Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I just thought people would want a knife they could leave hanging half off the edge of their counter without worrying it would fall over from the weight of a full sized handle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Btw is it me or has every German knife maker switched to 15 degree edges now

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
646 backers pledged $102,128 to help bring this project to life.

Why the gently caress do i even work instead of finding cool scams to do :sigh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Do you have morals and the ability to feel shame? There's your problem.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Wood knife will be super cool and worth the money when you've sharpened it down to the wood after your first three years of constant use.

Tiny handle knife will be super cool when you're

Umm

Uhh...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I just thought people would want a knife they could leave hanging half off the edge of their counter without worrying it would fall over from the weight of a full sized handle
That's up there with the claims of ~*super antimicrobial wood*~ on the wooden knife. Someone ought to kickstart a kitchen knife with a tip that's ground flat so you can use it as a screwdriver for a hat trick of knives that are technically capable of doing stupid poo poo you shouldn't care about in the first place and should never do even if you theoretically can.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
a laser made atom/molecule thin blade is the obvious end result even if its impossible

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SubG posted:

That's up there with the claims of ~*super antimicrobial wood*~ on the wooden knife. Someone ought to kickstart a kitchen knife with a tip that's ground flat so you can use it as a screwdriver for a hat trick of knives that are technically capable of doing stupid poo poo you shouldn't care about in the first place and should never do even if you theoretically can.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/risa10chkn.html

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Nah, that kinda makes sense, if you're willing to imagine a class of people that can't be trusted with a pointy chef's knife that can be trusted with sharp things at all. Which I'm not, but whatever.

Needs a can opener in the heel. Hey, this thing just won't open, just need to lean on it a little more....

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SubG posted:

Nah, that kinda makes sense, if you're willing to imagine a class of people that can't be trusted with a pointy chef's knife that can be trusted with sharp things at all. Which I'm not, but whatever.

Needs a can opener in the heel. Hey, this thing just won't open, just need to lean on it a little more....

I could see it for prisons, mental health care centers, etc. Really anywhere where you want to make sure that if someone gets ahold of a knife that it's not as dangerous as a normal, tipped knife. While the edge can still obviously inflict injury the tip is far more dangerous since it can penetrate deeply and inflict damage on internal organs much more easily.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002W5VXV6/?tag=ataofhoco-20

Not a can opener, but how about a garlic crusher, so that you can risk stabbing yourself in the face every time you crush garlic

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Perfect for prisons and pretty cheap, so still more useful than a very expensive knife that is slightly less likely to fall off the counter if you're a total klutz.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
The really dumb thing about stubby handle knife is that you can get the same result just by making the handle lighter, you know, like the bog standard Japanese handle. J-knives are all balanced around a pinch grip and have been for centuries.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I would not want to get stabbed by that safety knife

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Perfect for prisons and pretty cheap, so still more useful than a very expensive knife that is slightly less likely to fall off the counter if you're a total klutz.

The stubby knife version can be sold as the shank

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I could see it for prisons, mental health care centers, etc. Really anywhere where you want to make sure that if someone gets ahold of a knife that it's not as dangerous as a normal, tipped knife. While the edge can still obviously inflict injury the tip is far more dangerous since it can penetrate deeply and inflict damage on internal organs much more easily.
Yeah, that's the theory but I'm kinda of the opinion that if you're worried about stabbing you should be worried about cutting as well. In corrections institutions the real safety feature is a through-the-tang tether, so anyone more than a foot and a half (or whatever) from the prep station is safe regardless of what the trustee decides to do with the thing. But whatever.

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002W5VXV6/?tag=ataofhoco-20

Not a can opener, but how about a garlic crusher, so that you can risk stabbing yourself in the face every time you crush garlic

As soon as I saw the handle I thought to myself poo poo I bet that's a Guy Fieri signature thing.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Saw this and was reminded of the wooden knife.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

SubG posted:

Yeah, that's the theory but I'm kinda of the opinion that if you're worried about stabbing you should be worried about cutting as well. In corrections institutions the real safety feature is a through-the-tang tether, so anyone more than a foot and a half (or whatever) from the prep station is safe regardless of what the trustee decides to do with the thing. But whatever.

As a high school teacher I could see this used in some high schools too. And I can imagine multiple places where the tether could be deemed useful.

It seems they sell it more as a "poo poo knife" you'll use to break away bones or to practice sharpening though.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
What would you guys recommend for a 210-240 Chef's knife in the $150-200 range? Not sure what the chances are of getting them before the weekend using Next Day Air but ...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Random Hero posted:

What would you guys recommend for a 210-240 Chef's knife in the $150-200 range? Not sure what the chances are of getting them before the weekend using Next Day Air but ...

I recommended this a page back to someone else, it's one of the best 210mm knives you will find and is only $160.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I recommended this a page back to someone else, it's one of the best 210mm knives you will find and is only $160.

I actually saw that recommendation right after posting this and then after reading the reviews on CKTG, I ordered two as gifts. Thanks!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

So I got 2 sets of japanese knives for christmas

Backstory: I cook a lot personally and professionally and, shamefully, my only big knife at home is a hand me down henckels santoku. I actually like the santoku a lot, because I have tiny trump hands, but it's a little light and it doesn't hold an edge for long. I almost asked my parents for just a nice santoku (I was looking at Misono UX10) but I decided since I don't have a proper chef's knife at all at home to round out my collection instead with a euro style chef knife so I've got something big and heavy when I need it. My paring knives also suck so I asked for and received the tojiro DP chef+paring set. Then by complete coincidence I received a shin togiharu damascus gyuto+petty set from other family. Now I have to decide which of the big knives I want to keep.

They are both UX10 and have almost exactly the same size and profile. The Tojiro blade is noticably thicker and heavier, which is in line with my desire for something bigger and heavier than the santoku to use as needed, but it feels very front heavy and ungainly and I think it's a foregone conclusion that this will never be my favorite knife for day to day poo poo. The gyuto is noticably lighter but the balance is much better, it feels agile in the hand like my santoku and I think I could get used to using it generally, which might still leave me wanting a heavier knife from time to time (cleaver time, I guess). I'm not going to keep both of them but the options rolling around in my mind include:

1.) return the gyuto, keep the chef knife, buy a nice santoku
2.) return the chef knife, keep the gyuto, evaluate whether I still want to spend a bunch of money on a nice santoku after using it a while

or i can just return all of it since shin stuff is kind of overpriced anyway and I don't really care about damascus steel, and buy something else that's a better value for the money

help me out, goons

Also I'd appreciate a recommendation for a good set of stones+fixer to learn to do this poo poo myself. I'll practice on the henckels for a while before I touch the good poo poo with it

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Keep both, dual wield.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Got one of these for Christmas, much to my surprise:
https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-S5288-Heavy-Duty-Cleaver/dp/B0019KATWY

No idea what I'm gonna do with it since I don't do a lot of butchery with large cuts, but I may have to start now. This thing is hefty as gently caress, it feels beastly in the hand. It's 1/4 thick all the way down the spine and through the tang, no joke.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

poverty goat posted:

help me out, goons

Ditch the chef knife and keep the gyuto. If you can already tell that the chef knife isn't right for you, it never will be.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
anyone know where in the UK i can get a tojiro shirogami gyuto without buying internationally so I can avoid paying import tax?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I don't know. Sorry.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

No idea what I'm gonna do with it since I don't do a lot of butchery with large cuts, but I may have to start now. This thing is hefty as gently caress, it feels beastly in the hand. It's 1/4 thick all the way down the spine and through the tang, no joke.

Cut up some big time vegetables with that, if you want.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, go axe murderer on some fuckin' kabocha.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I have one of those and find it fun to cut up whole chickens with in about 2 minutes. I also use it for large squash where I don't want to worry about ruining edges. That thing barely needs an edge it's heavy enough and goes through any bone I put it too with little trouble.

Have I mentioned that whole chickens are cheaper at my grocery? All those backbones make good stock too.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Ditch the chef knife and keep the gyuto. If you can already tell that the chef knife isn't right for you, it never will be.

I ended up warming up to the chef's knife, in the context that I prefer something lighter for almost everything but sometimes you need to open a bigass squash and your santoku just laughs at you and that's why I asked for a chef's knife in the first place. I think the gyuto would be a good middleground if I had to choose one knife to do everything but since I don't have to choose and people are giving me all these nice knives all of a sudden I'm gonna stick with my original plan and dual wield the chef's knife with a santoku. So I'm exchanging the matching gyuto/petty pair for a misono ux10 santoku based on a few strong recommendations.

Anyway, after weighing my sharpening options I decided to try this all metal edge pro clone since gadgets like this are extremely my poo poo. I picked up just 600, 1200 and 6000 grit legit edge pro stones to go with it but now my friends and family are all starting to do the "wow, I didn't know knives could be sharp! take these!" and trying to get me to sharpen all their never sharpened knives with chips down the bevel and poo poo. Obviously I'm gonna need something coarser than 600 to start. How low should I go? My options are 120, 220 and 400.

e: as for the sharpener, read the top amazon review, it does need a little sanding among other things and in my case one of the wingscrews was useless and had to be drilled out and replaced almost immediately. but is is $20, and made of steel. I gave all my lovely old knives a once over with 600 grit this afternoon and finished my lovely henckels santoku with the 1200 to get the hang of it and I'm very happy with the results.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 2, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my gal got me a 9" messermeister meridian elite for xmas, I was missing a quality chef knife in my lineup. a friend got me a wüsthof classic ikon 8in chef also. drowning in solingen steel, and no complaints in sight. wüsthof seems to be holding an edge better, but messermeister has better weight (size difference notwithstanding) and balance.

edit : specifically, the messermeister balances out more perfectly than any other of my knives at the exact center of the knife when using the 'blade' grip. (which is of course how everyone should be gripping their knives). The second closest in balance I own is a MAC Mighty santoku. other german knives skew heavily towards the handle (the wüsthof almost comically so - definitely designed for a handle grip user), and the japanese/chinese knives I have skew slightly more towards the blade side - but are also overall maybe half the weight - so perfect for use with a push-cut, which is how I use them.

all to say, if you're thinking of getting a german blade, check out messermeister as an option.

edit : never henckels, I hope it goes without saying. I have used a handful of their knives and own a couple myself, they're almost comical in comparison to their counterparts. poor balance, poor weight, bad edge retention.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 4, 2017

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I imagine Sonoma knife sharpening is really hit and miss? I need my Chinese cleaver and chef's knife sharpened but am debating a purchase vs a servicing.

Would probably go with one of those arm based sharpening fixtures over a traditional whetstone. My knives may be sub 50$ pieces but the cleaver in particular is my baby.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

I imagine Sonoma knife sharpening is really hit and miss? I need my Chinese cleaver and chef's knife sharpened but am debating a purchase vs a servicing.

Would probably go with one of those arm based sharpening fixtures over a traditional whetstone. My knives may be sub 50$ pieces but the cleaver in particular is my baby.

The arm based ones work well, just practice on a knife you don't care too much about first, I was able to get my old POS Ikea santoku to shaving sharpness after a couple tries with one of the cheap knockoff sharpeners off of Amazon.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

I was just talking about this in the TFR knife thread. The objection that I have to EdgePro type sharpening systems is that they don't produce a consistent bevel across the length of the edge. That is, the bevel at the tip won't the the same as the bevel in the middle of the blade. For most knives this isn't that much of an issue, but it's most noticeable on a large, comparatively flat (in terms of belly) blade. Like a Chinese cleaver.

On the other hand it's dead loving simple to sharpen large, comparatively flat blades using a boring old stone. So if you're even remotely interested in learning to sharpen using a stone you're already pretty much set up with the best case practice scenario---easy blade geometry, inexpensive knife, probably has steel that takes an edge easily, and lots and lots of blade to grind back to if you gently caress up (you won't gently caress up that bad).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

I was just talking about this in the TFR knife thread. The objection that I have to EdgePro type sharpening systems is that they don't produce a consistent bevel across the length of the edge. That is, the bevel at the tip won't the the same as the bevel in the middle of the blade. For most knives this isn't that much of an issue, but it's most noticeable on a large, comparatively flat (in terms of belly) blade. Like a Chinese cleaver.
You can get around this by moving the blade under a stone that saws back and forth in place.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

You can get around this by moving the blade under a stone that saws back and forth in place.
Kinda. But that's a pain in the rear end and you're going to lose the consistency you get out of most guide systems. And then unless you're moving the blade a millimeter at a time and have really loving amazing instincts you're going to end up with a mosaic of flat bevels across the blade instead of a single smooth one. Like if you are even moderately competent with a stone freehand you'll get a better finished edge freehand than sawing away at individual sections of blade.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I need way more practice sharpening in a bench stone, but it definitely gets better over time.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks. This is my baby:

I bought it in a small storefront in Chengdu and the guy selling it said that they owned a small factory that produces them. I won't say whether I believe him or not but I will say we both benefit from that story. The heft is great and when I bought it the edge was spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
I know people recommend you don't buy knife sets but this poo poo is on sale and I think I have seen the brand recommended here somewhere. Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Contemporary-Self-Sharpening-15-piece-Technology/dp/B01CY3M83W?tag=dreldarion-20

or this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9DS5P7/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2CPPWBZXMMUAD&coliid=I12SXPVD9MD8PM

The second set is just a set of the Victorinox recommended in the OP so I guess the only downside there is you are paying more for knives you probably won't need?

• Locked thread