Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Seconding the wow, and yeah I'd love to see more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Twobirds posted:

Found this in Skellige, appropriately.

This is really cool

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Third play through now, this time in Polish with English subs. The monologue that Geralt gives whoreson Jr. is WAY more threatening than the English version. Anyone else play with Polish subs?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently there's a few:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I got as far as Novigrad on PS4 a year ago, now playing GOTY on PC and enjoying the QoL mods, prettyiness, and better load times. And the Gourmet perk.

And WTF how did I miss this pig temple quest my first time through the game???
Now I have to find that other quest I did ages ago with the satyr guy pretending to be a god. Don't remember the name of it.

One of the patches scaled Contract payments up, right? I remember when I first played you'd barely get like 30g from a low-level hunt, now it's up to 300 on average.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The pig temple was one of the free DLC quests.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

bewilderment posted:

I got as far as Novigrad on PS4 a year ago, now playing GOTY on PC and enjoying the QoL mods, prettyiness, and better load times. And the Gourmet perk.

And WTF how did I miss this pig temple quest my first time through the game???
Now I have to find that other quest I did ages ago with the satyr guy pretending to be a god. Don't remember the name of it.

One of the patches scaled Contract payments up, right? I remember when I first played you'd barely get like 30g from a low-level hunt, now it's up to 300 on average.

Satyr guy is just a bit east of crow's perch and south of Lindenvale, I'm pretty sure.
Bunch of ruined brick buildings.

e:Nope, I was wrong. Between Midcopse and Oreton.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 23, 2016

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I am the Goatman 🐐

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Commie NedFlanders posted:

I am the Goatman 🐐

You monster!

Also is that a cell phone pick of your TV?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Twobirds posted:

Found this in Skellige, appropriately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_figure

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Finally getting round to finishing the main quest and I'm at the part in the Sunstone quest where you need to talk to Fishlung. I sailed out to the peninsula where his marker is, found his boat and found a body (with 12 orens on it) next to a chest that completed another quest called Pearls of the Sea or something to that effect, but I can't find the guy I'm supposed to be looking for. I've swum around trying to find him with my witcher senses up and tried waiting to various times of day but no luck.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Hexenritter posted:

Finally getting round to finishing the main quest and I'm at the part in the Sunstone quest where you need to talk to Fishlung. I sailed out to the peninsula where his marker is, found his boat and found a body (with 12 orens on it) next to a chest that completed another quest called Pearls of the Sea or something to that effect, but I can't find the guy I'm supposed to be looking for. I've swum around trying to find him with my witcher senses up and tried waiting to various times of day but no luck.

Just talk to the skald instead if you can't fix it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

That's why it's so cool and why there might be more...

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Just talk to the skald instead if you can't fix it.

apparently I missed an underwater cave, it's all good now. The light quality underwater at the times of day I was diving made it difficult to see.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
The Crookback Bog soundtrack is so fuckin' unsettling, even post-game when it's completely empty..

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I AM BRAWW posted:

The Crookback Bog soundtrack is so fuckin' unsettling, even post-game when it's completely empty..

I'm really big on the whole soundtrack. The environmental audio is fantastic too.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
This has probably been asked a bunch but I'm playing on Xbox one and I've got the glitch where the chest to do the wolf gear quest won't open. I guess I installed the dlc too late. I'm out of luck right? Only way to get it would be to start a new game?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Have you got the crystal from outside and opened the portal? I just read a reddit post saying that sometimes fixes the chest.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Crystal isn't there either.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Reinstall the dlc? :shrug:

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Holy poo poo, the in-combat music is really good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

guns for tits posted:

Holy poo poo, the music is really good.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

"meh not gonna bother killing this random drowner"

LELELELELELELELELELELELELE

*Geralt hulks up from 18 potions and murders 20% of the drowner population in Velen*

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Hexenritter posted:

I'm really big on the whole soundtrack. The environmental audio is fantastic too.

The only video game soundtrack AND non-rap I have saved on Spotify..

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The skellige and hearts of stone music tracks are even better than velen. The novigrad music also feels like it comes straight out of the guy Ritchie sherlock Holmes films

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 24, 2016

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I wish this game wasn't so dull so I could actually get through it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

I AM BRAWW posted:

Get the other two games, as well. Witcher 1's soundtrack is beautiful.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

this implies you have a lot of video game soundtrack rap saved on spotify

buck bumble theme song is pretty good I agree

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I just got this as a gift, I've never played the first two. What do I need to know?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Geralt lost his memory once and banged his lover's best friend. Half the northern monarchs were assassinated by a fellow Witcher named Letho who has a history with Geralt, and the fantasy Holy Roman Empire has invaded the north in the wake of the power vacuum.

Geralt has an adopted daughter whom he hasn't seen in years, and she is pursued by a force called the Wild Hunt, elves from a parallel world who materialize in the Witcher world as spectral riders ahead of a wave of frost.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 25, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Geralt lost his memory once and banged his lover's best friend.

Isn't that the best excuse to bang your lover's best friend, though?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

I played my Geralt as a romantic but slutty fellow.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

enraged_camel posted:

Have you even met Yennifer???

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Honestly you don't really need to know anything. Knowing stuff just gives you context for some moments in the game. I played this as my first Witcher game and absolutely love it. The gameplay is solid, it's actually pretty varied for an open world game and the writing and music are fantastic.

And when starting a new game, if you choose "Simulate a Witcher 2 save" you get an interview early on in the game when you first visit a notable castle (the plot forces you there to see the Emperor). It came off (to me at least) as a quiz of what happened and somehow I thought it would affect something if I got the answers "wrong." It's actually you writing Geralt's backstory of what would have happened in Witcher 2 had you played it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
That said, you're seriously missing out if you don't play the first two, or at least the second one. Witcher 2 is a REALLY loving good game, especially with the Combat Rebalance mod that CDPR put out themselves to basically make the combat work very similarly to how it does in Witcher 3.

Witcher 1 is very much a game of its time in terms of engine limitations because it was on a really crazily modified NWN1 engine. It's a lot more RPG-y in that sense and the combat is more about the dice and using the correct fighting stance/oils/potions to get the job done. In some ways it's actually great, simply because a lot of the fights were punishingly hard but if you actually did the research on what you were hunting and then prepared well for the fight (aka what being a Witcher is all about) you could just smash monsters' faces in. Very different feel compared to 2 and 3 where you can basically just put points in Quen and then roll a lot and you can beat basically any fight in the game.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 25, 2016

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The plot in Witcher 1 is somewhat uninspired. And the swamp, oh god the swamp. I still persevered and finished it but the second game was waaaay better. Also W1 seems to have borrowed the Quake 2 palette. It's like Velen 24/7.

I actually kind of wish I'd been able to read all of the books before I started playing the games. I think I would've appreciated the games more that way, but I hadn't even heard of Sapkowski when I started playing W1, not to mention that they weren't translated.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 25, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Fuzz posted:

Get the other two games, as well. Witcher 1's soundtrack is beautiful.

The elven theme that's one of the last tracks in Witcher 2's soundtrack is one of my favourites. I can't remember if the lyrics are actually elvish but whether they are or not, it's a haunting piece.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I just got this as a gift, I've never played the first two. What do I need to know?

Geralt is best dad.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ugato posted:

Honestly you don't really need to know anything. Knowing stuff just gives you context for some moments in the game. I played this as my first Witcher game and absolutely love it. The gameplay is solid, it's actually pretty varied for an open world game and the writing and music are fantastic.

And when starting a new game, if you choose "Simulate a Witcher 2 save" you get an interview early on in the game when you first visit a notable castle (the plot forces you there to see the Emperor). It came off (to me at least) as a quiz of what happened and somehow I thought it would affect something if I got the answers "wrong." It's actually you writing Geralt's backstory of what would have happened in Witcher 2 had you played it.

I think the only one that actually affects anything is whether Letho is alive or dead. Say he's alive for an extra quest. Oh, and I think one other quest is easier if you say you spared La Valette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
The one about Síle also gets you like one extra scene.