian (?) living thru a currency devaluation and economic crisis. Apparently swap markets and money changers only paid scrap gold prices for ingots etc so you were better off buying sacks of chains and rings etc instead of 99.9999% Mint proof sets.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

PCjr sidecar posted:

There was a thread on a prepper board that circulated about a decade ago about a middle class Argentinian (?) living thru a currency devaluation and economic crisis. Apparently swap markets and money changers only paid scrap gold prices for ingots etc so you were better off buying sacks of chains and rings etc instead of 99.9999% Mint proof sets.

That was probably FerFAL.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Christmas is awful and bad with money and I buy everything I want for myself and :jerkbag: and if my friends truly knew me they would know I am a pleasure to hang out with while I bitterly open their presents.

Speaking of BWM christmas gifts I forced a GC to these fine forums upon a "friend."

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Christmas is awful and bad with money and I buy everything I want for myself and :jerkbag: and if my friends truly knew me they would know I am a pleasure to hang out with while I bitterly open their presents.

Speaking of BWM christmas gifts I forced a GC to these fine forums upon a "friend."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Looks like Planet Money wss wrong; homo economicus do exist, and they post on these forums. Lol at bitching about giving receiving gifts, a very old and important social bonding behavior, because it is not a perfectly efficient use of money and resources. There is a lot more going on than exchange of trinkets.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I only gift my relatives IOU coupons for Roth IRA contributions the next tax year and sensible shoes every 7-10 years

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
My uncle has good gift giving/receiving advice: "If I can't eat it, drink it, or smoke it, I don't want it."

I have subscribed to his plan and received zero complaints so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

MrKatharsis posted:

My uncle has good gift giving/receiving advice: "If I can't eat it, drink it, or smoke it, I don't want it."

I have subscribed to his plan and received zero complaints so far.

The great thing about consumable gifts is that you have a pre-made gift for next year.

• Locked thread