Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I don't want to get stuck, is their an easy guide to Final Fantasy Tactics? I know the game can be broken 28 times over

Use multiple save files, cycle 2-3 for active gameplay saves (which ensures you should never save yourself in a point of no return sequence) and save between chapters. Monks are good and you can get them early in the game (squire->knight->monk). Getting a monk with chakra in chapter 1 makes life much better too because you can spam it for hp/mp, the latter making the whole "low level mages run dry after 2-3 casts" thing a non-issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Vermain posted:

It has fancied-up language because Alexander O. Smith is a gigantic classical literature nerd who knows his stuff. He did the re-translation of Tactics for War of the Lions, too. I like it since it gives the goings-on a Shakespearan air, and he doesn't go too off the deep end with the archaic words he uses like "quiddity" or "paling".

I thought it was just 'cause he has a giant boner for George R. R. Martin.

But I guess he didn't actually invent the word "mummer", so maybe he did read some actual literature.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I tried ff12 and the plot was incomprehensible because every other sentence was "<fantasy name> went to <fantasy name> to <fantasy name> a <fantasy name>"

e: ultra hot take, ff8 is the best and I can't wait for ultimecia's castle as a raid

same i only like rpg's where Nigel went to London to live a life as banker.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vermain posted:

It has fancied-up language because Alexander O. Smith is a gigantic classical literature nerd who knows his stuff. He did the re-translation of Tactics for War of the Lions, too. I like it since it gives the goings-on a Shakespearan air, and he doesn't go too off the deep end with the archaic words he uses like "quiddity" or "paling".

He gave us Argath though, and while that dude definitely speaks like a stereotypical dork, it's ugly as gently caress to read.

It's definitely a better translation outside of that though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They need to add Viera and then make the gender dimorphism the opposite of Auri, so that female Viera are tall and lean and male Viera are cute little pudgy ukes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think all the fujos just collectively died of communal nosebleed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They add Viera but the females can't wear skimpy clothes or gear.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
A viera in a bunnysuit would be a double negative.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I loved the localization for FFXII and War of the Lions. They added a whole other layer of charm to those games. I never really knew who was behind them though, so that's pretty neat to know.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

That was me, and it was this essay. It's good!

This is a very good thing and I'm bringing it back to this page. Also, I'm loving this Final Fantasy derail in my Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward thread. Final Fantasy is very cool and good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was gonna say they should put in the ratfolk from ff9 instead of Viera, but upon reflection all I really want is Freya's hat

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

CrashScreen posted:

I loved the localization for FFXII and War of the Lions. They added a whole other layer of charm to those games. I never really knew who was behind them though, so that's pretty neat to know.

The War of the Lions translation was done by noted mad man Koji Fox so it's not surprising that it's good.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It's a common misconception that Alex O Smith did FFT; he did Vagrant Story, FFXII, and FFTA2, but FFT: War of the Lions was a dream team of Koji Fox and Tom Slattery (FFV and VI GBA retranslations) :eng101:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TheHeadSage posted:

The War of the Lions translation was done by noted mad man Koji Fox so it's not surprising that it's good.

It's just a shame that WOTL is a garbage port performance-wise.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I am okay with this.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Bad player question time. Should monks just use mantra whenever it is available or just keep it in their back pocket for emergencies and possibly let it go to waste? Saving it for emergencies sounds obvious but using it every time it is available could help free up healer to do damage. Or am I overthinking this and it doesn't really matter?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Bad player question time. Should monks just use mantra whenever it is available or just keep it in their back pocket for emergencies and possibly let it go to waste? Saving it for emergencies sounds obvious but using it every time it is available could help free up healer to do damage. Or am I overthinking this and it doesn't really matter?

If you're not doing savage raids, it doesn't really matter and you might as well just use it whenever it's up. Maybe prioritize hitting the tank with it during a big pull in exdr or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Specifically, the shockingly bad performance isn't "the PSP sucks and isn't powerful enough to run it".

It's just hard coded into the game and if you have a CFW PSP, and it may work on emulator too, you can run a patch alongside the game that fixes slowdown. You can also get one that unfucks the aspect ratio, which comes at the expense at reducing how much of the screen the game takes up.

If you're not raiding, keep Mantra available for big pulls if you're doing a dungeon with good speedrun pulls or bosses if not so your healer has more chance to DPS. Anything that makes healer intensive situations a bit easier is appreciated.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 25, 2016

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Would love to see the official forum posts whining about this decision.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The Android/iOS port fixes the performance issues, at least.

Yes.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Viera are far superior to catgirls.

Tails suck.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:captainpop:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lemon-Lime posted:

I had actually heard the exact opposite to this. However, I will re-investigate.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I had actually heard the exact opposite to this. However, I will re-investigate.

On my Nexus 4 I get slowdown occasionally but it's nowhere near as bad as the PSP version, and actually for the most part the game moves quite a bit faster. You also have much finer control over the camera in combat so there's less headaches in trying to see around obstructions and whatnot. And if you're sick of seeing Chapter 1's cutscenes all the time like I am, they actually implemented cutscene skipping. Menu controls are a little awkward but otherwise I think it's the best version of the game to date.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It "fixes" the issue by having battle animations play out at 2x speed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

do we know what the stormblood tank is yet???
I think the better question is "are we sure we're getting another tank".

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
More like "Are we sure there's more than one job?"

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Themage posted:

We know we're getting more than one and we also know we're getting less than three. I think you'll find this setup does not allow many options.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Themage posted:

At NA fanfest they said "New jobs!" With 2 silhouettes implying there's more than 1. I'm guessing there will be 2 since 3 was a nightmare for them to balance, apparently.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

e: ultra hot take, ff8 is the best and I can't wait for ultimecia's castle as a raid

That existed in FFXI, it was called Salvage and it loving ruled.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

seiferguy posted:

At NA fanfest they said "New jobs!" With 2 silhouettes implying there's more than 1. I'm guessing there will be 2 since 3 was a nightmare for them to balance, apparently.

Tokyo also specifically stated that there were "Multiple New Jobs". So there are at least 2.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There was also supposedly a tweet which got immediately taken down that mentioned Red Mage was the first of two jobs. So rip dancer

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Sadly, S-E mobile games are the exact opposite of

l i t t l e m o n e y.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 25, 2016

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

:nono:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If it's only two jobs, the second will probably have to dps as well unless they want three tanks and four healers or vice versa. I'm still counting on three jobs, since didn't astrologian kind of come out of left field for HW?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Having an extra tank job would not be a bad thing, it'd restore healer queue privilege. Ever since astro got buffed to gently caress, queues as a healer suck. Also, didn't they keep saying no 3rd job because it takes too long?

Still, pretty sure SAM is going to be a dps. They have a good variety of tonks heals already, but different kinds of dps are lacking. There was only 2 casters in this high fantasy game, and zero sword dps.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would like Samurai, if it is the next job, to be Tank, if only because I feel like roles outside of DPS tend to help make players have better all around awareness of the game and better players overall and helps reduce the tendency to tunnel vision.

I might just be imagining that aspect of healer/tanking though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Truga posted:

Having an extra tank job would not be a bad thing, it'd restore healer queue privilege. Ever since astro got buffed to gently caress, queues as a healer suck. Also, didn't they keep saying no 3rd job because it takes too long?

Still, pretty sure SAM is going to be a dps. They have a good variety of tonks heals already, but different kinds of dps are lacking. There was only 2 casters in this high fantasy game, and zero sword dps.

Samurai is going to be a parry tank

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dark knight and warrior are already parry tanks though?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'll go dark horse and say Samurai will be a healer. Just to freak everyone out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

I'll go dark horse and say Samurai will be a healer. Just to freak everyone out.

While you were practicing medicine I was studying the blade.

• Locked thread