Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It's kinda bullshit that killing or sparing Henselt and the final choice from 2 had almost no effect on the actual story... I figured at the last the status of Foltest's bastard daughter would factor in. I also was hoping to see Iorveth referred to in some capacity but oh well.

Finding the note from Alvin was pretty great, however. Having Roche say he didn't trust me when I I'm using my total brofest Witcher 2 save... not so great. :qq:

(NOTE: still in my first playthrough... Currently doing the play shenanigans)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Iorveth is mentioned by a squirrel unit near oxenfurt as being almost surely dead.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Wasn't there a witcher comic that came out with/around launch about Iorveth and Saskia?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Iorveth is mentioned by a squirrel unit near oxenfurt as being almost surely dead.

That's probably the unit I killed because they wanted to take my weapons. Oh I also like Roche's line when you ask him about the scoi'atel and he goes "who gives a gently caress about them any more?"

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

2house2fly posted:

That's probably the unit I killed because they wanted to take my weapons. Oh I also like Roche's line when you ask him about the scoi'atel and he goes "who gives a gently caress about them any more?"

That was awesome, hah

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

That feeling you get when you get back into the Witcher because you need to get started with Blood and Wine, and fire up an endgame save so you can get the post-romance dialogue, only to realise a few hours in that you picked the save where you romanced Triss. :sad:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Wait Triss is an actual romance option?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Fuzz posted:

That said, you're seriously missing out if you don't play the first two, or at least the second one. Witcher 2 is a REALLY loving good game, especially with the Combat Rebalance mod that CDPR put out themselves to basically make the combat work very similarly to how it does in Witcher 3.

Witcher 1 is very much a game of its time in terms of engine limitations because it was on a really crazily modified NWN1 engine. It's a lot more RPG-y in that sense and the combat is more about the dice and using the correct fighting stance/oils/potions to get the job done. In some ways it's actually great, simply because a lot of the fights were punishingly hard but if you actually did the research on what you were hunting and then prepared well for the fight (aka what being a Witcher is all about) you could just smash monsters' faces in. Very different feel compared to 2 and 3 where you can basically just put points in Quen and then roll a lot and you can beat basically any fight in the game.

I'll probably end up watching an LP of 1, I think I bought 2 during a steam sale at some point, so I'll install that combat mod and play it first. Appreciate the advice.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I'll probably end up watching an LP of 1, I think I bought 2 during a steam sale at some point, so I'll install that combat mod and play it first. Appreciate the advice.

2 splits off into two distinct storylines early on. Make sure you go with Roche if you want to know what the gently caress is actually happening.

Neither has much bearing on 3, but 2 makes a helluva lot more sense.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I need to do a run where I pick Yen. Yen wasn't appealing to me until I did the Djinn quest with her, and by that point it was too late. I still like Triss and think the Triss path is well written, but I do want to see the Yen path too.

Course, Geralt always hooks up with Shani in HoS cause hoes gonna hoe.

Geralt is the hoe, of course.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I wouldn't say that. The entire backdrop of 3 is laid by the last act of 2, particularly Radovid and the vibe of Nilfgard. Without that backdrop, I'd probably make very different decisions in 3 about who to dude with and whatnot without knowing the history.

One thing they really dropped the ball on was not bringing in more book backstory in 1 and 2, because they drop a SHITLOAD of it in 3. Geralt's entire relationship with Yennefer (and how hosed up and toxic it is) and his relationship with Ciri are basically total mysteries coming into 3 if you know nothing of the books and only the 2 previous games, even moreso if this is your first Witcher game. Dijkstra and Keira, as well as Lambert and Eskel, are likewise mostly new ground in the games (the Witchers had almost zero narrative in 1 and didn't show up at all in 2) and heavily lean on past poo poo from the books. Philipa at least has context if you played the Iorveth path in 2 and thus know how much of a lovely bitch she is.

Triss has the most development by far over the course of the game series, which is why I don't get all the knocking on her as a possible romance option in 3 but I'm not that far into the story yet so I imagine something will happen to :yikes: her. Then again if you read the books the Triss from the video games seems downright nice and lovable by comparison.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Does Geralt have a single relationship with a woman that isn't hosed up and toxic?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

2 splits off into two distinct storylines early on. Make sure you go with Roche if you want to know what the gently caress is actually happening.

I could swear I remember getting more information with Iorveth, but I can't remember exactly what I got from each.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dr Cheeto posted:

Does Geralt have a single relationship with a woman that isn't hosed up and toxic?

Shani. But she dumps him in favor of her career

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Both of this games romances end well :3:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Dr Cheeto posted:

Roach. B&W all but confirms it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been reading the World of the Witcher art book, and I approve of it being written either by dandelion or the people he interviews. Plus the concept art is gorgeous.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sorry

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Delacroix posted:

Roach. B&W all but confirms it.

Roach isn't one horse though. He always rides a mare and names it Roach. So that's equivalent to him nicknaming all his girlfriends "yen."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Roach is the ultimate sorceress. And can teleport. :colbert:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Technically you can get a stallion Roach, but for some reason Geralt prefers mares indeed. Girlfriend when he's broken up with Yen again?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

GuyUpNorth posted:

Technically you can get a stallion Roach, but for some reason Geralt prefers mares indeed. Girlfriend when he's broken up with Yen again?

Nah, he's no need to resort to the Scottish Solution. He's sterile and immune to disease, he can afford to have rock standards on the rebound, hah

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
If I just returned to Kaer Morhen (sp?) and changed uma back into an elf, how far am I in the main story?

I've restarted this game a handful of times, never getting much further than the Bloody Baron before I got distracted by something else, but I'm in it until the end at this point, including both DLCs, which I haven't seen yet.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Scott Forstall posted:

If I just returned to Kaer Morhen (sp?) and changed uma back into an elf, how far am I in the main story?

I've restarted this game a handful of times, never getting much further than the Bloody Baron before I got distracted by something else, but I'm in it until the end at this point, including both DLCs, which I haven't seen yet.

I don't know percentage-wise, but you have quite a while to go still.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Main game I'd say you have 30% or less of the game remaining. But the DLCs add quite a chunk on top of it. It's probably something like 40 hours left at least?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Great. I'm level 24 playing main story quests that recommend level 19, so I'm taking my time.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Man, I really do wish they were planning on another Witcher game, or at least some more DLCs. There's a bunch of countries up north that haven't been explored so far.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rygar201 posted:

Nah, he's no need to resort to the Scottish Solution. He's sterile and immune to disease, he can afford to have rock standards on the rebound, hah

It's kind of remarkable how compelling the Witcher series' plot and setting are considering that witchers are basically a juvenile male power fantasy and sorcerers are basically the same except mostly female.

Witcher 3 also has some weird schizophrenic shifts between Geralt the merciful (mainly towards monsters) and Geralt the vengeful slayer of random bandits, deserters and pitchfork-wielding peasants. You can easily get a human kill count in the hundreds, which isn't really supposed to be Geralt's style. Toussaint's hansas are particularly strange. Then there's the slightly self-aware encounter in Toussaint where a couple of hopeless chumps attack Geralt and he asks himself why people still suicidally attack fully-armed witchers,

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Man, I really do wish they were planning on another Witcher game, or at least some more DLCs. There's a bunch of countries up north that haven't been explored so far.

gently caress that, I wanna go to Zerrikania and kill weird as gently caress monsters!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

This is still a possibility. CD projekt has said that witcher 3 is the end of geralt's story, but they haven't said there will be no more witcher from them in the future

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Killing bandits and deserters is self-defense, they attack the player first. I do kind of wish you could intimidate people into running away, or use your fists. I tried to do that in that encounter at the start of the game when a bunch of people attack you in a bar; I kept trying to sheathe my sword and beat them up because I didn't want to mercilessly slay people. Turns out you can only do it in the odd scripted encounter (and in those encounters you can't use your swords) but at least that's something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eskel and Lambert star in: The Rock Trolls of Zerrikania.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

chaosapiant posted:

Roach isn't one horse though. He always rides a mare and names it Roach. So that's equivalent to him nicknaming all his girlfriends "yen."

Way to miss Roach's part in Equine Phantoms, friend.

2house2fly posted:

Killing bandits and deserters is self-defense, they attack the player first. I do kind of wish you could intimidate people into running away, or use your fists. I tried to do that in that encounter at the start of the game when a bunch of people attack you in a bar; I kept trying to sheathe my sword and beat them up because I didn't want to mercilessly slay people. Turns out you can only do it in the odd scripted encounter (and in those encounters you can't use your swords) but at least that's something.

There are so many occasions where Geralt could just throw down yrden and move on but it would do nothing to change the universal constant that everyone Geralt isn't already acquainted with are obstinate jerks.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Delacroix posted:

Way to miss Roach's part in Equine Phantoms, friend.

There are so many occasions where Geralt could just throw down yrden and move on but it would do nothing to change the universal constant that everyone Geralt isn't already acquainted with are obstinate jerks.

The killing of bandits has been validated in the Killing Monsters trailer anyway :colbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The "just came out that way" trailer

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Digirat posted:

This is still a possibility. CD projekt has said that witcher 3 is the end of geralt's story, but they haven't said there will be no more witcher from them in the future

Clearly the next game will be about Ciri.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

2house2fly posted:

I kept trying to sheathe my sword and beat them up because I didn't want to mercilessly slay people. Turns out you can only do it in the odd scripted encounter (and in those encounters you can't use your swords) but at least that's something.
Really? In my experience, there is nothing Geralt loves more than to sheathe his swords and invite a monster to fair fist-a-cuffs in mid-combat. Or do you mean "the game only acknowledges you punching someone's lights out on rare occasions"?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

In White Orchard you can save a Nilfgardian deserter from a lynch mob. The guy goes to thank Geralt, and says "If you hadn't come by..." and Geralt cuts him off with "There would only be one dead man instead of three."

I could have dealt with a little more of that personally

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 26, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Really? In my experience, there is nothing Geralt loves more than to sheathe his swords and invite a monster to fair fist-a-cuffs in mid-combat. Or do you mean "the game only acknowledges you punching someone's lights out on rare occasions"?

Oh yeah, I forgot that I've accidentally sheathed my weapons while fighting monsters a bunch of times. Weird because in the White Orchard fight I'm sure Geralt kept redrawing the sword when I put it away. I guess I would say: the game only allows me to both want to fight with my fists, and do so, in an attempt to win a fight non-lethally, on rare occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rygar201 posted:

In White Orchard you can save a Nilfgardian deserter from a lynch mob. The guy goes to thank Geralt, and says "If you hadn't come by..." and Geralt cuts him off with "There would only be one dead man instead of three."

I could have dealt with a little more of that personally

When does that happen?